PDA

View Full Version : question for all you hunters regarding POSSESS CARCASS WITHOUT PARTS ATTACHED

tforstbauer
10-21-2016, 09:15 PM
A friend of mine was out hunting with his family. They were hunting 130mile house for any buck. They were successful with their hunt and were able to obtain a 2 point mule deer. They debone the deer on site. Super excited about the experience they decide that they want to get a head mount done with the animal as this is the first deer taken by the family. So its time to go, they load up their gear and the game (deboned dear with the head... antlers) and hit the road back to the lower mainland where they live Chilliwack. So heres where the story got interesting for me..... In Cache Creek they are stopped at the game check. They are given ticket for POSSESS CARCASS WITHOUT PARTS ATTACHED.

in the regs. Page 20
under

Possession & Transportation

(2) For deer
(a) if the animal is male
(i) that portion of the head which
bears the antlers, OR
(ii) the unskinned tail and either a
testical o part of the penis.

What are your thoughts on this?

I have always been under the understanding that if you have the antlers to the animal that you harvested then you are within the regulations of transporting the animal.

AM I MISTAKEN???

Rob Chipman
10-21-2016, 09:18 PM
CO told me at that place that the head with antlers has to be "naturally attached" to the rest of the carcass or, if you've severed the head, you better have evidence of sex attached where possible and a patch of fur on each chunk of carcass.

Not too tough to do...unless you're boning a moose out in the mountains! :-)

whitlers
10-21-2016, 09:23 PM
As stated above. Head needs to be naturally attached to the carcass or other proof of sex is required. It isn't worded very well in the regs I will agree with you on that.

Skull Hunter
10-21-2016, 09:27 PM
CO told me at that place that the head with antlers has to be "naturally attached" to the rest of the carcass or, if you've severed the head, you better have evidence of sex attached where possible and a patch of fur on each chunk of carcass.

Not too tough to do...unless you're boning a moose out in the mountains! :-)

yep this... Evidence of sex needs to be attached to part of the carcass, or on other words to part of one of the quarters. As Rob said, you need evidence of sex and species. I don't think you need fur on each quarter, but at least 1 patch of fur on one quarter. I usually leave the nuts (unskinned) attached to one of the hind quarters and that satisfies everything. If it was a doe or cow, I'd do the same with one of the teats (and I guess the un-skinned tail although I just learned this, but I don't hunt deer).

also from page 20, the bullet point that details the overall requirements before going into details for each species that you posted...

"Anyone who possesses or transports thecarcass or part of the carcass of the followinganimals must leave naturally attached tothe carcass or one part of the carcass in theperson’s possession the following listed parts:

(2) For deer:
(a)If the animal is male(i) that portion of the head whichbears the antlers, OR(ii) the unskinned tail and either atesticle or part of the penis.
(b) If the animal is female(i) that portion of the head whichin males normally bears antlers,OR a portion of the udder andteats, AND(ii) the unskinned tail.

tforstbauer
10-21-2016, 09:28 PM
So you would say that it is illegal to debone an animal in the bush???

twoSevenO
10-21-2016, 09:31 PM
wait a minute here .... so if i'm packing out an animal off the mountain and have it deboned, i need to leave a piece of fur on each piece of meat?!?
Is that so they don't think i'm packing out 80% of one animal and 20% of another, for which i kept no trophy and tossed out an equivalent amount of the first animal to make room for the second?

tforstbauer
10-21-2016, 09:35 PM
unless you have the unskinned tail and either a testicle or part of the penis attached to ALL PROTIONS OF THE CARCASS??

tforstbauer
10-21-2016, 09:37 PM
is the head not part of the carcass???

tforstbauer
10-21-2016, 09:41 PM
car•cass (ˈkɑr kəs)

n.1. the dead body of an animal, esp. of a slaughtered animal after removal of the offal.
2. Slang. the body of a human being, whether living or dead.
3. the physical or structural remnant of something stripped, plundered, or decayed; shell.
4. an unfinished skeleton or framework, as of a house or ship.

Dannybuoy
10-21-2016, 09:52 PM
wait a minute here .... so if i'm packing out an animal off the mountain and have it deboned, i need to leave a piece of fur on each piece of meat?!?
Is that so they don't think i'm packing out 80% of one animal and 20% of another, for which i kept no trophy and tossed out an equivalent amount of the first animal to make room for the second?
No it says to one part of the carcass ...
To the OP ... your friends only option at this point would be to have his day in court , possibly the judge would see it your way as you considered the head to be part of the carcass .

tforstbauer
10-21-2016, 10:06 PM
why in the hunting synopsis would they put

that portion of the head which bears the antlers?

how are you going to leave "that portion" of the head attached to the carcass????

Gateholio
10-21-2016, 10:14 PM
We had a big discussion about this a few years ago. If you are going to debone/cut up the animal, leave the nuts and some fur attached. We got a warning about it as we had backpacked 2 deer down off a steep ridge and not left the nuts on, as we didn't think it was required as the regs basically say "antlers OR nuts"

So after that, the balls stay on.

The wording in the regs is a bit ambiguous, and I don't think contesting the ticket in court is a bad idea, if your buddy has the time to devote to it. Maybe the judge will make the lawmakers come up with some better wording!

Dannybuoy
10-21-2016, 10:18 PM
why in the hunting synopsis would they put

that portion of the head which bears the antlers?

how are you going to leave "that portion" of the head attached to the carcass????
It means either leave the head and antlers attached OR testicle /penis & piece of hide ... technically your friend erred ... like I said take a chance in the courts ?

tforstbauer
10-21-2016, 10:31 PM
Gatehouse could you point me in the direction of that conversation......
I am courious to read

As a seasoned hunter having read the hunting synopsis and thinking that i understood what was expected of me when transporting game I was baffled when I learned what happened to this family.

It made my blood boil.

Gateholio
10-21-2016, 10:35 PM
Discussion was several years ago, no even sure if it started on that topic. You may be able to trynot a search and find it, but not sure how long it would take you.

hoochie
10-21-2016, 10:48 PM
Holy crap.
I had no idea, and this slipped my mind.
In previous years, we had taken the animal to the butcher ( guts out) and he gave us a hook to skin it out on. Proof of everything was there and could be seen by all.
This year, I backed up the truck, and was told they do not allow skinning on site anymore, and told me I had to leave and skin the animal then return.
I thought it had to do with tick prevention or something... I took it home and skinned it out.
To be on the safe side, I had the head and hide on the return trip to the butcher, so I could provide proof if stopped or questioned.

