PDA

View Full Version : Alpine birds

samwyse
11-02-2016, 10:48 PM
I'm curious as to what sort of birds I can expect to find above the tree line. I will have time to kill in the next few weeks and have been thinking of exploring up and around Cheam and other high-up spots. Any input or knowledge is greatly welcome.

Chopper
11-02-2016, 10:54 PM
Blue grouse for sure ... whisky jacks are lots of fun, bring some good bird seed, they love it. Eat out of your hand every time. I don't know what it is about those birds, but ive been in the most remote areas and they just have no fear of people. Really cool little guys.

samwyse
11-02-2016, 10:59 PM
I was reading that blues like deadfall and burned zones. Haha I think I'll avoid luring a whiskey jack, can't imagine much meat ;)

BowRunner
11-03-2016, 08:12 AM
The Blues are great fun and tasty too. They live in beautiful country.

dracb
11-03-2016, 12:00 PM
Ptarmigan????

jagen mit DDrs
11-24-2016, 12:28 PM
we took 4 of our dogs up in to the alpine this fall to hunt whitetailed ptarmigan this year....lots of fun.lots of hiking and pretty good tasting birds.

BowRunner
11-29-2016, 09:06 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6118&stc=1

Treeline birds...this country holds blues.

Gumsehwah
12-07-2016, 12:26 PM
Do you hunt the treelike, or the meadows?

BowRunner
12-14-2016, 06:34 PM
Do you hunt the treelike, or the meadows?

In this case, walking the draws between tree stands produced. Thus meadowlands with close by tree cover. After stalking into the area after a couple of muley bucks, a grouse flush (or us ;) ) spooked the bucks. We hung out, taking a high position, and the grouse started settling back down and strutting their stuff.

thwack...goes the arrow.

Cereal crumb crust stuffed with Monterey Jack cheese.

Gumsehwah
12-14-2016, 09:11 PM
Yum!!! :-d

Kid Hunter
05-19-2017, 06:17 PM
I know this is an old thread but I found a good number of grouse up in the cheam range early season last year. Like some have said they seemed to like hanging out in meadows with knee high shrubbery/grass. This kind of landscape definitely makes it easy to sneak up on them. I was able to get close enough to chop the head off of one with my machete! I figured it would be more fun to try and get one with the machete than the shotgun and it worked out very much to my surprise!

charbrc
06-18-2017, 10:35 AM
The ptarmigan like to travel in groups. They will wander in the tall grass for food, but they do hang around the edge of the openings by the trees. I use a dog so I have a little warning when birds are close.