PDA

View Full Version : Someone else's tree stand...

Jay2579
10-22-2016, 10:21 AM
While scouting an area with a friend, we came across an old hunt camp. It was clear that it had not been used in a while (I'm guessing at least 2 to 3 years)

Below the camp a few hundred meters, we found a permanent tree stand that had been built. Likely of the same era as the camp. Again, looked as though it had not been used for some time.

What do you guys and gals think of the ethicacy of using this set up for hunting?

Ruffed
10-22-2016, 10:51 AM
If it's public land, it's public land. I would not hesitate to use it. I would want to make sure it was safe first, if it hasn't been used in a few years. Go over all the joints just to make sure it is safe. For me, if i was sitting in it, and the owner came, I would remove myself from the stand and the area. It's not worth any sort of confrontation. Others will chime in I'm sure, but that's what I would do.......

Bobfl
10-22-2016, 10:56 AM
I would also agree with ruffed, if hunter whom built stand comes to use it, leave and give him his stand

buckshot
10-22-2016, 11:02 AM
If it's public land, it's public land. I would not hesitate to use it. I would want to make sure it was safe first, if it hasn't been used in a few years. Go over all the joints just to make sure it is safe. For me, if i was sitting in it, and the owner came, I would remove myself from the stand and the area. It's not worth any sort of confrontation. Others will chime in I'm sure, but that's what I would do.......
Exactly what I would do also. I have come across tree stands while hunting. I have tried them out if it looked like they weren't active. No problem with that on crown land.

boxhitch
10-22-2016, 11:03 AM
A fresh stand , maybe/probably would give it up , depending on the attitude.
An old dated stand, not a chance
Was at a stand/blind once and the 'owner' came and wanted it. Funny, he knew less about when it was built than I did.

BigfishCanada
10-22-2016, 03:11 PM
I have a few stands in the hills around my places, be safe and use em, but fixem also lol

Jay2579
10-22-2016, 03:15 PM
You guys all said what I was kind of thinking. Thanks for the feedback.

Now let's just hope it's in the right place!

Big Lew
10-22-2016, 04:44 PM
I once came upon an old permanent tree platform east of Oyama Lake that was about 10ft square
overlooking a sloping park-like vista where I knew deer moved through. After checking it out, I'm
not sure if it was intended for hunting, or if someone was considering building an elevated cabin,
it was built so well. Both the easily accessed logging road and the structure hadn't been used for
several years. Maybe it was to be used for both, who knows. I was bow hunting so it wasn't ideal,
but I hunted the area and was successful anyway.

Rob Chipman
10-22-2016, 05:14 PM
There's a really old stand where I hunt sometimes. It's got a mason jar wired to it with a note saying "Be careful of the cow moose. Too many are being shot. That isn't why we built this thing". It's written on the back of a calendar page from...1963!

Use it. If the guy who built it comes by, thank him and move along.

medic11
10-22-2016, 05:32 PM
I would also use the stand until the owner came along. However, if I was first in the area that day, i'm not so sure I would be leaving. If he (owner) was second in, I think he should be the one finding a new area for the day. It's public land and I was in the area first. What do you think? (assuming the tree stand is old and looking like it hasn't been used in awhile)

358mag
10-22-2016, 05:41 PM
Use it don't abuse it , if the builder comes along thank him and move on .
Don't be like some dick heads that go around with chain saws and cut down tree stands .

dakoda62
10-22-2016, 06:04 PM
If its built i would use it, if safe, store bought, not a chance that i would use it

BStrachan
10-22-2016, 08:43 PM
I would use the stand and if someone came along stating that was their stand. Apologize and move on.

M.Dean
10-22-2016, 08:49 PM
Leave it like you found it, or better, and don't take a crap in it like I've heard being done before, and your good to go! If the guy happens along, tell'em Moldy Marv said it was OK, so go pound sand!!!

Linksman313
10-22-2016, 08:51 PM
I have a few stands in the hills around my places, be safe and use em, but fixem also lol
X2 100% Agree with Bigfish here.

Bowzone_Mikey
10-22-2016, 10:18 PM

Yup ... what he said

Only because it was a permanant structure ... as a permenant structure I would think that if the builder came along he would leave you alone ... as its logical to think that if you build on public land expect the public to use it unless he put his name and contact info on it

if were a hang on stand i wouldnt but thats just me

rides bike to work
10-23-2016, 12:12 AM
I sat I a real nice ground blind that some one built once then I noticed some one wrote good bye right above the opening. Kind of creeped me out and couldn't get comfortable so I left

bigredchev
10-23-2016, 07:47 AM
I always thought it would be cool to leave a note on a stand to see who's been in that stand previous. Find out their luck ,intended species and date.

