PDA

View Full Version : Rifle butt ammo holder review

dino
10-30-2016, 06:30 PM
Hi guys . I missed a buck recently because I could not load my ammo quick enough. I was fumbling around while staring at a 50y shot on a respectacle 4 point and watched him walk away because I was all tangled up with my pack board and could not find my belt ammo holder.
I forgot to mention that I missed my first shot and have to single feed my ammo because I self load that ammo to long for the rifle mag.
My question is to the guys that use the rifle butt ammo holder.
Do your bullets ever fall out will on long hikes and does the ammo holder stay in place on the rifle butt?

Pioneerman
10-30-2016, 06:38 PM
I have used the butt stock once for years, and when they get older they stretch and rounds can move a lot. The lest few years I have been using slings with bullet holders , one hold two rounds in two places and other holds 3 in two places. I like them better but that is me

ruger#1
10-30-2016, 06:44 PM
I use one that a flap goes over the bullets and is secured with Velcro. Haven't lost any bullets.

Spy
10-30-2016, 06:44 PM
Hi guys . I missed a buck recently because I could not load my ammo quick enough. I was fumbling around while staring at a 50y shot on a respectacle 4 point and watched him walk away because I was all tangled up with my pack board and could not find my belt ammo holder.
I forgot to mention that I missed my first shot and have to single feed my ammo because I self load that ammo to long for the rifle mag.
Do your bullets ever fall out will on long hikes and does the ammo holder stay in place on the rifle butt?
Why do you reload the rounds too long so they don't fit in your mag?

goatdancer
10-30-2016, 07:21 PM
I've used one on my 270 for a lot of years and never had any rounds fall out.

ruger#1
10-30-2016, 07:32 PM
https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.M12c5021235561cdd896002ea3d5f9da8o0&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0 (https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=uncle+mikes+ammo+holders&view=detailv2&&id=7D1E3DC7E0A1B1007958D0AB606C46787E082826&selectedIndex=5&ccid=EsUCEjVW&simid=608025932758974676&thid=OIP.M12c5021235561cdd896002ea3d5f9da8o0)

Weatherby Fan
10-30-2016, 07:34 PM
I've used butt stock shell holders for 30 years and would never hunt without one, they do wear out and the sleeves get slack if you leave ammo in there all the time, I take my shells out of it at the end of every hunting trip.

I put a new one on the rifle every 4-5 years, I like the Uncle Mike ones best, I split the threads on the seam and slip my sling stud through it and then keeps the shell holder from moving up and down the butt stock.

REMINGTON JIM
10-30-2016, 07:35 PM
dino SAYS - I forgot to mention that I missed my first shot and have to single feed my ammo because I self load that ammo to long for the rifle mag.

Why the Phuck would you do that for hunting ammo ? :roll: Thats just plain DUMB ! :icon_frow lol jmo RJ

dino
10-30-2016, 07:39 PM
The sweet spot on some rifles is when the bullet is close to the lands so loading to that sweet spot can create issues with the rifle not accepting any ammo in the mag. I prefer to have a very accurate and consistent rifle than a bullet that is less accurate. it only has one drawback.lol

Weatherby Fan
10-30-2016, 07:40 PM
dino SAYS - I forgot to mention that I missed my first shot and have to single feed my ammo because I self load that ammo to long for the rifle mag.

Why the Phuck would you do that for hunting ammo ? :roll: Thats just plain DUMB ! :icon_frow lol jmo RJ

Rj that's not very nice........and Dino's just giving the deer a sporting chance !

REMINGTON JIM
10-30-2016, 07:42 PM
The sweet spot on some rifles is when the bullet is close to the lands so loading to that sweet spot can create issues with the rifle not accepting any ammo in the mag. I prefer to have a very accurate and consistent rifle than a bullet that is less accurate. it only has one drawback.lol

Yea the DRAWBACK is a Very Big one ! the Big 4 Pt got away - YOU do NOT need MOA accuracy to KILL a deer ! :wink: Seat those HUNTing rounds a bit deeper ! Cheers RJ

Weatherby Fan
10-30-2016, 07:45 PM
Just curious what rifle and caliber are you shooting Dino ?

