PDA

View Full Version : Calling moose in November around Kamloops

Logan
11-01-2016, 10:16 PM
Just wondering if anyone here thinks its even worth trying to call for a moose in November. The season is 2 weeks starting Nov 1st, I just don't wanna call for no reason and sit in one place if i'm better off to just motor around and glass a lot hoping for the best:?:

srupp
11-01-2016, 10:58 PM
Hmmm not highest odds..rut has ended by then..the odd cow not pregnant will come into second cycle .but most mature bulls are tired, hungry, cranky..the chance for some younger bulls to try...
November..start looking for food..specifically red willow..bulls will be consuming 40 pounds per day..red willow needs water . moisture look at creek outlets from lakes..bulls will not be travelling much..food to bedding area..close by feed..in amongst trees close by the edge..blocks wind. .makes hearing danger easier..warmer..bedding areas usually have multiple escape routes.

Key in on good feeding areas close by bedding areas..look for blue.color of tracks in the snow. Shadow..use optics don't go crashing into feed or bed areas. If cold moose will stand on edge of timber in dawns opening rays of warmth..look for feeding or sunning bulls. .if Nothing slowly still hunt into the wind in bedding areas..
Calling is very low probability..food is a certainty..
Cheers
Steven

todbartell
11-01-2016, 11:04 PM
Srupp sounds like he knows what he's doing - go with that ^^^^ :D

HarryToolips
11-02-2016, 06:46 AM
^^^^lol sure does....blue color tracks in snow?????

Logan
11-02-2016, 08:25 AM
As I figured. Thanks man I won't waste my time calling!

25-06 Tikka
11-02-2016, 08:30 AM
Never hurts to call. If one is close it might step out just to have a look. But in general it's a touch late.

boxhitch
11-02-2016, 09:20 AM
Calling can be taken just as a social vocalization too , considering cows never really call for bulls
and a young dumb spike/fork is just the type to come out and see wtf ..........anytime.

srupp
11-02-2016, 11:49 AM
^^^^lol sure does....blue color tracks in snow?????

Tracks in snow show up blue ..white snow..Shadow. .depression of tracks looks blue not black etc..different depths of snow. .differs the color..you are glassing from distance..hundreds of yards..250...300 yards..

Yes not all vocalization is calling.it may be alarms sounds..

However over the years cows do call when in rut..in heat..and in order to be sucessful. .doesn't help to be calling other cows..of course they call for males..often it is amazingly LOUD..

Spot and stalk...followed by still hunting into wind inside treeline of close by bedding areas..higher percent versus sitting and calling.

Good luck
Steven

HarryToolips
11-02-2016, 12:01 PM
^^^^gotcha thanks.....

Vader
11-02-2016, 07:35 PM
October 30th I saw a bull at 700 yards in the willows. Watched for a while and then thought what the hell and called.. No response but he did move into the open.. I called again and he started following the far cut treeline heading away at an angle. Called again and he turned and started to follow a trail that lead down to the road I was on. He continued on his way working towards me on the road and when I lost sight of him where the road bends to cross a small creek I called again and he answered twice. It got too dark to see and I pulled out without laying eyes on him. To me that bull was coming to the call and did respond although not as heavy as full rut. He was definitely killable if he only was legal.
I wouldnt run around calling but laying eyes on one and with little options it wouldn't stop me from trying something.

Caribou_lou
11-02-2016, 07:41 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to call. From my experiences of hunting in Kamloops. There are tons of moose and they really don't get shot at much. Which would make them more susceptible to coming to the call or just being more interested. The areas I have hunted could handle a few more LEH tags.

whitetailsheds
11-02-2016, 07:51 PM
Call, call, call...........may get the odd bull, but you will also be ringing the dinner bell for wolves!!! Give 'er!!! If ya can't get a moose coming, you may be helping them out!!!

Logan
11-02-2016, 08:56 PM
I've seen a ton of moose around Kamloops more than I ever expected to see coming from living up in PG. I hardly ever see bulls tho and I wasn't sure what the situation for calling and rutting this far south would be like. I'm going to go out where I've seen a few cows and do some work this weekend when I get back to town, fingers crossed i'll pick up an immature this year!

Looking_4_Jerky
11-02-2016, 09:24 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to call. From my experiences of hunting in Kamloops. There are tons of moose and they really don't get shot at much. Which would make them more susceptible to coming to the call or just being more interested. The areas I have hunted could handle a few more LEH tags.

Caribou, you must have stumbled onto the last of the Kamloops moose strongholds!! I think you're about the only one I've ever heard say we should be killing more moose around Kamloops! Already a sh!tshow around here with the amount of cuts, the road densities, the ATV traffic, the hunting pressure, the FN harvest, the predators (in most MUs), and I can tell you that the moose populations are generally depressed from what they were even a decade ago. Some areas worse than others, but pretty much across the board.

hunterdon
11-03-2016, 07:20 AM
Also, keep in mind that calling moose is not always about the rut. Like all members of the deer family, moose do vocalize at all times of the year. Just not always calling for a mate, and just not always to get them to come to you. You can call them anytime of the year to HOLD them.

