PDA

View Full Version : Elk valley road conditions

chinook7
10-24-2016, 08:14 AM
I was planning on taking the gravel elk valley road north of elkford in mid November. Could someone tell me what happens during times of a big snowfall there. Does that road get plowed? Is it usually still drivable with 4x4 ,need chains? Or is it just undrivable. I'm not asking to predict weather just a little insight on mid November conditions and drivability. Thanks for your time.

kootenaycarver
10-24-2016, 08:43 AM
You probably won't get far past Elkford, unless they are logging up that way, not regularly plowed. Snowmobile, snowshoes? Probably easier snowshoe access from Kananaskis on Alberta side if your just on a sight seeing trip.

j270wsm
10-24-2016, 04:37 PM
Last few years you could drive all the way to the elk lakes up until middle of December.

chinook7
10-24-2016, 07:22 PM
K thanks. I was wondering how much hunting access happens in mid November in that region. I was thinking of going there mid November. It would be a long haul if I had to turn around cuz my truck couldn't make it.

j270wsm
10-24-2016, 10:33 PM
White tails?? Way better places than north of elkford for white tails.

chinook7
10-25-2016, 10:37 AM
I was hoping to go after goats during the rut. Wanted to get a rough idea of history of access of that road during mid November.

goatdancer
10-25-2016, 04:48 PM
It can snow a ton up there. My buddy and I were up there quite a few years ago and woke up to the sound of snow bunnies rolling off the roof of our wall tent. By the time we managed to get our camp and gear loaded up and ready to go it had dumped at least 6 inches and snowed hard all the way back to civilization. We got out of there in time. Heard later that week that a bunch of camps further up the valley got stranded and had to get a ride out on snowmobiles. Apparently their trucks and trailers had to spend some time up the valley. Mother nature doesn't care if you get stuck. Be careful and good luck.

j270wsm
10-25-2016, 07:38 PM
2yrs ago I shot my goat on nov 20th(4-23B )I was 45km north of town, other than 6-8" of snow and one creek crossing the road was fine. Which zone is your draw for??

Looking_4_Jerky
10-25-2016, 08:15 PM
The only goat I've ever eaten was an early season (Sept 1) goat and it was fantastic, but I've heard even a starving dog would snub rut goat. Something to think about!!!

Fisher-Dude
10-25-2016, 08:58 PM
I was hoping to go after goats during the rut. Wanted to get a rough idea of history of access of that road during mid November.

I've seen a foot of snow up there on September 10th.

Consider November to be "variable conditions."

The biggest problem in November on a goat hunt will be day after day of fog, because it usually won't get warm enough to burn it off until late in the day, if it gets warm enough at all.

chinook7
10-26-2016, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the help. I'm not worried as much about fog or meat that doesn't taste good (it seems like it's always foggy there anyway). I was just concerened a bit of the potential of getting stuck on the road if it snowed big.

j270wsm
10-26-2016, 05:59 PM
2yrs ago I spent a considerable amount of time spotting for goats, I started near the end of sept and went up until nov 20 and I only had a few days where the fog didn't lift enought to spot for goats. 95%+ of the time there is a south wind in the elk valley so the fog gets blown out. But....every year is different. Send me a message when you get here and I'll help out where ever I can. Truck has a winch and I have lots of rope and even some tire chains.