Elk-Aholic
10-23-2016, 11:30 PM
If someone has gone to the effort to pack a stand or ground blind into a spot, I would not use it and would move elsewhere. It's not my stand, I did not buy, I do not own it, it's not mine. Yes they don't own the spot (crown land assuming), and I don't want to gut pile hunt someone's setup and hardwork. Tip my hat and move on. Lots of country out there, actually in BC we have tons for me to find where someone isn't hunting. I look at it this way: if you use someone's stand in the bush, then guess it's ok if I come and take your quad or truck for a spin if it's parked on crown land..........

jbruce
10-24-2016, 05:29 AM
use it, don,t abuse it and leave the camp neater then you found it

jbruce
10-24-2016, 05:33 AM
I would imagine the stand is bucked off branches and a few boards?

jbruce
10-24-2016, 05:38 AM
good morning,dakoda,can't make out the name on the crest, wouldn't be old rusty guts would it?

HighCountryBC
10-24-2016, 06:58 AM
If someone has gone to the effort to pack a stand or ground blind into a spot, I would not use it and would move elsewhere. It's not my stand, I did not buy, I do not own it, it's not mine. Yes they don't own the spot (crown land assuming), and I don't want to gut pile hunt someone's setup and hardwork. Tip my hat and move on. Lots of country out there, actually in BC we have tons for me to find where someone isn't hunting. I look at it this way: if you use someone's stand in the bush, then guess it's ok if I come and take your quad or truck for a spin if it's parked on crown land..........

Well put, I agree 100%. I'm surprised at the amount of responses encouraging the OP to use it. Move on, find another area. There is so many productive places to hunt where you won't run into others. Why would you want to hunt where you know someone else is clearly coming back to? It's just like coming across someones trail camera, locked or not. Smile, give it the thumbs up and keep on going. Although that seems like a concept a lot of hunters can't seem to grasp nowadays.

markathome
10-24-2016, 07:50 AM
Well put, I agree 100%. I'm surprised at the amount of responses encouraging the OP to use it. Move on, find another area. There is so many productive places to hunt where you won't run into others. Why would you want to hunt where you know someone else is clearly coming back to? It's just like coming across someones trail camera, locked or not. Smile, give it the thumbs up and keep on going. Although that seems like a concept a lot of hunters can't seem to grasp nowadays.

I'm the same - I wouldn't squat in another guy's hunting zone - tree stand, ground blind, or otherwise. Also comes down to me preferring to have areas to myself so goes against my grain to shoulder in where another guy has already set up. BC is a big place and there are many many undiscovered honey holes out there waiting for me - and let's remember all the old farts who forgotten more areas than I've even been to.

whognu
10-24-2016, 08:35 AM
mea culpa

I may have to rethink my operating procedure.......

I have built 3-4 tree stands and countless ground blinds (natural materials) around the province in areas
that were, at the time, 'good' to me

simple as a handful of nails and couple 2x4's find a tree: very very rudimentary

being how life is, while you always 'plan' to go back to that spot, time passes and before you know it
you haven't been there for years

as they are all on crown land, I have always thought/expected they would be/are useable by anyone

most importantly I have never thought of it as 'claiming' this spot for my private use

logically, if I plan on a 1 week use per year (of the active stand) then as the 'owner' I would welcome/encourage
people to use it to their hunting success

so, while I doubt they would be seen by more than a few people, maybe I should circle back and take them down

could be an awesome road trip in the making.....

whognu

no, never sat in anyone else's stand

no, would never sit in someone's store bought stand

yes, I think it is very cool finding an old forgotten tree stand in the bush; I usually scope it out from all shooting angles and imagine what the original builder envisioned when he built it; muley or whitetail; moose or elk; early season or late?

kilometers
10-24-2016, 09:08 AM
If all it takes to claim a spot is to build a simple tree stand im going to spend all summer building tree stands. I will have the whole skeena valley to myself!

Jay2579
10-24-2016, 09:14 AM
yeah, that exactly what it is

skibum
10-24-2016, 09:19 AM
I don't get the move else where being mentioned - building tree stand doesn't save your spot on crown land.

Not sure I would use someone's tree stand, but sure wouldn't want to hear someone's bitching about their tree stand having someone in it in the morning.

Seeker
10-24-2016, 03:19 PM

Sorry I disagree. I am surprised there is anyone that would suggest that a tree stand is a manner to lay any sort of claim to a piece of crown land. Wow! You guys are comparing apples to oranges.

I would take the approach that you are welcome to use the structure/spot in a respectable manner and if approached move on.

HighCountryBC
10-24-2016, 05:42 PM
Sorry I disagree. I am surprised there is anyone that would suggest that a tree stand is a manner to lay any sort of claim to a piece of crown land. Wow! You guys are comparing apples to oranges.

I would take the approach that you are welcome to use the structure/spot in a respectable manner and if approached move on.

Think you're missing the point a couple of us were trying to make. It's not about laying claim to your own personal piece of crown land. If you want to hunt it, fly at 'er. It is, after all, crown land. Treat their stand/blind with respect and keep it clean and I'm sure 99% of guys would have no problem with it.

We are just respecting that someone else was here before us, put some time and effort in and we choose to give them some space to hunt the area. There is plenty of real estate out there to hunt without tripping over other hunters. Like Elk-aholic said, I'm not interested in gut-pile hunting someone's set up.

At the end of the day, if you're setting up blinds/tree stands on crown land you shouldn't be surprised if someone stumbles upon and uses your set up. Treat it with respect and you likely won't have any issues. I just choose to tip my cap and move on to the next spot instead of hunting where other people are.