REMINGTON JIM
10-30-2016, 07:52 PM
http://www.hornady.com/store/Hornady-Cheek-Piece/ these work Good ! RJ

Pioneerman
10-30-2016, 07:52 PM
There is nothing wrong with making the rounds as accurate as possible for your rifle. There are lots of single shot rifles on the market, he just happened to make him own that way. But do not miss with the first shot :D

dino
10-30-2016, 07:59 PM
I just don't have the energy to explain to you about the reasoning. Im sure Google can explain everything to you.

Gateholio
10-30-2016, 08:00 PM
I've tired them on rifles and shotguns but always removed them. I find them one more thing to get tangled up. If you hunt in bush you will lose ammo from them, although that one with the flap looks like it will hold them in. It upsets the balance of the rifle. If you are still hunting with the rifle in your hands it adds just a bit of extra weight your arms need to carry instead of your shoulders/hips.

The have one advantage, and that is that when you pick up the rifle, you have ammo for it. For that purpose, I usually have a sling with shell loops. I pick up the rifle, load the rifle with the ammo from the loops and go hunting. Leaving ammo in your sling loops is a sure way to lose ammo or have it out of balance when you go to shoot offhand.

My system is the shells in the sling loops and an ammo wallet on my belt, that is easily accessible.

If I was hunting with a single shot rifle- or in your case a bolt action that you decided to make a single shot- the best solution might be a buttstock holder. But only with 3 or 4 rounds. Most holders typically take 6-10 rounds, I would only put a couple in there, for your situation, and have the rest on the belt.

Or just find another seating depth that works and can fit in your magazine. I've never been unable to find an accurate load that will fit in the magazine. Nothing wrong with single shot rifles, but scoped bolt action rifles make poor single shot hunting rifles.

REMINGTON JIM
10-30-2016, 08:02 PM
I just don't have the energy to explain to you about the reasoning. Im sure Google can explain everything to you.

Sorry ! Being as i have only shot 33 deer and being handloading for 50 + years i was Just Wondering WHY ? :roll: lol Thks RJ

300rum700
10-30-2016, 08:07 PM
They work really well but even they wont be as fast as a quick follow up from the magazine. Theres more than one seating depth/powder charge that will work for your rifle, dont get stuck on the idea that you have to be close to the lands to have good accuracy.

todbartell
10-30-2016, 08:11 PM
I hunt with a Ruger no1 300wm and often, not always, I will chamber a round when hiking. Usually with a bolt action I hunt with an empty chamber. With the single shot I have an extra round in each pocket. Never did like the buttstock shell holders

dino
10-30-2016, 08:14 PM
Sorry ! Being as i have only shot 33 deer and being handloading for 50 + years i was Just Wondering WHY ? :roll: lol Thks RJ

Your caught up in old technology and I've shot much more than 33.

dino
10-30-2016, 08:20 PM
I have tried setting deeper but the powDer would compress and I was marking all over the place. MOA is my style of hunting. I very seldom miss the first shot and seldom have a chance for a follow up so the draw back of slow follow ups are not a big deal.

Weatherby Fan
10-30-2016, 08:32 PM
That's exactly why I shoot a Weatherby cartridge......never need more than one shot for a kill :wink:

Gateholio
10-30-2016, 08:37 PM
Powder compression isn't a bad thing, but that's up to you. If a hunting rifle isn't accurate without using a load that won't fit in the magazine, I would rebarrel or sell the rifle, but again, that's up to you.

emerson
10-30-2016, 08:45 PM
I've been using a cheap butt stock ammo holder with my 375 CZ. I like it, holds things well, not in the way. The rounds fit tight enough not to fall out though.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-30-2016, 09:05 PM
I Lost 6 bullets on a sheep hunt. As mentioned, they do get tired with age... just like the rest of us

Spy
10-30-2016, 09:19 PM
You missed the first shot at 50yards? You got a video? You are lucky it was not a charging Grizz !

REMINGTON JIM
10-30-2016, 09:29 PM
Your caught up in old technology and I've shot much more than 33.

I Bet you Have there " ONE SHOT " :lol: RJ

RiverOtter
10-30-2016, 09:35 PM
I use the same Uncle Mikes that Ruger 1 posted. Very simple and secure and your rifle always has rounds attached to it. Burned a small hole in the bottom to fit over my sling stud and it stays nicely in place. Would never use a butt stock shell holder without a flap though.

dino
10-30-2016, 09:35 PM
First was much further. the deer did not know where I was after the shot and ran right towards me. I don't post pics or vids anymore.
I carry pepper spray for the grizz. just kidding.

