PDA

View Full Version : Moose crunch time 4-29

sfp
10-30-2016, 12:22 PM
Thanks in advance to anyone giving advice
My girlfriend her uncle and I have a group any 2 bull moose draw in my home zone 4-29. Ends Nov.15.
Many,many days spent and still no moose.
16 Grizzly's seen up close in 4 months. 1 monster grizzly on camera . Fresh wolf sign everyday. Great place for a Grizzly draw. Hint, Hint. Lots of pressure on game this year.
Have only seen one cow with 2 calves. She was close to the alpine in the middle of a steep cut with 3' new growth. 500 yards up a 30 degree slope. Feeling pretty safe I'm thinking.
Everything on cameras but moose. Lots of fresh sign in another area but access is brutal. Will try there again out of desperation.
Saw a lone fresh moose track yesterday at the snow line, will follow up on that with more light. Have packed the snow shoes.
Is the moose rut likely finished ?
Any late season tips ?
Thanks again.

rocksteady
10-30-2016, 12:54 PM
IMO if the rut ain't done it's really close to being done. Bulls will be hiding in black timber trying to grub up and heal the wounds for winter

.264winmag
10-30-2016, 01:30 PM
Lotsa fresh moose rubs and brown piss up in the snow 4-32 still...

sfp
10-30-2016, 09:32 PM
Thanks guys.
Went back to where the tracks were in the snow Friday. Fresh tracks again but lower down. Spooked a moose off the road into the brutal thick, noisy timber. Never even saw it.
Left the girlfriend on the upper road and I walked back to the lower and tried to coax him up and out of cover. Heard it never saw it. Followed tracks ,stepped in fresh shit. Just plain ugly timber. Crazy quiet for a big creature. Tried till last light.
Calm ,clear day. So close. Moose was in an area no bigger than 2 football fields but safe as can be.
Is a moose more likely to go up or down when feeling pressure ?
Back tomorrow with snow in the forecast.
Thanks All.

palmer
10-30-2016, 09:59 PM
Took my Bull last week in 4-07. there was plenty of snow but the moose were fully in to the rut. I covered lots of ground until I found sign and then hunted that hard until we crossed paths.

Sharpish
10-30-2016, 10:01 PM
I hear you man, they can be in a thicket that's 100 yards across and move as quietly as a mouse while you crash and curse every two yards on your way through. You know they're in there and like you said, safe as can be.

Brambles
10-30-2016, 10:22 PM
The second rut should be firing up soon...

sfp
11-01-2016, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the comments and advice. If pressured will a moose go up or down usually ?

Three of us went back yesterday and covered that piece of timber. No moose seen. Snowing when we left.
Will be back.

.264winmag
11-01-2016, 07:25 AM
Generally I find they go for the high country when spooked, that is if there is anywhere to go up further! Moose don't mind it way upnthere even in the deep snow...