Now reading this.. I was totally wrong in how I did it.
I tried to get it all off so the butcher didnt have any work to do, as I was told before he charges to skin. I dont want to pay extra.
I could have been fined too.

Now I know better for next year.

MichelD
10-21-2016, 10:54 PM
They broke the law as it is written.

steve-r
10-21-2016, 11:10 PM
I had the same questions so sent an email to the CO service asking for confirmation of what was required when field dressing with the gutless method. Here is the response:

Hello Steve,

Thank you for your email dated August 25, 2016, regarding the possession and transport of harvested big game. Your enquiry has been forwarded to me for response.

A head detached from a carcass is not sufficient to prove evidence of sex and species of a harvested animal, once the head is removed it is no longer considered naturally attached to the carcass. If the head is detached you must retain other evidence of sex and species, for bulls it is the testicle and penis and a patch of fur or the animals tail. The gutless method is permitted, provided you retain the required parts naturally attached to the carcass.

Note that when an open season for a species is antler restricted (i.e. 6 point elk, spike-fork moose, etc) the antlers must accompany the species license while transporting.

Evidence of sex and species can be removed once you return to your normal dwelling place, a meatcutter, or a cold storage plant.

Further information on possession and transport is copied below

Applicable regulations are copied below for your reference. I’ve included regulations for possession of elk, moose, or deer, as they are the most commonly hunted species. If you want regulations for other species feel free to contact me.

Possession of carcass
36 (1) A person who possesses the carcass of any wildlife, whether or not the carcass has been divided, without leaving attached the parts required by regulation to be left attached, commits an offence.
(2) Subsection (1) only applies until the earlier of the following:
(a) the carcass is given to a meatcutter or the owner or operator of a cold storage plant to be recorded in accordance with section 71,
(b) the carcass arrives at the person's normal dwelling place and is butchered and stored there for consumption on the premises, or
(c) the carcass is presented to an employee of the ministry for which the minister is responsible or other person specified by the Lieutenant Governor in Council for inspection.

Division 5 — Possession of Carcass
Possession of carcass
15 (1) In subsection (2), "deer" means mule (black-tailed) deer, white-tailed deer and fallow deer.
(2) For the purpose of section 36 of the Act, a person who possesses the whole carcass or part of a carcass of an elk, moose or deer must leave naturally attached to the carcass or one part of the carcass in the person's possession
(a) if the animal was male, either
(i) that portion of the head that bears the antlers, or
(ii) both
(A) a testicle or part of the penis, and
(B) the animal's tail or another readily identifiable part of the hide not less than 6 cm2, and
(b) if the animal was female, either
(i) that portion of the head that in males normally bears antlers, or
(ii) both
(A) a portion of the udder or teats, and
(B) the animal's tail or another readily identifiable part of the hide not less than 6 cm2.

Hunters have to be able to prove that, between the kill location and the persons’ normal dwelling place, mearcutter, or the owner/operator of a cold storage plant, the game in their possession was legally harvested. This means that the hunter must be able to prove the sex and the species of the harvested animal. If you are de-boning/butchering the animal, you must leave, naturally attached to a part of the carcass, proof of sex (testicle, udder, etc as described above), and a minimum 6 cm2 patch of hide or the tail. A detached head bearing antlers is not sufficient for proof of sex and species. The head needs to be left naturally attached to the remainder of the carcass if it is used to prove sex and species of a harvested animal.

Once a hunter arrives at their normal dwelling place they have met the legal requirement for evidence of sex and species. At this point the hunter is free to process the meat in the way that they choose, including canning. Note that if the harvested animal is subject to Compulsory Inspection different regulations may apply because of the parts that must be submitted to an inspector.

Regards,

Stephen MacIver|Regulations and Policy Analyst|Fish & Wildlife Branch|Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations|Phone (250) 387-9767 (tel:(250)%20387-9767)|Mobile (250) 889-9497 (tel:(250)%20889-9497)|Email: stephen.maciver@gov.bc.ca

Bugle M In
10-22-2016, 12:34 AM
If you debone, leave a strip of hair on each piece...although, might be hard to do on the back straps and tenderloins.
Obviously, the head is loped off, so ya better keep the balls or pecker on one portion (male).

Downwind
10-22-2016, 05:19 AM
is the head not part of the carcass???

Only if it hasn't been cut off. If you're deboning the animal leave a nut on one quarter and a small patch of fur and you're good to go.

quadrakid
10-22-2016, 05:33 AM
With all do respect to the CO,s it is ridiculous to bust people for this offence without stating in the regs that a head cutoff is NOT proof of sex. Too many intelligent people that read the regs and are law abiding do not understand the reg as it is written. I am part of that group and would still be breaking the law if not for HBC thread years back.

sawmill
10-22-2016, 05:36 AM
The reason for it is because you could take your buddies buck head into the bush, shoot a doe and clean her up and claim it`s a buck. The tail is for proof of spieces not sex. Balls or udder attached is for proof of sex. Pretty simple really. If you don`t have your head up your ass.

ryanb
10-22-2016, 06:39 AM
It's a bogus charge. If you pull the skull cap only I'd say yeah, but if you've left the skull cap naturally attached to the head, that is certainly "one part of the carcass".

Nowhere does it say the animal must be left whole, you just have to " leave the portion of the skull that bears the antlers... Naturally attached to part of the carcass. ", which is the head.

Big Lew
10-22-2016, 07:10 AM
The reason for it is because you could take your buddies buck head into the bush, shoot a doe and clean her up and claim it`s a buck. The tail is for proof of spieces not sex. Balls or udder attached is for proof of sex. Pretty simple really. If you don`t have your head up your ass.

Correct! I've always left the testicles, penis, and a patch of fur larger then 6 sq cms on one quarter
and never had a problem. I read that a patch of fur not less than sq cms is sufficient without also
leaving the unskinned tail.

