PDA

View Full Version : being drawn in your home region

Kapow
10-29-2016, 10:50 AM
Who agrees; your odds should be better for leh in your home region than those who live out of region. Was chatting with a farmer in the kootenays who is desperate to get a draw so he can hunt problem elk on his own property. My local areas are getting smothered with hunters from the lower mainland who seem to get most of the moose draws. Not looking for a complete revamp of the system, just a better chance for the locals. Just an idea

deadlyshot19
10-29-2016, 10:56 AM
Interesting thought.. I've never thought of it personally before this however my first impression would be that it would make it some what unfair to those who cant draw in a home region (such as those who live in the tri cities).

Rackmastr
10-29-2016, 11:03 AM
I don't agree one bit.

Gateholio
10-29-2016, 11:03 AM
It's complete nonsense. All BC citizens should have the same odds. If the farmer has problem elk to hunt, he should find people with elk draws to hunt his property. Easy solution and more than one elk can be removed. Most of the hunters in BC live in the lower mainland, so it's not surprising that many of them are successful in draws.

tomahawk
10-29-2016, 11:07 AM
Totally against it. BC animals are for BC residence. Period!! Going away from your home area and camping out and enjoying the camp, travel time, now area's etc is all part of the hunt that's more important then harvesting a local animal.

adriaticum
10-29-2016, 11:13 AM
No, it should be a lottery.
If you have problem elk, you can deal with those differently.

ruger#1
10-29-2016, 11:16 AM
When you win an elk draw. They used to give you a list of farmers that were having problems with elk. It was up to you to phone the farmer, and make arrangements with him. I bet you wish your odds in your town were better for the 649 also.

Ubertuber
10-29-2016, 11:18 AM
My home region in BC, all of it.

MichelD
10-29-2016, 11:23 AM
My home region in BC, all of it.

Exactly. My hunting licence says British Columbia Resident Hunting Licence.

Not Cranbrook, not Woss, not 100 Mile House, Wiliams Lake, Redstone, FSJ or Atlin.

British Columbia

Frango
10-29-2016, 11:28 AM
I had a run in with a guy a few years back at 100 mile .I was just getting fuel and he comes up and asks where I am going and if I had draw.I told him yes I had draw and he went ballistic on me. He was really angry and thought the whole LEH thing was rigged in favor of LM and Island residents. I tried to talk him down but the more I talked the louder and more in the face he got. The draws are open to all BC hunters and the fact that there are more people in the south did not seem logical to him. I was in on the conspiracy and I was an A whole for going moose hunting in his home area. I can understand the frustration but taking it out on a guy who was just going moose hunting was over the top but some people are like that. Perhaps he should wear a tin foil hat like I do when I put in for an LEH.

Rhyno
10-29-2016, 11:31 AM
It's complete nonsense. All BC citizens should have the same odds. If the farmer has problem elk to hunt, he should find people with elk draws to hunt his property. Easy solution and more than one elk can be removed. Most of the hunters in BC live in the lower mainland, so it's not surprising that many of them are successful in draws.

Gatehouse has summed it up perfectly!

Iron Glove
10-29-2016, 12:00 PM
Heck, I'd love that as long as residences include the cabin. :-)
However, I do agree that it's a BC Draw, open to all and I'm completely OK with that.

Whonnock Boy
10-29-2016, 12:05 PM
This.... One draw for the farmer is not going to solve his issue. Tell him to join the site, post up where he lives, and is willing to allow authorized hunters to hunt his land. His problem will be solved, or severely diminished in a few short years.

Bro 300
10-29-2016, 12:17 PM
Also, maybe it should be made so only V. Islanders get to fish salmon around the island.
To many foreigners from the mainland coming and catching our fish.

How sad the way some peoples children think. No wonder the Nons are winning the battle against us hunters.
Over and out!

todbartell
10-29-2016, 12:26 PM
Region 1/2 hunters RUINED my hunt

Wild one
10-29-2016, 12:28 PM
Don't agree at all should be a level playing field for hunters no matter there location. A priority system do to years applied I would agree as it would spread out the draws instead of some being lucky more often than others.

The lower mainland hunter excuse I come across all the time it is only because there is a higher population so more hunters. No I don't live there anymore and still don't think locals should have priority over any BC resident

I still get draws with this system and its OK either way

As for Farmer wants a draw do to crop damage allow hunters to hunt on his property. Alberta has it right if a farmer is found to not allow any hunting he cannot claim crop damage.

ruger#1
10-29-2016, 12:29 PM
Region 1/2 hunters RUINED my hunt I call BS. I wasn't even up there.

Surrey Boy
10-29-2016, 12:54 PM
We need urban hunters to promote hunting to other urbanites. Be happy for, not envious of, LEH winners.

emerson
10-29-2016, 01:09 PM
No........