I have often successfully called moose at all times of the year to hold them. Actually the majority of the times with success. The key is which call to use. In my opinion, outside of the rut, the best call to use is a calf call. Both cows AND bulls will hold for a calf call.

Here is what I would suggest. Don't stop somewhere and start calling expecting a moose to come to you. Remember you are using this call to hold moose. Rather, after you find some good fresh tracks, follow these tracks slowly and quietly. When you feel you may be getting close, just do 1o 2 calf calls and keep following those tracks, always carefully scanning for standing\stationary moose. Repeat calling every now and then always closing the distance constantly scanning.You will be surprised how this calms moose making them think there is a lost calf.

I have on one occasion called this way, increasing my calling frequency, as I got very close to a huge cow moose. In the middle of the day right in an open field only 5 meters away, and she never moved a muscle. That was close enough for me.��
Bulls will react similarly, just maybe not so close as they don't have that strong motherly instinct towards a lost calf. But they will also hold.

Just so you know. A calf call is quite similar to a single cow call. Just shorter in duration, (smaller lungs,) and higher pitched.
So give it a whirl and best wishes.

boxhitch
11-03-2016, 07:47 AM
......However over the years cows do call when in rut..in heat..and in order to be sucessful. .doesn't help to be calling other cows..of course they call for males......A common myth, though publicly accepted.

boxhitch
11-03-2016, 07:51 AM
hunterdon, good technique there, thanks

Caribou_lou
11-03-2016, 06:22 PM
I was walking up a side road archery hunting last year and spotted three 2 points and one young cow with no calf. I'm thinking they were all 1 1/2 year olds. The cow was maybe 2 1/2. She was a bit bigger. My buddy and I set up and I let out a couple cow calls. The cow came walking in to my call with 3 bulls in tow. So it doesn't hurt to try and call cows. Many times they won't come in but if they do chances are they could have company!

We didn't get any of those bulls that day. The cow winded my buddy as it swirled. But I did go back in open season and called one of the 2 points out. October 25th.

srupp
11-03-2016, 06:33 PM
A common myth, though publicly accepted.

Lol so now you have me confused..

...cow moose go into rut..
..cow moose pee ..bulls literally taste the air for cow moose that are in heat..
....cow moose call..several different tones...lengths of calls...bulls come running in..whatever the cows were bellowing..the bull s understood it and came in..

Observed this for many many decades..ido not understand how this Iis a myth. ..could you please explain..
Cheers
Steven

moosecaller
11-03-2016, 06:55 PM
Lol so now you have me confused..

...cow moose go into rut..
..cow moose pee ..bulls literally taste the air for cow moose that are in heat..
....cow moose call..several different tones...lengths of calls...bulls come running in..whatever the cows were bellowing..the bull s understood it and came in..

Observed this for many many decades..ido not understand how this Iis a myth. ..could you please explain..
Cheers
Steven
I agree with you Steven,
Cow moose call! This is NOT a myth.

kilometers
11-03-2016, 07:49 PM
Yah I agree. Called a bull away from a cow. You should of herd her call him back it was loud and ongoing.

ditch donkey
11-03-2016, 08:15 PM
iv walked into an area after catching a glimpse of a small bull, and after letting out one cow call had mulitple cows immediatly start singing love songs. somtimes all they need is a bit of conversation starter.

boxhitch
11-04-2016, 12:15 AM
Of course they bellow and make noise, but it has been shown they are not in fact calling bulls. The purpose is other reasons, check it out..
Studies published in Alaska and in Michigan and iirc Quebec too.
They don't have to call, the bulls get the message, usually on the nose. The bulls do home in on the vocalizations, because they hear a cow talking in the area.
Hey I'm no scientist, I just read chit to help understand what I witness.

and have spent a decade or so in the swamps, but I guess not quite many many decades.

srupp
11-04-2016, 01:20 AM
Hmmm thanks..i will endeavour to upgrade my education..lol..i truly will look up the articles..
Strange however being in on a extreme remote lake during rut..having a cow screaming at the top of her lungs during rut....pis sing inthe lake 10 yards away listening to a bull respond from km up the hill..down the valley.. in response to her bellowing yes it was ccommunication. ..that he understood and reacted to..
Just know that for over 30 years. .it has brought bull moose right in..sometimes to within 25 feet..sometimes slow sometimes charging in..no I don't know exactly what I was saying..or what the bull understood..but the idea was to get him to come in to shoot...to call in..and so far it's working fine..
Have never heard anyone suggest it's not calling in..but I'm willing to read..
Cheers
Steven

moosecaller
11-04-2016, 07:29 AM
Social structure and reproduction Moose are mostly diurnal (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diurnality). They are generally solitary with the strongest bonds between mother and calf. Although moose rarely gather in groups, there may be several in close proximity during the mating season.
Mating occurs in September and October. The males are polygamous (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygamous) and will seek several females to breed with. During this time both sexes will call to each other. Males produce heavy grunting sounds that can be heard from up to 500 meters away, while females produce wail-like sounds.[89] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moose#cite_note-89) Males will fight for access to females. They either assess which is larger, with the smaller bull retreating, or they may engage in battles, usually only involving the antlers.

