PDA

View Full Version : where to go near Salmon Arm

EricPaul
10-20-2016, 11:32 AM
Looks like I only get to hunt for one week this year... that's what I get for having a 3 month old and switching jobs during hunting season I guess. Back to Alberta from Vancouver Island.

So anyhow my free week is end of November, I can go somewhere between Kamloops and Revelstoke. I know spots near Kamloops but thinking I'd like to get a little more into the alpine this time. I like the idea of going near Salmon Arm / Sicamous where it's any whitetail buck or 4+ point muley bucks. Any advice on where to go? Not asking for lat/long of a favorite honey hole, just general advice...

Cheers and good luck

boxhitch
10-20-2016, 06:34 PM
Some high spots north or south of #1 out from Malakwa or Taft. Have only done a couple of trips up there but was impressed each time. Not much for hunter traffic either.
Mt. Griffin, Queest, Cabellaro ..........
And if high is poor, Perry River is an easy drive

Buckmeister
10-20-2016, 09:40 PM
End of November? Good luck getting anywhere close to alpine. Snow will be too deep. Ski hills around here (Vernon, Revelstoke) are usually open by then. In my experience, by that time a lot of the Alpine Mule deer have moved down into their winter range which isn't far from valley bottom and share the same space with White tail. Last year at that time I was using tracks on my ATV just to get around to where the deer were.

monasheemountainman
10-20-2016, 10:16 PM
you know how much snow is gonna be up in the mountains around there???

Hunt rutting mule deer around Kamloops! Waaaay better opportunity

shuswapbear
10-20-2016, 10:55 PM
Last year up above Malakwa in first week of November there wasn't any snow in the alpine/sub-alpine where a guy I was out with got his while we were exploring some old roads.

boxhitch
10-21-2016, 05:11 AM
EP said he wants to try the alpine, no need to discourage him.
Some years truck access is possible into mid November. pack your chains.
Yeah some MD will have moved down but others stick it out til their balls are dragging in the snow because the does are up there too.
3-31, 3-35 are open for snowmobile or tracked quad use.

EricPaul
10-21-2016, 10:26 AM
Snow no problem. My hunting buddy in Revy is an avalanche forecaster, and we both have good ski touring gear, maybe worth finding some sleds too. Sounds like fun actually.

Thanks all for the advice, some good spots to check out.

mike31154
10-21-2016, 07:24 PM
I stumbled around in the snow in the alpine last November. Not Salmon Arm but same general region up above Mabel Lake. My hunt turned into a ski tour since I just kept driving higher up the FSR. Active logging so it was well cleared. Didn't see much sign of critters, but it was a nice early season ski tour. First time I had the presence of mind to throw the ski gear into the truck. I'm thinking I'll do the same again this November once the snow flies seriously. Tag soup last year so may as well have some fun with the ski sticks & prepare for the sliding season.

https://plus.google.com/+MikeSiemens88/posts/RdCP5GGScaW

Buckmeister
10-27-2016, 12:18 AM
Last weekend I was saw a few different guys with mountain sleds fueling up at gas stations. I went out hunting and looked across the valley to the mountain range in the area your thinking of hunting and could see the that the alpine was plastered in the white stuff. One look with the binos and I could see the trees had already turned into snow ghosts. No wonder those guys had their sleds pulled out.