PDA

View Full Version : Brookmere Area

chwkhunter
10-21-2016, 11:22 AM
First year hunter here. Love the site, lots of helpful information so far. Looking forward to (hopefully) one day posting a pic of my first animal...doing so with a bow so it may be awhile, lol.
Anyways...going to the Brookmere area this weekend. Am I wasting my time? I've seen plenty of does in there over the year but never any bucks. I'll go have a look anyways, just thought I'd see if anyone had any info on the area.
Thanks and happy hunting!

Sleep Robber
10-21-2016, 11:24 AM
Where there are does there are bucks

twoSevenO
10-21-2016, 11:36 AM
Hunted there with my dad for 3 days in 2010 and shot a nice 4 point. Went back a few times but it has become insanely busy with dirt bikers and ATVs lately.

Stopped seeing animals once the rec use went up so much in that area. Was a good destination for me as it is very close to the LM.

Nice country up there though.

Hunted alone for 3 days in 2010. Didnt see a soul in 3 days ... this was on 10/10/2010. Easy date to remember. Went back in 2011 roughly the same time and the campsite at Davis lk looked like an RV trade show. Must have been 20 trailers there.

You arent wasting your time but cover a lot of ground. They are spread out pretty thin in my opinion.

Fella
10-21-2016, 11:41 AM
Get off the roads and you should find deer.

Dash
10-21-2016, 12:33 PM
I was up there in September and saw tons of does but no bucks. Was moderately busy. They've also torn out the 1 rec site that was at Andy's lake.

chwkhunter
10-21-2016, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the info. Hope it works out this weekend...or at least see some legal animals would be nice.

ajr5406
10-21-2016, 06:10 PM
Hunter a few spots through there a couple of weeks ago and saw nothing, and very little sign either

dirtymax
10-21-2016, 06:52 PM
Did a 4 day trip there the last two years, hunted hard and seen very little . A huge network of roads there for quads and trucks . All super busy , like twoSevenO said they are there but spread out , saw a nice 2 point hanging at someone's site . I've seen 3x more wt than Mules, not much deer sign when I spent hours hiking . More moose than deer . Great fishing at Davis though :)
beautiful country and always a great time ,
hope to hear about your success !

Asco
10-23-2016, 08:44 PM
Been up there and walked pretty extensively 3 times last year . Pretty quiet.
Saw a cow moose close to town in early September.
HIGHLIGHT: my 11 yr old got a rabbit! First game animal down! (Also close to town)
Good luck

markt308
10-24-2016, 08:00 AM
Good luck! Can't give you specific info on that area, but as was mentioned if you're seeing does you know there are bucks around! If you notice a group of does hanging around a particular area on a consistent (ish) basis, I suggest spending a bit of time in that area because a buck will likely show up soon enough. Best of luck. Also I assume you shoot a Fred Bear based on your profile pic! I have for the past 7 years!

Westcoastgunner
10-24-2016, 03:08 PM
Don't waste your time... Hunting pressure is huge up there during October. You might see the odd doe and odd cow moose. Other than that, the area has gone down drastically! Logging, heavy atv use, and hunters are putting it on a downward spiral.

Just
10-25-2016, 05:22 AM
I hunt that area hard! Seen a few bucks in Sept but all 2 points. Hiked all my usual ridges this year and didn't see any deer sign. Moose thou, like crazy! Cows everywhere! Oct.1 i went in and it was soo busy with trucks and quads. As always i got off the roads and hiked to the top ridges and walked but deer sign was non existant. A few grouse! But wheres the deer?! I've moved on to other areas!