PDA

View Full Version : Cougar

Dorarem
11-02-2016, 06:57 PM
any chance to get a cougar without dogs? just walking in a bush to check tracks? thanks going to hunt in region 3 near Kamloops

rocksteady
11-02-2016, 07:01 PM
Very slim odds... does happen but very rarely

rocksteady
11-02-2016, 07:05 PM
I spent a couple years chasing cats with a buddies hounds. Ended up getting one without absolute fluke... bumped into it on a fresh pile of road kill

plumbcrazy
11-02-2016, 07:09 PM
Look at the face book page...it happens

srupp
11-02-2016, 07:14 PM
Actually heard of someone doing it . however he needed dogs to find the cat after it ran...the dogs closed the deal...only seen 3 cougars in the wild in decades..
Steven

Glenny
11-02-2016, 07:19 PM
Try a fawn i distress call and stay put.

pappy
11-02-2016, 07:32 PM
I bumped mine while trying to look for Wolves, 100% luck. I spotted it and it spotted me, it took off but didn't go far. Once I hiked to where he was I found him 30 yards away, looking at me sitting like a big house cat. Tracking was a chore with no dogs but the first shot was a good one so I had him in my hands after two hours, I waited 40 minutes after shooting to let him calm down before I started tracking. I suggest bbq steaks if you ever get one.

Ohwildwon
11-02-2016, 07:34 PM
We saw beauty tom, north of Kami a couple weeks ago..

Mid day scouting in the rhino, bedded down 50 yards off the FSR...

Just sat there for 5 min checking us out...

If it was Nov, with tag in hand, would have been as easy as it gets..

Bunny pop is crazy around there, good to see!

Big Lew
11-02-2016, 07:59 PM
Can't say about in region 3, but I think you would have a better chance in region 1 or 2
if you're allowed to use an attractant and/or call. There are quite a few cats north of
Mission and in the Upper Stave system.

Buckmeister
11-02-2016, 08:03 PM
I know a guy who did it and was successful. However, it turned out he was the one being hunted. When he suddenly lost the track at a small trickle creek, he remember something his uncle told him about cats circling around when they know they are being tracked. They will try to confuse you, get behind you, wait for you to bend over to search the ground for the lost track, and then pounce. He turned around and the cat was crouched behind him at 15 yards. He put a bullet between his eyes.

adriaticum
11-02-2016, 08:31 PM
I have a spot in Chilliwack where I know there are cougars and I want to try and get one.
The problem is last year I didn't go there and the year before there was no snow and it's hard to see it without snow.
I think spotting one without snow is just luck.
But with snow on the ground the odds change a little bit.

Dorarem
11-02-2016, 08:45 PM
yes, thats what i was thinking. just go and find a track on the snow and follow them. ive heard that cats usually dont walk a lot.

Wile E
11-02-2016, 09:04 PM
When I started hunting, relatively recently, I had a female jump from behind a log straight in the air, right in front of me. Then pranced away. If she wanted, she'd have been on top me. I remember the click of my safety, but didn't even raise the gun.

Anyways, I bought a tag the next day, and have been for 4 years. I figured it'd be easy. I spent 2 seasons following tracks, fresh ones. Even tracks in my tracks. 2 seasons solid, every weekend. I took it personal, really I did. I still go there every few weeks.

I know if I go there now, there will be fresh tracks. This place doesn't need snow to show, acres of soft ground, more than half sand.

I've never seen another cougar.
I think it's obvious, I don't have dogs. ;)

Backcountry Hunter
11-02-2016, 09:15 PM
Go to the east koots. Have personally seen 5 in 3 years and one of which was following us. Other then that extremely tough

Weatherby Fan
11-02-2016, 09:18 PM
My nephew got one hunting Elk in area 4 this year, they were working in on a Bull Elk when a cougar showed up, gave him lots of time to kill it.

GoatGuy
11-02-2016, 09:41 PM
Finding and sitting on a cougar kill would probably be the best approach.