Iltasyuko
10-29-2016, 02:00 PM
With all the issues we face with conservation, habitat etc etc...now we wanna direct resources at dynking around with LEH schemes. Yeah let's start with stakeholder engagement meetings throughout BC to come to consensus on what 'local' means...maybe a 3 year plan to get that first step complete.
Sorry but No Thanks to the idea. What next...

Kapow
10-29-2016, 02:05 PM
Lower Mainlanders to the back of the bus! And you can have all the cat and dog you want :)

whitlers
10-29-2016, 02:16 PM
Here we go again

Timbow
10-29-2016, 02:33 PM
Interesting.

Imagine Lower mainlanders getting draws into areas they have never been and then have the gall to ask info after the fact. Hmmmm....sounds familiar?

Cyrus
10-29-2016, 02:35 PM
I actually think if you apply for an LEH in your own area you are least likely to get drawn. The province will make more money off of guys that have to travel from the LMD to the north as opposed to a local person with a draw...just my theory..

emerson
10-29-2016, 04:19 PM
Sound theory, but too complicated for the govt to source the software through their pet contractors.

spatsizi moose
10-29-2016, 05:02 PM
Ontario has an interesting system for this. 95% of the moose tags are put into the regular draw and 5% are held back for northern residents. BC could implement something similar and instead have that 5% go to people exclusively from that region. It would only be viable on the larger draws though.

dmaxtech
10-29-2016, 06:54 PM
How about in your first LEH application you are guaranteed successful. Oh wait, too late for that. Make it second year.

quadrakid
10-29-2016, 07:11 PM
Holy shite boys,its still hunting season,the deer rut is coming up. Get out and go hunting,leave the whining for the off season.

quadrakid
10-29-2016, 07:13 PM
Oh yeah, all my LEH draws have been in my home region,its called British Columbia.

quadrakid
10-29-2016, 07:14 PM
And as a side note, how many guys who live in the interior who whine about this issue are willing to drive for two days just to get to a hunting area?

robtr31
10-30-2016, 08:19 AM
Who agrees; your odds should be better for leh in your home region than those who live out of region. Was chatting with a farmer in the kootenays who is desperate to get a draw so he can hunt problem elk on his own property. My local areas are getting smothered with hunters from the lower mainland who seem to get most of the moose draws. Not looking for a complete revamp of the system, just a better chance for the locals. Just an idea

if want better odds all the farmers should get together in group hunts , same with locals its a lotto system fair chance for all BC residents 1 ticket each

it also good for your local community having hunter tourist visiting local businesses

good luck and good hunting

butcher
10-30-2016, 08:39 AM
I don't want to get drawn near home any more. Too much real life crap gets in the way of serious hunting! Wife, kids, chores, work.... No thank you! I'm putting in all Alberta draws from now on.

steel_ram
10-30-2016, 08:44 AM

How about when you need surgery at a big city hospital you go to the back of the line because you are not local? Sounds pretty much as ignorant.

Cat catcher
10-30-2016, 12:04 PM
I just wish that when people actually get drawn they use it. i don't agree with people applying every year and never going when they get drawn. some of them don't even buy a tag.

Darksith
10-30-2016, 12:17 PM
No sir...I don't like it

Whonnock Boy
10-30-2016, 12:18 PM
Your odds of being drawn yourself is not affected by those who do not use their draw. Unused draws are taken into account when they calculate the amounts of draws given out.

I just wish that when people actually get drawn they use it. i don't agree with people applying every year and never going when they get drawn. some of them don't even buy a tag.

elch jager
10-30-2016, 12:21 PM
Years ago I was quite resentful of big city people coming to Northern Ontario were I grew up and hunting OUR moose. Largely influenced by the thinking of my redneck immigrant father. Now I feel differently and see the larger picture. This land is OUR land.... all of it. I would go so far as to say we should be able to have a national hunting licence and access to LEH across Canada... However, lets not let the federal gov't manage it.

srthomas75
10-30-2016, 12:33 PM
I wouldn't mind having only island residents being elidgable to hunt elk here. same theory as the OP.

rocksteady
10-30-2016, 12:59 PM

maybe he should go to the ministry and sign up for the cow calf season on his property.. In the EK only 4 properties are participating...

Just saying..

Darksith
10-30-2016, 01:14 PM
Oh yeah, all my LEH draws have been in my home region,its called British Columbia.

Bingo....for me it's all about the adventure. When we pull a local moose leh it's a meat harvest not an adventure. I live for heading far and away, leaving the real world behind and forgetting about the nonsense.

Surrey Boy
10-30-2016, 02:18 PM
I wouldn't mind having only island residents being elidgable to hunt elk here. same theory as the OP.

Only if you live within 40 miles of the zone. Keep those snobs in Victoria where they belong.