Glenny
10-24-2016, 06:12 PM
Go for it use it.

zippermouth
10-24-2016, 06:45 PM
Stay the F_€k out.

Clint_S
10-24-2016, 06:53 PM
I think there are tree stands and there are tree stands. In my mind any permanent structure on crown land is part of the scenery and can be used if it looks like it isn't being actively visited. A commercial stand is private property and there is no way I would sit it and would expect the same courtesy in return.

Ourea
10-24-2016, 06:55 PM
There are those that need no guidance on what to do, in any given situation, hunting or otherwise.
If you have a moral compass that points true north, the right decision is always simple.

Some look to seek support on a gray area to justify.
(not suggesting this is the OP's position or objective)

There r many that travel a long way for their annual hunt.
They probably build a make shift blind or two in support of said hunts.....never to hunt there again.

Then there r other scenarios where some stumble into an obvious and well used blind claiming "crown land...u don't own this etc etc".

They didn't cut the shooting lanes
They didn't pack in the building materials
It's not their lawn chair they sit in yet feel entitled.

Pretty simple decision to make.
If it appears to be used annually and a lot of effort has gone into it's creation and monthly maintenance ....move on (my simple opinion)

Make shift blinds that appear completely abandoned for yrs r a different story.

1/2 slam
10-24-2016, 07:35 PM
I think there are tree stands and there are tree stands. In my mind any permanent structure on crown land is part of the scenery and can be used if it looks like it isn't being actively visited. A commercial stand is private property and there is no way I would sit it and would expect the same courtesy in return.

I'm with you.....

cueball
10-24-2016, 10:02 PM
So when someone is standing at the bottom of the treestand looking at you, how do you know its his? Just cause he says so? If i built a treestand a on crown land and saw some one was using it i'd walk and let him enjoy his hunt, i would most definitely not be a jerk n ask him to leave. Its crown land, anything built on it is not mine, it crown, just like the land. He who's first has dibs, real simple
Cueball

Ourea
10-24-2016, 10:11 PM
So when someone is standing at the bottom of the treestand looking at you, how do you know its his? Just cause he says so? If i built a treestand a on crown land and saw some one was using it i'd walk and let him enjoy his hunt, i would most definitely not be a jerk n ask him to leave. Its crown land, anything built on it is not mine, it crown, just like the land. He who's first has dibs, real simple
Cueball

If it was a pop up blind that someone packed in and set up.....
Would you climb in it and sit in his chair?

Bowzone_Mikey
10-24-2016, 10:51 PM
If it was a pop up blind that someone packed in and set up.....
Would you climb in it and sit in his chair?
as was said ... commercial portable blinds stands is a differant animal than a permanant stand/blind

I suppose that you wouldnt overnight in an old trappers cabin if you had to ...

there are many old trappers cabins on crown land that people can seek shelter in .. and in fact are encouraged to

dont be a shithed and everything is cool

Jay2579
10-25-2016, 07:44 AM
Thanks to everyone for the input.
I did hunt the blind yesterday with no success. It was always my plan to use it, just wanted to hear what people thought about it.
And just for clearity, it was a constructed blind from lumber, cedar trees and burlap. Well built, but from what I can tell, has not been used this season at all and perhaps layed unused for longer than that.
I agree that if I had stumbled across a 'commercial' tree stand or blind, I would leave it alone. And if there was clear sign of someone else actively hunting the area, I would move on completely.

Jay2579
10-25-2016, 07:45 AM
There are those that need no guidance on what to do, in any given situation, hunting or otherwise.
If you have a moral compass that points true north, the right decision is always simple.

Some look to seek support on a gray area to justify.
(not suggesting this is the OP's position or objective)

There r many that travel a long way for their annual hunt.
They probably build a make shift blind or two in support of said hunts.....never to hunt there again.

Then there r other scenarios where some stumble into an obvious and well used blind claiming "crown land...u don't own this etc etc".

They didn't cut the shooting lanes
They didn't pack in the building materials
It's not their lawn chair they sit in yet feel entitled.

Pretty simple decision to make.
If it appears to be used annually and a lot of effort has gone into it's creation and monthly maintenance ....move on (my simple opinion)

Make shift blinds that appear completely abandoned for yrs r a different story.

Well put Ourea!

Wild one
10-25-2016, 08:11 AM
It's simple when looking for answers to ? like this

Just put your self in the other persons shoes and ask how you like others to act

myself if I catch you in 1 of my store bought blinds/stands I would be pissed. I set up multiple hang on tree stands at times so I have options acording to the wind. If I am not there and you are sitting under my stand or next to my blind not a big deal odds are I will just talk to the hunter and wish him good luck. In my store bought stand or blind I will not be nice

made stand or blind have at it if anything I would just talk to the hunter to learn there plans. I have no interest in having to race another hunter to a blind

experienced both first hand. Ran into a hunter dragging a deer out mid day from a stand I built gave him a congrats asked him to keep location to him self and hunted another location that afternoon

Kicked a hunter out of my store bought stand was not happy about it. Guy even tried to tell me it was his. I now remove the lower steps on the tree so only those that can climb like a monkey can get in my stand.

