PDA

View Full Version : The curse continues

greenhornhunter
10-30-2016, 09:07 AM
Well, thus far I have gone on 5 hunts ranging from overnighters to a full on week long hunt and have struck out every time. The latest was a week long hunt which had me on edge the whole time wishing i had an antlerless draw for the princeton area. In a matter of 3 days we saw 50+ does and the only buck we saw was on our way out on private land just in behind the airport, he almost seemed to be laughing at us. From here we thought to try in OK falls area where we had been given a tip and had a chance at whities and mulies. Saw one but had no time to react and then 2 bucks sitting on the lawn of my friends house in town on our last day. Talk about a total piss off. But we did have fun, just wishing i had something to show for it.

RackStar
10-30-2016, 09:41 AM
I guess that's why they call it hunting and not killing.

northof49
10-30-2016, 09:46 AM
Keep at it.....its about the journey anyway, not pulling the trigger. Makes you better and makes the end result more rewarding. Cheers

Wild one
10-30-2016, 09:55 AM
Where and how your hunting are often the biggest factor

Scouting goes a long ways and just because you hear lots of hunters hunt in an area does not make it good

Due to pressure bucks are always harder to find than does and it's not uncommon to see a lot of does before finding a buck

it can be tough for a new hunter but the more time you spend in the bush the more you will learn. Best advice is slow down and pay attention to the habitat you see deer in most often and where you see the most sign. Each deer species acts different and have proffered habitat

monasheemountainman
10-30-2016, 10:10 AM
totally normal bud, especially if you are truck hunting (not saying you are)...you gotta get out there and earn it, make it happen! 5 times in 2 years is not enough. you gotta go every chance you can....hour after work, quick morning hunt before the wife wakes up screw sleeping in get your ass out there! If you live in the LML I would imagine it would be hard to go out for an hour here and there, so I would definitely suggest moving as far away from there as possible.

ccrcc
10-30-2016, 10:16 AM
i am fairly green too. got my first mature buck this week. a big old buck. i connected in a super high pressure area by:
1. going alone, and on foot
2. slowing down
3. observing and listening to everything
4. ...repeating 2 and 3
5. having patience and glassing, glassing, glassing.

Hunt, don't just hike around hoping for a suicidal animal.
You'll get one.

Salty
10-30-2016, 10:17 AM
You've got to look for fresh sign first and in an area you can hunt. A guy can sit and watch a good looking area with no sign till the cows come home. Hunt for the sign first. Having just moved I'm learning new areas. Have only been able to get out a few times so far but I tell myself I haven't found any good sign yet, not that I got skunked! lol Like said you have to put the time in. Find a good area and learn it.

HarryToolips
10-30-2016, 10:26 AM
Where and how your hunting are often the biggest factor

Scouting goes a long ways and just because you hear lots of hunters hunt in an area does not make it good

Due to pressure bucks are always harder to find than does and it's not uncommon to see a lot of does before finding a buck

it can be tough for a new hunter but the more time you spend in the bush the more you will learn. Best advice is slow down and pay attention to the habitat you see deer in most often and where you see the most sign. Each deer species acts different and have proffered habitat
This.............

frankthedog
10-30-2016, 11:16 AM
Forget about a curse. There is always tomorrow. It will happen.

Shikari300WSM
10-30-2016, 11:19 AM
Yeah buddy don't get down on yourself! Sometimes it can be a rough go but you can't get down on yourself. Tomorrow is another day. You keep putting in the work in areas that show some decent fresh sign I am sure you will connect!

brian
10-30-2016, 12:56 PM
I will echo its not a curse, its actually what a lot of new hunters go through. Its when hard reality slams you in the face, hunting is not easy! Its especially hard when new hunters have to travel into unfamiliar areas or rely on the knowledge of other hunters who may not know much themselves. But fear not not, one day you will have a dead deer at your feet and you'll say to yourself "I f*ckin did it, I actually f*ckin did it!" and all those days or years of frustration will wash away. Of course then you'll be slammed with a new hard reality, that the real hard work has only just begun.

