PDA

View Full Version : Is a service road considered a named road?

foreverfortune
10-29-2016, 02:24 PM
Hi I just wanted some clarifications. Is a service road considered a named road if it had a name? For example Lillooet forest service road. It is a logging road, but it has a name and shows up on my vehicle GPS and can be routed.

The regulations states that you cannot shoot with in 400m of any named road. So if i was traveling up this road and spot a deer. Would it be legal for me to shoot?

So is a service road considered a named road if it was big enough to earn a name and placed in city road maps?

squamishhunter
10-29-2016, 03:39 PM
Most mainlines are routed on common gps units. Just because they are doesn't make them shooting restricted.

90% of FSR's are named, you don't see all the road hunters driving the 10% only.

TimberPig
10-29-2016, 04:33 PM
Only public roads, maintained by MOTI have road allowances.

FSR's are not public roads, and don't have road allowances.

Also I would recommend reviewing the regulations, as "named roads" is not how the law is worded.

whitlers
10-29-2016, 04:34 PM
Where in the regulations are you reading this??

Numbered Highways or two lane public roads maintained by the BC Ministry of Transport etc has a 15m restriction and the 400m rule applies to major Highways as listed in the regs pg 13.

Most logging roads or forest service roads are open to shooting. That being said you need to be sure of local restrictions and by laws etc.

Ryo
10-29-2016, 04:56 PM
While the topic is on hand, I have a tougher question:

does a dirt road that is maintained by the gov't (silver/skagit, for example) become 'non-gazetted' when they stop maintaining it for the winter?

BC Cruiser
10-29-2016, 08:36 PM
FSR's are not public roads, .

just to be clear FSRs are public roads.

barry1974w
10-29-2016, 09:33 PM

not private, but not publicly maintained or built for the most part

TimberPig
10-29-2016, 10:08 PM

FSR's are not public roads as defined in the Highways Act, which is what matters here.

They are owned by the provincial Crown, and open for public use, but are not public roads for the purposes of road allowances and shooting.

BC Cruiser
10-30-2016, 08:40 PM
FSR's are not public roads as defined in the Highways Act, which is what matters here.

They are owned by the provincial Crown, and open for public use, but are not public roads for the purposes of road allowances and shooting.

Owned by the crown is what I meant.

HarryToolips
10-30-2016, 08:42 PM
Where in the regulations are you reading this??

Numbered Highways or two lane public roads maintained by the BC Ministry of Transport etc has a 15m restriction and the 400m rule applies to major Highways as listed in the regs pg 13.

Most logging roads or forest service roads are open to shooting. That being said you need to be sure of local restrictions and by laws etc.
This...........

caddisguy
10-31-2016, 09:34 AM
While the topic is on hand, I have a tougher question:

does a dirt road that is maintained by the gov't (silver/skagit, for example) become 'non-gazetted' when they stop maintaining it for the winter?

That is a very good question. I have always wondered if shooting off the Silver/Skagit road is legal. Whether or not it is a two-lane road is questionable and there is signage in the fall/winter that indicates the road is not maintained. Once you hit the provincial park around 40km, it is 400M from the road as per the Parks Act. I suspect that before that, you can shoot off the road. I would avoid it due to the frequent traffic which includes hunters and non hunters. It must also be one of the worst roads for road hunting in existence. 60kms of cratorville with impenetrable jungle on either side of most of it. I do see the occasional grouse, but have never shot off the main. I did point one out to another guy who was looking for birds, but he opted not to shoot it because of the uncertainty.... in that 30 seconds of contemplating, there were 4 cars lined up watching to see what would happen lol

FWIW I did see a road grader working on a section there a week ago... not sure who is was hired by though. There was also a helicopter working in there running fertilizer from a truck to a few spots.

Bonz
10-31-2016, 11:30 AM
dont forget guys on that skagit. at silver lake is park boundry on the road going past to ross. and it says no quads past that point. lost track how many i see past there all the time.
can shoot on the road before ross, once in park, 400 off road, and also around silver is closed within that boundry around the lake. ive seen nothing else saying we cant shoot on the rest of the roads in there

BCHunterTV
11-08-2016, 10:19 PM
the no quads starts at Silver Lake and ends at the lake....basically one can unload after the lake.