Like most are taught as kids treated others how you wish to be treated simple concept but often gives you the right thing to do

Looking_4_Jerky
10-25-2016, 07:07 PM
Well, since I work in Crown lands, I would look at it through that lens. With no Crown land tenure, I have no ability to control access or control use of improvements (illegally) constructed on the land. That's like saying if a squatter illegally built a cabin on my favorite lake that I would respect his right to be there, when in fact he really has no right. If you build a structure on Crown land, expect that you have ABSOLUTELY NO RECOURSE if you show up to your stand to find Joe-blow having a Siesta in there, getting it on with his hillbilly wife or hunting from it.

Even though it's the same with store bought stands, it's a bit easier to understand the ethics in using someone else's gear. Nonetheless, if you bought a bench from Can Tire and put it on Crown land alongside a popular walking trail, is it reasonable to expect that you could kick someone else out of it should you ever show up to someone else sitting in it? Most us of (yes, me included) would never use such a stand, and most that would use it would immediately give it up upon the owner showing up, but the owners of such stands rely on the rest of us using discretion and having a moral compass. If someone did fall short in these categories and told you that you could have it back when they were done using it, there is really sweet F.A. you could do about it... legally :)

Brambles
10-26-2016, 05:27 AM
My question is, are people that piss poor hunters that the only way they can see to hunt that particular piece of land is to use someone else's gear? Be it a stand, a blind or so on...

Did you walk in there with a tree stand or building materials and this other existing stand just happened to be in the only tree in the area? I think not.....so if you weren't planning on hunting in or setting up a stand in the first place....then why climb some dudes stand? Continue on your hunt as you intended...

Wild one
10-26-2016, 06:10 AM
My question is, are people that piss poor hunters that the only way they can see to hunt that particular piece of land is to use someone else's gear? Be it a stand, a blind or so on...

Did you walk in there with a tree stand or building materials and this other existing stand just happened to be in the only tree in the area? I think not.....so if you weren't planning on hunting in or setting up a stand in the first place....then why climb some dudes stand? Continue on your hunt as you intended...

Because there is lots of lazy hunters and once they see a stand or blind they can't help but wonder what does this guy know that I don't. I know it is a risk I take any time I set anything up. Often it causes guys to still hunt the crap out of the area instead of sitting in a blind or stand

I now hide any evidence of hunting or scouting example tree stands and cams. I find if they get found it will attract a lot of hunters become attracted to the area like flies to crap

.308SLAYER
10-26-2016, 06:38 AM
Or maybe the guys stand is in a prime crossing area and there is big fresh elk rubs 50 m in front of the stand and when you look at the store bought 2 man tree stand the tree has grown around the straps holding it to the tree....been there awhile I think so. I would of def hunted this particular area if there was a tree stand or not just one example. I don't think you should not hunt a prime area just because someone has a stand there. But I guess because buddy put his stand there clearly many years ago thats his spot

caddisguy
10-26-2016, 07:23 AM
I wouldn't use someone else's stand. If I wanted to sit in a stand in that spot, I would put one up next to it. It's still someone elses personal property regardless if it is on public land. I'd feel the same way about someone else checking my trailcam or thinking it is ok to borrow a chainsaw from someone elses camp without asking...

"Hey that chainsaw is on public land so I can use it.... I'm a good guy so I'll replace any gas I use, then it's all good"

"Hey look someone left their canoe on public land. That means its cool if we take it for a little rip"

"Man I could use a nap. I'm gonna have me a nap in that tent over there... its public land so its all good"

I know I'm a little outspoken on this one. I still respect all opinions, as everyone has different boundaries.

Personal property on public land I won't touch. Maybe a blind or stand made out of natural materials would be different. If I really wanted to use someone else's stand I'd leave a note... if the note was still there in a few years maybe have a sit lol

Vladimir Poutine
10-26-2016, 07:55 AM
If someone wants to use my stand when I'm not there I have no issue with it. It's Crown land and I don't own it. While I may own the materials I used to build it, if I'm not there have at it. If someone built a DIY bridge over a washout would they expect no one to use it?

skibum
10-26-2016, 08:58 AM
Build it - want to use it - be the first one there in the morning

Problemo solved

What would you guys do if someone was sitting just off from your stand - would you tell him to take off or would you leave?

I have a feeling that the dude who built the stand, or put up, has too much invested (anticipation of hunting the area) to be the saint and not climb up that stand.

My buddy does not understand it, but this is why I am out in ""my"" spots well before sun up (generally just cut shooting lanes and a quiet path cleared of sticks). Can be spooky walking in, especially when it is cloudy and pitch black out, but it is the price to pay.

It is over kill as I have never seen anybody in ""my"" spots, but not going to risk it.

caddisguy
10-26-2016, 10:07 AM
Build it - want to use it - be the first one there in the morning

Problemo solved

What would you guys do if someone was sitting just off from your stand - would you tell him to take off or would you leave?

