PDA

View Full Version : seizure query

dasnake
10-22-2016, 12:28 PM
I just got my bcwf email, they referred to a Thanksgiving roadblock at cache creek, I understand the game seized, but they seized 5 firearms, why and how or how and why. I travel all three main inroads to b.c. interior, have been stopped, and never had a query about my guns, just my game.

tigrr
10-22-2016, 12:43 PM
Maybe they were loaded while driving or it insures they show up for the fine payment to get back the gun.

hoochie
10-22-2016, 12:44 PM
I read it, but have deleted it.
You are asking why they seized firearms? I dont think they disclosed why. I didnt see anything that said what type of firearms were seized either. Reasons could be numerous.

Fella
10-22-2016, 12:46 PM
Could have been loaded, owner might not have been licensed etc.

Ozone
10-22-2016, 12:52 PM
If caught poaching, they can take all including the vehicle used I believe.

Gun Dog
10-22-2016, 01:15 PM
When we went through there was a firearms check. I had to take out every rifle and show that it was unloaded. No PAL checks; just hunting license checks.

mpotzold
10-22-2016, 02:25 PM
I just got my bcwf email, they referred to a Thanksgiving roadblock at cache creek, I understand the game seized, but they seized 5 firearms, why and how or how and why. I travel all three main inroads to b.c. interior, have been stopped, and never had a query about my guns, just my game.

In BC it’s UNLAWFUL

To discharge, carry or have in possession a firearm containing live ammunition in its breech or in its magazine attached to the firearm, in or on a railway car, motor vehicle, sleigh, aircraft, bicycle or other conveyance

Checking for loaded weapons is now routine for CO's which it should be. We have been stopped and checked more than a few times but have always been legal. Was even stopped while driving the backroads. There would be no time to unload.
Back in the old days we had to report if successful at CC but there never was a gun check.
My guess was that the cartridge/s was/were in the magazine.

dasnake
10-22-2016, 04:22 PM
Thanks all, I have had f&g stop me on my quad, had to prove guns were unloaded, had them come into camp and had to prove unloaded there also, no problem ever, I'm not a naive person but I'm lost in the idea of highway driving from point to point with a loaded firearm and not expecting a problem around the corner. Reading the reg about the bicycle made me laugh, a Co came to camp and told us of a drunk on a fsr with a loaded rifle riding his bicycle, they tried to get him to unload and go on his way but he started yapping about his rights and they had no jurisdiction over his bike, they finally had enough, seized his bike, his rifle and wrote him up for 250.00, to bad so sad, it just proves that alcohol is the great equalizer.

adriaticum
10-22-2016, 04:35 PM
They don't query everyone for everything.
First they look at you and then get ideas about what to ask you about.

Xenomorph
10-22-2016, 05:01 PM
They don't query everyone for everything.
First they look at you and then get ideas about what to ask you about.

Right on there. Can and had a looong conversation about everything else BUT guns and hunting. But then again never before, nor since have I ever seen two beautiful COs at the same time in the middle of nowhere, nor could I miss the opportunity to strike a conversation.

RadHimself
10-22-2016, 05:09 PM
they usually dont seize a firearm if it is found to have ammo in the mag

it'd have to be an offence worse then that... more then likely a prohibited weapon of some kind

first thing coming to mind being pistols

mpotzold
10-22-2016, 05:39 PM
they usually dont seize a firearm if it is found to have ammo in the mag

it'd have to be an offence worse then that... more then likely a prohibited weapon of some kind

first thing coming to mind being pistols

I specifically asked about that & was told that cartridge/s in the gun magazine constitutes a loaded weapon.

If they usually don't they should!

hoochie
10-22-2016, 05:42 PM
lol
Ive seen a CO truck once or twice, never talked to one, never seen 2 together. Never been stopped, questioned or inspected..EVER.

Now you tell me they travel in pairs and are hotties?
chaaa.. right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Oac1y__jY

anethema
10-23-2016, 10:58 AM
I specifically asked about that & was told that cartridge/s in the gun magazine constitutes a loaded weapon.

The law is very clear that unless the magazine is in the rifle the gun is considered to be unloaded even if the detatched mag is loaded.

mpotzold
10-23-2016, 02:58 PM
The law is very clear that unless the magazine is in the rifle the gun is considered to be unloaded even if the detatched mag is loaded.

I'm aware of that. Obviously I was thinking abut the magazine attached to the gun or the loading tube having one or more cartridges in it.

