PDA

View Full Version : 7-27 /takla

two-feet
10-25-2016, 09:53 PM
Hello gents

so with hunting done for me this year, i now start the long, enjoyable proccess of planning the hunt for next year. Many, many hours will be spent over maps and google earth while savoring a cold pint.

I have headed to new areas every year for 4 years in a row now, mostly for the pleasure of exploring our wonderful province.

So one corner of BC that i have not seen is takla lk, and as i am working in granisle every day watching the barge head across it piques my interest...

anybody have any general info or stories to share?

Anybody been all the way into bear lake?

Thx

Caribou_lou
10-25-2016, 10:11 PM
I know of a group that went into region 7 this year. Not sure of their location but they were successful. 3 bulls in 5 days. I think it was around Sept 15th. Give or take a few days. I believe they also drove in through the road north of Babine lake past the Babine river. Which is much longer if you have the choice of taking the ferry across. Lots of Grizzly over there. But I guess there is starting to be more Grizz everywhere these days.

604redneck
10-26-2016, 05:39 AM
I have guided in that area and got a tag last year. A lot less moose than there were a few years ago but if you do go on try and take a grizz tag, also an elk tag.

decker9
10-26-2016, 05:47 AM
I've hunted goats around takla a lot, I've honestly never seen any other game so to speak besides bears. Some beautiful country around takla, take a fishin rod!!

two-feet
10-26-2016, 06:04 AM
Yes the word from the guys working over there is more elk, more grizz, less moose every year.

two-feet
10-26-2016, 06:05 AM
Lots of country though, still the odd swamp with a donkey im sure

takla1
10-26-2016, 07:13 AM
Ive hunted 7-27 for many ,many yrs and know that country well.over 30 yrs our group have taken more than 25 bull moose and 50 Black bear.From the sounds of that statement one might think that game is running all over the place there but its generally always grinding hunt dependent on hitting the rut just right for the moose.Last 5 yrs been seeing more big deer as well.Black bear are numerous and griz are seen most yrs while hunting.
This is a limited entry hunt for bulls so altho our group has had better than average success others we know that hunt that region have had much less success pulling LEH tags than we have.

takla

zurevins
10-26-2016, 09:58 AM
Had a draw in 7-27 there this year for moose. In 8 full days of hunting spread over the last weekend of September and the first weekend of October doing lots of hiking/sitting/calling/canoeing etc. I did not see a single bull moose. Wolf sign was abundant with moose hair found in the scat. A friend of mine had a draw in 7-28 and I was able to call a nice bull in for him to take his first animal ever. So in 8 days hunting 7-27 and western 7-28 I saw 5 cows (no calves) and the one bull I called in for my friend. I have been up there a number of times hunting bears/fishing etc. and the habitat is there for the moose...just not many moose it seems. Currently there are not too many roads or logging blocks in the area as well with a general low amount of hunting pressure from my experience. This has led me to believe the area is a bit of a "predator pit" up there at the moment with many of the calves being predated on by bears (both black and grizzly) at a very early age as well as constant pressure from the canines in the area. Anyways nice country, but if planning a moose trip is your priority, I would recommend a different location as I now know for myself the population density of moose is quite low in this region.

takla1
10-26-2016, 02:22 PM
Had a draw in 7-27 there this year for moose. In 8 full days of hunting spread over the last weekend of September and the first weekend of October doing lots of hiking/sitting/calling/canoeing etc. I did not see a single bull moose. Wolf sign was abundant with moose hair found in the scat. A friend of mine had a draw in 7-28 and I was able to call a nice bull in for him to take his first animal ever. So in 8 days hunting 7-27 and western 7-28 I saw 5 cows (no calves) and the one bull I called in for my friend. I have been up there a number of times hunting bears/fishing etc. and the habitat is there for the moose...just not many moose it seems. Currently there are not too many roads or logging blocks in the area as well with a general low amount of hunting pressure from my experience. This has led me to believe the area is a bit of a "predator pit" up there at the moment with many of the calves being predated on by bears (both black and grizzly) at a very early age as well as constant pressure from the canines in the area. Anyways nice country, but if planning a moose trip is your priority, I would recommend a different location as I now know for myself the population density of moose is quite low in this region.

Make no mistake the bulls are there but they stay in the high country till the rut is in full form.There are large area's with less bulls and pockets with good numbers the secrete is finding them.
That said our group settled on a good valley that leads into the takla drainage and its been a producer for us.All our Moose over the yrs have come from this valley and it holds bulls/cows yr in and yr out.Most of our bulls are shot within a few hundred yrd area,many time dropping 2 bulls within feet of the first kill...its a travel corridor.
Wolf preditation is a problem there tho.i can think of one logged off area that is literally full of moose bones scattered all over ,like an ubove ground cemetary.
There are many grizz in the area as well as its fairly remote and many suffer from a nasty disposition!

takla

Spy
10-26-2016, 03:05 PM
I loved the area got a nice bull 5 years back. Way too many bears if you go take two black bear tags, and shoot all the wolves you see, there are way too many & are hard on the moose.

takla1
10-26-2016, 03:20 PM
I loved the area got a nice bull 5 years back. Way too many bears if you go take two black bear tags, and shoot all the wolves you see, there are way too many & are hard on the moose.