RiverOtter
10-30-2016, 09:43 PM
Not to dog pile, but Spy makes a good point. Ever considered loading up 2 or 3 rounds that will fit the mag and leaving them in place while you single load over top? Almost did just that with my 338 RUM, but finally found a recipe that gave me the results I wanted within mag constraints.

dino
10-30-2016, 09:51 PM
Powder compression isn't a bad thing, but that's up to you. If a hunting rifle isn't accurate without using a load that won't fit in the magazine, I would rebarrel or sell the rifle, but again, that's up to you.

compression is a problem when the bullets get pushed back out or the powder isn't fully burning.

Spy
10-30-2016, 10:04 PM
First was much further. the deer did not know where I was after the shot and ran right towards me. I don't post pics or vids anymore.
I carry pepper spray for the grizz. just kidding.
Ok we know you got a video lol ;-) You gotta see the ridiculousness of having a super accurate, bolt action rifle, loaded with a ,single super accurate round, but can't hit a animal at 50 yards with the set up???

dino
10-30-2016, 10:06 PM
Not to dog pile, but Spy makes a good point. Ever considered loading up 2 or 3 rounds that will fit the mag and leaving them in place while you single load over top? Almost did just that with my 338 RUM, but finally found a recipe that gave me the results I wanted within mag constraints.

Funny that I have a 338 Lapua that is also a single shot because the detachable magazine is so noisy when it's touched by anything.
YOUR idea about loading a couple of shorter rounds is a good one . Thanks for that.

REMINGTON JIM
10-30-2016, 10:13 PM
Ok we know you got a video lol ;-) You gotta see the ridiculousness of having a super accurate, bolt action rifle, loaded with a ,single super accurate round, but can't hit a animal at 50 yards with the set up???

Oh Spy ! :-) thats being a little harsh on old " ONE SHOT DINO " :lol: RJ

Gateholio
10-30-2016, 10:21 PM
compression is a problem when the bullets get pushed back out or the powder isn't fully burning.

Thankfully, there are several different powders available. But again- up to you.

dino
10-30-2016, 10:24 PM

you need to re read my first post. I never missed the deer at fifty yards. THE first shot was further.
I could hunt with a tavor and miss all ten shots just as easy as I could with only one shot out of an accurate bolt action .that would also be ridiculous.

dino
10-30-2016, 10:35 PM
Oh Spy ! :-) thats being a little harsh on old " ONE SHOT DINO " :lol: RJ
Lol old one shot is a handle I can live with. by the way I always wondered why you finish every one of your posts with your initials ? seems kinda dumb??????
Now that I've sunk to your level let's lock this thread up by getting really stupid.

Razor84
10-30-2016, 10:36 PM
http://vid233.photobucket.com/albums/ee306/heydino/20111010_082936.mp4

Seems like you're sniper ammo still dont make up for piss poor shootin' -- Dino maybe you need to get back to hunting basics? Or don't come onto HBC whining about your bullets or gun / ammo pouches that let you down in the field. It's you BUD, it's you....:roll:

http://vid233.photobucket.com/albums/ee306/heydino/20111010_0829362.mp4

dino
10-30-2016, 10:40 PM
Thankfully, there are several different powders available. But again- up to you.

Ya cause we have a huge variety of easily accessible powders here.

Gateholio
10-30-2016, 10:48 PM
Ya cause we have a huge variety of easily accessible powders here.

Well, never had an issue finding suitable powder for anything from .223 to 50 BMG, but YMMV. Me? I don't see the point of using a bolt action hunting rifle as a single shot in BC, but again, YMMV.

In your case I might prefer a wrist cuff shell holder over a butt stock carrier, but that's just my opinion.

REMINGTON JIM
10-30-2016, 11:07 PM
[QUOTE=dino;1837116]Lol old one shot is a handle I can live with. by the way I always wondered why you finish every one of your posts with your initials ? seems kinda dumb??????

