PDA

View Full Version : Going try and fill the Boston Bar doe tags. Closest gas? Any Whitetails?

caddisguy
11-02-2016, 07:55 PM
Me and caddisgirl both have LEH authorizations for 3-14 does. I don't really want to leave my regular area during the rut, but I figure we applied for the draw and go it, so it would be a crime not to take a crack harvesting a tastey mule doe or two.

We are going to head up there on Friday night, probably arriving around 10:30-11pm. What is the closest gas station that is open late? (lets say until at least midnight to be safe) ... is it Hope or is there one open late in Yale? Hoping to top off the tank at least once after Hope, as the Jeep doesn't hold much gas and I am only packing a 5 gallon container.

Also has anyone heard of any whitetails close to Boston Bar in 3-14? I don't have a tag and would prefer not to buy one unless the odds of seeing a whitetail are fairly decent (I know there are whitetails all over, even Chilliwack/Hope, but I am talking significant numbers) Also we are not going up high or anything... we will be in 3-14 still darn close to Boston Bar.

Appreciate any insight about the gas or WT probability and if there is a doe tied to a stump somewhere feel free to PM me, but I have been up there once and have some decent ideas on where to look :D

Salty
11-02-2016, 08:10 PM
I don't know for sure caddis but I have a feeling they roll up the streets pretty early up in Boston Bar like about 10pm closing time iirc hopefully others can confirm. Its less than 70k from Hope though so you'll still have a pretty full tank. There's a couple stations in Yale too but if they're open they're really close to Hope so no big gain.. Can't help about white tail other than rumours they're around Lytton just up the road

shuswapbear
11-02-2016, 08:15 PM
Just looked up gas stations in Boston Bar area most close at 10pm one is a a place called Kamoose store and gas supposed to be ooen 24hr. Also the only gas station in Yale says it closes at 9pm 7 days a week.

caddisguy
11-02-2016, 08:20 PM
I don't know for sure caddis but I have a feeling they roll up the streets pretty early up in Boston Bar like about 10pm closing time iirc hopefully others can confirm. Its less than 70k from Hope though so you'll still have a pretty full tank. There's a couple stations in Yale too but if they're open they're really close to Hope so no big gain.. Can't help about white tail other than rumours they're around Lytton just up the road

Thanks Salty. It would be about 1/3 of a tank... small tanks on them TJ's and they guzzle gas, but still.... 2/3 of a tank and a 5 gallon container should be plenty. Last time I went up there gas was more of an issue because we drove up all the way into 3-13... pretty much in Merritt lol ... this time we'll probably be staying really close to Boston Bar so we can always zip down in the afternoon if needed. Basically just want to make sure we have enough gas to make it back to Hope if we had any sort of emergency.

caddisguy
11-02-2016, 08:22 PM
Just looked up gas stations in Boston Bar area most close at 10pm one is a a place called Kamoose store and gas supposed to be ooen 24hr. Also the only gas station in Yale says it closes at 9pm 7 days a week.

Ah perfect! I'll take down those 24/hour ones. Sounds like gas won't be a concern at all. Thanks!!

caddisguy
11-02-2016, 08:40 PM
I think I am all set! I just checked the weather too and it looks like some decent south winds which works perfectly since we will be hiking roughly north... though I guess we could switch that up easy enough if it changes. Thermals might mess with us a little bit in the morning though.

I am going to be blowing the snot out of a fawn / fawn distress call... just occurred to me there could still be some salmon bears around lower down? We don't really want to see any on this trip.

Big Hoss
11-02-2016, 08:58 PM
The Kamhoose gas station is shut down if I remember correctly

slamman190
11-02-2016, 10:02 PM
Yes, Kahmoose is closed.

whitespringer
11-03-2016, 10:44 PM
Caddies guy, that area is full of blacktails, not a mule or whitetail to be had.

Bonz
11-04-2016, 07:42 AM
not sure how late town gas is ope till.
no whiteys around there, your region is mule. across river is blacktails till you travel up more towards the ferry to bring you back to hyway
and yes, lots of bears around

Bonz
11-04-2016, 07:43 AM
you should be able to punch that tag easy.

caddisguy
11-06-2016, 02:45 PM
Thanks for all the replies and PM's about this. We still-hunted on sign yesterday and didn't see anything. Did some exploring (road hunting) this AM and saw a couple does... was trying to get my wife a crack at her first animal but just no great chances. Saw a few grouse and a ton of moose sign which was a bit of a surprise. Dang shame we didn't key in on where to hunt the first day... should have road hunted the first morning and still-hunted after keying in on where to be... shouda woulda coulda.... had fun though and will put in for it again next year... back to blacktail bucks and no more chasing does this year.