Lastcar
10-23-2016, 03:09 PM
I'm aware of that. Obviously I was thinking abut the magazine attached to the gun or the loading tube having one or more cartridges in it.

I think what you are saying is one chambered?

That is what I took from it.

That if you left the mag in but no round was chambered they wouldn't seize the rifle.

Just a ticket and fine, one in the pipe probably means one less rifle in the safe when you get home.

I am sure there must be guys on here with stories of someone they know who put a hole through the roof of their truck. Hopefully, that is all they did.

monasheemountainman
10-23-2016, 03:35 PM
Thanks all, I have had f&g stop me on my quad, had to prove guns were unloaded, had them come into camp and had to prove unloaded there also, no problem ever, I'm not a naive person but I'm lost in the idea of highway driving from point to point with a loaded firearm and not expecting a problem around the corner. Reading the reg about the bicycle made me laugh, a Co came to camp and told us of a drunk on a fsr with a loaded rifle riding his bicycle, they tried to get him to unload and go on his way but he started yapping about his rights and they had no jurisdiction over his bike, they finally had enough, seized his bike, his rifle and wrote him up for 250.00, to bad so sad, it just proves that alcohol is the great equalizer.

I'd tell them to frigg off if they wanted to check them at camp. Since when is it illegal to have a loaded gun at camp?

fuzzy 63
10-23-2016, 05:15 PM
i was stopped and checked while riding my mountain bike out in the pitt polder years ago on the dyke going goose hunting . Co asked me to break open my shotgun and prove nothing in chamber . I was a bit taken back by the request mostly because my thoughts were '' what kind of idiot would ride a bike with a loaded gun with only the safety on for a failsafe '' . He was happy that I was safe in his eyes . I don't think for a second that I thought I Could be breaking the law , just my own enforced laws of self preservation .

Jarrett
10-23-2016, 06:53 PM
All of the officers working this game check were first class - including the ones you question below... they are real... 8)

lol
Ive seen a CO truck once or twice, never talked to one, never seen 2 together. Never been stopped, questioned or inspected..EVER.

Now you tell me they travel in pairs and are hotties?
chaaa.. right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Oac1y__jY

coyotebc
10-23-2016, 07:48 PM
Years ago they had a road block just outside of Osoyoos
Our rifles were in hard cases in the back of the suv under our hunting gear.
They made us pull over to the side of the road, unload all our gear in the back, unlock the gun cases so that they could verify that they were unloaded
It took us about 45 to 60 minutes to unload the reload everything in the Blazer

Gateholio
10-23-2016, 08:21 PM
The federal and provincial laws regarding transporting loaded firearms is clear-it's illegal to have the chamber or the magazine attached to a firearm loaded during vehicular transport.

The laws were crafted to promote "safety" as some hunters shot themselves or their hunting partners in a vehicle, but the law is one of those "protect me from myself" laws that we really don't need. Transporting a loaded firearm in a vehicle can be done very safely, and is done safely every day, all over the world.

But the law is the law, and it's clear. Dedicated road hunters are able to snap a magazine into their rifle, or jam a cartridge into the magazine box rather quickly, so it's not a true hindrance to fast shooting at an animal you bump into on a FSR.

I just wish we could be treated as "grown ups" as firearm safety is pretty straightforward, in or out of a vehicle.

Gateholio
10-23-2016, 08:47 PM
Years ago they had a road block just outside of Osoyoos
Our rifles were in hard cases in the back of the suv under our hunting gear.
They made us pull over to the side of the road, unload all our gear in the back, unlock the gun cases so that they could verify that they were unloaded
It took us about 45 to 60 minutes to unload the reload everything in the Blazer

I stopped on a (not busy) paved road to take a piss as I had been traveling a long time and been drinking lots of water.

As I am finishing pissing an RCMP officer pulls up (my bad luck) and and I go talk to him. Says to go back and sit in my truck. I comply of course. He come's up and asks me if I've been drinking since most of the people he sees pissing on this road are drinking beer, but I assure him I'm sober, and going hunting.

He asks if he can inspect my rifle and if unloaded and if it's registered "because it's law that it has to be registered" (it was during the dark days of the LGR) I say it's empty in a a case, it's registered since I bought it during the LGR but it's BURIED beneath gear.