Livinlarge
10-22-2016, 08:14 AM
The regs are very poorly written. We had a discussion this year with the regs out trying to interpret this exact topic. I can see how people could make this mistake and think that detached antlers are sufficient to transport.

How much was your friends fine? Did they take the deer?

Steeleco
10-22-2016, 08:25 AM
A few years back my son took a deer in youth season that was a 3x3, once at the kill site we realized the animal was female. Removing the head would have made him a poacher. We had to bring the deer home whole so it wouldn't look like we'd taken 2 animals and switched ends.

I theory, had we taken a doe and cut both animals in half, we could have passed it off as 2 bucks.

After that day, I get some things the CO service must have to contend with.

As to the OP, the regs are clear as mud, have your day in court if time permits!!

carnivore
10-22-2016, 08:25 AM
We had a big discussion about this a few years ago. If you are going to debone/cut up the animal, leave the nuts and some fur attached. We got a warning about it as we had backpacked 2 deer down off a steep ridge and not left the nuts on, as we didn't think it was required as the regs basically say "antlers OR nuts"

So after that, the balls stay on.

The wording in the regs is a bit ambiguous, and I don't think contesting the ticket in court is a bad idea, if your buddy has the time to devote to it. Maybe the judge will make the lawmakers come up with some better wording!

The regulations are a little ambiguous indeed. It's impossible to cover every natural occurring physical variation in a couple of sentences. The most confusing part is the requirement for evidence of sex, while the tag ( permit to harvest) is based on either antlered or antlerless. As we all know there are cases of a female deer with antlers, a male with no antler or only one antler ( not antlers). Leaving the testicles, penis or udder on a portion of the carcass do not necessarily prove whether the animal was antlered or antlerless. Also, if you shoot a small bodied animal and leave the pecker and balls attached, but no head you would still have to prove the animal is over 1 year of age for it to be legal in the ( antlered open season).

markathome
10-22-2016, 08:27 AM
I'm with Sawmill:

"The reason for it is because you could take your buddies buck head into the bush, shoot a doe and clean her up and claim it`s a buck. The tail is for proof of spieces not sex. Balls or udder attached is for proof of sex. Pretty simple really. If you don`t have your head up your ass."

I don't get why this is topic is so confusing for people... the regs are clear. Don't read into it - read it at face value. At no point is there a requirement for a "patch of hair". You need proof of sex and the tail attached to a portion of the animal - end of story.

hoochie
10-22-2016, 08:29 AM
A few years back my son took a deer in youth season that was a 3x3, once at the kill site we realized the animal was female.

not to hijack, but the animal was trans gendered?

markathome
10-22-2016, 08:32 AM

Wow - is there more to the story - that's wild. I've never heard of antlered females.

hoochie
10-22-2016, 08:37 AM
thats what he said right?

carnivore
10-22-2016, 08:42 AM
Wow - is there more to the story - that's wild. I've never heard of antlered females.

It's like in the human species ( chicks with dicks).

hoochie
10-22-2016, 09:01 AM
just read some articles.. they say its female deer with higher than normal testosterone.

ActionJackson017
10-22-2016, 09:24 AM
Does can sprout antlers, several members of the forum have confirmed this.

Walking Buffalo
10-22-2016, 10:14 AM

A good question to ask the judge.

The genital organ id requirement for legal possession seems disassociated to the requirements determining a legal antlered or antlerless animal for the purpose of licenced hunting.

Big Lew
10-22-2016, 10:17 AM
I'm with Sawmill:

"The reason for it is because you could take your buddies buck head into the bush, shoot a doe and clean her up and claim it`s a buck. The tail is for proof of spieces not sex. Balls or udder attached is for proof of sex. Pretty simple really. If you don`t have your head up your ass."

I don't get why this is topic is so confusing for people... the regs are clear. Don't read into it - read it at face value. At no point is there a requirement for a "patch of hair". You need proof of sex and the tail attached to a portion of the animal - end of story.

I agree with most of what you say, but the regs do say under "For elk, moose, and deer:
(a) (ii) both a testicle or part of the penis,
AND the animal's tail or another
readily identifiable part of the hide
not less than 6 m2.
(b) (ii) both a portion of the udder or teats,
AND the animal's tail or another
readily identifiable part of the hide
not less than 6 m2.

Fella
10-22-2016, 10:47 AM
Not rocket science. The way I see it either haul the animal out whole (minus guts of course) or quarter it but leave the nuts/teats and udder and the tail attached to one quarter.

RiverOtter
10-22-2016, 10:48 AM
Didn't read all the posts here, so it may have been mentioned already, but for animals I need to pack out, I do this:

-Leave the nuts/tits attached to one boned out hind quarter
-Leave 4"x4" square of hide attached to other hind quarter
-Leave antlers/horns attached to skull plate or entire skull, depending on taxi plans
-Tenders, backstraps, boned out fronts and neck meat get packed out naked

If a CO is going to ticket me for not leaving fur attached to boned out fronts, which are generally broke into 2 or 3 chunks each, then I guess I'll see him/her in court.

boxhitch
10-22-2016, 11:25 AM
Best plan there, RO
Have even left the head at the kill site, okay when nuts and fur are attached.

Walking Buffalo
10-22-2016, 11:31 AM
Best plan there, RO

How would you prove that it was Antlered or Antlerless?
This would only show species and gender.

Bugle M In
10-22-2016, 11:49 AM

Talking to one CO, that was what was happening.
Guys shot a bull moose, than would shoot cows and use the same bulls antlered head.
Thus the laws.

carnivore
10-22-2016, 02:14 PM
No wonder there is some confusion regarding limits and open seasons for antlered, antlerless, male, female, nuts, teats and peckers. If you look at the deer bag limit chart on page 17 of the regs , they define deer as either Bucks or Antlerles??? Should'nt it read either Buck or Doe, Male or Female or Antlered and Antlerless? Mixing and matching identity criteria in the regs adds to the confusion. As has been said before Does can have antlers and Bucks could be without one or both antlers.

RiverOtter
10-22-2016, 02:44 PM
boxhitch http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1832958#post1832958)Best plan there, RO

How would you prove that it was Antlered or Antlerless?
This would only show species and gender.
Unless, the animal shot falls under an antler points regulation or minimum annuli/horn length, I'm confident with evidence of sex/species and properly cancelled tag.....

