PDA

View Full Version : Mule Deer Harrison East or Ross Lake?

coplin
10-25-2016, 09:33 PM
As title says Harrison East FSR past Cogburn Creek.
OR Ross lake FSR before Hope
Waste of time ?
Searching for a weekend F-around local

cheers

twoSevenO
10-26-2016, 12:06 AM
Harrison will offer more opportunity because you can drive further in. You used to be able to drive up the east side all the way and come out to Nahatlatch. Not sure if its still doable but lots of places to poke your head in that way. Having said that, both places see a lot of traffic and recreational vehicles so it's a tough call. I don't think either offers much for road hunting. If you're prepared to hike a ways, i would pick Harrison. Maybe i don't know Ross Lake area very well, but that jungle over there always seemed like a nightmare to hike through for me.

Just remember, by the time you get to Ross Lake you could be at the top of the Coquihalla .... just sayin'.

ruger#1
10-26-2016, 12:38 AM
Main thing is to get off the road. And get into some clear cuts. I have shot a few on the Westside. More leaves off the trees the better. Good luck on the grey ghosts. Make sure you check their head gear. Lots of spikes with two inch tines. That are hard to see with the naked eye.

coplin
10-26-2016, 12:01 PM
Main thing is to get off the road. And get into some clear cuts. I have shot a few on the Westside. More leaves off the trees the better. Good luck on the grey ghosts. Make sure you check their head gear. Lots of spikes with two inch tines. That are hard to see with the naked eye.
I'll have to check the regs in my truck. But
Isnt that MU just any bucks not 4 point?

ruger#1
10-26-2016, 12:06 PM
I'll have to check the regs in my truck. But
Isnt that MU just any bucks not 4 point? I didn't say anything about four point restrictions. Check the head gear. Some spikes look like does. And a spike is a buck.

coplin
10-26-2016, 12:13 PM
Ok thanks thats what im looking for a liitle spikey .just need freezer a little topped up.
Thx again. You busy friday��

ruger#1
10-26-2016, 12:51 PM
I work six graveyard shifts a week. I have shot many spike. Sometimes the ears hide them. I rattled a spike in one day. I was sure it was a doe. Then it ran up a hill and stood sideways. It was a spike. And down he went. Good luck and look for rubs on trees. Then you will know your in the right area.

coplin
10-26-2016, 01:22 PM
I work six graveyard shifts a week. I have shot many spike. Sometimes the ears hide them. I rattled a spike in one day. I was sure it was a doe. Then it ran up a hill and stood sideways. It was a spike. And down he went. Good luck and look for rubs on trees. Then you will know your in the right area.
Thx man . I never had much sucess with rattle but ill give it a go. I usually use estrus bleat call. Again thx for taking the time to detail things.
Cheers

caddisguy
10-26-2016, 03:12 PM
I didn't say anything about four point restrictions. Check the head gear. Some spikes look like does. And a spike is a buck.

Check species too. Region 2 whitetail population seems to be growing, but no season for them for whatever reason.

coplin
10-26-2016, 03:35 PM
Got it thx. Make sure he got big ears and a black tail :) Did not know whitetails in the area but then apparently white tail population is booming all over usa and can.

hoochie
10-26-2016, 04:00 PM
Check species too. Region 2 whitetail population seems to be growing, but no season for them for whatever reason.

I havent seen them down here. 2-18? 2-17?
maybe by the time I retire, ( 20yrs?) I wont have to drive up the coq to get them lol

caddisguy
10-26-2016, 05:06 PM
I havent seen them down here. 2-18? 2-17?
maybe by the time I retire, ( 20yrs?) I wont have to drive up the coq to get them lol

Whitetail sightings coming out of 2-2 and 2-3. I have trailcam videos of WT's the last couple years. This year a WT doe dropped a couple fawns. Very healthy looking.

Not sure about 2-17 and 2-18 but it's all pretty close... only a river bank or two and few farmer fields away. Heck there's Elk in Chilliwack/Abby now!!

Hopefully we get a Region 2 WT season so I can shoot first and ask questions later :D

coplin
10-26-2016, 05:20 PM
Apparently Elk North of Stave Lake but way back in a couple of valleys.
I d like to see for myself even if its just catch and release :)

Bigd74
10-27-2016, 09:05 PM
I got a what I thought was mulie up east Harrison last weekend. Have also been told could be black tail.
he was a spike. Got him just off the road after him and a doe crossed it. We hiked up and doe stayed on road side buck went in. But I got him.
was my first deer ever. Just started hunting this year.

ducktoller
10-27-2016, 11:01 PM
I got a what I thought was mulie up east Harrison last weekend. Have also been told could be black tail.
he was a spike. Got him just off the road after him and a doe crossed it. We hiked up and doe stayed on road side buck went in. But I got him.
was my first deer ever. Just started hunting this year.

Up harrison would likely be a bt. No matter as they are the same for licensing purposes.

Easiest tell is the tail

ruger#1
10-28-2016, 12:40 AM
Apparently Elk North of Stave Lake but way back in a couple of valleys.
I d like to see for myself even if its just catch and release :) They transplanted them there back in 1996. They are very good swimmers. So the Stave and Harrison would be easy for the elk.

Bigd74
10-28-2016, 08:37 AM
Tried to upload pic from my iPad but won't let me for some reason.