He's like....well, whatever - you check out clean, neither of us want to spend half an hour digging out your rifle. Where you heading? Here check out this map. it might be helpful. You are going solo? Ok, you have a SAT phone. Here is my number if you get in a jam and need help, I may be able to help respond faster than just a 911 call, so call me too, ok?

All depends on who you deal with and what they are prioritizing that day

Gateholio
10-23-2016, 09:28 PM

If someone commits a blatant poaching crime, they often seize their firearm.

Philcott
10-24-2016, 09:37 AM
We travel from the island for our annual hunt. Since we are in a single cab pickup and we need to take the ferry I always packed the rifles fairly deep into the load so they would be safe from prying eyes on the ferry. I packed the guns this way for both the trip up and the trip home. One year we were stopped at a game check and asked to show the rifles. It took quite a while to untarp, and unload to the point I could get the firearms out and inspected. I pack the truck differently now for easier access but spend more time babysitting the truck on the ferry.

squamishhunter
10-24-2016, 10:13 AM
Nothing in the chamber should constitute unloaded.

bigredchev
10-24-2016, 10:35 AM
Probley restricted. It's crazy to hear how many people take their AR or pistol into the bush

stan
10-24-2016, 10:51 AM
Should be illegal to randomly search with no intel that any crimes are or have been committed.you know Mabey it is without warrant?

Slug Slayer
10-24-2016, 11:33 AM
The laws were crafted to promote "safety"

False. They are deliberately written to promote ambiguity so that no matter what you're always in violation of some sort.

Gateholio
10-24-2016, 11:50 AM
False. They are deliberately written to promote ambiguity so that no matter what you're always in violation of some sort.

I guess that went right over your head :)

Xenomorph
10-24-2016, 11:57 AM
I guess that went right over your head :)

Ssswoooosh!

Gateholio
10-24-2016, 11:59 AM
Probley restricted. It's crazy to hear how many people take their AR or pistol into the bush

I remember when I was a kid, and guys would take their AR's out when they went camping to have some fun shooting. We've lost so much freedom in the past few decades. At least the Liberals that wrote the gun laws were stupid and specifically restricted AR's instead of all semi auto rifles, so we have a great selection of NR semi auto rifles these days.

Lastcar
10-24-2016, 12:19 PM
Should be illegal to randomly search with no intel that any crimes are or have been committed.you know Mabey it is without warrant?

This is my far from any legal training or knowledge perspective. But how I would see it if I was stopped and asked.

Technically they are asking to see them and you'd have a choice to say no. Then the warrant process would be needed.

If you have no reason to think you've broken any laws or put yourself in a position to be perceived to have, then I see no harm.

I'd rather not have to, and feel the situation Gatehouse described is how most stops should go.

This only how it assume it works and how I'd react if I was stopped. If things seemed to be getting a bit "weird" I'd have to shift gears and decide how to react then.

But a simple check that seems to have no intent to go beyond on that, I'd say "fill your boots and thanks for protecting our wildlife."

squamishhunter
10-24-2016, 12:29 PM

I can take my .50 anywhere but not a .22 revolver.

It has nothing to do with safety. I'd never call in about someone shooting restricteds. No more dangerous.

Mosin
10-24-2016, 12:33 PM
Right on there. Can and had a looong conversation about everything else BUT guns and hunting. But then again never before, nor since have I ever seen two beautiful COs at the same time in the middle of nowhere, nor could I miss the opportunity to strike a conversation.

Did you ask him for coffee? Surely this story ended happily lol

Mosin
10-24-2016, 12:37 PM

Shouldnt you be asking them and not us?

stan
10-24-2016, 12:47 PM
I can take my .50 anywhere but not a .22 revolver.

It has nothing to do with safety. I'd never call in about someone shooting restricteds. No more dangerous.
Probably not for long,unfortunately

Xenomorph
10-24-2016, 01:13 PM
Did you ask him for coffee? Surely this story ended happily lol

They were on the job and both ladies were beautiful enough to have some wine over dinner with, screw the coffee; maybe another time, another life. Definitely one of the highlights of my Cariboo trip.

DarekG
10-24-2016, 01:26 PM
So wait, tell me if I'm understanding this correctly.
If I have a detachable mag, loaded in my pocket while in the vehicle - That is not allowed?

BigD_83
10-24-2016, 01:38 PM
If I have a detachable mag, loaded in my pocket while in the vehicle - That is not allowed?

That is legal. However, it would be illegal to have the same loaded magazine attached to the firearm in the situation you describe.