Steeleco
10-22-2016, 02:48 PM

No it was a female with a very nice rack, NO PUN intended, Don't even start down that road. I've got powas!!!

RiverOtter
10-22-2016, 02:51 PM
And in all honesty, if I shot a doe/cow that upon ground inspection had a small horn, no way would I be cancelling my tag as antlered.

Actually had a doe near my parents house years ago with a single spike horn that grew down the side of her face. She carried it year round, never shed it, so by definition it couldn't be classified an antler regardless.

boxhitch
10-22-2016, 02:54 PM
This would only show species and gender.Thats all that is necessary in an 'any buck' season

quadrakid
10-22-2016, 03:04 PM
Back to the original problem which is the fact that the reg states,,naturally attatched to the carcass,,, and plenty of people do not understand what that means. They need to make the reg clearer.Its not fair to make criminals out of people due to the governments inability to write the reg clearly.

RiverOtter
10-22-2016, 03:12 PM
What part of "NATURALLY ATTACHED" is so confusing?

Walking Buffalo
10-22-2016, 03:24 PM
Thats all that is necessary in an 'any buck' season

I get the generally accepted application of the regs.
Having said that, I am expressing the potential for facing charges and the opportunity to defend oneself in court....

Is it not illegal to kill an Anlerless buck under the authority of a "Any Buck" licence?

How do you prove your Any Buck was legal (NOT an Antlerless Buck) if you dispose of the Antlers?

Iltasyuko
10-22-2016, 03:39 PM
Back to the original problem which is the fact that the reg states,,naturally attatched to the carcass,,, and plenty of people do not understand what that means. They need to make the reg clearer.Its not fair to make criminals out of people due to the governments inability to write the reg clearly.

Nothing is confusing about that - what's confusing is what the Ministry considers the 'carcass'. If you know 100% the definition from the Ministry's perspective please share it. Is the head considered part of the carcass - yes or no? The answer to this question is key.

It's our job to follow the rules and Ministry's job to use the English language to draft policy that is clear and defensible.

We all know why the rule is needed - using heads to go out and collect other animals etc etc etc. We get it - makes sense.

Now the Ministry needs to write clearly by including a definition of carcass - use a diagram if needed.

I went through this deal on the phone in September with a CO - by the time he was done trying to defend the wording he was tripping over his words and second guessing it himself.

The whole section of the regs as written make sense ACCEPT carcass is not defined which undermines the entire thing.

If policy results in this much head scratching, interpretation and discussion - it's not well written.

Keta1969
10-22-2016, 04:20 PM
I don't think it's that difficult to see that a head on it's own is not part of a carcass. Suppose you shoot a whitetail doe bebone it chuck the head tail ,teats and all proof of sex. Now shoot a mule deer buck and do the same. Now get stopped in a game check and explain to the CO what you have. He says prove it and you can't. Part of the problem is that we are all basically honest so we have a hard time understanding why a CO won't just believe us,our tags are cut we're not lying,whats the problem. The problem is that there are idiots who will cheat lie and bull___ because they can. Now we need to follow these rules because of the aholes. I don't find them that difficult to adhere to and yes they could be explained better.

boxhitch
10-22-2016, 04:25 PM
I get the generally accepted application of the regs.
Having said that, I am expressing the potential for facing charges and the opportunity to defend oneself in court....

Is it not illegal to kill an Anlerless buck under the authority of a "Any Buck" licence?

How do you prove your Any Buck was legal (NOT an Antlerless Buck) if you dispose of the Antlers?The parts that really matter are between the legs not on the head.
The opportunity is for males and the cojones prove that.
The regs say 'or' and I don't make headcheese so .........

Downwind
10-22-2016, 04:41 PM
Nothing is confusing about that - what's confusing is what the Ministry considers the 'carcass'. If you know 100% the definition from the Ministry's perspective please share it. Is the head considered part of the carcass - yes or no? The answer to this question is key.

It's our job to follow the rules and Ministry's job to use the English language to draft policy that is clear and defensible.

We all know why the rule is needed - using heads to go out and collect other animals etc etc etc. We get it - makes sense.

Now the Ministry needs to write clearly by including a definition of carcass - use a diagram if needed.

I went through this deal on the phone in September with a CO - by the time he was done trying to defend the wording he was tripping over his words and second guessing it himself.

The whole section of the regs as written make sense ACCEPT carcass is not defined which undermines the entire thing.

If policy results in this much head scratching, interpretation and discussion - it's not well written.

Actually it's your responsibility to know the regs and if you have questions to clarify with a CO before you go out hunting or you can ACCEPT the consequences when you make a mistake and get a ticket. A quick google search will give you the definition of carcass (trunk of an animal by the way). And the ministry can change things all around EXCEPT people will still find some way to argue something when they don't follow the rules or clarify them. If you aren't clear on the regs call and get clarification. Not rocket science here people.

ryanb
10-22-2016, 04:51 PM

Because it says naturally attached to the carcass OR ONE PART OF THE CARCASS. There is no explanation of what constitutes a PART of a carcass, so therefore any part could be argued to qualify. Doesn't mean you won't be fined or charged, but it's a bogus fine or charge .

I think anyone can understand what the carcass is, but without defining what "one part" does or does not constitute, you certainly have an absolutely valid defence in this case

carnivore
10-22-2016, 05:01 PM
The parts that really matter are between the legs not on the head.

If the parts that matter are between the legs why don't the regs say " ball bearing"?? A male deer less than a year old has a cock and balls but usually no antlers, the balls don't make him legal.

Rob Chipman
10-22-2016, 05:03 PM
If half the guys on this thread think the regs are confusing, that's evidence that the regs are confusing.

If a CO tells me that he thinks the regs are confusing, and poorly written, that's more evidence that the regs are confusing and poorly written.

If a guy can email the ministry and get a response back clarifying that "once the head is removed it is no longer considered naturally attached to the carcass" that's evidence that the regs could have been written better.

When the CO at Cache Creek explains it to me in a couple minutes, after saying "Yeah, that's where the confusion comes up...." and can then clear up the confusion, the regs aren't well written.

