PDA

View Full Version : 8-6 or 3-30 (Mulie 4x4, Moose spike fork)

Tim Tam Slam
10-28-2016, 04:25 PM
I'm heading out November 11th-13th to see if I can fill the freezer. Went to Tunkwa just after thanksgiving for 4 days and saw a ton of mulie does and one white tail doe (that was shot before our eyes by a buddy and his lady who helped us out of the worst 4x4 experience I've had - thanks again if you're reading this!)

ive been debating either 8-6 (China creek) or 3-30 (bridge lake area) -I'm open to others- for the last deer hunt of the season. I've read quite a lot of threads stating 3-30 has too many wolves (everything shoot able is long gone), and 8-6 is full of ATV's and over hunted. Not sure if anyone has up to date advise on these areas, maybe from this year...

looking for Mulies (4x4) and spike fork moose. Any help is much appreciated, I'm torn where to go to get the best chance at dropping something. Also heard that moose are more in the feeding areas this time of year and shouldn't/can't be called out - maybe someone can chime in on that.

Cheers,
Marko

russm
10-28-2016, 05:11 PM
Depends where in 3-30 you go, where i was last week I've been seeing more and more bucks over the last couple seasons than i have in the passed, you definitely have to know where and where not to look or you'll end up wasting a lot of time. Theres certsin areas in spots i go that i barely pay attention to and spots i almost always see something, I personally havent seen wolf tracks in 3-30, saw a bunch of coyote but thats it. Ill be in 3-30 monday to hopefully get my mulie doe on Tuesday morning.

604redneck
10-28-2016, 05:15 PM
No mule deer open in 8-6 at that time

Pinewood
10-28-2016, 06:55 PM
I shot a little spike in 8-5 Wednesday morning, but the word around there is that it has been really slow for bucks all season. I'm sure there are varying opinions.

HarryToolips
10-28-2016, 10:40 PM
No mule deer open in 8-6 at that time
What he said...gotta actually read the regs there OP..so I'd go 3-30...

Tim Tam Slam
10-29-2016, 06:22 AM
Hah, well isn't that so... Sorry fella's should have done my homework. Punched in the dates wrong in my hunting buddy app I guess!

cheers

hparrott
10-29-2016, 07:28 AM
Be mindful of the boundaries if you are looking for an immature moose around Bridge lake as that is 5-1. Head a bit more south. There are wolves there unfortunately. We have come across them this year more than last year unfortunately.

Weatherby Fan
10-29-2016, 07:50 AM
Lots of wolves in 3-30, and yes Bridge Lake is not 3-30, do your homework.

you may have to call on Srupp the Moose Whisperer as he's a bit of an authority on that species !

3-30 gets hammered hard in Oct for the any buck seasoned and has a fair amount of doe LEH draws, you really have to get off the beaten path to have any success.