:grin:

HarryToolips
10-30-2016, 02:34 PM
I don't agree, it should be fair for all residents of BC....and besides, out of towners coming to hunt an area stimulates the economy, gas, hotels, pubs, etc...

ducktoller
10-30-2016, 04:28 PM
Every time I see this attitude I think about the reactions if I said people out of the LML should not have access to hospitals, offices, services, and centralized transit hubs (airports, ports).

I paid my taxes and licensing fees, just because my job and family's jobs require us to be near the city doesn't meant I cannot access MY public lands to utilize OUR public resources. If I want to drive to Reg 1 3 4 5 6 7 or 8 it's no less ethical than driving up Hwy 99 and hunting for BT

russm
10-30-2016, 04:49 PM

You can stay on the island too the , no moose for you.

Gateholio
10-30-2016, 05:55 PM
The common theme I see in threads like this- change the LEH system for better odds for locals, points systems etc etc - all the people in favor of these changes seem to think that if their pet change is implemented, that THEY will get more draws.

It's nonsense, of course. BC LEH doesn't have enough tags or low enough odds for any special system to make a real difference.

The problem is that hunters place too much value on getting LEH draws for them to have a successful season, whereas they should be looking at the best way to use BC's generous GOS for success. Other jurisdictions may use points systems, local tags or some other system to great effect, but they mostly don't have a GOS like BC, where you can start hunting big game August 1 and finish near Christmas!

Ddog
10-30-2016, 08:21 PM
i totally dont agree,, and its pathetic that one would even think of it,,were all BCians and all deserve the same lottery and the same odds..That being said though... I HATE people asking for advice in my region when they have never hunted there before and got a draw and maybe might hunt there but hmmm, i dunno,,, just thought i would put in for a draw there. That drives me nuts. But hey,,who cares..

Drillbit
10-30-2016, 10:01 PM
Got my first moose draw this year for the backyard. Took 18 years of trying.

Have also applied for every other species for 18 years (away from home) and have only once won a Grizzly draw. That's pretty a terrible success rate!

This was also the first year LEH wasn't hand picked.....
(by that I mean, it was online this year and also that every new hunter number applicant I know always gets their first LEH)

I would prefer a True lottery system.

Gateholio
10-30-2016, 11:08 PM
i totally dont agree,, and its pathetic that one would even think of it,,were all BCians and all deserve the same lottery and the same odds..That being said though... I HATE people asking for advice in my region when they have never hunted there before and got a draw and maybe might hunt there but hmmm, i dunno,,, just thought i would put in for a draw there. That drives me nuts. But hey,,who cares..

I used to think that way, too. But after reflection, one of the reasons I hunt-and put in for LEH away from my area- is that it's adventure. It's adventure to go somewhere new. So do it! One of my most memorable hunts was when my buddy said "hey I go this grizz draw in the middle of nowhere, that I've never heard of, so let's go!" :)

That said...I think that people should research truly remote areas prior to putting into a LEH- where they may need a boat or plane to get there- but other than that, have at it.

Darksith
10-30-2016, 11:20 PM
Got my first moose draw this year for the backyard. Took 18 years of trying.

Have also applied for every other species for 18 years (away from home) and have only once won a Grizzly draw. That's pretty a terrible success rate!

This was also the first year LEH wasn't hand picked.....
(by that I mean, it was online this year and also that every new hunter number applicant I know always gets their first LEH)

I would prefer a True lottery system.
It is a true lottery...I know about 10 new hunters or were new 5 years ago that have all struck out. I bet you let me put you in for leh and you would win more than you have. Too many 1:1 odds for people to complain about never getting an leh if they really wanted one...but as said, the beauty is you dont need a leh to hunt most big game in bc

Drillbit
10-31-2016, 08:30 AM
It is a true lottery...I know about 10 new hunters or were new 5 years ago that have all struck out. I bet you let me put you in for leh and you would win more than you have. Too many 1:1 odds for people to complain about never getting an leh if they really wanted one...but as said, the beauty is you dont need a leh to hunt most big game in bc

I want one where I live. There's GOS if I want to travel.

For 18 years I've traveled for GOS and out of province and had fun, but it would be nice to get one at home within the next 18 years.

And the neigbour gets drawn every 4 out of 5 years.....same place

barry1974w
10-31-2016, 09:22 AM
The common theme I see in threads like this- change the LEH system for better odds for locals, points systems etc etc - all the people in favor of these changes seem to think that if their pet change is implemented, that THEY will get more draws.

It's nonsense, of course. BC LEH doesn't have enough tags or low enough odds for any special system to make a real difference.

