PDA

View Full Version : Meat Grinder

caddisguy
10-20-2016, 02:48 PM
Just got word from caddisgirl that she plans on buying a meat ginder while I am out hunting this weekend. I guess she is optomistic I will be coming home with something this time lol ... hope she likes grouse burgers :D We've always just used a hand grinder, but the convenience of an electric grinder does seem appealing.

Anyway, it sounds like she is planning to check out Cabelas. I was wondering if anyone has tried the "Cabela's Heavy-Duty Grinder" and whether not it is any good, though anny insight into other models is appreciated too.

We aren't looking to grind up dozens of pounds in a day, but maybe a couple pounds when we feel like making burgers or 10-15lbs whenever we bring home an animal.

.308SLAYER
10-20-2016, 02:51 PM
Not sure if it's the heavy duty one mut I was using my buddies little cabalas grinder yesterday worked very well I believe this is one of the smaller units took everything I could throw at it

srupp
10-20-2016, 03:00 PM
Hmmm I have their biggest? Model 1 3/ 4 hp..the 1 hp are relatively inexpensive...and great quality

Steven

Phil
10-20-2016, 03:11 PM
I was at Stuffers in Langley the other day. They have a great selection of sizes of the Pem brand. I'm going to pick up their #12 sized machine. I haven't got big plans for grinding 100s of pounds this season but don't want to sell myself short for the future. They offered me a great price too. You might wan to have a look at their web site and go in. Good people there.

adriaticum
10-20-2016, 03:45 PM
Caddis, don't buy a hand cranker, anything else will do.

caddisguy
10-20-2016, 04:22 PM
Caddis, don't buy a hand cranker, anything else will do.

Hand cranker is what we use now (an old one too, probably 60 years old)

Here are the specs we were looking at:

Here are the specs on the Heavy Duty Grinder:

• Powerful 400-watt motor
• Three-way switch for grinding, stuffing, and reverse options
• Medium and coarse grinding plates
Do-it-yourself hunters take pride in processing their own wild game. This powerful 400-watt grinder makes home processing quicker and easier. Three #8 grinding plates (medium and coarse). Aluminum hopper, feeder and gearbox for easy, sanitary cleanup. Metal blades and grinding plates deliver years of use. Three-way toggle switch for grinding, stuffing and reverse with cantilever-head release. Stable, nonslip feet and convenient power-cord storage. Includes 10 and 20mm stuffing funnels, stuffing star and an embroidered polyester cover. Dimensions: 14.8"L x 9"W x 12.4"H.

Weight: 9-1/4 lbs.

longwalk
10-20-2016, 04:34 PM
Used to hand grind, did half a moose a few years ago. That was a work out. Then went to a small Weston electric grinder, after two deer it was getting pretty hot and was noisier than sin. Bought the 1hp Cabelas Carnivore this year. Have only put two deer through it so far but what a difference. 40lbs of grind through in a few minutes, do not need to be so meticulous with the trimming. stuffing attachments work very well also. made 30lbs of sausage with it. Only other thing I would like to get for it is the foot controller.
As someone else already said, buy once cry once. This unit is a life time grinder

adriaticum
10-20-2016, 05:14 PM
Those LEM devices at Stuffers look damn good.

wrenchhead
10-20-2016, 06:27 PM
I have that one your looking at. Works great....have ground 75 pounds in one go. I find the key to is to cube the meat so there's no long strings of silver skin or anything to wrap around and bind up the cutter. The sausage tube does work but is not easiest to operate, best to use a stuffer unit.

SaintSix
10-20-2016, 09:23 PM
We got ours from basspro, they are the LEM brand. we started with a small one and it was great coming from a hand crank and its almost 10 years old but only use it if we have 1 deer or something small to do. few years after we bought the first one we upgraded to a larger one and it really saved time when we came back from 2 weeks of hunting with up to 7 peoples worth of game to process. they still are going strong but I would buy another if it were to fail, very easy to use, clean and never had any issues. although id stick to the larger one just because it saves time.

tinhorse
10-20-2016, 09:45 PM
I use my grandparents old old oster grinder. Little electric thing. Worked great on the little blacktails. Shot a moose this year and had 75 lbs of burger to make. All I gad to do was sharpen the blades and it chewed through the meat in no time. Was quite happy with it.

IronNoggin
10-21-2016, 01:25 PM
My partner and I went through four or five of the lower end models when we started off. All of them failed in relatively short order. The last 2 were Cuisinart branded versions of the Cabela's one you are looking at. Both had drive failures within a short period of use.

If you are looking for something that will see but very little & gentle use, that one may suffice.

We eventually went with Cabela's Commercial 1 HP Stainless Grinder. It has consumed a LOT of product, and kicked out a LOT of sausage without a single hiccup since we got it a couple years back now. Highly Recommended!
As others have noted, Buy Once. This one will outlast you. ;-)

Cheers,
Nog

Glenny
10-21-2016, 09:12 PM
This is the 3rd deer thru this machine, plus a whack of bread and pizza dough. I'll stick with this one.

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p567/g-rock2/IMG_20161021_203839143_HDR_zpss5jkrimk.jpg

Beaverhunter
10-21-2016, 11:43 PM
Kitchen sink is probably one of the dirtiest things in your house don't think I would grind meat in it.

Glenny
10-22-2016, 01:48 AM
I did clean it well beforehand.

srupp
10-22-2016, 02:12 AM
Cleaned good it is a fine container. .when i took my sausage making course it was mentioned..
Looks delicious
Srupp

ajr5406
10-22-2016, 09:23 AM
Just got word from caddisgirl that she plans on buying a meat ginder while I am out hunting this weekend. I guess she is optomistic I will be coming home with something this time lol ... hope she likes grouse burgers :D We've always just used a hand grinder, but the convenience of an electric grinder does seem appealing.