Wanna talk about dumb ! reREAD your first POST - your dumber then a fence post ! :sad: Oh and GFY ( Good For You ) too ! Good Night ;) RJ

dino
10-30-2016, 11:13 PM
http://vid233.photobucket.com/albums/ee306/heydino/20111010_082936.mp4

Seems like you're sniper ammo still dont make up for piss poor shootin' -- Dino maybe you need to get back to hunting basics? Or don't come onto HBC whining about your bullets or gun / ammo pouches that let you down in the field. It's you BUD, it's you....:roll:

http://vid233.photobucket.com/albums/ee306/heydino/20111010_0829362.mp4

Funny how you take a video out of context but don't show any of the many successful vids and pics I've posted. By the way, soon after that video I purchased a more powerful rifle and fixed the long distance issue I was having. Since the day in that video I've made three single shot kills over 500y one at 650. All videod.
My post here was my only miss since. I was hunting heavy timber. missing is a part of this sport and I strive to not make the same mistakes twice. My question about a butt ammo holder is honest and legit. Someone came up with a simple easy answer that i will really consider.THE hypocrisy on this site brutal. WHY not post something constructive.?

last light
10-30-2016, 11:22 PM
I used to use a rifle butt ammo holder but like others have said I'd lose ammo, found it awkward, catches on branches, and is unbalanced.

After a near mishap on a black bear I now ALWAYS have 1 in the pipe and three in the mag. If I need more I have a leather pouch on my belt that holds an additional 8 cartridges that are right there should I need them. I also keep another 10 in my pack for peace of mind like in a survival situation.

I agree, normally 1 shot seals the deal but after my close call of running out of ammo on my person I have adopted a better safe than sorry mind set.

Spy
10-30-2016, 11:23 PM
Funny how you take a video out of context but don't show any of the many successful vids and pics I've posted. By the way, soon after that video I purchased a more powerful rifle and fixed the long distance issue I was having. Since the day in that video I've made three single shot kills over 500y one at 650. All videod.
My post here was my only miss since. I was hunting heavy timber. missing is a part of this sport and I strive to not make the same mistakes twice. My question about a butt ammo holder is honest and legit. Someone came up with a simple easy answer that i will really consider.THE hypocrisy on this site brutal. WHY not post something constructive.?
We did and helped you out, now you will have extra ammo loaded in your mag, so you can reload quickly ;-)

dino
10-30-2016, 11:32 PM
[QUOTE=dino;1837116]Lol old one shot is a handle I can live with. by the way I always wondered why you finish every one of your posts with your initials ? seems kinda dumb??????

Wanna talk about dumb ! reREAD your first POST - your dumber then a fence post ! :sad: Oh and GFY too ! Good Night ;) RJ

The first post is really clear I thought. I asked a question about piece of equipment that could be a remedy for a recent experience. some gave really good advice and others just want to start shit. Most of those same people don't really even hunt anymore, or only do it out of a pickup. you can always tell those guys, they always have thousands of posts .

Spy
10-30-2016, 11:41 PM
[QUOTE=REMINGTON JIM;1837125]

The first post is really clear I thought. I asked a question about piece of equipment that could be a remedy for a recent experience. some gave really good advice and others just want to start shit. Most of those same people don't really even hunt anymore, or only do it out of a pickup. you can always tell those guys, they always have thousands of posts .
Ha ha that's quite the assumption ;-) can you back it up ? All your threads are great for educating beginners, they have taught many, what not to do when hunting. ;-) In this thread, they learned if you have a bolt action rifle that holds more then one round, than load more than one round and use the rifle to its full capacity! ;-)

Gateholio
10-30-2016, 11:47 PM

Wanna talk about dumb ! reREAD your first POST - your dumber then a fence post ! :sad: Oh and GFY too ! Good Night ;) RJ

Your rude comments have earned yourself a 3 day vacation. Please don't tel members to Eff themselves in the future, thanks.

dino
10-30-2016, 11:49 PM
We did and helped you out, now you will have extra ammo loaded in your mag, so you can reload quickly ;-)

You and your buddy were being derogatory. I don't under stand why because you and I have corrisponded with pm,s in the past .I still have them and wish the rules did not prevent me from posting them. Like I said earlier" the hypocrisy is brutal. you were asking me for advice not me asking you and when I gave it it was never derogatory.

dino
10-31-2016, 12:12 AM
[QUOTE=dino;1837139]
Ha ha that's quite the assumption ;-) can you back it up ? All your threads are great for educating beginners, they have taught many, what not to do when hunting. ;-) In this thread, they learned if you have a bolt action rifle that holds more then one round, than load more than one round and use the rifle to its full capacity! ;-)