Treed
11-02-2016, 10:06 PM
I think they don't exist. The Sasquatch make their tracks! 20 years in the bush and still never seen one. Pisses me off. They were my favorite animal growing up. Had this great book about a cougar - Yellow Eyes. Tried to buy the book recently for my kids and its $100. I've followed them, been followed by them but never seen one. Just got a great pup that might improve my chances. At 4 months old he treed his first bobcat. West Siberian Laika - what an amazing dog. He might lead me to my first cat. My buddy is a trapper and he cooked up a cougar roast - apricot marinade. Haven't seen one but I've eaten one! Yum.

twoSevenO
11-02-2016, 11:27 PM
I bumped mine while trying to look for Wolves, 100% luck. I spotted it and it spotted me, it took off but didn't go far. Once I hiked to where he was I found him 30 yards away, looking at me sitting like a big house cat. Tracking was a chore with no dogs but the first shot was a good one so I had him in my hands after two hours, I waited 40 minutes after shooting to let him calm down before I started tracking. I suggest bbq steaks if you ever get one.

is this a joke or do people actually eat cougars? WTF? that can't possibly taste good .....

dracb
11-02-2016, 11:30 PM
Fresh snow, fresh tracks, spend enough time to try to determine where cat is by driving adjacent roads, set up with predator call (deer), call continuously for 45 minute to an hour.

If cat does not come in check adjacent roads or move a mile in the direction the cat tracks are headed and set up again. Repeat as necessary.

Locating the fresh tracks improves the probability of a contact dramatically. Without them the probability of calling a cougar may well not be a high as 1:1000 or even 10,000

scotty30-06
11-02-2016, 11:31 PM
Is that the area I showed you.....tons of cougars up that way

Looking_4_Jerky
11-03-2016, 12:07 AM
yes, thats what i was thinking. just go and find a track on the snow and follow them. ive heard that cats usually dont walk a lot.

I've had buddies release hounds that have taken hours to catch up with a cat. Unless you have some way of ascertaining that the track is less than an hour old, you could be walking for a hell of a long way!

squamishhunter
11-03-2016, 06:03 AM
is this a joke or do people actually eat cougars? WTF? that can't possibly taste good .....

Cougar meat is delicious. Almost turkey texture, in my opinion.

boxhitch
11-03-2016, 06:36 AM
Agreed. Cougar is usually the first empty dish at a fish and game banquet. Stoganoff or just roasted in gravy Mmmm
270, been to a banquet?

Squamch
11-03-2016, 07:10 AM

Cougar is my favourite game meat. It's outstanding!

rocksteady
11-03-2016, 07:25 AM

No joke.. Its really good. Very similar to pork. I had my cat made into hams and smokies.. They were awesome.

BigfishCanada
11-03-2016, 08:04 AM
Walking into one is a fluke, even calling yourself will be, they are smart and walk in slowly.

Heres a video that may help

https://youtu.be/Xrzbqiurbus

tomcat
11-03-2016, 10:05 AM
is this a joke or do people actually eat cougars? WTF? that can't possibly taste good .....IMHO every deer should be recycled through a cougar for dinner fare.

deltawaterfowler
11-03-2016, 10:22 AM

Cougar is apparently some of the best eating you'll ever enjoy. Think about what they eat.

MichelD
11-03-2016, 10:27 AM
I think I've seen seven cougars in over 50 years of rambling around in the bush. Only three I might have had a shot at if I wished.

wideopenthrottle
11-03-2016, 11:22 AM
I've seen 6 in the last 25 years ....2 roadside, one in camp at skoocumchuck hotsprings, 3 in 2 days near gang ranch..the one big tom I snuck up behind at gang ranch was sitting on a big boulder looking away from me when I crept up on him in super stealth mode...after I had watched him for awhile I made a noise to let him know I was there so he would move along and I could get back to deer hunting...he looked at me and his eyes/expression said "WTF how did you sneak up on me"...he gave me a scowl and a growl and bounded off....twas a proud moment for me knowing I could sneak up on a cougar

