PDA

View Full Version : 3-18 / 3-19 rut update?

twoSevenO
11-02-2016, 02:38 PM
What dates are we looking at for the peak of the rut in 3-18/3-19 this year? Anyone have an update?

Thanks!

Whonnock Boy
11-02-2016, 02:45 PM
It's the same every year. From now until mid to late November. The variable that some don't account for is weather. Warm weather gives the perception that the rut is not happening, as the deer are not that active. A cold snap increases movement, and gives the impression that it is the peak of the rut.

.308SLAYER
11-02-2016, 02:46 PM
Yah buddy got one Saturday big buck very stinky

DeepJeep
11-02-2016, 02:48 PM
Not the exact answer you are looking for but this link should help you a bit...

http://www.wholesalesports.com/store/wsoo/en/rut-tracker

twoSevenO
11-02-2016, 04:13 PM
Warm weather gives the perception that the rut is not happening, as the deer are not that active. A cold snap increases movement, and gives the impression that it is the peak of the rut.

interesting point .... makes sense.

RackStar
11-02-2016, 04:22 PM
my fav time of the year. I love it.

Ryo
11-02-2016, 04:32 PM
Shot a stinky buck hovering over a harem of does last Friday in 3-19

hoochie
11-02-2016, 04:47 PM
what do they smell like? Piss?

walks with deer
11-02-2016, 05:12 PM
Umm a piss covered scent gland smells like rut...

Or you could say it smells like my hunting jacket lol...

twoSevenO
11-02-2016, 05:55 PM
what do they smell like? Piss?

Smells pretty disgusting to be honest. I always try to shoot my bucks in October to avoid the rut.

Last year I hunted Tunkwa for the day for Whitetails in November (cut my mulie tag on a 4 point in oct) and i smelled a buck before I could see him. That's how bad he reeked. I was still hunting some bush and I smelled him to my right and sure enough about a minute later he appears through some thick stuff .... I couldn't believe how smelly he was.

AgSilver
11-02-2016, 06:03 PM
Smells pretty disgusting to be honest. I always try to shoot my bucks in October to avoid the rut.

Last year I hunted Tunkwa for the day for Whitetails in November (cut my mulie tag on a 4 point in oct) and i smelled a buck before I could see him. That's how bad he reeked. I was still hunting some bush and I smelled him to my right and sure enough about a minute later he appears through some thick stuff .... I couldn't believe how smelly he was.

Stupid noob question - does that translate over to the meat as well?

Glenny
11-02-2016, 06:05 PM
Town bucks are sniffn does. So I think its go time.

Glenny
11-02-2016, 06:18 PM

No. Not if you dress it right. Get those tarsal glands off (clean your knife after that part) , hide off and cool down asap just like any other deer. imo. G

butthead
11-02-2016, 07:13 PM
Not the exact answer you are looking for but this link should help you a bit...

http://www.wholesalesports.com/store/wsoo/en/rut-tracker
thanks for that
it was cool
book marked it

Whonnock Boy
11-02-2016, 07:19 PM
It can if you don't remove all fat and sinew from the meat. That's where the "rut" smell holds.

Ryo
11-02-2016, 08:32 PM
Smells kind of like a sharp, aged skunk. I have a few sets of latex gloves on hand, and a knife just for leg removal. Switch gloves and knife after they're off, and there should be zero transfer of the smell to the meat. My steaks are delicious

AgSilver
11-02-2016, 09:15 PM
Good to know, thanks!

Looking_4_Jerky
11-02-2016, 09:42 PM
Good to know, thanks!
This is a hotly debated topic. Personally, I've never tasted a November mule deer I've liked, and I've eaten my own and lots of friends. They range from barely edible to worse, IMO. Some smell crazy bad and some barely noticeable, but I can always taste it in the meat. I don't shoot Nov mule deer any more. Some of my buddies don't seem to be bothered by it at all. To each their own. Interestingly, I find whitetail to taste fine in the rut, despite being just as stinky?

twoSevenO
11-02-2016, 10:03 PM

It's not a stupid question it's a good question. You've gotten your answer above already. As i've decided to do most of my deer the gutless method i think that would come especially handy in November .... touch as little of it as possible and avoid moving the whole stinky carcass around including your truck/jeep .... just get the meat and get out of there.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-02-2016, 10:09 PM
Be very meticulous when you field dress (gutless is
better)...and when you butcher and the meat should be completely fine.
Save those tarsal glands. I've had some cool experiences with them.

AgSilver
11-02-2016, 11:51 PM
Be very meticulous when you field dress (gutless is
better)...and when you butcher and the meat should be completely fine.
Save those tarsal glands. I've had some cool experiences with them.

I know what the answer should be (I think), but yet still feel inclined to ask....doing what, exactly?

twoSevenO
11-03-2016, 12:06 AM
I know what the answer should be (I think), but yet still feel inclined to ask....doing what, exactly?

probably rubs them on his cowboy boots when he's headin to the honky tonk to meet the ladies :lol:

Lozzie
11-03-2016, 05:32 PM
That's Awesome.

probably rubs them on his cowboy boots when he's headin to the honky tonk to meet the ladies :lol: