PDA

View Full Version : Which game cam to buy

timberhunter
10-27-2016, 01:28 AM
Looking at buying 2 or 3 game cams. Will be a first time thing for me. But I have a spot I hunt that I would love to put some cams in to get travell time info and whats actually in the area.
Don't want to break the bank account because of the chance they will get swiped anyways.
Any suggestions?

eastkoothunter
10-27-2016, 06:38 AM
Wildgame Innovations or Cuddeback. I get good clarity pictures from both, fairly easy to use.

Cyrus
10-27-2016, 06:49 AM
Ive had the best luck with browning or the older bushnells off ebay. Avoid primos moultrie and new bushnells imo.

dd3boss
10-27-2016, 07:00 AM
If you want decent quality and affordable the Simmons brand are rated very good. They are great on battery life and they often go on sale for half price at the stores that carry them. I have 4 of them and they have worked flawlessly. The Simmons whitetail line are the ones I am using. Simple to set up too.

caddisguy
10-27-2016, 07:14 AM
I use the Simmons Whitetail series. Often you can find them for under $100. They take pretty good vids and I don't feel too bad when one gets mauled by a bear.

boxhitch
10-27-2016, 08:01 AM
Going to CT this week for another pair of Moultries. So far so good.

deadlyshot19
10-27-2016, 08:11 AM
I have both Bushnell and Stealthcam, both work well however the Bushnell is a little bit of a pain to get all the batteries to stay in properly.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-27-2016, 09:05 AM
Going to CT this week for another pair of Moultries. So far so good.

On sale this week?

timberhunter
10-27-2016, 09:20 AM
I see the 2 pack of moultrie game spy are on sale. But all the reviews say they are junk.

todbartell
10-27-2016, 09:27 AM
Check out the new Spypoint Solar, it has an integrated solar panel that charges an internal battery. Unlimited battery life, 12MP photos, 720p HD Video -- $290

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p480x480/14572948_1537242886319879_2014943719761239652_n.jp g?oh=36391267023ce89f9850e56eefd73482&oe=588E8019

Iltasyuko
10-27-2016, 09:40 AM
Stealth Cam G42NG has nice colour video and pics with good performance but eats a lot of SD card memory per file and isn't easy on batteries. The Browning Strikeforce Elite 10MP is a good option and can be found for $150 on sale easily.

Seeker
10-27-2016, 09:46 AM
I run a fleet of 7 new Bushnell trophy cams and 2 Stealth Cams. Bushnell work well once you figure out the motion sensor and become familiar with the particulars that set them off. There trigger speed is average and batteries can become slightly dislodged which causes camera to stop taking pictures. I also run two stealth cams that were on sale at CT. After two years they are now failing to work as they once did.....junk. Stealth cam pictures are no where near the quality of the Bushnell, but if just want to know what is there, the pictures these cameras put out are satisfactory. I have a brother in law who runs two Browning cams and the pictures are fantastic and the trigger speed is as fast as any camera I know. If I were to purchase a cam now it would be a browning. The solar panel is a great idea. Put that with the cellular camera and you have low maintenance scouting machine. I love running the camera's, but they consume a LOT of time. Best bet is to start with only one or two.

timberhunter
10-27-2016, 10:00 AM
And at $300 a cam thats just a little over the top for something that will be left on crown land and as I said before might get ripped off.

TobyDexter
10-27-2016, 10:10 AM
I noticed the spypoint solar cams are on sale at cabelas at the moment. I think they were 219$. I just picked up a wild game innovations cam from Canadian tire on sale but I haven't checked it yet to see the quality of the pictures

Brian011
10-27-2016, 10:25 AM
I have quite a few cams, and all kinds. This year I've actually had good luck with most of my cams working great, I like the bushnell aggressor, and primos cam that I have. I also have a couple moultries and bushnell cams that have worked well too and one spypoint cam that works good. Get cams that take AA batteries and I suggest using the lithium ones, they are way more expensive but I've got over 10 000 pics on some cams this year and the battery life still shows 100%

boxhitch
10-27-2016, 10:44 AM
On sale this week?yeah thought I'd try them. almost disposable price. Will pair one with another cam on the same stump to make judgement

timberhunter
10-27-2016, 10:56 AM
Anyone have any experience with the Browning BTC 2. They seems to be not bad value for the dollar according to the reviews.

GoatGuy
10-27-2016, 11:51 AM
Been doing some testing.

Spypoint takes 5-10 pictures of deer for every 1 the tasco takes off the same tree. The tasco misses a pile of the deer coming in completely and all the ones just moving through. Usually deer go by at about 15-20'.

You get what you pay for.

Husky7mm
10-27-2016, 12:30 PM
I have had good luck with wild game innovations and moultrie. Have run spypoint with some problems, but it makes no sound and has no flash so nothing touches it , which is nice. I had ok luck with the older primos but it made a click noise and got messed with all the time. Eventually it died but iirc a battery blew up inside it.( ac delco) I also have some cheap wildviews , they miss the old pic but often get a shot the second an animal enters the sensor area and then 2-3 more on burst mode. They have no flash range in the dark. I will by wild game innovations and moultrie again. None are high end as bears and elk wreck them but they don't miss much and they take great pics.

Harvest the Land
10-27-2016, 03:56 PM
I have 3 older Moultrie's and they work great. Also have (or had) 3 WGI from CT (I discovered one of them got jacked this weekend - all that work down the drain), but they worked great as well. Its easier to swallow having an inexpensive trail cam getting jacked than an expensive one, but its not about the money, its about the intel that the camera holds that's more important. Also have a more expensive UWAY 600MB cellular cam and that's the gift that keeps on giving - highly recommend Uway, they have great customer service out of Calgary too. (make sure you hide your expensive trail cams really well)

Clint_S
10-27-2016, 05:22 PM
http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv133/Stubby_01/Post/Simmons%20WT_zpszixevisq.jpg

Simmons WT $60 with rebate when on sale (usually around or shortly after xmas)
I run 5 and best bang for the buck IMO

RiverOtter
10-27-2016, 06:04 PM
Bought a Spy Point a few years back and couldn't be happier.

Nugget
10-27-2016, 06:33 PM
Primos Truth Cam 46. Awesome cam for the price. Owned mine for 2 years now and have never had an issue. Costed me 80$.

Sitkaspruce
10-27-2016, 08:25 PM
I have 3 Spypoint's ;2-IR-7 and 1-IR 5, going on their 5th year with no problems, match them up with their own Lithium Battery and they will last all winter. I have three Bushnell's (well 2 as an asshat stole one in the last couple weeks.....) and they are great cameras that take great pictures, 4 Simmons 7mp Prohunters and they are my go to camera as they take a ton of pictures on 4 AA batteries, cost less than $100 and are tough. I also have a first gen Browning and although it is a great little camera, it eats batteries and the pictures can be a little over exposed sometimes. I also have a homebrew Sony camera and it takes the best pictures of all of them, but only pictures.

What I have had bad luck with is WGI and Stealth Cam, all have been CT specials and have not lasted more than two years. Will not go back to them again.

Don't worry about megapixel as all cameras are around 2mp and they extrapolate the MP's to make it look better. As someone else said, only AA batteries, if you like video, get at least 720p, 480 sucks!!, cannot recommend enough that you get a camera that you can get a bear proof lockable case, it will help save your camera from bears, elk (biggest PITA for me), moose and MOST people who find your camera. My only complaint about the Simmons, have to modify a Bushnell bear case to get them to fit as they don't make one for them.

Good luck and post up some of your pictures.

Cheers

SS

Duk Dog
10-27-2016, 08:59 PM
Another Spypoint vote.

Ourea
10-27-2016, 09:26 PM
I run 22+ cams.
I seldom buy below the $150 retail mark.

I have been outspoken about Browning cams for their exceptional trigger speed and detection.
I believe I have about 15 or 16 of them?

My first dozen were flawless.
Having said that, the latest Brownings I have bought have quite a few issues....
Failing IR
Cam will write the files too large burning up the SD card memory after 80 or so 1 min videos.
A few other inconsistencies....

Electronics will always have production runs that are lemons.
Key is to be informed thru industry websites that test product to high standards.
Their testing criteria and results are far superior than seeking layman opinions.
Average consumer merely hangs a cam on a tree, gets pictures, and is happy.
They never test it side by side with other cams etc etc

Myself, I put detection and trigger speed at the top of the list on product decision.
Numerous cams have dead zones with respects to distance and angle of entry.

I have tested several different cams all at the same angle and height to the target area.
The number of images captured by each cam can vary by over 50 percent.
Think about that
More to trail cam performance than pretty pictures

Do your homework and you will make a good decision.