Gateholio
10-24-2016, 01:38 PM

perfectly legal

sawmill
10-24-2016, 02:22 PM
Nothing in the chamber should constitute unloaded.

Get out much? Nothing in the chamber or mag or inserted clip. THAT`S unloaded. No F`ing bullets in the fire arm. Period.

sawmill
10-24-2016, 02:27 PM
I`ve read through this thread and I am amazed at the stupidity of half the posts. You can`t carry a loaded gun in the vehicle. What`s so hard about that? Christ, if you can`t figure that shit out then go buy squirt guns.......I See Stupid People.................

stan
10-24-2016, 03:07 PM
It's pretty simple the law requiring guns to be unloaded in a vehicle,I just am not a fan of Being searched just because I was driving down the highway.my question is it legal to spread your gear all over the Tarmac without your consent or a in place search warrant?

Xenomorph
10-24-2016, 03:19 PM
I`ve read through this thread and I am amazed at the stupidity of half the posts. You can`t carry a loaded gun in the vehicle. What`s so hard about that? Christ, if you can`t figure that shit out then go buy squirt guns.......I See Stupid People.................

You crack me up with your relentless honesty, keep it up.

Gateholio
10-24-2016, 05:27 PM
Get out much? Nothing in the chamber or mag or inserted clip. THAT`S unloaded. No F`ing bullets in the fire arm. Period.

Settle down.

I'm sure he knows what the law says, he is saying what he feels the law should actually be.

coyotebc
10-24-2016, 06:49 PM
This is my far from any legal training or knowledge perspective. But how I would see it if I was stopped and asked.

Technically they are asking to see them and you'd have a choice to say no. Then the warrant process would be needed.

If you have no reason to think you've broken any laws or put yourself in a position to be perceived to have, then I see no harm.

I'd rather not have to, and feel the situation Gatehouse described is how most stops should go.

This only how it assume it works and how I'd react if I was stopped. If things seemed to be getting a bit "weird" I'd have to shift gears and decide how to react then.

But a simple check that seems to have no intent to go beyond on that, I'd say "fill your boots and thanks for protecting our wildlife."
Well it is illegal to make a false statement to a peace officer

Here in BC it is also illegal to make hidden compartments in your vehicle to hide/store firearms

Bigdoggdon
10-24-2016, 07:19 PM
I saw this video on youtube, some guy in the states pulled up to one of those California "fruit inspections". The Officer asked him if he had any fruits or vegitables in the car and rather than answer the questions he just kept repeating "Are you detaining me?" until they let him go. Not sure if that would fly here but it would be a loophole against the false statement law.

squamishhunter
10-24-2016, 07:20 PM

That's what it should be. Relax.

You think the PAL system is good? How about firearms education course instead, no licensing.

stan
10-24-2016, 07:37 PM
Well it is illegal to make a false statement to a peace officer

Here in BC it is also illegal to make hidden compartments in your vehicle to hide/store firearms
Not zayin to lie ,just wondering what a guys civil rights are

Gateholio
10-24-2016, 07:46 PM
You don't have to speak to police if you don't want to, but they can search your vehicle if they have reason to. Like if they see a gun case they will assume there is a gun in it and can ask to check if it's unloaded and if you have a PAL.

stan
10-24-2016, 07:49 PM
You sure bout that ? What about ones home?

scoutlt1
10-24-2016, 07:57 PM

http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/96145_01

Section 4 subsection (b)

Lastcar
10-24-2016, 08:18 PM

Look Matlock, this could go on for 38 pages with what ifs...

Assuming you are not trolling...

You decide what to do when you get in the situation. You'd be 8 ways to nuts to rely on anything from a forum when it comes to the law.

If you'd like to be prepared for that situation reach out to a lawyer who can explain to you what your options are and what you can expect if you act on any of those options.

Quince
10-24-2016, 10:49 PM
Stopped by co outside merrit on side trip home, highway was eff'd. Had rifle in passanger seat, mag on dash, asked me to open bolt.. No round in chamber. Asked to see other firearms, no prob. Open 1st case, saw i had a trigger lock on it. Told me dont bother pulling anything else out your ok, good luck hunting.
Hunting partners argue with me all the time about putting locks on. Saved me from unpacking my truck once was totally worth it.

Gateholio
10-25-2016, 12:57 AM

You don't have to let anyone in to your home, but police will come in uninvited with a warrant or if they think something bad is going down.

