PDA

View Full Version : Still hunting with a crossbow?

Quince
11-01-2016, 09:20 AM
Looking for input on the reality of still hunting deer with xbow. I do not generally have patience for blind hunting and have had success still hunting deer with my rifle. How much success have you had?

dougan
11-01-2016, 09:26 AM
X bow is a pain to carry imho I use my compound now sold the Xbox for this reason compound is easier to reload also

J_T
11-01-2016, 09:34 AM
Pretty hard to be stealth when still hunting and you see something to load a bolt on the string.

Xenomorph
11-01-2016, 11:57 AM
Get yourself a Horton Storm RDX

Only 10-inch axle-to-axle when cocked
Includes Dedd sled for cocking
Shoots 370-feet per second

Has a safety feature and it's light and comfortable enough to squeeze through small openings.

tomahawk
11-01-2016, 12:02 PM
Compound has taken several while still hunting

Wild one
11-01-2016, 12:13 PM
Just be sneaky or lucky and it works fine

Good2bCanadian
11-01-2016, 12:17 PM
I got both my bucks still hunting.
1 with compound and this year with a rifle.
Both within 25 yards. Super exciting hunts.
I don't see why a crossbow would be any different.

rocksteady
11-01-2016, 12:48 PM
X bow is a pain to carry imho I use my compound now sold the Xbox for this reason compound is easier to reload also

My XBow has a sling on it... Very easy to carry..

Still hunting with an XBow is no more difficult than it is with a compound..

Ron.C
11-01-2016, 12:57 PM
I'd say it would be really dependant on the bush\ terrain, same as any other now hunting. I have shot a couple Blacktails while still hunting with a compound. Can't see why a crossbow would be any more difficult.

kilometers
11-01-2016, 08:55 PM
No different then a compound bow. Probly easier. Already cocked and loaded don't need good form. My dad and bro hunt with them. Go everywhere I do

avadad
11-01-2016, 09:28 PM
I got rid of mine because I found it to difficult to navigate a tight forest. Also slow to reload. I guess it depends on the type of area you're hunting.

fireguy
11-01-2016, 10:18 PM
One of my biggest bucks was taken while still hunting with a crossbow. Swapped it out to a compound because it was a pain to pack around.

Buckmeister
11-01-2016, 11:25 PM
i think it depends on the size and weight of xbow and the level of comfort you feel while walking with it. I have still hunted a bit with my Excalibur, but it can be a pain to walk through brushy stuff with it. Plus I don't really like how it sits on my shoulder while slinged.

J_T
11-02-2016, 04:41 AM
When still hunting with a bow, I dont know of anyone that has an arrow knocked and on the rest. Are guys that still hunt with a crossbow, hunting with the bow cocked and a bolt in the slide?

Wild one
11-02-2016, 04:58 AM
When still hunting with a bow, I dont know of anyone that has an arrow knocked and on the rest. Are guys that still hunt with a crossbow, hunting with the bow cocked and a bolt in the slide?

Unless I get into a spot that is really thick I have an arrow knocked well still hunting with my bow compound or recurve. I bow hunt with 6 different bow hunters and we all do this

thought most bow hunters did this maybe I have assumed wrong

J_T
11-02-2016, 06:17 AM
Thanks Wild One. Thats why I asked. Over the years Ive hunted with a lot of traditional, compound shooters and in the last few years xbow hunters. And none travel in the bush with an arrow, nocked, in their hand, or out of the quiver.

dmuth
11-02-2016, 07:57 AM
Still hunting with the Excalibur is a little harder than with a rifle as it is so wide but it works.http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k119/donmuth/20161030_140144_zps3qlezsbg.jpg

Xenomorph
11-02-2016, 08:15 AM
Thanks Wild One. Thats why I asked. Over the years Ive hunted with a lot of traditional, compound shooters and in the last few years xbow hunters. And none travel in the bush with an arrow, nocked, in their hand, or out of the quiver.

If I go into a small area I really know I'll keep the arrow cocked on compound. Both Hoyts weigh nothing and it's super easy to keep finger on arrow. But as you said, new area, hiking through ...never out of quiver unless for a good reason.

Wild one
11-02-2016, 09:21 AM

Just the way we have always been thought it was normal

but anytime it is a bad area for a potential slip or fall I keep my arrows in the quiver. Last thing I guy wants is to fall on a broad head. Always recommend any new bow hunter to use caution when doing this and take consideration of the terrain

J_T
11-02-2016, 09:23 AM
Thanks. And my apologies. I'm not passing judgement. In over 20 years of bowhunting, I've never hunted with someone that moves through the bush with an arrow out. I've never really thought about it. Just never experienced it. As I do think about it, I can think of three reasons why I don't have an arrow out.
1) a broadhead exposed can be bumped on something, brushed across a branch, and our focus is/should be on that broadhead if its exposed, rather than looking for an animal. If I'm looking for an animal, I'm not thinking about that broadhead.
2) that blade is too close, I could trip or stumble and I can just imagine, that arrow coming loose, falling onto the ground broadhead pointed up as my heart is coming down.....
3) I guess I always saw it as rifle hunting with one in the chamber.

I'm not sure what you guys think.

Xenomorph
11-02-2016, 09:26 AM
Thanks. And my apologies. I'm not passing judgement. In over 20 years of bowhunting, I've never hunted with someone that moves through the bush with an arrow out. I've never really thought about it. Just never experienced it. As I do think about it, I can think of three reasons why I don't have an arrow out.
1) a broadhead exposed can be bumped on something, brushed across a branch, and our focus is/should be on that broadhead if its exposed, rather than looking for an animal. If I'm looking for an animal, I'm not thinking about that broadhead.
2) that blade is too close, I could trip or stumble and I can just imagine, that arrow coming loose, falling onto the ground broadhead pointed up as my heart is coming down.....

You're dead on the safety concerns and reasons. Only real reason to have an arrow in is an active stalk to be honest.

The Hermit
11-02-2016, 11:07 AM

You're dead on the safety concerns and reasons. Only real reason to have an arrow in is an active stalk to be honest.

Exactly, safety first! However, I admit that sometimes when still hunting in a field I'll an arrow knocked but its not smart really. When approaching spots that I regularly see deer I'll knock an arrow for the last fifty yards, and of course on an active stalk.

Tied still hunting with a crossbow a few times and found if to be too bulky and heavy in the tight brush we have on Vancouver Island.

Wild one
11-02-2016, 11:39 AM
Not offended at all JT and nothing wrong with taking extra caution

I only do this well still hunting timber I know holds game and as stated if I don't trust my footing arrow goes in my quiver. It is the way I was taught and all those I have bow hunted with do the same so never put any thought into it

I can respect why you don't and I think all bow hunters have heard the stories of guys sticking or cutting them self with a broad head. There is good reason for using caution with an arrow

rocksteady
11-02-2016, 01:17 PM
If I am out of the truck walking with my bow, its loaded and arrow in the action.. Never had one drop off the rail even in heavy brush..

If I am out of the truck walking with my rifle, there is one in the pipe and safety on.

Quince
11-02-2016, 08:06 PM
Thanks for tips. Got an excal on way! Think ill be extra careful with broadhead, new aspect of having a bad trip