"(a) if the animal was male, either
(i) that portion of the head that bears the antlers, ****or****
(ii) both
(B) the animal's tail or another readily...."

What that "or" says (at least in English) is that you need to do either (i) ****or*****(ii) ; When you throw in "naturally attached to the carcass or one part of the carcass" and don't clarify that a severed head does not qualify as part of a carcass you've multiplied the confusion.

There's no question the regs are confusing. It's great that this forum can alleviate the confusion.

Iltasyuko
10-22-2016, 05:25 PM
Actually it's your responsibility to know the regs and if you have questions to clarify with a CO before you go out hunting or you can ACCEPT the consequences when you make a mistake and get a ticket. A quick google search will give you the definition of carcass (trunk of an animal by the way). And the ministry can change things all around EXCEPT people will still find some way to argue something when they don't follow the rules or clarify them. If you aren't clear on the regs call and get clarification. Not rocket science here people

I see you quoted my post - just not sure you read it. It's clear I did speak with a CO.

The CO stated the carcass includes the head - this is not consistent with your google 'trunk' search. Google searches are not the BC Wildlife Act.

Post the section of the BC Wildlife Act showing the Act definition of 'carcass' aligns with your online 'trunk' definition - I'll pass it along to the CO to correct him.

It's loose wording like that in 'Possession and Transportation' of the regs that lets poachers walk when stuff lands in front of a judge.

Walking Buffalo
10-22-2016, 06:08 PM

The regs define a Buck by the presence of Antlers, no nuts required....
An Antlered Doe is a Buck by Law.

I suspect that the problem lies within the inclusion of gender within the Possession regulations, while the definition of legal subject deer family animals for hunting does NOT address gender.
There are NO gender based definitions for deer family animals.... legality is based on the absence or presence of Antlers, the size of antlers, or age.

-------------

Possession of carcass
15 (1) In subsection (2), "deer" means mule (black-tailed) deer, white-tailed deer and fallow deer.
(2) For the purpose of section 36 of the Act, a person who possesses the whole carcass or part of a carcass of an elk, moose or deer must leave naturally attached to the carcass or one part of the carcass in the person's possession
(ii) both
(B) the animal's tail or another readily identifiable part of the hide not less than 6 cm2, and
(ii) both
(B) the animal's tail or another readily identifiable part of the hide not less than 6 cm2.

Antlered Animal - means a member of thedeer family over one year of age bearing visiblebony antlers.

Antlerless Animal - means a member ofthe deer family bearing no visible antlers.Thesmall skin or hair covered protuberances ofmale fawns and calves do not constitute antlers.

Buck or Bull - with reference to deer, mooseor elk means one bearing visible bony antlers,but does not include a calf; with reference tocaribou means a male bearing visible bonyantlers, but does not include a calf.

--------------

With regards to the OP, it would be valuable for a judge to have the opportunity to review this matter. The contradiction between the legal description for the purpose of hunting and the legal requirements for possession are at odds. I can see a judge throwing out your charges, thus requiring the regulations to be amended.

butthead
10-22-2016, 07:42 PM
A friend of mine was out hunting with his family. They were hunting 130mile house for any buck. They were successful with their hunt and were able to obtain a 2 point mule deer. They debone the deer on site. Super excited about the experience they decide that they want to get a head mount done with the animal as this is the first deer taken by the family. So its time to go, they load up their gear and the game (deboned dear with the head... antlers) and hit the road back to the lower mainland where they live Chilliwack. So heres where the story got interesting for me..... In Cache Creek they are stopped at the game check. They are given ticket for POSSESS CARCASS WITHOUT PARTS ATTACHED.

in the regs. Page 20
under

Possession & Transportation

(2) For deer
(a) if the animal is male
bears the antlers, OR
testical o part of the penis.

What are your thoughts on this?

I have always been under the understanding that if you have the antlers to the animal that you harvested then you are within the regulations of transporting the animal.

AM I MISTAKEN???

the regs on page 20 in reguards to this is they change this year being in green so now it has to be done the new way.
the way i do it is just leave the dam head on the tail on and the cock on till your home or taken it to the butcher and while were at it leave a wing on those bird also

dd3boss
10-22-2016, 07:52 PM
A few years back my son took a deer in youth season that was a 3x3, once at the kill site we realized the animal was female. Removing the head would have made him a poacher. We had to bring the deer home whole so it wouldn't look like we'd taken 2 animals and switched ends.

I theory, had we taken a doe and cut both animals in half, we could have passed it off as 2 bucks.

After that day, I get some things the CO service must have to contend with.

As to the OP, the regs are clear as mud, have your day in court if time permits!!

As Steeleco's post shows, the parts that really matter are not only between the legs! As he said, if they would have discarded the head, it would have looked like an illegally shot doe

RiverOtter
10-22-2016, 10:49 PM
the regs on page 20 in reguards to this is they change this year being in green so now it has to be done the new way.
the way i do it is just leave the dam head on the tail on and the cock on till your home or taken it to the butcher and while were at it leave a wing on those bird also
Care to explain how you intend to pack out your moose or elk with the head/antlers attached to the front quarter???

Can't imagine it being very doable on a large Mule deer either.

butthead
10-23-2016, 05:11 AM
Care to explain how you intend to pack out your moose or elk with the head/antlers attached to the front quarter???

Can't imagine it being very doable on a large Mule deer either.

that's the law
do it wrong get the fine
leave one leg with the head on
leave one rear with the cock on
leave the other rear with the tail
they don't weigh any more

RiverOtter
10-23-2016, 07:47 AM
that's the law
do it wrong get the fine
A front quarter with the head attached doesn't weigh any more?

carnivore
10-23-2016, 08:07 AM
that's the law
do it wrong get the fine

I sure hope hope they don't use the above wording ( highlighted in green) in the next set of regs! I can't imagine a
a novice hunter trying to figure out how to make the proper cuts to quarter the animal. If quartered as stated above you would still have one front quarter with no head, cock, balls, teats or tail attached. Maybe the head could be split so half of it was on each front quarter:confused:

Downwind
10-23-2016, 03:04 PM
I see you quoted my post - just not sure you read it. It's clear I did speak with a CO.

The CO stated the carcass includes the head - this is not consistent with your google 'trunk' search. Google searches are not the BC Wildlife Act.