That is great if I helped a beginner. thank you for the complement. Now there are going to be other beginners looking into both our past posts and will determine who they will ask for advice.they might look at my videos making 1000yard shots with the powDer and bullets I use vs the videos you make with you long range set up. they could also compare the pics of the many 4 point bucks Ive posted to all your bucks you e posted and yes they could even watch what happens when you shoot at a deer with an underpowered rifle at 500y. The thing about young members is that no matter how much people like you belittle me they know I walk the talk because Im not afraid to post the pics and videos that I do.
I get new hunters every year that pepper me with questions and advice in pm,s. so yes you are right.

ruger#1
10-31-2016, 12:50 AM
[QUOTE=REMINGTON JIM;1837125]

The first post is really clear I thought. I asked a question about piece of equipment that could be a remedy for a recent experience. some gave really good advice and others just want to start shit. Most of those same people don't really even hunt anymore, or only do it out of a pickup. you can always tell those guys, they always have thousands of posts . Thanks for the insult. I have shot more deer then you can count. Next time you start a thread. I will not reply with info.

Spy
10-31-2016, 01:08 AM
[QUOTE=Spy;1837143]

That is great if I helped a beginner. thank you for the complement. Now there are going to be other beginners looking into both our past posts and will determine who they will ask for advice.they might look at my videos making 1000yard shots with the powDer and bullets I use vs the videos you make with you long range set up. they could also compare the pics of the many 4 point bucks Ive posted to all your bucks you e posted and yes they could even watch what happens when you shoot at a deer with an underpowered rifle at 500y. The thing about young members is that no matter how much people like you belittle me they know I walk the talk because Im not afraid to post the pics and videos that I do.
I get new hunters every year that pepper me with questions and advice in pm,s. so yes you are right.

You see its not all bad dino you are a teacher ;-) Ever thought people not posting pics of their kills is because they don't see it as a big deal and don't like bragging about their kills, like you do! When my kids start killing animals I will post up the stories and pics. As for long range shooting, I will take you on at the range anyday, long range, off hand, axe throwing, bow shooting,clay shooting, pistol ! Shooting animals at ridiculous ranges, is not really hunting to me, even though I've done it, nowadays I like shooting them withing 30 yards with an arrow & I seem to do ok every year ;-) We were just poking fun at you, you should lighten up.. It does suck though that you missed that buck at 50 yards, I suppose its better then shooting one in the ass at 500 yards & not recovering it :-( Anyway look forward to you threads always something to learn..

dino
10-31-2016, 07:44 AM
[QUOTE=dino;1837139] Thanks for the insult. I have shot more deer then you can count. Next time you start a thread. I will not reply with info.

Sorry bud but I don't see how you were insulted. IF you put yourself in the the catagory where I stated that most guys that make thousands of posts are not really even hunting anymore, well then that is your own insecurity at work if that's the case. I never meant to insult you.

rocksteady
10-31-2016, 07:54 AM
Back on topic, I use one of those leather belt pouches. The ones that fold up and secured with metal button, Flip it down with my thumb and have access to at least 10 shells right quick (depending on caliber).

russm86
10-31-2016, 08:25 AM
Why not one of the elastic or leather belt types? For rifles without magazines etc, or even just top loading rifles, I prefer ones that don't fold up or have snaps or velcro, just open loops. You can get pretty quick with them with a little practice...

ruger#1
10-31-2016, 09:33 AM
[QUOTE=ruger#1;1837155]

Sorry bud but I don't see how you were insulted. IF you put yourself in the the catagory where I stated that most guys that make thousands of posts are not really even hunting anymore, well then that is your own insecurity at work if that's the case. I never meant to insult you. Sorry Dino. I was in a pissy mood last night. Family problems.

ruger#1
10-31-2016, 09:37 AM
I have this on my belt. It twists and you loose ammo. A way to fix it is to sew the sides up.

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/CanadianTire/0750784_1?defaultImage=image_na_EN&wid=160&hei=160&op_sharpen=1

barry1974w
10-31-2016, 10:01 AM
I skipped a bunch of pages so it may have already been mentioned. But they make a holder that straps to your wrist also, they hold two or three rounds I think, I've seen them on TV, mostly being used by the single shot guys.

