PDA

View Full Version : Anyone miss a moose in August?

PressurePoint
10-23-2016, 10:09 PM
On my last day of hunting for the year...and empty freezer, pressures on to fill it. I head out to a well known spot in chetwynd for cow elk.

Well low and behold I see that wonderful black shadowy figure deep in some poplars. Maybe just maybe it isn't another cow and calf.

Raise the scope, and well it's a bull and oh look at that, it's a tri palm. Well I squeeze off a freshly hand loaded 180 grain Barnes out of the tikka 300winmag and he folded. I walk up to him and bask in the glory of the work that is required since I am by myself.

I look at the paddle and there is a partial healed bullet hole in the antler. If you are someone who took a shot at a tri palm and think you missed, well you didn't. Who ever took a shot during the early bull season when he was in velvet, I managed to finish the job for ya!!!

Spy
10-23-2016, 10:19 PM
On my last day of hunting for the year...and empty freezer, pressures on to fill it. I head out to a well known spot in chetwynd for cow elk.

Well low and behold I see that wonderful black shadowy figure deep in some poplars. Maybe just maybe it isn't another cow and calf.

Raise the scope, and well it's a bull and oh look at that, it's a tri palm. Well I squeeze off a freshly hand loaded 180 grain Barnes out of the tikka 300winmag and he folded. I walk up to him and bask in the glory of the work that is required since I am by myself.

I look at the paddle and there is a partial healed bullet hole in the antler. If you are someone who took a shot at a tri palm and think you missed, well you didn't. Who ever took a shot during the early bull season when he was in velvet, I managed to finish the job for ya!!!
Pictures otherwise it didn't happen ;-) Congrats on your bull :-)

shortrange
10-23-2016, 11:44 PM
Pictures otherwise it didn't happen ;-) Congrats on your bull :-)

Something like that happened to me last spring. I got a nice black bear and skinned him out and took the carcass to the butcher. We had blackie on a hook and the butcher showed me where the bear had a bullet hole in his pelvic bone. He figured it had been shot a year or two earlier and healed up. Weird. I felt sorry for the bear getting shot twice... Tasted okay though ;)

Bigdoggdon
10-24-2016, 06:46 PM
The first deer I ever shot only had 3 legs. Shot him in November. One of his front legs was gone, big fully healed scab below the shoulder and the bone sticking out to his knee was bleached white.

Surrey Boy
10-24-2016, 07:28 PM
Congratulations. Definitely mount that rack.

butthead
10-24-2016, 10:07 PM
lets see the photos