You should do some research on searches in Canada and your rights, I'm just speaking very generally.

sawmill
10-25-2016, 06:01 AM
Settle down.

I'm sure he knows what the law says, he is saying what he feels the law should actually be.

Sorry Gate, I`m just sick of guys trying to get around the laws. If you do things right then you have no worries. If you try to scam rifle rules or bag limits or point restrictions then you should get slapped. It`s really simple, if you value your hunting time then don`t mess it up.

Philcott
10-25-2016, 07:17 AM
I have a somewhat related question.

Along with my PAL I received a paper describing restrictions such as where I can take the firearms (these are for the restricted firearms). If I'm out on a hunting trip, obviously without the restricted firearms, am I required to carry that paper with me?

Xenomorph
10-25-2016, 08:05 AM
I have a somewhat related question.

Along with my PAL I received a paper describing restrictions such as where I can take the firearms (these are for the restricted firearms). If I'm out on a hunting trip, obviously without the restricted firearms, am I required to carry that paper with me?

No, you do not.

Xenomorph
10-25-2016, 08:08 AM
Stopped by co outside merrit on side trip home, highway was eff'd. Had rifle in passanger seat, mag on dash, asked me to open bolt.. No round in chamber. Asked to see other firearms, no prob. Open 1st case, saw i had a trigger lock on it. Told me dont bother pulling anything else out your ok, good luck hunting.
Hunting partners argue with me all the time about putting locks on. Saved me from unpacking my truck once was totally worth it.

That or carry the bolt of the rifles in one of those little handgun cases. You can slap a padlock on it if you think you're leaving the car. Plus, better for insurance purposes too, if they break and steal your guns, you still got your bolts.

longrifle
10-25-2016, 08:09 AM
Well, back to the original question, firearm licensing issues I would guess...

'rifle

coyotebc
10-26-2016, 05:50 PM
Sorry Gate, I`m just sick of guys trying to get around the laws. If you do things right then you have no worries. If you try to scam rifle rules or bag limits or point restrictions then you should get slapped. It`s really simple, if you value your hunting time then don`t mess it up.
Hate to argue the point, but that isn't always the case

On a hunting note one time I spent close to $1000 to fight an $87 ticket (I think that was the total), I wasn't doing anything wrong but the Co didn't care
I fought it on principle as I didn't want it on my record
According to friends and family that lived in the area, this Co had a reputation of fining hunters/fishers who lived out of town, he knew most people would just pay the fine.

The court clerk that I talked to when I phoned to get the court date set, pretty much confirmed this without saying so.
The judge on the other hand was quite clear on his thoughts when he found us not guilty

RadHimself
10-26-2016, 06:03 PM
Your not required to have a lock if its in your possesion

your also allowed to have a 10 round mag if its a bolt gun....

i had a young female officer give me the gears about my firearm... Though it was unloaded and in a soft case in my back seat. Asked my why the bolt was in the gun and it was closed... "It could be loaded, it needs to be locked open" you better get your facts straight miss, i dont know many people that store their bolt actions with the firing pin not released... If ud look at the back of the bolt, u'll notice that the red cocking indicater is not visibile... Its not ready to go, and it doesnt need to be locked as long as its in my posesion... Although at this moment iam no longer in my vehicle, and u are holding my rifle.. But before we go any farther, im going to request that we get another officer here... "Oh dont you worry he'll be right here" proceeds to rake me over the coals. Male officer shows up, we have a 5 min chat about 30/06's she apologized for getting off on the wrong foot and they let me go.... Usually when u ask for their badge # and ask to speak to a different officer... If they try to pull the high and mighty routine, they back off and let u go

Gateholio
10-26-2016, 06:19 PM
Just download the RCMP pamphlet and highlight the NR firearm transport rules. Keep in glove box.

Squamch
10-27-2016, 06:44 AM
Yep, pick up a few copies of the pamphlet at the gun show. One for the ammo box, one for the glovebox, and one to hand out as educational materials.

okas
10-27-2016, 10:02 AM
ha ha:-P i got a fine for loaded firearm as in camp the gun was in the jetboat parked in camp only 175$ he asked me why i was :smile: and joking about it .

goatdancer
10-27-2016, 03:41 PM
ha ha:-P i got a fine for loaded firearm as in camp the gun was in the jetboat parked in camp only 175$ he asked me why i was :smile: and joking about it .

You have to have control of the firearm in order to have it loaded. Just like at home, you can't just leave it unattended while it's loaded.