ruger#1
10-31-2016, 10:06 AM
https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.Maa72777704094dca1fb58f8eb521b8e5o0&w=290&h=217&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0 (https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=wrist+ammo+carrier&view=detailv2&&id=7F5496EE35FBEE39F4950C79C21A24D0711E7000&selectedIndex=0&ccid=qnJ3dwQJ&simid=608052046157513249&thid=OIP.Maa72777704094dca1fb58f8eb521b8e5o0)https ://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.M04c315493fec462a229b44450df251f6o0&w=300&h=200&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0 (https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=wrist+ammo+carrier&view=detailv2&&id=159CE9787AB0F480949FC7F24D03985B5A1813E0&selectedIndex=6&ccid=BMMVST%2fs&simid=608053162850979240&thid=OIP.M04c315493fec462a229b44450df251f6o0)https ://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.Md909e64e432f3906e3cff191f5ec2393o0&w=300&h=233&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0 (https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=wrist+ammo+carrier&view=detailv2&&id=199F64CE5B18DAEECC0F338D09476E7087E47D9D&selectedIndex=56&ccid=2QnmTkMv&simid=608034681615025056&thid=OIP.Md909e64e432f3906e3cff191f5ec2393o0)
When I use my Ruger #1. I have it loaded and one shell in my hand.

SSG-man
10-31-2016, 10:13 AM
I use the flip open shell holder on belt and the butt stock one too.
I'm a one shot wonder too, neck sized and stretched to the max! :) Sir SSG
LOL

Bernie O
10-31-2016, 12:55 PM
I shoot a single shot exclusively. My loving wife sowed some ammo holders on the front of my shooting jacket that puts them almost right in my hand on the few occasions that I have needed them. It does make you look like your on an African safari but it works well.

Barracuda
10-31-2016, 01:25 PM
I Lost 6 bullets on a sheep hunt. As mentioned, they do get tired with age... just like the rest of us

yes they do get tired but one way to make them last is put rounds in every second loop and the moment they don't grip the shell as tight switch loops and once they are done replace with a new one . For me personally I prefer the open ones to the flap design

dino
10-31-2016, 04:07 PM
I hear ya about the flip shell holders and I have four of them I have never had a problem finding flipping and loading without taking my eye off the animal but this system failed on me because when I go on a hunt strictly for meat and don't expect to see any mature bucks I wear a pack board that clearly gets in the way when trying to reload quick. I usually just wear a pack that has very little restrictions ,it's only going to happen when wearing a pack board . That's why I'm interested in reviews and ideas about other ways to solve this problem easily.

Surrey Boy
10-31-2016, 05:42 PM
I keep my cartridges in my pants pockets when I'm out with a single shot.

dino
10-31-2016, 05:48 PM
I keep my cartridges in my pants pockets when I'm out with a single shot.

I wear gloves so not gonna work for me.

ruger#1
10-31-2016, 05:49 PM
I keep my cartridges in my pants pockets when I'm out with a single shot. Do you often get them mixed up with your pant antler? Must be 223. I wrap mine in tissue paper. So they do not rattle. And mine are magnums.

dino
10-31-2016, 05:50 PM
https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.Maa72777704094dca1fb58f8eb521b8e5o0&w=290&h=217&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0 (https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=wrist+ammo+carrier&view=detailv2&&id=7F5496EE35FBEE39F4950C79C21A24D0711E7000&selectedIndex=0&ccid=qnJ3dwQJ&simid=608052046157513249&thid=OIP.Maa72777704094dca1fb58f8eb521b8e5o0)https ://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.M04c315493fec462a229b44450df251f6o0&w=300&h=200&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0 (https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=wrist+ammo+carrier&view=detailv2&&id=159CE9787AB0F480949FC7F24D03985B5A1813E0&selectedIndex=6&ccid=BMMVST%2fs&simid=608053162850979240&thid=OIP.M04c315493fec462a229b44450df251f6o0)https ://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.Md909e64e432f3906e3cff191f5ec2393o0&w=300&h=233&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0 (https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=wrist+ammo+carrier&view=detailv2&&id=199F64CE5B18DAEECC0F338D09476E7087E47D9D&selectedIndex=56&ccid=2QnmTkMv&simid=608034681615025056&thid=OIP.Md909e64e432f3906e3cff191f5ec2393o0)
When I use my Ruger #1. I have it loaded and one shell in my hand.

This looks great. how is it with gloves on and how does it work while holding rifle with one hand?

ruger#1
10-31-2016, 05:51 PM
Good luck on hunting dino. You'll get him next time.

ruger#1
10-31-2016, 05:57 PM
This looks great. how is it with gloves on and how does it work while holding rifle with one hand? Sorry. I put that up for the other guy. I can not stand anything on my wrists. That includes handcuffs.

krazy
10-31-2016, 06:03 PM
The cheap nylon ones with the elastic loops that hold the ammo ... I think Remington makes them. The elastic loops stretch so I buy a new one every year ... no big deal, like I said they are cheap. Cut a small slit to slip over the back sling swivel to help hold it in place. I like em and so far no ammo lost.

