PDA

View Full Version : Any bull region 6 moose numbers?

emerson
10-27-2016, 04:22 PM
Just spent 7 days hunting 6-9. Lots of walking, calling(cow, no grunts), good habitat, lots of older sign(beds, tracks, nibbled willows, rubs), a few new tracks. Saw 2 cow/calves together crossing the river once. One deer, one wolf running, no other moose sightings. Often wolf tracks though. No black bear sightings either. Never bumped into other hunters while walking, no response to calls. Cousin hunting 6-8/9 had the same experience; he has been hunting there 40 yrs, although usually with much more success. In past years there and region 7 around PG I've seen many more moose, just usually wrong time, place, sex, etc. What was your experience hunting this opening? Anyone have an earlier draw how did that work for you?

Fisher-Dude
10-27-2016, 04:26 PM
How was the weather? What was the moon phase?

tinhorse
10-27-2016, 04:31 PM
Im glad there were calves with the cows you saw. Thats a positive anyways.

Caribou_lou
10-27-2016, 04:37 PM
Considering the weather wasnt great and its post rut. Im not surprised. My mother shot one opening morning on a heavily hunted lake. Just need to get some luck! Im thinking there was a decent amount shot in the hunt with snow at higher elevations.

two-feet
10-27-2016, 06:26 PM
Certainly know of some success, and many people going home empty. Any moose hanging out close to a road or quad trail will get picked off quick, lots of guys out there.

Smithers
10-27-2016, 07:50 PM
Being one of the local meatcutters i can tell you that the early seasons were very busy or animals being taken, to the point our coolers were right full and we were turning away animals. the rut seemed late this year and it was off like someone flipped a switch. even the outfitters that were doing 100% went to 0% as soon as the rut was over. my family hit the bush hard all week but didn't turn up much other than the odd cow calf. that being said, i managed to get one day off and went out and got myself a bull, which ended up dying 200 yards from a mainline. :)

two-feet
10-27-2016, 08:18 PM
My buddy called one in oct23, it came in smashing and grunting. 6-09. 49" bull

barry1974w
10-27-2016, 09:20 PM
I spent 10 days in 6-01 before the open bull, saw two moose, three wolves, couple griz, and tons of black bears. Very little for fresh moose sign, most of the guys I talked to weren't seeing much either. But some guys got moose once the rut got going.

Caribou_lou
10-27-2016, 10:01 PM
Being one of the local meatcutters i can tell you that the early seasons were very busy or animals being taken, to the point our coolers were right full and we were turning away animals. the rut seemed late this year and it was off like someone flipped a switch. even the outfitters that were doing 100% went to 0% as soon as the rut was over. my family hit the bush hard all week but didn't turn up much other than the odd cow calf. that being said, i managed to get one day off and went out and got myself a bull, which ended up dying 200 yards from a mainline. :)

I pulled that off last year. My parents hunted hard with no luck all week. And I punch my tag, on the only day I had off, first hour. Like I said. A bit of luck. Knowing where some moose are helps too!

kilometers
10-27-2016, 10:03 PM
1 huge old dry cow one cow and calf and one small cow. Couple rut trees in every spot I went to. Lots of sighn and tracks. Didn't connect with a bull besides the one my dad got in the bow season.
Didnt hunt as hard this year got some medical issues im dealing with
Know quite a few people that did get one would say it was an average year around terrace

spock
10-28-2016, 03:57 AM
9 moose sightings all cows or cow calf pairs plus sign in the snow or on the trail that had just been made in a completely different area that would indicate two more cow calf pairs. Saw a guy coming back from the south side of ootsa lake with what must have been a 50+ inch rack.

XPEIer
10-28-2016, 06:39 AM
We hunted 6-05, one camp took 3 bulls, another camp 1, we got skunked. We were pleased to see tons of cows and calves. Not so pleased to see the sow Grizz and her cub coming in the trail I was heading out on, good bear caught my wind, stood up had a look to confirm and was gone.
Lots of fresh wolf sign, and possibly 2 other Grizz in the small area.