I have a feeling that the dude who built the stand, or put up, has too much invested (anticipation of hunting the area) to be the saint and not climb up that stand.

My buddy does not understand it, but this is why I am out in ""my"" spots well before sun up (generally just cut shooting lanes and a quiet path cleared of sticks). Can be spooky walking in, especially when it is cloudy and pitch black out, but it is the price to pay.

It is over kill as I have never seen anybody in ""my"" spots, but not going to risk it.

I think the issue (at least in my own head) is touching/using other peoples property more so than who gets to hunt the spot (ie: guy who got their first or guy who put up the stand) ... I think everyone would agree that the guy who gets into the area first should be the only one hunting there, as setting up a tree stand does not give one rights to the general area.

I have less of an issue with someone utilizing a permanent stand or blind that is made out of natural or brought in materials like in the case of the original post. I personally wouldn't, but with building permanent structures on public land, I can see how expectations of ownership get a little blurry. However, if were a store bought / portable stand, I don't think using it is any different than borrowing someone elses chainsaw, canoe, tent or messing with someone elses trailcam without asking.

I like what Brambles said... paraphrasing but if you come across a stand in the timber, leave it along and hunt as you were. If you were planning to use a stand as part of a hunt, you would have brought your own... just seems kinda lazy and opportunistic, piggy backing off another hunters ideas and work.

boxhitch
10-26-2016, 10:33 AM
I find if they get found it will attract a lot of hunters become attracted to the area like flies to crapyeah, a lot.....hate those flash mobs.
Or worse the sign at the start of the road "tree stand at 3.5 km." Hate it

Wild one
10-26-2016, 11:58 AM
yeah, a lot.....hate those flash mobs.
Or worse the sign at the start of the road "tree stand at 3.5 km." Hate it

Did not mean a mob but if it's built one word gets around that is why I have not made a tree stand in 10 years

Even had it in 814 guy seen me in my stand came back the next year and he had his stand in the exact tree I had mine the year before. This sucks but I don't have an issue with the guy doing that

when blinds and stands are found it does advertise your spot. Good did come from these experiences it taught me to hide from hunters more and I found better spots because of it

Walksalot
10-26-2016, 02:08 PM
I have came across many tree stands in my wanderings through the woods. Climbed into one to have a look around but never, so far, hunted from another person's stand. Stumbled onto one a few weeks ago in an ugly stand of timber. The person who constructed the tree stand, by the rotten condition of the wood he/she used, had not used it for many many years. Looked around for a trail coming to it but none was found. The questions will go unanswered, who,when and how the hell did they access it.

deadlyshot19
10-26-2016, 02:39 PM
If its built i would use it, if safe, store bought, not a chance that i would use it

I 100% agree with dakoda.

sakohunter
10-27-2016, 09:12 AM
I have come across a lot of old stands that are now totally exposed due to the pine beetle harvest. Some of them must have been really nice when actively being used. It is a part of that lands hunting history and it should be respected.

Ourea
11-09-2016, 12:30 PM
I have come across a lot of old stands that are now totally exposed due to the pine beetle harvest. Some of them must have been really nice when actively being used. It is a part of that lands hunting history and it should be respected.

Well stated Sako.

We, as a user group, can be such buffoons.

I have shook my head over the years with certain people I've met in the field.

Seeing a hunting party camped out in a remote area that accessed via the 10km trail we cut.....burning the firewood we cut...using the tarps ......sitting in the lawn chairs we packed in....then being told to f**k off because they were here first.

Simply respect others efforts.
Don't take advantage of them.

.308SLAYER
11-09-2016, 05:43 PM
Well stated Sako.

Seeing a hunting party camped out in a remote area that accessed via the 10km trail we cut.....burning the firewood we cut...using the tarps ......sitting in the lawn chairs we packed in....then being told to f**k off because they were here first.

Would love to c that happen to me...

MichelD
11-09-2016, 06:12 PM
This issue has been discussed regarding duck blinds on public land too. The opinions expressed are similar.

1. "I built it, stay out."

2. "If it's unoccupied, I'll use it."

The ministry is clear though, that blinds must be temporary and removed when not in use. It is written in the Fraser Valley Special regs map that any permanent blinds will be demolished without notice. And I understand that they have done it.

BRrooster
11-09-2016, 06:31 PM
In my opinion , Respect is the key work here.

Xbow
11-09-2016, 06:40 PM
So lets say you are out in the woods n stumble upon a pack of hounds with a big tom cougar up a tree. Do you shoot it????

skibum
11-09-2016, 06:56 PM
Well stated Sako.

What if your personal items were piled on the side. Have you reserved your parcel of crown land for the hunting season and must show distain for any one there before you?

GoatGuy
11-09-2016, 07:14 PM
Don't get too excited if someone is using one that we put up. It's crown land and I'm sure we can all share.

Get a bit excited when sitting in a blind or treestand and another hunter comes and sits right beside you lol! Seen it twice now, once with an outfitter in R4 and once with a guy from VI. Point is dud's come from all walks of life - don't be one.

HighCountryBC
11-09-2016, 07:39 PM
What if your personal items were piled on the side. Have you reserved your parcel of crown land for the hunting season and must show distain for any one there before you?

