PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on Bison, 300 Win mag

jakerazer
06-30-2007, 07:08 AM
Hi all
after enterering for Bison for like 18 years i finally won. I will be going in November. I shoot a 300 win mag. Could you guy's give me some suggestions as to Bullet type, Kill zone, and just general info on finding and hunting the Bison in November.
thanks

Steeleco
06-30-2007, 08:45 AM
There's been lots of discussion about your journey here in the past. Try the search at the top. It will give you plenty to read till others answer your question.

As far as 300WM, get the best quality bullet/weight that your gun will shoot well and you'll be on your way.

Marc
06-30-2007, 09:11 AM
The minimum grain you can use for Bison is 175 gr bullet. I would go with a 200gr partion if you handload. I use a 200 gr partition out of my 300 win mag and I'm getting 3/4 group at 100 yards. I've never chronied the load but the data puts it around 2960 fps with a max load.

Marc.

wapiti
06-30-2007, 09:40 AM
Just wondering what the rest of you think about Barnes TSX vs Nosler bullets for such a hunt. I have never hunted bison, but on smaller critters I find the TSX performs well. Would it be a superior bullet to Nosler partitions on a big, tough animal like a bison? I understand that the TSX bullets have a higher percent of retained weight and less fragmentation than other bullets.

bigwhiteys
06-30-2007, 09:54 AM
I killed a buffalo with a 160 grn TSX... he hit the dirt hard and fast... I'd show you the video but it will bring out some of the more abusive whiners on this site. It was a ranch buffalo. Legally you can't shoot them with anything less then 175grn. Private stock it doesn't matter.

Carl

jakerazer
06-30-2007, 10:09 AM
I killed a buffalo with a 160 grn TSX... he hit the dirt hard and fast... I'd show you the video but it will bring out some of the more abusive whiners on this site. It was a ranch buffalo. Legally you can't shoot them with anything less then 175grn. Private stock it doesn't matter.

Carl
Hey Carl
I think i saw your video a while ago and the unpleasantness that followed.
I did'nt understand why people got so worked up about it personally.
If i remember correctly you shot it in the head? Did you keep the skull?
Was the Skull severly damaged or just a hole?
thanks

mntman
06-30-2007, 10:19 AM
Hi all
after enterering for Bison for like 18 years i finally won. I will be going in November. I shoot a 300 win mag. Could you guy's give me some suggestions as to Bullet type, Kill zone, and just general info on finding and hunting the Bison in November.
thanks

I can help you with your buffalo, the wby is all set up for them lol, pending which zone you have you should be ready for all types of weather and a good chainsaw will be a must there are a few local farmers in the area that can help you out, your 300 with 200 will be fine

bigwhiteys
06-30-2007, 10:49 AM
Jake,

Yes - I'll tell you what though... It's some of the best meat I've ever eaten. Even the big old bulls make great burger... Steaks can be a little chewy though :) It was a head shot right between the eyes. Very little damage outside, just a tiny hole and the bullet remained in it's skull/spine somewhere. We never did find it but we didn't look either. I did not keep the skull, it was only for the meat. Sure beats buying steaks at safeway.

Good luck on your hunt!

Carl

Gateholio
06-30-2007, 10:53 AM
Just wondering what the rest of you think about Barnes TSX vs Nosler bullets for such a hunt. I have never hunted bison, but on smaller critters I find the TSX performs well. Would it be a superior bullet to Nosler partitions on a big, tough animal like a bison? I understand that the TSX bullets have a higher percent of retained weight and less fragmentation than other bullets.

A TSX woudl be an excellent choice for a 300magnum.

jakerazer
06-30-2007, 12:29 PM
A TSX woudl be an excellent choice for a 300magnum.

Have you guys heard of the Barnes MRX? They say it has a Tungsten alloy core so it retains energy better?

todbartell
07-01-2007, 10:42 AM
MRX would work just as well as the TSX, but they're not really anything better than the TSX, In my opinion they are not worth the big price increase

in a 300 Mag, a 180 or 200 grain Triple Shock X, or a 200-220 grain Nosler would be good medicine for big bison

Dad and son
07-01-2007, 09:51 PM
Let us know which Zone your draw is for, then those of us who have been in that area, can give you some suggestions.

jakerazer
07-02-2007, 07:43 AM
Let us know which Zone your draw is for, then those of us who have been in that area, can give you some suggestions.
Thanks, I have been drawn for area B of 7-57. Any info would be great!

Mik
07-02-2007, 03:12 PM
I shot one with my 30-06 180gr Winchester Failsafe bullets.I would NOT recommend this bullet as it passed clean thru with very little damage to the vitals. I mean it went down but I had to put a finishing shot in it. after gutting, the hole was minute thru the heart and clean out the other side. The bullets did the same thing in a Moose 3 shots and it was still moving fast. Again clean holes, straight thru, very little damage. I now use the Core-Lokt and it makes mince meat of the insides-thats what I like!!

Fisher-Dude
07-02-2007, 03:34 PM
I've got a draw for bison too, and also shoot a 300 WM. Currently I use 180 gr Core Lokt Ultra Bondeds, and they have performed really well. I'm thinking of going to a 200 gr for the bison, and I'm looking at the Remington Premier A-frame bullets. They are designed for the bigger magnums, and recommended for African game. Anyone have any experience with these? Bartell, your thoughts?

Gateholio
07-02-2007, 04:37 PM
I've got a draw for bison too, and also shoot a 300 WM. Currently I use 180 gr Core Lokt Ultra Bondeds, and they have performed really well. I'm thinking of going to a 200 gr for the bison, and I'm looking at the Remington Premier A-frame bullets. They are designed for the bigger magnums, and recommended for African game. Anyone have any experience with these? Bartell, your thoughts?

I dug a 180gr Core-Lokt bullet from a small black bear this year. It had been previously wounded by an arrow, and then after a long chase, shot at about 60yards wiht a 300RUM.

The bullet entered the chest, traveled most of the length of the small bear, and killed the bear.

The bullet lost much of it's weight, and was almost flat. The bear went down right away, the vitals were smashed up pretty good, but I wasn't too impressed by the bullet performance. I woudln't want to use that bullet on a large, heavy boned animal.

Not sure if this is the same bullet we are talking about, though...

todbartell
07-02-2007, 06:45 PM
there are Cor Lokts, and then there is the Cor Lokt Ultra, which is a bonded core soft point similar to a Speer Grand Slam, but with true core bonding

The A-Frames are basically a Partition but with front jackets that are more beefy, and bonded too. They should be an excellent choice for big critters, especially in 200 grain

brno375
07-02-2007, 06:49 PM
Currently I use 180 gr Core Lokt Ultra Bondeds, and they have performed really well. I'm thinking of going to a 200 gr for the bison

Just use the 180's unless you really want to shoot 200's.