Post the section of the BC Wildlife Act showing the Act definition of 'carcass' aligns with your online 'trunk' definition - I'll pass it along to the CO to correct him.

It's loose wording like that in 'Possession and Transportation' of the regs that lets poachers walk when stuff lands in front of a judge.

Yes. You are safe if you leave the head ATTACHED TO THE CARCASS. Basic grammar is not part of the BC Wildlife Act either. That is the responsibility of the person reading the Act. Carcass - torso or trunk. Not hard to understand. It's also very clear wording. Head or evidence of sex need the be left naturally attached to the carcass ie how nature made it.

Norwestalta
10-23-2016, 06:09 PM
Maybe I'm confused but the op said deboned. Is deboned pretty much the same as processed? How do you keep the balls/udder on a piece of deboned meat? I can understand having the head with the meat during transport. With dna testing they can tell which animal the head belongs and the head should be there to prove weather it is a mature/ immature or 3 pt/6 pt.

butthead
10-23-2016, 06:13 PM
Maybe I'm confused but the op said deboned. Is deboned pretty much the same as processed? How do you keep the balls/udder on a piece of deboned meat? I can understand having the head with the meat during transport. With dna testing they can tell which animal the head belongs and the head should be there to prove weather it is a mature/ immature or 3 pt/6 pt.

Removing
Evidence
of Sex & Species
Evidence of species and sex may be removed
from the carcass or the hide of game:

after it arrives at a person’s normal
dwelling place and is butchered and stored
there for consumption on the premises,
after it is taken to a meat cutter or the
owner or operator of a cold storage plant,
or
after it has been inspected by a qualified
Compulsory Inspector.

page 20

Norwestalta
10-23-2016, 06:24 PM
Removing
Evidence
of Sex & Species
Evidence of species and sex may be removed
from the carcass or the hide of game:

after it arrives at a person’s normal
dwelling place and is butchered and stored
there for consumption on the premises,
after it is taken to a meat cutter or the
owner or operator of a cold storage plant,
or
after it has been inspected by a qualified
Compulsory Inspector.

page 20

I don't know nor will I claim to know but if I'm back country hunting my meat will be boned out and coming home in a bag with the head attached to my pack.

Bugle M In
10-23-2016, 06:25 PM

It's possible to keep parts attached to the deboned meat.
Just go slow.
Sure, they could DNA test it, but, that wouldn't happen until after you meat might be possibly confiscated.
And you would probably be the one paying for the testing.
When I debone, the head comes off.(but I do pack the head out)
I keep a section of hide on all legs that are quartered and deboned.
Pecker stays on one deboned hind quarter.
Only pieces that don't have hide is the back straps and tenderloins.

Norwestalta
10-23-2016, 06:34 PM
Our Alberta regs are worded much the same. Damn near got to take a lawyer hunting with you to decipher the regulations.

RiverOtter
10-23-2016, 07:17 PM
Balls are fairly easy to keep attached, a 4x4" square of hide takes a little more thought/effort. While some may disagree, I don't worry about hide on fronts or back straps, unless maybe I botch skinning a hind and need to use a front.

Steeleco
10-23-2016, 08:50 PM
You no longer need any hide attached, they changed it this year to include "un-skinned tail" for deer that is. Don't miss this new point it might be costly!

Philcott
10-24-2016, 09:21 AM
This is a reply I received 3 three years ago, before the requirement of an unskinned tail came into effect.

My letter to the ministry.

Subject: official definition of a carcass

Hello,

I am trying to find a definition in the Wildlife act that often brings up heated discussions among hunters.

When a hunter is successful in harvesting a deer he/she is required to retain proof of sex until the animal is at a proper place to be butchered.

From the hunting synopsis we are told:

Anyone who possesses or transports the carcass or part of the carcass of the following animals must leave naturally attached to the carcass or one part of the carcass in the person’s possession the following listed parts:
1) For elk, moose, and deer:
a) If the animal is male
either
(i) that portion of the head which bears the antlers, OR
(ii) both a testicle or part of the penis,AND the animal’s tail or another readily identifiable part of the hide not less than 6 cm2.

From the wildlife Act we find:
Possession of carcass

36 (1) A person who possesses the carcass of any wildlife, whether or not the carcass has been divided, without leaving attached the parts required by regulation to be left attached, commits an offence.

(a) the carcass is given to a meatcutter or the owner or operator of a cold storage plant to be recorded in accordance with section 71,

(b) the carcass arrives at the person's normal dwelling place and is butchered and stored there for consumption on the premises, or

(c) the carcass is presented to an employee of the ministry for which the minister is responsible or other person specified by the Lieutenant Governor in Council for inspection.

The question arises when someone field dresses and quarters the animal and wants to use the antlers for proof of sex. What is the definition of "the carcass"? Is the head considered part of the carcass? Does the head need to be left attached to part one of the front quarters? This becomes problematic when a hunter is on top of a mountain side and 10 km from camp and wants to only carry out the meat and what is required for proof of sex.

The regulations state the head which bears the antlers, OR, both a testicle or part of the penis, AND the animal’s tail or another readily identifiable part of the hide not less than 6 cm2.

We need a definition of what "or one part of the carcass" is. Maybe it's somewhere in the act but I can't find it.

Thank you in advance for looking into this.

The reply

Hello Phil,

Thank you for your email dated January 23, 2013 addressed to Fish and Wildlife general enquiries and your email dated January 15, 2013 addressed to the honourable Steve Thomson, Minister of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations, regarding evidence of sex and species for harvested wildlife. Minister Thomson has requested that I respond on his behalf.

Below are the regulations regarding evidence of sex and species (note that these can be found in the Hunting Regulations (B.C. Reg 190/84) of the Wildlife Act):

Possession of carcass

(ii) both

(ii) both

(3) For the purpose of section 36 of the Act, a person who possesses the whole carcass or part of a carcass of a caribou must leave naturally attached to the carcass or one part of the carcass in the person's possession

(a) if the animal was male,

(i) a testicle or part of the penis, and

(ii) the animal's tail, another readily identifiable part of the hide not less than 6 cm² or that portion of the head that bears the antlers, and

(b) if the animal was female,

(i) a portion of the udder or teats, and

(ii) the animal's tail, another readily identifiable part of the hide not less than 6 cm2 or that portion of the head that normally bears the antlers.

