PDA

View Full Version : Do you hunt alone?

o2fish2day
06-30-2007, 01:03 AM
The missing hunter thread got me wondering how many guys go out there alone. I have done it a few times. I am wondering how frequent this is.

hunter1947
06-30-2007, 05:05 AM
I used to hunt buy myself over the years ,now I hunt alone about 30% of the time in the last 4 years as i have got older. When i do go alone my wife or my hunting partner knows what area i am hunting in when i go.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

kutenay
06-30-2007, 06:05 AM
I have two excellent friends/partners whom I hunt with whenever their busy schedules permit and I hope to hunt with my nephew when he can, he is a working fool and seldom has a day off.

However, I usually hunt solo, often prefer to and have since 1964. I have the gear, skills and experience so that I feel comfortable and safe doing this and always have.

For elk, a partner is good, but, for deer, grouse and turkeys, solo is best, for me, anyway.

Wildman
06-30-2007, 06:24 AM
Most of the time.

Walksalot
06-30-2007, 06:30 AM
I hunt alone most of the time. One has got to be a bit more cautious when hunting alone. Along with survival equipment I carry a cell phone and ham radio with the local logging company frequency punched in.

Also, depending upon the time of year, one has to use common sense as to when and where he/she bags an animal. If you are back in the bush and by yourself one has to be pretty certain that they can get the animal out before it spoils, if questionable, let it go. I

There was a local who shot an elk in the early part of the season and by the time he returned with his buddies the meat had spoiled. He got the antlers though and bragged about shooting an elk.

06-30-2007, 06:58 AM
l hunt locally by myself quite a bit, but my meat hunts or extended ones are always a joint effort

oscar makonka
06-30-2007, 08:04 AM
Mostly hunt alone, I'm a miserable prick and everyone else just gets in my way.:wink::mrgreen:

338 winmag
06-30-2007, 08:13 AM
going after grizz alone this fall , its more dangerous to walk downtown Vancouver at night , we all face the same outcome in the end .

Steeleco
06-30-2007, 08:42 AM
Once we leave camp there periods when I won't see the other guy for hours, if something were to happen, your just as lost as being alone!
I do hunt a fair bit by myself, but the boss always knows which area I'll be in.

bsa30-06
06-30-2007, 08:51 AM
I hunt alone almost all the time.Like has been said previously therew are a few more limitations that you have to be aware of while hunting alone, and somebody should ALWAYS no where you are going to be and approxamitely when your due back.

kutenay
06-30-2007, 08:51 AM
Mostly hunt alone, I'm a miserable prick and everyone else just gets in my way.:wink::mrgreen:

Bushrat, ya old bugger, only you are as ornery as me!!! I love this crack as that's what I usually say to people who tell me that I "shouldn't" do whatever...... great stuff!!! :)

Mtn Wonderer
06-30-2007, 09:12 AM
I hunt alone 90% of the time especially local and southern BC, I have done 10 day back pack hunts solo in the high north it can be a little nerve racking when there is no one to watch your back in the evenings. You might say I have a little respect the number 1 predator out there.

Lastly I do tell someone where I am goiing but BC back country is so rough and heavliy covered. If you really get hurt out there your pretty much hooped it's going to days to find you.
I try and make sensible decisions but when there is 2-3 inches of new snow on the ground after some rain even the tamest areas can become hazardess, for good slip and fall.

The predicament

Caveman
06-30-2007, 09:29 AM
I hunt alone probably 80% of the time. Mostly local trips but have taken a few trips to places unknown to me alone such as Wilson Lake southeast of Atlin.

DieselDog
06-30-2007, 09:34 AM
I do hunt alone once in a while, but I prefer to hunt with a partner. I've got some great hunting partners that I like to spend time with, #1 being my girlfriend.

JAYDEE
06-30-2007, 09:44 AM
I like to hunt alone, but somebody always knows where I am.

ruger#1
06-30-2007, 10:12 AM
Dog im not your girlfreind. And i like to hunt alone. Unless my father comes with me.

Chuck
06-30-2007, 11:54 AM
I've almost always hunted alone. I think it's a "me" thing ??

Phreddy
07-01-2007, 04:36 PM
Living in the area I do, I do all my early season hunting/scouting out different spots to locate the moose and elk, and if a suicidal critter happened to stick it's head out of the bush I'd put him in the freezer. Usually though, I reserve my "in the bush" hunting for late in the season when I know where they (whatever) usually are, and my sons and I take our critters then. It's just damned nice to get out into the bush anytime, and early season scouts just give me more excuse.

frenchbar
07-01-2007, 04:44 PM
Mostly hunt alone, I'm a miserable prick and everyone else just gets in my way.:wink::mrgreen:Ha-Ha,i thought it was cause ya dont have any freinds:wink:back to your garbage can oscar: as for hunting alone ,probably 75% of the time im alone.

hunter1947
07-01-2007, 05:06 PM
About up to 5 years ago ,i hunted 100% of the time by myself ,but when you get older you start thinking different then you did when you were in your 40ties or early 50ties. maybe you think smarter as you get older :-?.

Mik
07-02-2007, 03:27 PM
The lost Spatsizi hunter also told his wife where he was goin'.... So as far as letting someone know where you're going, great, but its always better with someone else around....Thats why I never hunt alone.

Mr. Dean
07-02-2007, 11:50 PM
Alone with a check-in time.

The Hermit
07-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Lately I haven't had a truck so have only been hunting with Franko and others willing to put up with me. I answered more than 4 trips per year because in the past that was true and will be again in the future