Xpeier

decker9
10-28-2016, 07:09 AM
I hunted my fav moose area on my trap line on 6-04, daylight to dark every day except one morning I took off. All I can say is, ELK!!!! I've never seen a elk on my line, but have seen the odd track over the years. This year I run into a heard of 6, and tracks everywhere, everyday. I only seen a few moose tracks, and one moose bum as it ran in the bush. Not a single wolf track which was weird, but lots of coyotes in groups of 3-4-5.

Will the elk really push moose out? Or is that just a myth?

Arctic Lake
10-28-2016, 11:02 AM
Just spent 7 days hunting 6-9. Lots of walking, calling(cow, no grunts), good habitat, lots of older sign(beds, tracks, nibbled willows, rubs), a few new tracks. Saw 2 cow/calves together crossing the river once. One deer, one wolf running, no other moose sightings. Often wolf tracks though. No black bear sightings either. Never bumped into other hunters while walking, no response to calls. Cousin hunting 6-8/9 had the same experience; he has been hunting there 40 yrs, although usually with much more success. In past years there and region 7 around PG I've seen many more moose, just usually wrong time, place, sex, etc. What was your experience hunting this opening? Anyone have an earlier draw how did that work for you?

Emerson it sounds like you had the same results as we did, only we were in northern half of 7-25.Betterr luck next year !
Arctic Lake

Whonnock Boy
10-28-2016, 01:58 PM
Hunted 6-09 as well. A lot more traffic than I've been used to. The last few years has definitely seen a spike in hunter activity in the last 2 or 3 years. A total of 4 moose spotted. A dry cow, cow/calf pair, and one young bull. I had the scope on the young bull the last day, but just didn't want to stop to give me an ethical shot in the 12-15 foot xmas trees. That's hunting.

sako79
10-28-2016, 02:06 PM
I hunted 6-4. We saw 15 moose One Bull that was not a legal shooter, it was alot bigger that a calf and had a long bell but only had nubs, no antlers protruding . We see our first Wolverine

emerson
10-28-2016, 10:07 PM
Uncle who hunted the same area (6-9) stopped by today. He had a conversation with a CO checking steelheaders and asked about moose #'s. CO said he checked 5 camps of 4 hunters each during the any bull opening, they had 1 bull between them. Said things were much busier during the early draw but dropped off quick in Oct.

Darksith
10-28-2016, 10:47 PM
I know a group...got 4 Bulls in 3 days in reg 6. All about knowing where to go...

emerson
10-28-2016, 10:49 PM
So during the any bull in 6-8/9 then?? If so good job. If not, well, if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle. Family members have been hunting this area for over 50 yrs, but maybe they are behind the times.

Darksith
10-29-2016, 01:24 AM
So during the any bull in 6-8/9 then?? If so good job. If not, well, if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle. Family members have been hunting this area for over 50 yrs, but maybe they are behind the times.

Not wasn't 6-8 or 6-9. I have shared hunt leh in same MU as my buddy's good fortunes...leaving Wednesday. Will share the adventure

emerson
10-29-2016, 10:06 AM
Good luck.

Piperdown
10-29-2016, 04:01 PM
Was up at the cabin in 6-04 for 32 days. Hit the bow season start of Oct and stayed till the end of the gos. In total we saw 12 different bulls, probably 20 cows and about 8 calves. Didn't connect on any, we were in bow range on 4 during the bow season, no ethical shots even when one was at 30 ft, but that's how it goes. The rut then was strong, slowed down after and only saw 2 bulls during the gos and they did not pan out.

emerson
10-29-2016, 04:15 PM
Was up at the cabin in 6-04 for 32 days. Hit the bow season start of Oct and stayed till the end of the gos. In total we saw 12 different bulls, probably 20 cows and about 8 calves. Didn't connect on any, we were in bow range on 4 during the bow season, no ethical shots even when one was at 30 ft, but that's how it goes. The rut then was strong, slowed down after and only saw 2 bulls during the gos and they did not pan out.
Good info. Sounds like after rut was quite slow for bulls for most hunters.