Lozzie
11-03-2016, 05:28 PM
It's best to go with a houndsmen, unless you put the cat in a tree you will not be able to verify sex before you shoot. If you shoot a female you could be potentially killing 3 or 4 cougars as they stash their young while hunting for the first 2-3 years of their young ones lives. I've shot 2 Toms on Vancouver Island one with hounds and one in self preservation while bow hunting. If you really want a good Tom and you want to do it the right way, find an experienced houndsmen willing to take you out ( tall order )and do all you can to help him with the dogs, training, etc. anything he needs. Maybe you'll learn that predator hunting with hounds is for you, maybe you'll learn something, maybe you'll get a chance at a cat. A lot of guys want to chase cats when deer season ends but not everyone has the patience to run dogs all year round, It's the year round conditioning, training and financial and time related sacrifices that make for productive hound hunting. I'm not a houndmen but many of my peers are and I respect what they do, do not convince yourself that you can buy e-calls and scents and become an efficient and responsible cat hunter, in my opinion you'll be wasting money and spinning your wheels. If you really want it, put in the work or pay for a guided hunt. To the houndsmen out there, cheers boys I appreciate your hard work and the fact you keep a few more deer on the hill.

mpotzold
11-03-2016, 06:43 PM
I've seen 6 in the last 25 years ....2 roadside, one in camp at skoocumchuck hotsprings, 3 in 2 days near gang ranch..the one big tom I snuck up behind at gang ranch was sitting on a big boulder looking away from me when I crept up on him in super stealth mode...after I had watched him for awhile I made a noise to let him know I was there so he would move along and I could get back to deer hunting...he looked at me and his eyes/expression said "WTF how did you sneak up on me"...he gave me a scowl and a growl and bounded off....twas a proud moment for me knowing I could sneak up on a cougar

A VI guy hunting deer by the Fraser River bluffs between Gang & Ward Creek was charged by a cougar. His sixth sense told him that something was not right so he loaded his rifle(a 30/06 if I recall) & was ready. He shot the cougar only feet away. If I recall he was charged from behind. He didn't have a cougar tag & went to report the self defence shooting ASAP.

In 50 years of hunting only saw 2 cougars. I'm sure that 100's saw me.
One was so fast that it disappeared in a blink of an eye. There were about 1/2 dozen does/fawns in the same area.

The other one I could have easily killed being less than 30 feet from the camper door. I shot just above its head. Was attracted by Eve's great cooking. We didn't know he was there waiting for a handout until the the loud scream announced his presence. Both cougars seen were in the Gang area.

Very similar sound!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE7YOJVSoIs

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE7YOJVSoIs)

Rotorwash
11-03-2016, 06:52 PM
One came charging in on us coyote hunting. Rabbit in distress I think. Unnerving to track. I don't use 40gr for coyotes anymore because of that experience

wideopenthrottle
11-03-2016, 09:46 PM
I have never even had a cougar tag let alone hunt them but the hounds man hunt sounds pretty cool!!

adriaticum
11-03-2016, 09:51 PM
Very similar sound!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE7YOJVSoIs

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE7YOJVSoIs)

holly jesus, that sounds is so familiar.
Buddy and I were hiking into our spot a few years back and we heard this right off the road behind some bushes.
The bush was so thick that you really couldn't see from the road so we went to investigate.
Couldn't see anything but we found fresh cougar tracks in the snow that day. We posted it on here too.
Now I'm sure that horror sound was a cougar.
Maybe I get lucky this winter.

Glenny
11-04-2016, 05:00 PM
holly jesus, that sounds is so familiar.
Buddy and I were hiking into our spot a few years back and we heard this right off the road behind some bushes.
The bush was so thick that you really couldn't see from the road so we went to investigate.
Couldn't see anything but we found fresh cougar tracks in the snow that day. We posted it on here too.
Now I'm sure that horror sound was a cougar.
Maybe I get lucky this winter.

Man that is a spooky noise. I wonder what its all about. Just saying hello or get off my turf. Sounds quite aggressive

twoSevenO
11-04-2016, 05:51 PM
I had no idea a carnivore could ever be considered good eating .... i still refuse to believe it. Lol

GoatGuy
11-04-2016, 06:05 PM
I had no idea a carnivore could ever be considered good eating .... i still refuse to believe it. Lol

Something that has been perpetuated by the anti hunting movement over the years.

twoSevenO
11-04-2016, 07:18 PM
Something that has been perpetuated by the anti hunting movement over the years.

