PDA

View Full Version : Okanagan Indian Band reservation

kiwivern
10-23-2016, 08:23 PM
Hi, a friend of mine mentioned that pretty much everything on the westside of Okanagan Lake near Vernon is Indian Land. Can someone point me in the direction of a map that shows the boundary or can you still hunt there?

Slinky Pickle
10-23-2016, 08:28 PM
Reserves will show up as Federal Crown Land in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqRXKLeNVBo

HarryToolips
10-23-2016, 09:18 PM
Should show what's Indian reserve on the back roads map book actually..

Buckmeister
10-23-2016, 09:23 PM
Your friend is right. From the head of the lake down to Parkers Cove is all reserve as far as I know.

boxhitch
10-24-2016, 02:04 AM
Regional District North Okanagan

http://www.rdno.ca/index.php/maps/communities/area-b

Click on the 'Westside zoning map', expand til you can read the print

olympia
10-24-2016, 12:43 PM
Your friend is right. From the head of the lake down to Parkers Cove is all reserve as far as I know.

Hypothetical question. If you accidentally ended up on indian land and got spotted, what would happen? Would they just ask us to leave? Charge us with trespassing? I have never hunted indian land so am curious what they do about it.

BgBlkDg
10-24-2016, 01:03 PM
Depends, some bands are far more peaceful, cooperative and friendly than some others and this is the case with individuals as well.

Remember that IRs ARE private land, they own them and have a right to control access as they choose, much like one's own home should be here in Canada. It is non-productive and perhaps would result in confiscation of guns, vehicles and so on should a person attempt to hunt on or challenge their hegemony on their lands.

I have witnessed a very sad and eventually self-destructive change in attitudes among many aboriginals, especially younger ones, but, have also interacted with others in friendship and mutual respect I think that all people in Canada, should be treated equally, but, the various "opinion makers" and power brokers do not seem to agree.

All in all, if I accidently trespassed on aboriginal lands as defined by government laws and statutes, I would leave forthwith as soon as I became aware of my error. I would peacefully go if told to by an aboriginal and not worry too much about any real violence or even credible threats.

In short, be polite to them and respect their legal rights and things should go well. If, the very rare dickhead trys something, fight back and fight to win. BTDT several times and after roughly six decades interacting with aboriginals, I have no major issues with them except I do not agree with "special rights" for anyone or will I accept threats of "war" from little blowhards like some of the "chiefs".

Buckmeister
10-24-2016, 09:54 PM
I have had the gracious opportunity and privilege to be invited to hunt on our local reserve in the past. The reserve here holds some pretty nice animals. While on our hunt we crossed a person who was trespassing. He was a non native person who was hired by the band to do some work on the reserve as a private contractor, but he took his "access" privilege a little too far. He was told politely yet sternly that he wasn't to be there hunting without permission. The band member I was with, who also holds a position of influence, proceeded to contact the person who was overseeing this contractor and told them to communicate clearly to this contractor what they were and were not allowed to do.

Hose Dragger
10-25-2016, 06:25 AM
Contact the band prior and ask the lands department for permission to hunt on the land. A lot of times, just asking for permission is appreciated and taken as a sign of respect. If you communicate via email, print it off and keep it with you. I have done this successfully in the past

Looking_4_Jerky
10-25-2016, 07:24 AM
Hose Dragger is on the right track, but I wouldn't be too hopeful. It's worth asking, but fewer animals on reserve just means that their members would have to go further afield to get theirs. I would almost be surprised if they said yes. If you happen to know a member who can vouch for you, that might go a long way.

As for your hypothetical question, I'm guessing you could expect a range of actions, from a polite request leave to gunshots and anywhere in between, with verbal threats and possibly physical assault being the more likely actions depending on who finds you and at what time of day. Problem is, even if you were to get assaulted in any way while out there, they would be in the clear. It would be like you beating some guy if you find him in your back yard.

RadHimself
10-26-2016, 06:18 PM
Theres no animals out on westside road... Go out to kamloops

RBH
10-26-2016, 09:14 PM
[QUOTE=BgBlkDg;1833855] Times 2 to BgBlkDg's comments. I would add that if you accidentally find yourself hunting on IR land, it would be appropriate to unload your gun and take the clip out etc. so that if you are found you can evidence that you are not actively hunting and are leaving the property. This is about respecting other people's property rights. It's not like there isn't lots of crown land to hunt in BC, a hunting paradise if ever there was one.

Looking_4_Jerky
10-26-2016, 11:44 PM
Theres no animals out on westside road... Go out to kamloops
Oh, you didn't hear? The Kami deer went north to R5 and south to R2. They didn't like the smell of the pulp mill. Can't say I blame them...