Anyway, it sounds like she is planning to check out Cabelas. I was wondering if anyone has tried the "Cabela's Heavy-Duty Grinder" and whether not it is any good, though anny insight into other models is appreciated too.

We aren't looking to grind up dozens of pounds in a day, but maybe a couple pounds when we feel like making burgers or 10-15lbs whenever we bring home an animal.

Caddis - just got a VIP event invitation in the mail, so you may get this at 20% pretty soon. Might save a few pennies if you wait for the event?

P.S. Those grinders look awesome - I want one too.

brian
10-22-2016, 01:20 PM
I have that one your looking at. Works great....have ground 75 pounds in one go. I find the key to is to cube the meat so there's no long strings of silver skin or anything to wrap around and bind up the cutter. The sausage tube does work but is not easiest to operate, best to use a stuffer unit.
You don't have to worry about cubing or long strings of silver skin if you step up in quality and get one of the carnivore lines of grinder. I got the 3/4 hp grinder (pre carnivore version) and it goes through everything I have put through it without complaining at all. The sausage stuffer works really well if you do a fine grind. Lots of steel in the motor itself which you can't say for any grinder that weighs only 9 1/2 lbs

Skull Hunter
10-23-2016, 03:40 PM
Ive got an LEM big bite #8, and I absolutely love it! Not sure which cabelas my buddy has, but my LEM puts it to shame.

srupp
10-23-2016, 06:37 PM
hmmm over the past decade tried lots of different grinders..best sausage maker Dick..Dyck from Germany $$$$$ but worth every penny..best grinder is the Cabelas 1 3 /4 hp however it certainly is the Cabelas model..the new carnivore is brilliant and leaves everything including LEM in the rearview mirror..

buy the best you can afford.
cheers
Steven

dblung
10-23-2016, 07:12 PM
When I was in the market for a grinder I went to stuffers as well. At that time, 6 months ago or so, their LEM grinders were not the newest and greatest BIG BITE series. I believe that is why the price was/is so good. Trying to get rid of old stock. The difference in the BIG BITE being the auger configuration. I ended up ordering the LEM model #32 online. The new version was actually cheaper then what stuffers was selling old model for. As fast as you can throw the meat in there and no worries about over heating like some other brands where you have to stop and let cool down. If you choose an LEM get the foot pedal. Worth every penny.

Norwestalta
10-23-2016, 08:34 PM
I've got a 1 hp from peavey mart. Had it for a 5 years now and it has done a minimum of 3 animals per year. This year it's working on its 3rd critter of the year with hopefully another 3 more forecast for it. The only problem I've had is when my cutting shack is a little on the cold side and the grease or oil inside it is a little stiff. 10 mins with the electric heater blowing on it cures it.

Id get at least a 1 hp. The feed spout is bigger which seems to help when doing the double grind.

srupp
10-23-2016, 09:11 PM
Too bad your so far..I would have loaned you my set up...
Good luck whatever you get..
Cheers
Steven

okas
10-27-2016, 10:40 PM
Those LEM devices at Stuffers look damn good.
YES I HAVE ONE 800$ 10 years ago as then it was the only place to buy a good one ;)

Fixit
10-27-2016, 11:40 PM
ive got a #12 LEM... nothing but issues with it plugging and mushing meat. wish i had bought the old hobart from my boss when he closed up shop.

srupp
10-28-2016, 12:24 AM
ive got a #12 WA rM... nothing but issues with it plugging and mushing meat. wish i had bought the old hobart from my boss when he closed up shop.

May I try and help you..with plugging and mused meat..

Buy new blade with new plate..course grind holes on that plate..keep them together forever and always use them together.
Buy a new blade with new plate..medium grind holes on that plate..keep them also together and only use them together.
Try and be somewhat consistent with cutting gristle. .silver skin. .tendons etc..out.
Cube to generally same size chunks,,, cubes.
Now place the course plate and blade together, medium plate and knife together, along with the auger, and the large faceplate that holds plates knives in.on my Cabelas the body..not the hopper tub, nor motor..but parts I mentioned go in FREEZER over night..next day put cubed meat in trays in freezer till they firm up plenty.
Set up machine run course set up the n run pork or beef fat through..mix in tub or mixer to mix fat in equally and evenly..now run it through again this time with your matched knife and medium plate.

Perfect results, consistently mixing..the cold allows things to be GROUND THROUGH AUGER. .KNIFES AND PLATE.
KEEP THE TENSION TIGHT SO KNIFES AND PLATE WORK BEST.
Cabelas now sells cool packs for outside machine and around area of knives plates.that cold overnight of cutting equip and 5 hours of meat getting cold in FREEZER.
THAT IS SECRET of grinding without warming up meat to mush, too much silver skin. .and poor already a low in the protein to start reacting. .
Cheers
Srupp

okas
11-05-2016, 04:24 PM
YES I HAVE ONE 800$ 10 years ago as then it was the only place to buy a good one ;) :oops: TOR- LEY from Halliford meat 14 years ago

karp2277
01-09-2017, 08:25 PM
Phil it is called lem ......great grinder i have done over 3000 pounds through mine

ianwuzhere
01-09-2017, 08:33 PM
Recently got one of them new cabela carnivore 3/4 hp grinders- cant wait to try it out- very heavy- has a lil drawer on bottom for things as well.

twanger
01-09-2017, 09:06 PM
okas, don't you mean Tor-Roy, I got mine from Halfords about 8 years ago...