Female moose have an eight-month gestation period, usually bearing one calf, or twins if food is plentiful,[90] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moose#cite_note-90) in May or June.[91] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moose#cite_note-91) Newborn moose have fur with a reddish hue in contrast to the brown appearance of an adult. The young will stay with the mother until just before the next young are born. The life span of an average moose is about 15–25 years.

I have heard many cows calling for the bulls during the rut, they will find his rut and stand over it if he is not here and call (LOUDLY) and wait for him to come in. This is only one small clip from Wikipedia that states this, there are many. could you provide a link to your study that you have read i could not find one that says cows do not call.

Ltbullken
11-04-2016, 10:11 AM
Tracks in snow show up blue ..white snow..Shadow. .depression of tracks looks blue not black etc..different depths of snow. .differs the color..you are glassing from distance..hundreds of yards..250...300 yards..

Yes not all vocalization is calling.it may be alarms sounds..

However over the years cows do call when in rut..in heat..and in order to be sucessful. .doesn't help to be calling other cows..of course they call for males..often it is amazingly LOUD..

Spot and stalk...followed by still hunting into wind inside treeline of close by bedding areas..higher percent versus sitting and calling.

Good luck
Steven

And cows can get pissed off or competitive when hearing another cow. I had a cow moose circle me from a distance moving quickly, calling back at me - sounded angry - then she ran off, probably after winding me. One of the strangest thing I've encountered in the woods.

ditch donkey
11-04-2016, 10:17 AM
i guess regardless of if it is or isnt, it brings them in and thats all that matters.

Backwoods
11-04-2016, 10:24 AM
I just shot my bull on Sunday at 3pm and I called him in, cow and calf came in also to the calling!! Never know until you try!

LYKTOHUNT
11-04-2016, 12:00 PM
As I figured. Thanks man I won't waste my time calling!
I have called small bulls in Nov, maybe don't waste all day trying but I don't think it could hurt, mine were all in the timber

boxhitch
11-04-2016, 12:30 PM
Google 'moose protest moans' for starters.

Cows will also moan when they loose a calf. Witnessed this when we spotted a cow/calf pair one day then heard wolves two nights in a row, then again saw the/
(?another) lone cow standing at the waters edge moaning.....in August.
Have also witnessed quieter moaning in a herd of cows/calfs/youngbulls, again outside the rut.

Always interesting to know the 'why'

boxhitch
11-04-2016, 12:31 PM
I just shot my bull on Sunday at 3pm and I called him in, cow and calf came in also to the calling!! Never know until you try!Attago ! proving never say never when talking about wildlife

Brambles
11-04-2016, 01:40 PM
I just shot my bull on Sunday at 3pm and I called him in, cow and calf came in also to the calling!! Never know until you try!

Care to sharr how it all went down?

Brambles
11-05-2016, 09:23 AM
Well this shits getting old.....i am trying to subscribe to the cow calling cant hurt team.....
and over the last few weeks Ive had multiple bulls run from me as soon as ive called....

Last one was 15 minutes ago...walking along an old ass road....through an old ass block...only patches of snow here and there....

Hear some birds fluttering in the regen 40-50 yds away....but doesnt sound exactly like birds although birds are chirping.....let out a soft cow call....fluttering stops....couple more cow calls and kerpow...they blow out at mach1...

Im gonna forget cow calling for a while and try raking with a scapula....

kilometers
11-05-2016, 09:51 AM
Well this shits getting old.....i am trying to subscribe to the cow calling cant hurt team.....
and over the last few weeks Ive had multiple bulls run from me as soon as ive called....

Last one was 15 minutes ago...walking along an old ass road....through an old ass block...only patches of snow here and there....

Hear some birds fluttering in the regen 40-50 yds away....but doesnt sound exactly like birds although birds are chirping.....let out a soft cow call....fluttering stops....couple more cow calls and kerpow...they blow out at mach1...

Im gonna forget cow calling for a while and try raking with a scapula....

You were to close. Cow calls should only be used to bring a bull in. You usually switch to bull grunts wen contact is made. Might be different in November. But my guess is he was already spooked before you called

Brambles
11-05-2016, 10:02 AM
It wasnt a loud bawl just a quiet social Rrrruuuh facing the other direction... sounded like they were eating.

sausage lover
11-08-2016, 09:55 AM
Great thread guys! The spots we have found the freshest sighn is where I let the calls out but they won't come out of the timber! Next time out probably just still hunt and not bother with calling.Just keep watching the food sources I guess:?

Backwoods
11-08-2016, 11:02 AM
Care to sharr how it all went down?
Absolutely, I'm going to post pics and storey hopefully tonight!!! Also a friend of mine just called a immature bull right into 30 yards last weekend in Kelowna! I was telling him how successful I was with moose coming in and sure as shit he went out and tried in an area we seen a different larger bull deer hunting early OCTOBER and mid day a young bull came right into his calls!!