PDA

View Full Version : Got My First Deer :)

DeepJeep
10-31-2016, 04:58 PM
First off, special thanks to Elchjager for taking me hunting for the first time and showing me the process of field dressing deer.

I’ll try to keep this short…

When I first met Elchjager, I portrayed interest in hunting. This was early September. He mentioned that he was going hunting that day and I asked If I could join. He showed me the basics, gun handling, wind direction, how to get to your spot, etc… We saw 2 does with 2 fawn that afternoon. That was enough for me to get hooked! I loved sitting there in silence. The day was perfect too. Anyways, after that I amped up my efforts and went out every weekend. Sometimes twice a weekend. Researched a lot more. Read a fair bit. Started talking to more people.

Fast-forward to about 12 days ago….

I was headed to Kelowna and Elchjager was going to be there as well and we went hunting together. We go to out spot, park our trucks, get set and make a plan to go up this cut. He goes one way and I go up the other It wasn’t raining too bad at this point… we slowly make our way up to the cut. The wind is in our favour at this point. We are both about 100 yards apart.

For the next two hours, it as rain, snow, rain, snow……. (the weather app said otherwise)

I didn’t have the best gear at this point, specifically pants. I was wearing jeans and had put on PVC rain pants on by this time. But the lower portion of pants were wet. I now own waterproof pants. My toes were getting a bit wet but my hands were frozen. Didn’t have right gloves. I now own waterproof gloves as well. After sitting there for two hours and glassing… I am getting impatient but not disruptive. I get up from the stump and start looking to the right side of the cut. By this time, Elchjager had moved and had gone further into the edge of the timber (and maybe even further in?) hoping to find or scare something and may be funnel them my way… At this point, I was done glassing, Elchjager was not in the cut block anymore and I am about to sit down. Just as I am about to turn and sit down, from the corner of my eye, I see movement. I freeze at this point. A doe is looking right at me. She came up from my left side. My heart beat is up and through the roof!!! I can’t breathe fast enough and when ever I did manage to slowly take a breath, she would see it as it formed fog. I try to calm myself down but she is staring right at me. My heart is pounding. I can’t believe what I am seeing. My gun is on the stump I was sitting on and I am thinking if I move, she will most likely bolt. After about 15 seconds, she looks down and I move my arm 2 inches to reach my gun but she looks up again. I did that back and forth thing for a while. It took me more than a couple minutes to grab my gun and aim. At this point, she is looking dead at me. At this I am thinking... if it walks, it walks but I am not taking that shot. Lucky for me, she broadsides. With my heart POUNDING, I try to hold my breath in and pull the trigger on the Smith and Wessen 1984 30-06 (tel:1984 30-06). She drops about 8-10 yards away. Lung/lower heart shot. Didn’t feel the recoil or the sound. The rush was crazy! Cant describe the feeling in words. I see that she is down and not moving. I wait for Elchjager to come in. We both walk up to her. I feel sad but happy at the same time. We make sure it expired completely and begin the process. 80lbs on the hook.

It was exhilarating to say the least. Got it back from the butcher 2-3 days ago. Already had some sausages…

Once again, abig thank you to Elchjager for showing me the process and everybody else on HBC for their help with my questions. I have met a couple great guys on HBC who have shared their knowledge with me and I am very appreciative of it.

Some pics:

http://i68.tinypic.com/rtotxk.png

http://i67.tinypic.com/10879d2.png

http://i63.tinypic.com/34doa9y.png

.264winmag
10-31-2016, 05:33 PM
And so it begins, good for you and congrats. You shall eat like a king and have a pile of fun doing it!

.264winmag
10-31-2016, 05:35 PM
You should really try a face mask while hunting, she was surely staring at that bright white mug;)
Cheers

Whonnock Boy
10-31-2016, 05:36 PM
Nice work. Congrats, and thanks for sharing.

dougan
10-31-2016, 06:30 PM
Way to go!! Good eats there

caddisguy
10-31-2016, 06:36 PM
Awesome job and great story too. I could feel the excitement just reading it. Deer often do that head up / head down thing. I think it's to see from different angles and detect movement... or maybe trick predators into moving? Lol ok I really have no idea :)

And there is never recoil or sound when you are shooting at a critter!!

adriaticum
10-31-2016, 07:08 PM
Great make up

DeepJeep
10-31-2016, 07:20 PM
Thanks guys. :)

kennyj
10-31-2016, 07:23 PM
Conratulations on your first deer. A very exciting day.

kenny

HarryToolips
10-31-2016, 07:47 PM
Congrats!.........

hoochie
10-31-2016, 07:56 PM
first deer ever.. congrats!
how was field dressing it? did you get grossed out?

10-31-2016, 08:02 PM
Congrats again!!! How did the sausage turn out??

DeepJeep
10-31-2016, 08:33 PM
325, Sausage was great!

Downwind
10-31-2016, 08:50 PM
Congrats! You'll never forget this one no matter how long you hunt.

whitlers
10-31-2016, 09:23 PM
Awesome! Talk about adrenaline!

Hank Hunter
10-31-2016, 09:31 PM
Congrats, now you are really hooked

albravo2
10-31-2016, 09:37 PM
I love the first deer stories. So cool to hear about the day the addiction really set in.

Good for you. I hope you really enjoy the fruits of your labour.

Congratulations to your mentor too. Guys like him keep hunting alive and well in our communities.

DeepJeep
10-31-2016, 10:32 PM
first deer ever.. congrats!
how was field dressing it? did you get grossed out?
I felt bad when I saw it first. I felt responsible. And when I took that photo, I felt that warm neck and felt ever worse but once we split it open, I got right into it. After that it was all ok.

DeepJeep
10-31-2016, 10:33 PM
And thanks guys. I don't think I'll forget that experience

BStrachan
11-01-2016, 01:15 AM
Thanks for sharing and congrats on getting your first deer!

DeepJeep
11-01-2016, 09:08 AM
Thanks for sharing and congrats on getting your first deer!
thanks... .

jingles
11-01-2016, 09:22 AM
Nice looking doe, congratulations!