PDA

View Full Version : Rattle for mulies?

MichelD
10-21-2016, 11:00 AM
Does rattling for Mule deer work this time of year?

One hunting buddy says scraping a tree with an antler has worked for him.

butcher
10-21-2016, 11:04 AM
oh it works....don't expect them to come charging in. They'll sneak in and out most of the time

bassplayer
10-21-2016, 11:19 AM
Yup. Done it lots of times. I find it works for me more towards the end of October and into first week of November.

mikeman20
10-21-2016, 11:23 AM
I've tried it a couple times, no success yet but they may have been sneakier than me, or they may have just not been around

Wrayzer
10-21-2016, 01:54 PM
Earliest I have rattled a muley in was Oct. 26 and he came in full charge. I could smell him from 100 yards away.
It was gross. I loved it.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-21-2016, 02:04 PM
I've rattled in more Muley does than anything else.
I also rattled in a big Muley buck with double stickers on a big frame. He came charging in a let out a big snort. That was November 15 when the Muley season was closed. Won't ever forget that one

Wild one
10-21-2016, 02:18 PM
Rattling does work for mule deer but those stupid can doe bleats I find work even better. Using both at the same time is often my go to for rutting bucks of all species

i do find it better to be less aggressive rattling mule deer compared to wt

tomahawk
10-21-2016, 02:57 PM
a little rattling perhaps, lots of scraping a tree with the antlers and calling goes a long way towards success.

deer nut
10-21-2016, 02:58 PM
Worked for me last year! I rattled and raked the brush and had one come running out of the bush seconds after I finish my rattling sequence.

butcher
10-22-2016, 11:00 AM
I've rattled in more Muley does than anything else.
I also rattled in a big Muley buck with double stickers on a big frame. He came charging in a let out a big snort. That was November 15 when the Muley season was closed. Won't ever forget that one

What are you hunting closed season for?

GROOTSKY
10-22-2016, 11:04 AM
His post doesn't say anything about hunting.

last light
10-22-2016, 11:07 AM
He was probably hunting for wt and a mule just happened to show himself.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-22-2016, 01:09 PM

He was probably hunting for wt and a mule just happened to show himself.

Every since I turned down Butcher's drunken advances at the WSSBC, he likes to give me a hard time:razz:.

.264winmag
10-22-2016, 01:17 PM
Watched a couple two points sparring this morning first light. Then a spike wandered up to check them out, then a 3 point ran over and beat them all up and ran off with 4 does. 2 points went back at each other and 2 spike wt wandered up to check em out. I don't see why rattling wouldn't work:razz:

butcher
10-23-2016, 07:52 AM
Every since I turned down Butcher's drunken advances at the WSSBC, he likes to give me a hard time:razz:.

Hey a gut can hope can't he?

smallfry14
10-23-2016, 12:05 PM
For the guys saying that scraping trees works well too, would it be good to pair with a grunt tube? Or a doe-in-estrus can call? Looking to try it in the next couple weeks, will post results if/when I get any!

Looking_4_Jerky
10-23-2016, 10:57 PM
Both raking and rattling work for mulies. I've rattled while observing mule bucks and seen them carry onas if they didn't hear anything, but a few times they have actually come right in.

You have the right idea with both rattling and raking. Throwing one or more well placed grunts in the sequence seems to add to success. I don't have the experience to know whether the same sequence works better or worse with or without them, but if they are not overdone they don't seem to hurt anything.

deadlyshot19
10-26-2016, 12:45 PM
I have rattled with a bleat can, numerous times with great results. Always makes for a fun day calling deer to within 15 yards even if you don't see the 4 pt you're hoping for.

charlie_horse
11-02-2016, 07:36 AM
My buddy swears by rattling, so last year for reg.8 four point I tried it out. Rattled in a couple smaller bucks and one nice buck that we couldn't confirm 4. All within 20 yards or closer. That was last weekend of 4 point season. This year I rattled in a nice bodied fork to 10 yards on the last weekend of any buck, he's in my freezer now. I use that doe bleat in the can combined with it but my fork I was just making noises with my mouth because I left the can in the truck.

I'd say it definitely works.

dougan
11-02-2016, 08:23 AM
I would asume whitetail