PDA

View Full Version : Saw Mr. Big Today! But....

Buckmeister
11-01-2016, 09:24 PM
Y'all know that song by Alanis Moreupset called "Ironic"??? Well, that applies to me and my friend today. Early in October I shot a small meat buck Muley, so I am tagged out on Muley in region 8. My friend also tags a small mule buck in region 3 about the same time. This same friend has also drawn an "any bull moose" LEH in region 8 for November, but he doesn't know of too many places to hunt for moose. So he and I go out today in his region 8 MU to find a bull, as I am much more familiar with places to find moose.

So my friend says today that he considered getting a second tag for muley for when he is hunting for moose, but has decided against it cause it would only be good for 10 days, and he figured his chances at seeing a 4 point were slim. Anyways, at around 1:00 pm this afternoon we are walking into an area I know well and I glass around and I find this guy bedded down.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/09250002.JPG

Of course, neither of us can shoot him, so we just watch him watching us for about 15 minutes or so. He was about 250 yards away.

We carry on with our moose hunt. Not seeing any sign of moose we move on to other areas. A few hours later we are driving into a lonely area when my friend spots another deer. One quick look and my jaw hits the floor. This second buck makes the first buck look like a fawn. He is 55 yards away, dead broadside, and about the chunkiest deer I have ever seen. His rack is easily 190 class. Again, all we can do is stare at each other. We watch him for about 5 minutes. We noticed a doe bedded behind a small tree not 25 yards from us. Then it finally dawned on me to take a picture. So literally two seconds after I ask my friend to take a picture this buck books it out of there. Then the lyrics of Alanis's song come to mind...."it figures".

At least my son still has a mule tag. Maybe we can meet again?

whitespringer
11-01-2016, 10:36 PM
That sucks man. Every guy who doesn't buy the tag's worst nightmare :cry:

tooley
11-01-2016, 10:57 PM
figures eh!!! you out where I got my moose last year?

Buckmeister
11-01-2016, 11:14 PM
figures eh!!! you out where I got my moose last year?

Maybe I was, maybe I wasn't....;)

.308SLAYER
11-02-2016, 06:00 AM
Lol secret meadows

HarryToolips
11-02-2016, 06:53 AM
Lol still not as bad as my one buddy, who was with me 2 seasons ago hunting the eastern part of region 8 in September...I told him to buy an elk tag, he was too cheap and didn't, we split up one evening, he saw a 6 pt bull, I didn't..

smallfry14
11-02-2016, 07:00 AM
Well shit..I didn't bother buying a WT tag this year because I'm in the moose/muley woods all season where I rarely see WT....think I might go buy that tag now:shock:

Piperdown
11-02-2016, 07:18 AM
Tags are cheap, buy them

Blainer
11-02-2016, 07:21 AM
If you have an opportunity at 190" buck, Booner, then get back there and find him. Possibly a trophy of a lifetime.

Salty
11-02-2016, 08:13 AM
Right on Buckmeister looks like you're on to some nice areas there ;)

Reminds me of the painfully obvious old saying.. the best way to shoot big bucks is to not shoot small bucks. I tried living by that one for several years the freezer suffered big time as did my mental health. Shot a 2 point last year for therapy :/

Buckmeister
11-02-2016, 12:27 PM
Right on Buckmeister looks like you're on to some nice areas there ;)

Reminds me of the painfully obvious old saying.. the best way to shoot big bucks is to not shoot small bucks. I tried living by that one for several years the freezer suffered big time as did my mental health. Shot a 2 point last year for therapy :/

That has been my mantra as well. But my wife has other ideas and when I come home empty handed after seeing easy kill legal game, things get a little tense in the house. Some years are tag soup only.

So as much as I wish I could have taken the big guy that I dream of every year, I am VERY thankful that I at least have the knowledge, opportunity, and great fortune to find such a beast. Even IF I have to let him walk. :cool:

Seeker
11-02-2016, 12:32 PM
Tough breaks. Get em next year!

whognu
11-02-2016, 01:22 PM
So as much as I wish I could have taken the big guy that I dream of every year, I am VERY thankful that I at least have the knowledge, opportunity, and great fortune to find such a beast. Even IF I have to let him walk. :cool:

100% agree; pretty cool to at least be in the right neighborhood

I on the other hand, usually do have the tag in my pocket yet due to excessive daydreaming while still hunting (usually around the noon hour), seem to see more than my share of flags and arses............

likely caused by the sugar crash which I can attribute to eating too much Halloween candy at 8 a.m.

those mini chocky bars are killer

whognu