monasheemountainman
10-30-2016, 01:01 PM
I will echo its not a curse, its actually what a lot of new hunters go through. Its when hard reality slams you in the face, hunting is not easy! Its especially hard when new hunters have to travel into unfamiliar areas or rely on the knowledge of other hunters who may not know much themselves. But fear not not, one day you will have a dead deer at your feet and you'll say to yourself "I f*ckin did it, I actually f*ckin did it!" and all those days or years of frustration will wash away. Of course then you'll be slammed with a new hard reality, that the real hard work has only just begun.

well put!!

greenhornhunter
10-30-2016, 03:15 PM
I have been out 5 times this year. I didnt get my Pal till ast year just in time for the end of the season. I have also been trying o go out with someone to show me the ropes and how to hunt, field dress etc. I work tuesday to sunday so it is hard to get out especially living in the fraser valley. We spot and talk, look for fresh sign and get our boots dirty. We did learn a lot about their habits, but just couldn't connect.

greenhornhunter
10-30-2016, 03:17 PM
well put!!

Thanks for the encouragement. I wont give up, I'm just discouraged, thats all

ramron
10-30-2016, 04:04 PM
Think of it as a armed camping trip. It will happen .

KBC
10-30-2016, 04:20 PM
I'm sort of in the same boat. This is part way through my third season without any success other than some grouse. I really feel like it will happen eventually as I'm learning every time I get out but I'm just starting to realize the biggest thing that I've taught myself so far;

I really appreciate the outdoors now. I've always been into the outdoors, camped, hiked etc. All the great views were great before I started hunting but now they are better. Now I really notice a lot more of the little things that in the past I'd just walk or drive by. It's kind of hard to explain but I've definitely changed. Eventually it will come...I hope haha

luger
10-30-2016, 04:32 PM
Keep working hard at it. Every year you will learn more and more about deer and where they are and what they are doing though out the season. I've gone from 2 big game animals in 4 years to 4 in 2 years. For the first time ever i won't be going bear hunting next spring cause both my freezers are packed.

Caribou_lou
10-30-2016, 05:05 PM
Im in the same boat as you. 6 hunts and zero tags punched. Ive seen country that would take your breath away. Animals that make your heart rate rise and hunted many days with my father this season. Id say that is far from a curse.

goatdancer
10-30-2016, 05:07 PM
Think of it as a armed camping trip. It will happen .
Or an armed hike.... Those are a wack of fun. I do them all the time. Sure beats working.

two-feet
10-30-2016, 07:32 PM
Try getting hard core. Go where other hunters wont, this will boost your odds considerably.

Ryo
10-30-2016, 08:34 PM
Not that it's a great help this season, but Hunt sheds in the spring. It will take a lot of guesswork out of the game, especially determining where to start your hunt. You'll be finding beds, scat, antlers, and deer, and the deer are far less skittish. Where they are lounging and eating in the spring, is basically where they will be lounging and eating at the end of November, post-rut (if you're hunting mild climates especially). I put my region 3 buck down after a grand total of 4 hours hunting this year, but I had is pretty good idea how it would go down back in April. I'm going to put in long hours for the big blacktaill that got away last year though!

For now, I'd go right back to where you were into does - the game changes in about a week.
Also, once you're into does, think critically about your next move. The buck may not be far. Read some Jack O'Connor for tactics.

good luck'

HarryToolips
10-30-2016, 08:54 PM
^^^^^this is all very good advice...all you green horns gotta relax, it's not just about nailing something, just have fun and keep learning...

greenhornhunter
10-30-2016, 09:04 PM
Thanks everyone for the wise words and encouragement. Once i can afford to go back out i will. Damn hunting sucks out your bank account
Lol

Red_Mist
10-30-2016, 11:25 PM
i am fairly green too. got my first mature buck this week. a big old buck. i connected in a super high pressure area by:
1. going alone, and on foot
2. slowing down
3. observing and listening to everything
4. ...repeating 2 and 3
5. having patience and glassing, glassing, glassing.

Hunt, don't just hike around hoping for a suicidal animal.
You'll get one.

this is good advice. especially the glassing. even in timber its remarkable how you might just see an ear of a an animal....

walks with deer
09-28-2018, 10:00 AM
yup just sell me your gun..lol..