Whoa, Ourea's message went way over someones head...

Gateholio
11-09-2016, 08:12 PM
Well stated Sako.

What, in your opinion would be the appropriate response? Should they pack up their camp and leave? (obviously a simple F@*k you is impolite and unnecessary) but what solution would you feel is correct?

I"m asking not to take sides, but because it's not uncommon for hunters/hikers/any outdoor users to use campsites that often have improvements. Many of us have been in areas that range from remote to drive up access and stayed at previously used campsites. Often there is firewood, a meat pole, sometimes some form of tables or chairs. Even latrines or other facilities.

And of course there are backwoods cabins all over the province that have been built by individuals and are used by many.

What's appropriate if a group has been there for a few days and someone else shows up and says that they had claimed this spot previously? I think returning your lawn chairs and tarps would be obvious, but should they concede the spot and pack up and leave?

Looking_4_Jerky
11-09-2016, 08:31 PM
Don't get too excited if someone is using one that we put up. It's crown land and I'm sure we can all share.

Get a bit excited when sitting in a blind or treestand and another hunter comes and sits right beside you lol! Seen it twice now, once with an outfitter in R4 and once with a guy from VI. Point is dud's come from all walks of life - don't be one.

Lol! That's great. Did they ask you for a beer too? Must have been a tough slog into your spot, because you probably didn't clear the trail in very well!!

Ourea
11-09-2016, 08:33 PM

My comments r simply based on showing respect to others.

I've found a few prime spots (Whitetail specific) where there is evidence that it is being actively hunted. (make shift blind....shooting lanes cut etc)
I've never gone back.
Personally I wont hunt "on top of someone".

There is endless crown land out there.
I simply find my own space.

A bird dogger that looks for my truck....follows my tracks .....sits in my blinds .....then justifies it because its "crown land". F**k them.

As a few have said....."respect".... its simple as that.

11-09-2016, 08:39 PM
Well said Ourea ........ Many don't have a conscience ......

GoatGuy
11-09-2016, 08:49 PM
Lol! That's great. Did they ask you for a beer too? Must have been a tough slog into your spot, because you probably didn't clear the trail in very well!!

Lol, one was about 11 kms down a road closure, the other a 20 minutes hike. Both times the 'hunters' sat within feet of us, knew we were there. The outfitter was a third class type every day of the week, the other guy I have no idea.

Rolls eyes.....

As said could care less if someone's in 'our spot' where we have a stand, or a glassing spot, or what have you, it's crown land - don't mind going somewhere else if someone woke up before and got in there. There are lots of spots out there, just don't come sit beside us if we were there first lol.

skibum
11-09-2016, 09:38 PM
My comments r simply based on showing respect to others.

I've found a few prime spots (Whitetail specific) where there is evidence that it is being actively hunted. (make shift blind....shooting lanes cut etc)
I've never gone back.
Personally I wont hunt "on top of someone".

There is endless crown land out there.
I simply find my own space.

A bird dogger that looks for my truck....follows my tracks .....sits in my blinds .....then justifies it because its "crown land". F**k them.

As a few have said....."respect".... its simple as that.

Don't totally disagree with you, but I was I was referring to the spot cut 10km in with what seems to be a camp set up.

So someone should stay clear of a spot because there is some sign of hunting activity at one point? How does someone know how many times it is used per year?

Like I said, don't totally disagree with you, but also don't think a guy has the right to get all pissy if someone follows a trail that he cut into the bush. I take it as a one of the risks of being given the awesome opportunity to hunt our crown lands.

I have found people making a tree stand in "my area", but because they have left a mark on the land it is not going to stop me from sitting on "my rock" looking over the valley. (and i thought this spot was far enough in that other would not bother hiking in there).

Ourea
11-09-2016, 10:01 PM
What, in your opinion would be the appropriate response? Should they pack up their camp and leave? (obviously a simple F@*k you is impolite and unnecessary) but what solution would you feel is correct?

I"m asking not to take sides, but because it's not uncommon for hunters/hikers/any outdoor users to use campsites that often have improvements. Many of us have been in areas that range from remote to drive up access and stayed at previously used campsites. Often there is firewood, a meat pole, sometimes some form of tables or chairs. Even latrines or other facilities.

And of course there are backwoods cabins all over the province that have been built by individuals and are used by many.

What's appropriate if a group has been there for a few days and someone else shows up and says that they had claimed this spot previously? I think returning your lawn chairs and tarps would be obvious, but should they concede the spot and pack up and leave?

Gates, I don't hunt like the average guy.

There r multiple degrees of separation with respect to this topic.

I am not referring to "common" ground areas with my following comments.

My question to u ...... if you spent weeks cutting into the back country.....to an area that has not been accessed previously because of the remoteness and aggressive nature of the terrain. (5 hr hike with trail..2 days without)
You hunt it for years.
You spend several weekends a yr cutting the endless blow down out to keep the trail open.
Someone finds ur trail.

They set up shop in the site that u grub howed out a level spot to pitch a tent.
The wood u cut and stacked gets burned.