Having said that, regardless if you continue to use a stock ammo holder or not, strongly recommend that you a) get a gun smith to open up your mag to hold your ammo and/or b) shorten your hunting loads as you don't need sub MOA to kill deer at 50 yards ... or even 500 yards. Just my .02 :)

Gateholio
10-31-2016, 06:06 PM
I hear ya about the flip shell holders and I have four of them I have never had a problem finding flipping and loading without taking my eye off the animal but this system failed on me because when I go on a hunt strictly for meat and don't expect to see any mature bucks I wear a pack board that clearly gets in the way when trying to reload quick. I usually just wear a pack that has very little restrictions ,it's only going to happen when wearing a pack board . That's why I'm interested in reviews and ideas about other ways to solve this problem easily.

Thats easy then. Attach an ammo carrier to the pack board strap.

Iron Glove
10-31-2016, 07:33 PM
I have a full magazine in my rifle, another full one in my pocket and a full folder like Ruger has in my pack.
They still call me "3 shot John." :-(
Do have buttstock holders on a 30-30 bolt action and a Marlin 44 Mag but really don't trust them when doing any really thick bush hunting.

REMINGTON JIM
11-03-2016, 09:13 PM

LMAO ! Very Funny and TRUE Spy ! :biggrin: RJ

Salty
11-06-2016, 12:03 PM

Is the rifle a Tikka by chance? Notorious for too short of a magazine length to match the COAL the chamber prefers. How ever it works out that's a really bad situation for a hunting rifle. Missing a buck is one thing but if there's dangerous game on the hunt (planned or otherwise) its really not a good situation and there's no reason for it.

As far as the butt stock holders go I use one of the elastic types on about every rifle I own. They're cheap and they work. I have lost the odd round before but compared to how much I've used these contraptions its very low percentage that they pop out. Remington and Uncle Mikes are a couple brands I've used can usually get them for 10 bucks or less.

walks with deer
11-06-2016, 12:12 PM
Sounds like Dino needs a shotgun not a rifle. ..spray and pray...lol

dustybeat
11-06-2016, 12:27 PM
Sounds like Dino needs a shotgun not a rifle. ..spray and pray...lol
No offense to the OP but I got a kick out of this.

Rob
11-06-2016, 06:15 PM
Dino.. what gun and caliber are you shooting?

Busterpayton54
11-06-2016, 10:04 PM
I have a similar issue but different at the same time.

Im lucky enough that I've got a great load that also fits my magazine, however it's a Berger vld and they are a little too lightly constructed for close up, frontal or shoulder shots so I fill my magazine with factory loads and my cheek piece with my hand loads.

I know my poi for each, the variation is insignificant out to about 500m so I'm covered for any quick/close shots, and if need be for some longer range where greater precision is required, I'll single feed one from the pouch.

You can do the exact same thing. No ones making snap shots at 500m and beyond, nor does anyone need a 1/4moa load at 50m.

walks with deer
11-06-2016, 10:22 PM
So to be clear I have met Dino in peron and respect him I just enjoy a chance to say spray and pray after a easy shot blown.
Dino I carry butt stock ammo all the time it works great

deer nut
11-06-2016, 10:26 PM
Get one of the neoprene ones; they work great.

Downwindtracker2
11-06-2016, 11:10 PM
At the big gun shows there was a local? couple who made tactical gear. The holder is velcro and elastic. First rate product.

Spy
11-07-2016, 12:24 AM
I have a similar issue but different at the same time.

Im lucky enough that I've got a great load that also fits my magazine, however it's a Berger vld and they are a little too lightly constructed for close up, frontal or shoulder shots so I fill my magazine with factory loads and my cheek piece with my hand loads.

I know my poi for each, the variation is insignificant out to about 500m so I'm covered for any quick/close shots, and if need be for some longer range where greater precision is required, I'll single feed one from the pouch.