that's cool Spy we share the same politics and moose country!
Ive got a spot there that hold some of the biggest blackbears you can imagine.weve taken a few well into the 5-600 lbs range!Our best area for moose finally grew up too high,we started hunting it the first yr it was logged so we had many great yrs in that spot,we hunt another spot not far from the first area now,its about 4 a yrs old cut.Ive shot one young 3 point bull one yr that dressed around 800 lbs....good genetics!

takla

Spy
10-26-2016, 03:58 PM
that's cool Spy we share the same politics and moose country!
Ive got a spot there that hold some of the biggest blackbears you can imagine.weve taken a few well into the 5-600 lbs range!Our best area for moose finally grew up too high,we started hunting it the first yr it was logged so we had many great yrs in that spot,we hunt another spot not far from the first area now,its about 4 a yrs old cut.Ive shot one young 3 point bull one yr that dressed around 800 lbs....good genetics!

takla
We sure are going too have to get together, black tail deer lucky moose up in Takla ect ect :-)

takla1
10-26-2016, 04:13 PM
We sure are going too have to get together, black tail deer lucky moose up in Takla ect ect :-)

yes and if we can trap V Potine we could use him to bring some of those big azs Bruins into shooting range up Takla way

takla

two-feet
10-26-2016, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the replies and info. I have hunted a few of these areas with good leh odds/ low density of moose. It can be a slog. But we usually end up with at least something to show for it. Always a pleasure to see new country.

takla1
10-26-2016, 07:39 PM
what area around Takla lk are you thinking about ventureing into?Bulkly house,takla landing,southwest arm?

two-feet
10-27-2016, 05:49 AM
what area around Takla lk are you thinking about ventureing into?Bulkly house,takla landing,southwest arm?

the southern section (southwest arm, natowite etc) is easy access from smithers , 3-4 hours i figure. Lots of lakes and swamps off the beaten path to hike and canoe. But the northern part of 7-27 is an area i have always wanted to go to. Bulkley house, driftwood river and up into bear lake.

takla1
10-27-2016, 07:23 AM
If you try to come thru from the smithers side there is a gate {locked} where it intersects with the leo-sakanichi road.I generally don't hunt up that side but have and know it well,there is a guide outfitter that does as well.All that country holds moose/griz/blackbear/deer.I generally hunt the east side of Takla up to bulkley.

takla

zurevins
10-27-2016, 08:36 AM
I was hunting the south-east section of 7-27 this year. Perhaps more moose were up high, but I would still have to say the population was very very low in this area. Fell fortunate to get the one good bull on the edge of 7-28.

takla1
10-27-2016, 09:18 AM
I was hunting the south-east section of 7-27 this year. Perhaps more moose were up high, but I would still have to say the population was very very low in this area. Fell fortunate to get the one good bull on the edge of 7-28.

thats great.what was the date of the kill?All my bull kills in that area started between the 25th of sept and rut was in full swing by 0ct 1.latest bull ive shot there was oct 8 as that was the timeing of our annual hunt when we got our draws

takla

zurevins
10-27-2016, 11:04 AM
October 2nd was the day we got the bull.

takla1
10-27-2016, 11:51 AM
October 2nd was the day we got the bull.

id say 80 % of our bulls were shot the 28th thru to the 2/3 of oct. All our bulls were intercepted moveing down into the valleys from the high country.If you get cold/snow conditions they will start to move down a bit earlier

takla

BigD_83
10-27-2016, 12:12 PM
This year was my first moose hunt, and we were in southwest 7-27. Arrived in the area late on Sept 25th, taking Leo Creek FSR as the barge across Babine doesn't run on weekends. Three days later, around 7:10am, we saw our first bull and cow, but lost him in the bush. Had to give up on that spot as a large group setup camp about 200m away. The next morning (Sep 29), we went back to a spot we thought we heard responses to our calls, but got no action. On the way back to camp we decided to check out a new location. 1km in on the logging road we ran across a rutting bull who had no qualms approaching us. I think we were lucky that we were downwind, and the sun was at our backs, low in the sky at 8:20. He came in to 25m or so before deciding he'd had enough of us, and got him as he started to turn away.

The previous evening we had run across a silver-backed grizzly about the same distance in from the main logging road, which was seeing plenty of traffic. Lots of grizz sign on the less frequently travelled spurs.

We saw moose hanging in camps, and signs of gutpiles just off of logging roads (eagles and crows feeding together, on my). Surprisingly, we didn't see much sign around the lakes we explored on foot/canoe.

Temperatures were very warm and close to uncomfortably so when working during the day, and getting to just below freezing at night.

fearless
10-27-2016, 08:36 PM
I had a moose draw for 7-27 this yr went up at the end of September rented a cabin at Takla Narrows great people great place to stay good rates excellent fishing, look at goats from the front porch. I seen a lot of different wildlife. I also put in for a different place every yr. just to see and learn a different area. I got a 6x6 bull elk the second day there and got a 42inch bull moose my 8th day seen 1 other bull moose and he was gone before I even had a chance only seen 6 cows and 4 calves the whole time lots a grouse and rabbits. I went in threw Ft ST James and up the Leo.

two-feet
10-28-2016, 08:12 PM
Right on guys lots of good info to chew on. Who knows where i will end up next year, but one of these days i will end up in that neck of the woods

Murder
07-23-2020, 06:51 PM
This thread has me all excited. Can't wait for my first moose trip to 7-27