The only single reason that they have the ability to access and hunt the area is result of your efforts.
To pull a first come first served attitude is simply self serving

Again there r degrees of separation on this topic about crown land and using or taking advantage of efforts of others.

To answer your question Gates about what to do........
My answer - simply treat people with respect.

Easily accessed areas, where one should expect company, well, expect company
Help accommodate.

The deeper u get in the back country the respect standards should only go up.

Good people will easily come to an understanding and a game plan when crossing swords.

The gut pile hunters will always be there and justify their actions.
What side of the fence, as a hunter, do you sit on?

Gateholio
11-09-2016, 10:32 PM
Gates, I don't hunt like the average guy.

There r multiple degrees of separation with respect to this topic.

I am not referring to "common" ground areas with my following comments.

My question to u ...... if you spent weeks cutting into the back country.....to an area that has not been accessed previously because of the remoteness and aggressive nature of the terrain. (5 hr hike with trail..2 days without)
You hunt it for years.
You spend several weekends a yr cutting the endless blow down out to keep the trail open.
Someone finds ur trail.

They set up shop in the site that u grub howed out a level spot to pitch a tent.
The wood u cut and stacked gets burned.

The only single reason that they have the ability to access and hunt the area is result of your efforts.
To pull a first come first served attitude is simply self serving

Again there r degrees of separation on this topic about crown land and using or taking advantage of efforts of others.

To answer your question Gates about what to do........
My answer - simply treat people with respect.

Easily accessed areas, where one should expect company, well, expect company
Help accommodate.

The deeper u get in the back country the respect standards should only go up.

Good people will easily come to an understanding and a game plan when crossing swords.

The gut pile hunters will always be there and justify their actions.
What side of the fence, as a hunter, do you sit on?

I understand you frustration, but the question still stands. What is their appropriate response? Should they pack up and leave?

Define "treat others with respect" in this context. Again, "eff off" is not respect, but what about "well, we found this trail on public land, hiked up, found a campsite and set up camp, and intend to hunt here for the next few days"

Again, not taking sides, but I want to know what you think is the appropriate response. Specifically, what response from them would have satisfied you when you showed up and found them occupying the area?

Ourea
11-09-2016, 11:56 PM
I understand you frustration, but the question still stands. What is their appropriate response? Should they pack up and leave?

Define "treat others with respect" in this context. Again, "eff off" is not respect, but what about "well, we found this trail on public land, hiked up, found a campsite and set up camp, and intend to hunt here for the next few days"

Again, not taking sides, but I want to know what you think is the appropriate response. Specifically, what response from them would have satisfied you when you showed up and found them occupying the area?

Gates, I am not here to manage the sheep but I respect and understand the point u r trying to make.
Any respectful person would discuss and come to an understanding quickly.

It is a mistake in life to place expectations on others.

Having said that....if I was the convenient guy that found a trail....gained access to an area that was not possible to hunt without said trail.... Used a camping spot that someone else carved in. .....
If and when they showed up I would come to a quick hunting/camping plan that respects the person(s) that created the infrastructure.

Simple ........just show "respect"
If u r asking me to define a protocol on this scenario .....well.... I cant.

Gateholio
11-10-2016, 01:04 AM
Gates, I am not here to manage the sheep but I respect and understand the point u r trying to make.
Any respectful person would discuss and come to an understanding quickly.

It is a mistake in life to place expectations on others.

Having said that....if I was the convenient guy that found a trail....gained access to an area that was not possible to hunt without said trail.... Used a camping spot that someone else carved in. .....
If and when they showed up I would come to a quick hunting/camping plan that respects the person(s) that created the infrastructure.

As for tree stands- I probably wouldn't go into a store bought one that was clearly well used, but if ti looked like it had been there for a year, maybe I would. Never been in either situation. But if a guy showed up and said that I was in his store bought stand, I would leave. It's public land but his property. Stands/blinds built in place I wouldn't have the same feelings. We built a stand and have seen evidence of others using it, but never the people. Don't really care, and if I showed up and someone was in it? Have a good one, dude, I'll head on....

Simple ........just show "respect"
If u r asking me to define a protocol on this scenario .....well.... I cant.

I wasn't trying to make a point, I was interested in a straightforward, honest answer about what would satisfy you- beyond "just show respect."

It's a straight question.

As I said, I understand your frustration, been there, done that.

Here is where I *will* make a point though...Lots of people build trails. They could be hikers, mountain bikers, individual hunters or outfitters. To suggest nobody should use these trails without the permission of the builders is ridiculous. I've had mountain bikers tell me "there is no hunting allowed on these trails" and of course I just laugh as we were hunting in this area long before they showed up. I've had an outfitter say "I don't MIND if you use our trails, but make sure you keep away from where we are" This makes about as much sense as saying that the logging company built the road, at great expense and labour, so nobody should use it except them.

But If I was in that position, I would just say "here is your chair, I'll find a stump or a rock.... set up your tent wherever you want, come join our fire if you want, we are hunting over there tomorrow" There would be no eff you. But I wouldn't feel the need to leave. And if the situation was reversed, and it was *my* spot, I wouldn't ask the first group there to leave, either. I would work around it.