The problem is that hunters place too much value on getting LEH draws for them to have a successful season, whereas they should be looking at the best way to use BC's generous GOS for success. Other jurisdictions may use points systems, local tags or some other system to great effect, but they mostly don't have a GOS like BC, where you can start hunting big game August 1 and finish near Christmas!

bingo! LEH is a bonus. Getting a draw is great, but you still have great opportunitys if you don't get one. Now if we could just talk our employers into changing the deadline to apply for time off until after the LEH results come out.....

elch jager
10-31-2016, 09:27 AM

Agreed. If you are going to apply for LEH do some research, look at the ratios and prepare to travel to someplace unfamiliar.

Although the GOS is 'generous' it does result in a gongshow in the southmost wmu's. The thread on region 6 and the lunacy the CO's had to deal with are your evidence. Drive further and leave the beaten path to increase your odds of success. Take note of areas that have controversy around indigenous rights and either steer clear or go armed with understanding and caution.

barry1974w
10-31-2016, 09:29 AM
I want one where I live. There's GOS if I want to travel.

For 18 years I've traveled for GOS and out of province and had fun, but it would be nice to get one at home within the next 18 years.

And the neigbour gets drawn every 4 out of 5 years.....same place

your profile doesn't say where you live, what are the odds like in your area? It does seem strange that your neighbor gets draws eighty percent of the time. But that's how a lottery system works I guess. Do you know if your neighbor applies as a shared hunt or solo?

Max Ranger
10-31-2016, 09:39 AM
this complaint has been heard since leh was first introduced. When we had 2 week open season for moose in
cariboo region, hunting pressure was incredibly high. Not just moose but lots of deer and bear were taken over the
2 weeks. lots of game also wounded and lost. Locals were outraged by the invasion of hunters from outside the district, especially when finding spoiled game dumped in local landfills or illegal kills left to rot in the bush. Govt. responded to complaints by locals by imposing leh for all moose hunting in region 5. So now there's less hunters
in the bush and those who get a draw have a decent chance of filling their tag. I'm not happy when I don't get a draw to hunt close to home but I feel it's still a fair way to let people hunt the limited supply of game in the area
without the crowds and fierce competition that used to happen in the past. Just my opinion.

frenchbar
10-31-2016, 10:57 AM
Just say no to crack..

Darksith
10-31-2016, 11:43 AM
Im scrolling though the Moose LEH odds from last year...there are a ton of under subscribed hunts...a bunch that I would bet wouldn't be that hard to fill either. The "I want an LEH in my back yard" comments are so silly...what do you think the islanders are saying about the Rosie odds? If you want an LEH so you can hunt in the rut, go get 1, do some scouting and come up with a plan to make it happen. Its actually quite ridiculous how many Moose LEH are under subscribed and during the rut. Sure there are some crazy 97:1 and 107:1 odds...who in their right mind puts in for that for a moose, even 20:1 is such a long shot its a waste of time... its like there are no other spots to hunt within a couple hours...nonsense.

Kootenay Logger
10-31-2016, 05:02 PM
I've been a member a long time and usually sit back and read with interest when a thread like this starts. Will put my 2 bits in and disappear again. I used to think it wasn't fair that I couldn't get drawn for LEH and people from other areas could, I helped do the enhancement work with the local clubs, became prez of local club, attended fed conventions, did all the right things and couldn't get drawn for moose and someone from out of area could get drawn often. Then I met a fed member who took me fishing on the coast, seen the stream rehab he had done, volunteer work at a fish hatchery, sure opened my eyes! We all from BC it's the system that's wrong not where you live, if it was a priority system we would all get a fair chance like Alberta. I know it sounds like preaching but if every hunter took a turn with a club to help with range enhancement writing letters to politicians or just learn what goes on out there with clubs and why things are the way they are you wouldn't have threads like this. On a better note really enjoy the pics and stories on this website, makes me jealous, not of the big ram or elk, but the hunter who just shot his first deer and his journey into hunting has just begun!
But I still enjoy the the big critters! Thanks,

barry1974w
11-01-2016, 07:55 PM
I've been a member a long time and usually sit back and read with interest when a thread like this starts. Will put my 2 bits in and disappear again. I used to think it wasn't fair that I couldn't get drawn for LEH and people from other areas could, I helped do the enhancement work with the local clubs, became prez of local club, attended fed conventions, did all the right things and couldn't get drawn for moose and someone from out of area could get drawn often. Then I met a fed member who took me fishing on the coast, seen the stream rehab he had done, volunteer work at a fish hatchery, sure opened my eyes! We all from BC it's the system that's wrong not where you live, if it was a priority system we would all get a fair chance like Alberta. I know it sounds like preaching but if every hunter took a turn with a club to help with range enhancement writing letters to politicians or just learn what goes on out there with clubs and why things are the way they are you wouldn't have threads like this. On a better note really enjoy the pics and stories on this website, makes me jealous, not of the big ram or elk, but the hunter who just shot his first deer and his journey into hunting has just begun!
But I still enjoy the the big critters! Thanks,

we all do get a fair chance, put your name in a hat, pick a name out, pretty fair