There is no definition of “carcass” in the provincial Wildlife Act. In cases where things are not specifically defined in legislation definitions that are commonly found in dictionaries are used. Dictionary definitions of “carcass” vary; some include the head and hooves, some do not. The Conservation Officer Service does not consider a detached head as “part of a carcass”; hunters that retain that portion of the head that bears the antlers attached to a detached head do not meet the requirement for evidence of sex and species. If a hunter is using that portion of the head that bears the antlers as evidence of sex and species, it must be left naturally attached to a portion of the carcass other than a detached head (i.e. a front quarter).

A definition for “carcass” in the Wildlife Act, in my opinion, would be a beneficial addition to the legislation, help clarify the regulation to hunters and will be considered by the Fish, Wildlife, and Habitat Management Branch in the future.

Note: When there is an antler restricted season (spike-fork moose, 4 point Mule deer, 6 point elk, etc) on wildlife the hunter must keep the antlers of the wildlife, and the species licence under which the animal was killed, together and available for inspection by an officer. Additionally, when an animal is subject to compulsory inspection regulations (Mountain Sheep, Mountain Goat, elk in some areas, etc) there are additional requirements for submitting the antlers/horns to a qualified inspector.

Regards,

cid:image001.png@01CC3C8C.33725280Stephen MacIver|Policy & Regulations Analyst|Fish, Wildlife and Habitat Management Branch|Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations|

This is the part we all need to know as that is what, as of 2013, the ministry was accepting.

There is no definition of “carcass” in the provincial Wildlife Act. In cases where things are not specifically defined in legislation definitions that are commonly found in dictionaries are used. Dictionary definitions of “carcass” vary; some include the head and hooves, some do not. The Conservation Officer Service does not consider a detached head as “part of a carcass”; hunters that retain that portion of the head that bears the antlers attached to a detached head do not meet the requirement for evidence of sex and species. If a hunter is using that portion of the head that bears the antlers as evidence of sex and species, it must be left naturally attached to a portion of the carcass other than a detached head (i.e. a front quarter).

I am requesting an update to see if they have defined carcass yet.

BigMrMeats
10-27-2016, 07:31 PM
If the animal is in lots of pieces, then that might have thrown off the CO. It sounds like the CO was just being pissy though. A little unusual so let's give this guy a ticket. If he really thought something was off, the CO would have taken the carcass away, big fines and impoundings.... but that didn't happen. Just a citation?

If you want to bone out an animal in the bush, there is a way to do it so it's in 1 piece and keep the genitals in tact....

You split both the hips, but not off, leaving the flank area attached to the back-strap... boning out the femur if you feel like it or leaving it in for later (easier).... then peel the back straps but not removing the neck, and peeling the neck from one side of the esophagus, to meet in the back, but not severing it (that's the connection point). The front quarters stay attached to the back-straps via a little bit of the plate meat. Stupid time consuming and if you haven't done it before, good luck!

The real question is... who in the hell would do that? Peel off the front legs, peel off the hind legs, peel out the back straps, flank meat and any brisket you can get and bundle it up together. Put it in the hide if you like, or use a tarp/bag to save weight. If you're boning out the animal in the field, the assumption would be you're traveling a bit of a distance. Any idiot could tell that any part if from the same carcass easy enough.

Or maybe they'd just fine the poor soul who's gone through the effort for not taking the tenderloins!

My best friend hikes into some of the most remote parts of the back woods to hunt... he's teaching me to hunt and I teach him how to cut. One of my greatest pleasures is going to be to teach him how to quickly bone out an animal in the field. If that's now illegal.... my ass shall need a long and sweet, gentle kiss when we get caught.

tforstbauer
10-27-2016, 09:10 PM
Thanks to all that replied,

I went hunting this weekend in region 5-3. My hunting partner was successful in taking an antlered mule deer.
Because of the information obtained prior to our hunt regarding Possession/Transport we were able to possess and transport this animal legally.

During our hunt I was able to speak with many other hunting camps regarding the new regulations that the tail must be left naturally attached to the animal.
I was told that the CO's were in the area checking hunters for compliance the day before we got there and set up camp. Many hunters had deer hanging in camp when checked by the CO. Some hunters had deer skinned out no head and no tail attached to the body, but the penis and testicles were attached to the animals body. Some hunters had deer hanging by the antlers with skin on.

The hunters were not informed by the CO that tail must be left attached. I explained to them of the new regs state that tail must be naturally attached.

On our way out we were stopped by a CO who checked the deer, we left attached the penis, testicle and tail. We also had the antlers. We were good to go.

I asked about the new regs and was told "penis, testicle and FEATHERED tail must be naturally attached." or the head must be left on the animal.
I also asked why the CO that stopped us of the CO who checked the the hunters at the camp site. "Why would they not inform the other hunters of the new regulation when checking game killed." His reply was "I can't speak of what the other officer did"

I understand his response to my question but there should be some consistency. One CO will give you a ticket, One may give a warning, while another CO will not even mentions the new regulation to the hunters.

Iltasyuko
10-28-2016, 02:29 PM
Thanks Philcott (#73) for sharing the Ministry response stating a definition of carcass in the Wildlife Act would be beneficial.

wideopenthrottle
10-28-2016, 02:56 PM
http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/ID/freeside/00_96488_01#section1
carcass still not defined in the regs as of oct 19 2016
they mention carcass in section 36
Possession of carcass36 (1) A person who possesses the carcass of any wildlife, whether or not the carcass has been divided, without leaving attached the parts required by regulation to be left attached, commits an offence.

wideopenthrottle
10-28-2016, 03:13 PM
For those mountain /deep woods hunters, in this day of everyone carrying a phone/camera, I think you should take a few pics with time/date stamps of your animal before busting it up so at least you have that as evidence

.308SLAYER
10-28-2016, 03:39 PM
Once you get used to it it's not that bad

Ryo
10-28-2016, 04:24 PM
But if the photo/time stamp is good enough for the new RAPP App..... (Just to stir the pot a bit)

i harvested my buck today and did everything by the book - I got way more hair on the meat than I'd like messing around with the tail, but I guess that's my problem to improve on. If it helps the muley/whitetail doe misidentification problem, than in ok with it.

