PDA

View Full Version : East Koot Elk outfitter

Jay2579
10-23-2016, 09:45 PM
I'm new to the scene and thankful for all the people that post on this board. Learned lots, lots more to learn.

To get to it, I am starting plans for a hunting trip with my dad and brother. My brother has been a life time hunter, but always in the east. Never in the west, never for elk.
As much as I would like to do a DIY, I would like for him to fill a tag. That being said, any advice on a good reputable outfitter/guide.
I live in the West Koots, happy to stay local, but thought going east might be to our advantage.

Thoughts...

ElliotMoose
10-24-2016, 12:59 PM
For EK take a peak at Sawtooth Outfitters, Grizzly Basin outfitters and Packhorse creek outfitters (I think they are still operating?) for starters. I know some guys through work from the states that have hunted with all of them. All 3 are in areas that produce elk. Just a heads up though, I don't know what kind of shape you guys are all in but these are physically demanding hunts. The mountains are steep, rugged and your body will be pushed to the limits. The guys I know are die hard hunters and athletes and they noted how hard they worked for their animals. All the more rewarding when you get your hands on that big 6 though

Seeadler
10-24-2016, 03:13 PM
Don't know your ages, but trying to find a guide your Dad's age is probably a good idea.

GoatGuy
10-24-2016, 03:17 PM
Head to the Peace country. Success rates in the EK aren't great.

Big nine used to offer packages for residents IIRC.

GoatGuy
10-24-2016, 03:33 PM
If you do stick with the EK make sure you ask what the success rate has been in the last 3 years - success rate, not "opportunity rate". Few ppl selling hunts on 95% opportunity rate, which can translate into 5 dead elk for 30+ hunters.

10-24-2016, 05:07 PM

this is HUGE ADVICE ......... WELL WORTH IT ....... also MULTIPLE SPECIES opportunity! Go North young man Go North!!!

CT

Jay2579
10-24-2016, 09:28 PM

Thanks, I will look in to that.

srupp
10-24-2016, 10:42 PM
Big 9 offers meat hunts at reduced prices..however they ARNT trophies per set. .meat hunts.see their webpage..the choice is yours If a trophy is seen to upgrade to trophy..meat hunts are shorter hunts. .check it out ..
Cheers
Steven