PDA

View Full Version : Cut Blocks or in the Timber - where do you hunt this time of year?

Harvest the Land
11-01-2016, 02:44 PM
Just wondering where you guys focus your hunting this time of year - in the cut blocks (along the edges etc.) or in the timber?

All the deer seemed to have migrated out of my hunting spot in region 3. A month ago I was getting tons of trail cam shots. But when I went to hunt that area 2 weeks ago we didn't spot a single deer and after checking the trail cams all the photos were of rabbits, squirrels, wolves, bobcats, some bears and a cougar. I hunted on the edge of a cut block where I'd seen plenty of deer in September and last November, but didn't spot a single deer. There wasn't much fresh sign anywhere either. So the next day we focused our efforts inside the timber still hunting and nada.

This past weekend I went to my blacktail hunting spot in region 2 (lower mainland). We got to our spot inside some dark timber well before first light and rattled/called from time to time for a couple hours before we decided to still hunt through the timber and nada. Found some fresh poop that was shiny, soft and green inside, but it was few and far between, and the trail cams hadn't picked up any deer since the beginning of October. Did not see any fresh rubs either (maybe its still too early?)

So before we go out again this weekend back to our mule deer/whitetail hunting spot in region 3, I was just wondering if it would be smarter to focus on the cutblocks or inside the timber? Or is it just a crap shoot and they could be anywhere?

There aren't very many berries left on plants and much of the grass in the cutblocks has turned brown although there are a few patches of green grass here and there and I can see that something has been nibbling at it. Just trying to figure out what they're eating this time of year.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Wild one
11-01-2016, 03:12 PM
Never a fan of cut blocks look at them if I drive by in my travels that is all

honestly I have only shot 2 animals out of a cut block over 23 years hunting.

shadowhunter
11-02-2016, 01:40 AM
I don't mind cruising cutblocks, but I find they only produce well first and last light, or in horrible weather. try finding the part of the cutblock you cant see fro the road. during the day I walk sparse timber and clearings, but also do my share of thick stuff too often climbing high the still hunting my way down checking the winds.

RackStar
11-02-2016, 06:50 AM
Only see things in the am and pm in cutblocks unless you get lucky. I spend the day where they bed, or a old cutblock with 5 ft trees, they feel a bit more safe during the day in.

Looking_4_Jerky
11-02-2016, 02:47 PM
Neither cut blocks or timber is all built the same. Thick timber = useless, unless you're stand-hunting. Animals love it, but will bust you a mile away if you try still-hunting it. Sparse timber can be delightful to hunt. Open cuts can be good dusk or dawn, but rarely hold deer mid-day. More mature cutblocks (5-10') are tough to see into, but if you can get a vantage where you can see down into it, the animals' appreciation of these blocks is obvious. Typically, anything that has good visibility will be limited to animals being there first and last times of the day. Stuff that you can't see into well will hold animals throughout the day.

I do find that hunting pressure decreases the amount of time the animals will spend in open cuts, as does hot, sunny weather.

Glenny
11-02-2016, 04:04 PM
You just gotta hunt them where they are. If they are not in the cut blocks they are in the timber or the jack pines. Coild not believe how scarce the muleys were this October. Nothing in the cut blocks but jumped a few in the jack pines and timber. A few white butts bouncing away.

Fisher-Dude
11-02-2016, 04:20 PM
Q. Cut Blocks or in the Timber - where do you hunt this time of year?

A. On the road.

twoSevenO
11-02-2016, 04:20 PM
Neither cut blocks or timber is all built the same. Thick timber = useless, unless you're stand-hunting. Animals love it, but will bust you a mile away if you try still-hunting it. Sparse timber can be delightful to hunt. Open cuts can be good dusk or dawn, but rarely hold deer mid-day. More mature cutblocks (5-10') are tough to see into, but if you can get a vantage where you can see down into it, the animals' appreciation of these blocks is obvious. Typically, anything that has good visibility will be limited to animals being there first and last times of the day. Stuff that you can't see into well will hold animals throughout the day.

I do find that hunting pressure decreases the amount of time the animals will spend in open cuts, as does hot, sunny weather.

You just gotta hunt them where they are. If they are not in the cut blocks they are in the timber or the jack pines. Coild not believe how scarce the muleys were this October. Nothing in the cut blocks but jumped a few in the jack pines and timber. A few white butts bouncing away.

As very well put above, hunting them where they are is not always possible. I've seen them in the thick stuff that you can't get a proper shot off to save your life. That's why a good area is so hard to find.

Harvest the Land
11-02-2016, 08:31 PM
Thanks guys! Cutblocks are best at first and last light, sparse timber is always good, but often they seek cover in the real thick stuff. Try and find their feeding and bedding spots if possible. Got it

That's how I'll try to focus my limited hunting time on the weekend

Cheers!

GoatGuy
11-02-2016, 09:32 PM
Q. Cut Blocks or in the Timber - where do you hunt this time of year?

A. On the road.

That answer is for all times of the year....

Fisher-dude aka "King of the Road"

horshur
11-03-2016, 08:01 AM
carefull declaring they are not in the cuts...often they are all day. Hunt the more secure pockets of the cut, deer use them. Don't just pick a cutblock that "looks good" you need to know if and when they are using the area.

Walksalot
11-03-2016, 03:50 PM
Just wondering where you guys focus your hunting this time of year - in the cut blocks (along the edges etc.) or in the timber?

All the deer seemed to have migrated out of my hunting spot in region 3. A month ago I was getting tons of trail cam shots. But when I went to hunt that area 2 weeks ago we didn't spot a single deer and after checking the trail cams all the photos were of rabbits, squirrels, wolves, bobcats, some bears and a cougar. I hunted on the edge of a cut block where I'd seen plenty of deer in September and last November, but didn't spot a single deer. There wasn't much fresh sign anywhere either. So the next day we focused our efforts inside the timber still hunting and nada.

This past weekend I went to my blacktail hunting spot in region 2 (lower mainland). We got to our spot inside some dark timber well before first light and rattled/called from time to time for a couple hours before we decided to still hunt through the timber and nada. Found some fresh poop that was shiny, soft and green inside, but it was few and far between, and the trail cams hadn't picked up any deer since the beginning of October. Did not see any fresh rubs either (maybe its still too early?)

So before we go out again this weekend back to our mule deer/whitetail hunting spot in region 3, I was just wondering if it would be smarter to focus on the cutblocks or inside the timber? Or is it just a crap shoot and they could be anywhere?

There aren't very many berries left on plants and much of the grass in the cutblocks has turned brown although there are a few patches of green grass here and there and I can see that something has been nibbling at it. Just trying to figure out what they're eating this time of year.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Was there a heavy frost. That defoliates the food source and the deer migrate into thicker timber where the forage is protected with a heavier canopy. Might try lower elevation.

Harvest the Land
11-03-2016, 06:10 PM
Actually come to think of it there definitely had been frost when we were there 2 weeks ago and it was there a few days before we arrived too - and a lot of their food definitely had been defoliated. The trail cam said it got up to +13c there today, quite different from a couple weeks ago. Maybe the higher temps will help their food sources recover?

Thanks for the tip on that. Might have to try focusing more inside the timber and maybe try lower elevation.

Backwoods
11-04-2016, 11:58 AM
South facing slopes/ winter ranges, I just shot a bull moose I called out into a cut block