Wellbwhy dont people eat grizzly bears then?

GoatGuy
11-04-2016, 07:22 PM
Ppl do......

Wild one
11-04-2016, 07:26 PM

Cougar/Lynx/bobcat all taste good as for grizz I have eaten mountain grizz and it tastes fine

I won't eat black bear that are feeding on salmon rivers and have no interest in trying a coastal grizz that is doing the same

twoSevenO
11-04-2016, 07:57 PM
Ya'll weird .... i could never

adriaticum
11-04-2016, 08:15 PM

Dude get a grip.
Meat is meat

rocksteady
11-04-2016, 08:17 PM
It is awesome... no bullshit...

Salty
11-04-2016, 08:41 PM
I know a few people who are big fans. I've only ate it as peperoni which was good but that doesn't tell ya much.

rocksteady
11-04-2016, 08:59 PM
Cougar hams are dee-lush-us

adriaticum
11-04-2016, 09:07 PM
Eat your cougar or if you don't someone else will

GoatGuy
11-04-2016, 09:53 PM
Hopefully you've never eaten salmon, halibut, any kind of bottom fish or crustacean really. White tails have been observed eating 'meat' on occasion as well lol.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-04-2016, 09:56 PM
Cougar is always a huge hit at our game banquet.

SSS

Stone Sheep Steve
11-04-2016, 09:58 PM
Hopefully you've never eaten salmon, halibut, any kind of bottom fish or crustacean really. White tails have been observed eating 'meat' on occasion as well lol.

Yep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQOQdBLHrLk

mpotzold
11-04-2016, 10:05 PM

For the same reason they don't eat wolves & coyotes.
I personally would never eat an animal(fish not included) that has fed on fish or carrion.
Never ate black bear meat but I wouldn't be surprised that the one that has been feeding on only berries, fruit, grass & other greens is OK.

Ovis17
11-04-2016, 10:21 PM
I have had cougar a few times. It was very good, and as previously mentioned, the first to go at game banquets.

RiverOtter
11-05-2016, 05:05 AM
Cougars basically live on fresh deer and rabbits......Very similar to pork, minus all the fat.

I'd eat it over bear any day and bear meat is pretty good itself, assuming spring clover fed.

mpotzold
11-05-2016, 12:42 PM
Cougars basically live on fresh deer and rabbits......Very similar to pork, minus all the fat.

I'd eat it over bear any day and bear meat is pretty good itself, assuming spring clover fed.

That is the reason I would try cougar given a chance.

"Bears that have been eating bloated carrion tend to taste and smell like bloated carrion!" I'm sure the same rule applies to the other carnivores!
http://www.themeateater.com/2012/varied-black-bear-meat/

180grainer
11-05-2016, 12:50 PM
I've eaten cougar at a game banquet once. It was in a stew so can't really tell you what the actual meat tastes like. The stew was good. With respect to grizzly. They have culinary habits that should preclude them from the menu. Mainly, they don't just kill an animal and eat it. They kill an animal, bury it to let it rot, and then eat it. Even black bears, although they don't let the meat rot if they've killed something, have no qualms about eating rotted flesh if they find it. I'd have to be pretty damn hungry to eat grizzly meat and I don't care if it tastes like prime rib.

Hound Hunter
11-13-2016, 12:17 PM
use a foxpro caller , it might bring one into gun range , or cut a hot track on fresh snow and follow it up and try to jump the cat using the trailhound call on the fox pro ? always wanted to try that but haven't yet , no reason it would not work just remember to make the shot the instant you see it because when it realize's there is no hound's it will jump the tree , go after it again they never run far till they tree again . just keep right in front of him when treed , bark yourself at the tree . a big Tom cat will usually fall a sleep when treed , the female's are more nervous . this could be dangerous without dog's but alway's intensely exciting !