PDA

View Full Version : Elk hunting on the Tuchodi River

wapiti
06-28-2007, 11:07 PM
Hi all!!

Great site here...a great resource of knowledge! My wife and I will be going elk hunting in mid August on the Tuchodi River with Riverjet Adventures. We put in for a grizzly tag also, but we'll see how the LEH goes on that...would greatly appreciate any info you could give me on the hunting there at that time of the year. Is it fairly open country? I am new to elk hunting (have chased red deer in New Zealand but never elk)...should we expect the critters to be up high at that time of the year?

hunter1947
06-29-2007, 04:26 AM
I have never hunted up in that area ,but i can tell you something about elk ,they need lots of water and food ,they can be found almost anywere. Look for tracks ,rubs and wollows ,if you find this sign ,then they are there. Lern how to bugle and cow call ,this will give you an advantage big time. Do lots of set ups for calling elk. Good luck on your trip http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

thatskindafunny
06-29-2007, 06:05 AM
Good luck on your elk. Be nice if you could post some pic's of those New Zealand Red Deer. Have only seen 1 pic and it was huge.

StoneChaser
06-29-2007, 06:05 AM
There are so many elk up there that they can be found at all elevations. I saw elk up high in the rocks with the sheep, mid elevation in the hanging valleys, down on the main Tuchodi, and everywhere in between.

The country is mixed bag, as there are certainly some good open slopes, and some excellent open grassy aspen stands.

That being said, it also has its share of jungle (where I always manage to meet the Grizz).

I'd start low along the river (why pack one for miles if you don't have to) and work up in elevation from there. If it's super warm out, or super buggy then go high and basically hunt'em like you're looking for sheep on the breezy slopes.

You'll have no probem finding an elk...grizz are very plentiful too!

They were bugeling steadily when we were there mid August...not super intense behaviour, but callable for sure.

There are some on here with scads of Tuchodi elk hunting experience, hopefully they'll chime in.

Sounds like an excellent trip!

Good luck, and be sure to post pics!

StoneChaser

tuchodi
06-29-2007, 07:42 AM
Hi wapiti welcome to the site. Guy has some great hunting spots that he will drop you off at. A lot of the hills are grassy on the south facing slops and very heavy timber on the north facing slops. At that time of the year the elk will usually be a little higher and spend a lot of time in the heavy timber where it is cooler. They come out early in the morning and late in the evening to eat on the grassy hills but if you are hiking around during the day you will run into them all over. If it has been a dry year they will have to come down to the river for water otherwize there is quite a few water supplies up on the hills so they do not need to come down for water at the river. Bugling at that time of the year will work but most of the time they will answer but not always come to the call as the cows are not in heat yet so when they answer you may have to go after them. You will be up there when it is 3 point or better and maybe even when the cows are open so you should have good luck depending on what you are looking for. If you are only looking for a 6 point or better be advised that there are a lot of big elk that are missing one of their eye guards and looking at the top of the rack they look like a 6 point, but only under closer examination will you see that they are only a 5 pointer. We have shot a lot of large 5 pointers over the years trying to get rid of the BAD GENE POOL but now there are getting to be to many big breeding bulls that are passing on the abnormality. The weather at that time can get quite warm so take somthing to hang your meat in. We have had the meat tents that are advertized in the hunting regs and are made in Armstrong and that is one of the best purchases we ever made, they are really lite and keeps all the bugs out and rain off. You will have a great trip as it is butifull country.

bearheart
06-29-2007, 08:33 AM
I've hunted sheep there once. Please be alert , when I was there a few years ago there were grizzly bears all over the place. The trail we hiked up followed a creek for quite a way. The creek valley was full of berry bushes. Lots of fresh grizzly piles, close quarters and noisy creek, talk about TENSE. My buddy decided since it was my idea to be there it was only fair I walk point coming and going. BE careful, lots of elk by the way.

Rock Doctor
06-29-2007, 10:22 AM
Hey wapiti, You will have a great time up the Tuchodi, plenty of animals in that part of the country. I like to get one hill back from the river to get away from the crouds, lots of guys like to stick close to the water.
If your wife plans to stay in camp at all, make sure you bring a camp gun, bears in camp are common. Some guys think it's a myth, but I'm here to tell you that Grizzly bears will come to the sound of a gun shot, if you shoot at anything, keep your eyes open. Elk will call at that time of yr, but I have never had any luck getting them to come in, you will have to go to them. The animals will be at all elevations, but if it's hot out look to the thick timber during the day, and the edges of the burns in the mornings and evenings. I feel that most guys call too much, but that is just my opinion.
Here are a few clips you might want to check out: Click on my user name, or more from this user, on youtube if you want to see more Tuchodi clips, I have a few more on there.

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/?action=view&current=Elktrail.flv
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyMxphZdJKw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJu06LBWbb8
http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/?action=view&current=StrawberriesalongtheTuchodi.flv

wapiti
06-29-2007, 06:01 PM
I will try to get some pics for you of NZ reds...the ones I got were not huge. A lot of the big ones now are coming out of private lands where the animals are farmed and live behind fences. There is a huge market for wild deer and many guys still shoot wild deer out of choppers to sell to the German market. So the big boys are getting pretty thin out in the wild!

wapiti
06-29-2007, 06:06 PM
Many thanks to all for the info-it will really help us focus our search for that "first elk" when we are up there! :)