J_T
11-10-2016, 06:16 AM
I didnt think this thread would get the mileage it has.
Most hunters around here agree on the ethics of treestands. It comes up at 3D shoots and IBEP courses and word spreads from there.
Generally we agree permanent stands should not be built or used. That our footprint should be light. However, there is the odd occasional when a permanent stand is erected.
Most hunters respect the permanent stand as someone elses and they dont use it.
Of course if its a manufactured stand someone has hung, its pretty much hands off.

But simply having a stand in an area does not create a prior right to the area. If you wish to take a stand in and hang it next to someone elses, that is your right. For obvious reasons you might want to move on, but that is your choice.

There is lots of ground to hunt and many local hunters keep in touch about who has stands and where. Generally leaving a person to their own area.

We did have an occurance a couple of years ago with a buddy sitting quietly in his stand, 4 hunters from another geographic location came in, dropped 20 lbs of salt, told my buddy this was their spot, they hung stands while my non confrontational buddy took his down and moved on. He killed a bull that year.

Wild one
11-10-2016, 07:42 AM
All this thread has shown me is keep hiding from other hunters it's worth the effort lol

whognu
11-10-2016, 08:23 AM
while previously noted I have no problem using old camps, cabins and stands

they are all left as they are found; restocked wood, water etc

having said that, and in the case you describe ourea; I would be packing up before your boots hit the fire ring

no, its not your private hunting spot, yet I respect people's efforts and would be off to the next valley pronto

(and I would be hard pressed not to be a bit embarrassed)

which would quickly be covered off with a smile and handshake

whognu

Linksman313
11-10-2016, 08:36 AM
All this thread has shown me is keep hiding from other hunters it's worth the effort lol
I agree, and that respect different meanings to different folks

Ourea
11-11-2016, 02:01 PM
while previously noted I have no problem using old camps, cabins and stands

they are all left as they are found; restocked wood, water etc

having said that, and in the case you describe ourea; I would be packing up before your boots hit the fire ring

no, its not your private hunting spot, yet I respect people's efforts and would be off to the next valley pronto

(and I would be hard pressed not to be a bit embarrassed)

which would quickly be covered off with a smile and handshake

whognu

I think some got my point......simply show respect and solutions/personal decisions are easy to come by.
Hang a tree stand where you want, sit in another that someone else built, use a remote and maintained trail and camp.......end of the day if the party responsible comes in to use it.....well, comes back to respect.
If you have a moral compass and ethics in your pocket, well, you will always be respected.
That being my point.

Gates pressed me ......, "what is the correct response to satisfy me".
I could have the same challenge in 5 different spots I hunt and/or built access to.
Guaranteed my understanding and personal expectations on a response would be different in each scenario because each are unique.

Most people are quite good in these situations.

At the same token there are some that will continually take advantage of the efforts of others ....and then justify their right of entitlement. Our social system is based on it.

skibum
11-11-2016, 04:13 PM
Beyond using someone else's stuff. First in is the way I look at it. Calling someone unethical for being on crown land is just covering own self interest

Glenny
11-11-2016, 05:08 PM
Try common sense. we all remember that don't we? it's been covered here I think.

358mag
11-11-2016, 05:42 PM
Try common sense. we all remember that don't we? it's been covered here I think.
Glenny , Common sense isn't that common these days . Seems to me its all about this new self entitled generation , its all about them and piss on everyone else . But they would be the first to complain if there not enuff firewood cut for them at the camp .

goatdancer
11-11-2016, 06:05 PM
So how does one know that the person claiming the effort actually is the one who did the work? It's crown land. There are all kinds of rules regarding building trails and structures that should be adhered to. If you hang a commercial treestand, I would not climb into it. If you build a ground blind, I would not have any concerns in using it.

Glenny
11-11-2016, 06:12 PM
Glenny , Common sense isn't that common these days . Seems to me its all about this new self entitled generation , its all about them and piss on everyone else . But they would be the first to complain if there not enuff firewood cut for them at the camp .

haha. Sounds about right. Kinda sad really.

Ourea
11-11-2016, 10:10 PM
So how does one know that the person claiming the effort actually is the one who did the work? It's crown land. There are all kinds of rules regarding building trails and structures that should be adhered to. If you hang a commercial treestand, I would not climb into it. If you build a ground blind, I would not have any concerns in using it.

As I have hinted before.....if that's ur ethical decision and ur good with it....then that's ur, and/or anyone else's choice. If you r comfortable then fill ur boots.
Don't need to justify it with me.

It's crown land.
There is a ton of it out there.
All free and clear.
If someone wants to hunt on top of someone else .....just show respect .

goatdancer
11-12-2016, 10:31 AM
As I have hinted before.....if that's ur ethical decision and ur good with it....then that's ur, and/or anyone else's choice. If you r comfortable then fill ur boots.
Don't need to justify it with me.

It's crown land.
There is a ton of it out there.
All free and clear.
If someone wants to hunt on top of someone else .....just show respect .

I hate hunting in close proximity to other hunters so I usually go elsewhere. Too much chance of getting shot.