PDA

View Full Version : turnip lake Lytton area

RDM
10-30-2016, 08:59 AM
Have a chance to go to this area for late season 4pts.Not much current info on the area.Any info would help.cheers

ff89
10-30-2016, 05:25 PM
Pulled a 2 pointer out of that area up skunka early October last year, up high, hiked a trail right off the road and spooked him out of his bed

Busterpayton54
11-01-2016, 08:23 PM
I spend a great deal of time up there in fairer weather hiking and dirtbiking.

In my experience they are up high and there are a lot of trails to get you up there. The mountain just to the immediate north of the main race staging area, it's not uncommon for me to run into 3-4-5-6 groups of 5-6 animals within an hour. Seems as if every 10 minutes or so you come around a blind corner and the forest comes alive.

There's always a lot of good sign alongs the ridges and coulees north of Murray peak.. Actually from Murray peak you continue west down and up a slight pass onto the other ridge and head north. Excellent terrain but not all hat much traffic beyond that pass. You can drive a 4x4 or atv to the communication town on Murray peak but not beyond, and that is the only high point accessible via truck or atv. All other trails are for advanced dirt-bikers or healthy/fit hikers. There's a lot of elevation to be gained.

I wouldnt bother hunting the roads or near them. 15 years, 10'000kms worth of riding there, probably near 1000 deer, never saw one within eyesight of a road.
Those high elevation subalpine trails and a real hiker and photographers delight. Beautiful country. Great views.