You can do the exact same thing. No ones making snap shots at 500m and beyond, nor does anyone need a 1/4moa load at 50m.
Someone gets it ;-) there is no reason you should not have a full mag loaded while hunting, I'm sure Dino has learnt something.

dino
11-08-2016, 07:54 AM
The reality is that I have shot many deer with my method. I normally can reload very quickly from my belt ammo holder. Having only one bullet in the chamber will make most more cautious about pulling the trigger. The hunt I was on required me to use a pack board that restricted my usual method of reloading so I had a missed opportunity. Most hunters don't hunt the same way as I do and the areas I hunt. Just being able to get one shot off is hard enough so extra ammo in a magazine is a comprimise that I accept. I have chosen to hunt some thick timber with a rifle geared for something different, the gear it self contributed to a miss not just the lack of Xtra ammo.
Factory ammo in the mag seems to be the best solution in this situation but I did not have any and I was not near any realoading equipment.
I think that before membrs post their opinion based on only on their style of hunting that they should understand that their are others that don't hunt the same way or the same country.
A road hunter doesn't need to carry a pack board , range finder, food ,water, survival gear,GPS excedera let alone reload their own ammo. hell most hunters have never backpacked into an area by their self and have had to retrieve an animal so taking advice about a solution to my question should have probably been geared more towards those members that hunt in a similar way.

horshur
11-08-2016, 10:23 AM
Dino is it fair to assume that when you hunt there is a cartridge in the chamber then ?

Wild one
11-08-2016, 10:43 AM
Very interesting thread :lol:

wideopenthrottle
11-08-2016, 11:14 AM
Do you often get them mixed up with your pant antler? Must be 223. I wrap mine in tissue paper. So they do not rattle. And mine are magnums.

I use one of those Styrofoam blocks that come with some types of shells, I cut it off to 8 or 10 shots ...I have one of those magic mini gloves over it to hold the shells from falling out when in my pocket...I also use a plastic shell holder from a nozler for an extra 5 in my belt pouch....my m70 holds 5 shots (6 if I also tube one) so I never have to reload in a hurry...I rarely leave the truck without about 18-20 shells on me

dino
11-08-2016, 06:38 PM
Dino is it fair to assume that when you hunt there is a cartridge in the chamber then ?

Short anawer is yes but not always. I was on crater literally with my pants down and no load in my rifle having a stare down with one of those bucks.
I also have a tendency to not chamber any rounds when on a steep route to a large bowl or open area or when hiking with someone else. I have a pack with a rifle holder and when it's in there it's unloaded. It's in there lots.
On another note how is your brother?

horshur
11-08-2016, 07:36 PM
nothing can make you change your mind regarding the loaded chamber like guiding(mentoring) another hunter knowing he/she has one in the tube...

dino
11-08-2016, 08:26 PM
nothing can make you change your mind regarding the loaded chamber like guiding(mentoring) another hunter knowing he/she has one in the tube...

So what are you saying. I kinda need a little more info.

SaintSix
11-10-2016, 10:24 AM
I use a blackHawk. its a slight cheek pad that's fully adjustable has a small zippered pouch and holds 5 rounds on the outside. my rounds don't fall out of the holders but another note, they are very stiff getting in/out. I have not had it for a long time so cant give you any detail about wear or if they'll loosen up to the point they might slide out. but there is always the zipper pouch. I use it for my 7mm rem mag to give you an idea for casing size. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Boner
11-10-2016, 11:08 AM
Too bad this thread got so bent out of shape.

I used to do the maxed coal in the pipe, and cartridge recommended coal in the magazine on one of my pea shooters. I've since played with a few other bullets and loads, and found a few that I'm happy with that fit in the magazine.

For me finding other loads that shoot as good at recommended coal was a better compromise than using a butt holder. I've gave them an honest try, but I prefer to use the magazine with a few other close by in my pockets.

358mag
11-10-2016, 11:15 AM
Losing 1 or 2 on a sheep hunt is a sign of a great hunt but losing 6 that's must be a record book hunt ...........

dino
11-13-2016, 10:34 PM
[QUOTE=dino;1837199] Sorry Dino. I was in a pissy mood last night. Family problems.

no problem, I do appreciate your contributions to me here and also on the site in general. I know that you actually have had great success in your hunting career and can pull from your experiences to give good advice.

dino
11-13-2016, 10:51 PM
Someone gets it ;-) there is no reason you should not have a full mag loaded while hunting, I'm sure Dino has learnt something.

ive learnt that you have virtually no experience to draw from. Your comments carry no weight and never have. Your many pm,s asking me for advice prove it. You need to get off that island and actually hunt instead of always sitting behind a computer posting like a troll.