Gateholio
10-28-2016, 04:59 PM
I don't see a new regulation ??? You always had to have either the tail or some other patch of fur left on a quarter.

tforstbauer
10-28-2016, 05:37 PM
I don't see a new regulation ??? You always had to have either the tail or some other patch of fur left on a quarter.

There is MOST DEFINITELY a new regulations regarding POSSESSION & TRANSPORTATION in the new hunting regulations.

In the 2014-2016 hunting and trapping synopsis

page 20
(1) For elk, moose, and deer:
(a) if the animal is male, either
(i)that portion if the head which
bears the antlers, OR
(ii) both a testicle or part of the penis,
AND the animal's tail or another readily identifiable part of the hide
not less then 6cm.

2016-2018 hunting and trapping synopsis

page 20

(2) For Deer:
(a) If the animal is male
bears the antlers, OR
testicle or part of the penis

tforstbauer
10-28-2016, 05:41 PM
For all those that are leaving a part of the hide not less then 6cm/sq attached thinking that they are doing everything right, you are not. A patch of fur is no longer acceptable for identification As many have stated in this thread.

Gateholio
10-28-2016, 06:15 PM
That is contrary to this email

I had the same questions so sent an email to the CO service asking for confirmation of what was required when field dressing with the gutless method. Here is the response:

Hello Steve,

Thank you for your email dated August 25, 2016, regarding the possession and transport of harvested big game. Your enquiry has been forwarded to me for response.

A head detached from a carcass is not sufficient to prove evidence of sex and species of a harvested animal, once the head is removed it is no longer considered naturally attached to the carcass. If the head is detached you must retain other evidence of sex and species, for bulls it is the testicle and penis and a patch of fur or the animals tail. The gutless method is permitted, provided you retain the required parts naturally attached to the carcass.

Note that when an open season for a species is antler restricted (i.e. 6 point elk, spike-fork moose, etc) the antlers must accompany the species license while transporting.

Evidence of sex and species can be removed once you return to your normal dwelling place, a meatcutter, or a cold storage plant.

Further information on possession and transport is copied below

Applicable regulations are copied below for your reference. I’ve included regulations for possession of elk, moose, or deer, as they are the most commonly hunted species. If you want regulations for other species feel free to contact me.

Possession of carcass

Possession of carcass
(ii) both
(ii) both

Hunters have to be able to prove that, between the kill location and the persons’ normal dwelling place, mearcutter, or the owner/operator of a cold storage plant, the game in their possession was legally harvested. This means that the hunter must be able to prove the sex and the species of the harvested animal. If you are de-boning/butchering the animal, you must leave, naturally attached to a part of the carcass, proof of sex (testicle, udder, etc as described above), and a minimum 6 cm2 patch of hide or the tail. A detached head bearing antlers is not sufficient for proof of sex and species. The head needs to be left naturally attached to the remainder of the carcass if it is used to prove sex and species of a harvested animal.

Once a hunter arrives at their normal dwelling place they have met the legal requirement for evidence of sex and species. At this point the hunter is free to process the meat in the way that they choose, including canning. Note that if the harvested animal is subject to Compulsory Inspection different regulations may apply because of the parts that must be submitted to an inspector.

Regards,

Stephen MacIver|Regulations and Policy Analyst|Fish & Wildlife Branch|Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations|Phone (250) 387-9767 (tel:(250)%20387-9767)|Mobile (250) 889-9497 (tel:(250)%20889-9497)|Email: stephen.maciver@gov.bc.ca

scoutlt1
10-28-2016, 06:20 PM
There is MOST DEFIANTLY new regulations regarding POSSESSION & TRANSPORTATION in the new hunting regulations.

In the 2014-2016 hunting and trapping synopsis

page 20
(1) For elk, moose, and deer:
(a) if the animal is male, either
(i)that portion if the head which
bears the antlers, OR
(ii) both a testicle or part of the penis,
AND the animal's tail or another readily identifiable part of the hide
not less then 6cm.

2016-2018 hunting and trapping synopsis

page 20

(2) For Deer:
(a) If the animal is male
bears the antlers, OR
testicle or part of the penis

Jeeezes...... It's "definitely", not "defiantly"

Sorry. Carry on.....

tforstbauer
10-28-2016, 07:30 PM
Scoutlt1 thanks I will fix that,

That email is an example of what I stated, The Conservation Officers NEED to be consistent. Stephen MacIver has quoted "Steve" an old regulation.

If the CO who wrote the email pulled me over THIS YEAR and checked a deer in which I prepared the same as past years (the testicle and the 6cm/sq piece of hide attached) I would most likely not receive a fine

HOWEVER

The CO that checked us this year on our way out (if we had prepared the deer in the same manner) we WOULD have received a ticket for POSSES CARCASS WITHOUT PARTS ATTACHED. As this was one of the things he wanted to see a FULLY FEATHERED TAIL.

Norwestalta
10-28-2016, 08:26 PM
On a doe/cow I'll leave the head on. It's pretty hard to skin the snatch and chances are that the udder will have milk.
Buck/bull ill leave the dink and tail on.
I will generally tie a bag on the tail or head to keep the hair off the meat. I don't know why anyone would need to keep evidence of sex on a animal that is open for male or female.

Gateholio
10-28-2016, 09:25 PM
Scoutlt1 thanks I will fix that,

That email is an example of what I stated, The Conservation Officers NEED to be consistent. Stephen MacIver has quoted "Steve" an old regulation.

If the CO who wrote the email pulled me over THIS YEAR and checked a deer in which I prepared the same as past years (the testicle and the 6cm/sq piece of hide attached) I would most likely not receive a fine

HOWEVER

The CO that checked us this year on our way out (if we had prepared the deer in the same manner) we WOULD have received a ticket for POSSES CARCASS WITHOUT PARTS ATTACHED. As this was one of the things he wanted to see a FULLY FEATHERED TAIL.

What's the actual Wildlife Act say? That's what matters, not the synopsis.

There are no feathers on a deer, moose or elk that I am aware of. :)

tforstbauer
10-28-2016, 09:51 PM
The co is the one who called it feathered