^^^ this is why actual scouting is important :)

Whonnock Boy
11-06-2016, 02:58 PM
At least you got out. Important lesson there. Whenever I venture into a new area, I always like to have the wheels and glass do the work at first. After that, then dig deeper with the boot leather.

ruger#1
11-06-2016, 03:00 PM
You should try hunting the power lines. I have seen moose and elk tracks around Boston Bar. Some of those creeks have some nice sized fish in them.

Piperdown
11-06-2016, 03:12 PM
Caddies guy, that area is full of blacktails, not a mule or whitetail to be had.

Beg to differ i saw the biggest mulie i have ever seen just out of boston bar where the air strip is on the side of the highway.

albravo2
11-06-2016, 03:43 PM
Me and caddisgirl both have LEH authorizations for 3-14 does.

Dude. Don't take any more than 3. 14 would be way too many.

Couldn't resist;-)

ajr5406
11-06-2016, 03:51 PM
Thanks for all the replies and PM's about this. We still-hunted on sign yesterday and didn't see anything. Did some exploring (road hunting) this AM and saw a couple does... was trying to get my wife a crack at her first animal but just no great chances. Saw a few grouse and a ton of moose sign which was a bit of a surprise. Dang shame we didn't key in on where to hunt the first day... should have road hunted the first morning and still-hunted after keying in on where to be... shouda woulda coulda.... had fun though and will put in for it again next year... back to blacktail bucks and no more chasing does this year.

^^^ this is why actual scouting is important :)

Bummer...

Any luck with a Blacktail buck this year?

caddisguy
11-06-2016, 05:17 PM
You guys are both right about mules vs. blacktails there. It is a mix of all sorts of hybrids (apparently a number of moose too) The ones we saw today looked more like blacktail genetics.

The first day, we hunted the timber near the powerlines, as the powerlines (the section we decided to start at... some other parts are pretty good) didn't look quite as appealing as on the satellite views (very grown in) ... definitely blacktail terrain in general. We found the trails, found the poop, a mix of what I normally see in my blacktail spots as well as big piles of what I would expect from mules around Kamloops.

No matter which way you slice it, you are hunting in blacktail habitat. It is tough. That said, within a short drive this morning, we were able to find a lot "more open" country we wished we would have keyed in on the day prior... also where we saw the does. As WB said, letting the wheels do the work would have been best in this scenario. As nice as satellite images are, combined with the advantage of driving through there a few years prior... a morning road hunt on the first day would have been a better strategy, albeit still no substitute for scouting before the actual hunt.

Had a really good time checking out a new place though... just a bummer because I really wanted caddisgirl to get her first animal. Will try our blacktail spot next weekend... would be wicked if she got a crack at the elusive 5x5 :D

whitespringer
11-08-2016, 07:09 AM
Beg to differ i saw the biggest mulie i have ever seen just out of boston bar where the air strip is on the side of the highway.

Glad to hear it. The last two weeks seen close to 20 deer, all blacktails. Some pretty big bodies on them. Always wondered if there was cross breeding going on.

Wild one
11-08-2016, 08:16 AM
Over the years more and more mule deer have moved into Boston bar when I was a kid it was basically all blacktail. Lots of hybrids in there now.

I have not hunted deer there in along time most my old spots are logged, overgrown or really tough to access now

good thing the mule deer breeding out blaktails are not WT or the would be on the need to exterminate list for effecting another species lol

Bonz
11-09-2016, 09:26 AM

on the hyway side its mules. across river into north bend/ nahatlach area is blacks

Wild one
11-09-2016, 09:41 AM
on the hyway side its mules. across river into north bend/ nahatlach area is blacks

Seen the odd mule deer there as well but blacktail are still dominant in that area

Adult_Onset_Hunter
11-09-2016, 11:25 AM
Same tag. Will be trying this weekend (fingers crossed).