PDA

View Full Version : Carpenter Lake in Early Sept.

Seth
06-28-2007, 07:53 PM
Does anyone hunt the area in the early season. I'm going to head over there and give it a go but if anyone has any info that would be great. Was thinking of hiking into some of the high elevation alpine meadows, possibly around the taylor creek area. Is it worth my while?

Jelvis
06-28-2007, 08:20 PM
If you climb way up in elevation you should do good for mule deer, thats where they are up top now, if your in good shape, and have water to drink. You will be sweating profusely. Take bandages for blisters too, where boots that are broke in good. Some guys use horses up there so you could hike the trails. I hunted down just above the lake years ago and saw nice buck

larry56b
06-28-2007, 08:53 PM
Re:carpenter Lake In Early Sept. I Have A Place In Bralorne Just South Of Carpenter Lake .i've Hunted In The Area For A Few Years.if You Hunt The High Ridges Above The Lake It Can Be Productive.get A Good Map Of The Area To Find The Old Mining Trails In The Area.look For Deer Trails And Try Still Hunting In A Blind If Your Patient They Will Come To You.area North Of Tyax Resort Can Be Good As Well.good Luck And See You In Sept.

dana
06-28-2007, 09:05 PM
Spent a summer working up the Cadwallader. Saw some really nice bucks in there.

srupp
06-28-2007, 09:36 PM
some EXELLENT deer ....

Steven

steveo32
06-28-2007, 09:47 PM
I spent the summer up the cadwalleder with dana, and we did see some nice bucks, along with goats. not to much info but glass the alpine in the early season they will still be up high.

steve

Gateholio
06-29-2007, 01:05 AM
Deer don't come down to Carpeneter until the weather gets nasty...Lots of deer up high early on. And many good trails that you can hike/ride horses along and spot from.

A couple of years ago I was up there and we got into an early season blizzard in th ehigh areas. A few does trailing fawns almost knocked us over!! Shot a nice buck the next day.

One week later, when we returned- Not a deer in sight, and little sign, as it appeared they migrated like hell.

Bottom line? Great earl seasin alpine hunting. Gorgeous country, and made for horses. I just wish I had some..........

MichelD
06-29-2007, 08:17 AM
I went half way to Mud Lake up the Mud Lake Road in the middle of October one time. Camped in an awesome spot, lots of clearcuts and old roads to walk on, but there were no deer there.

We didn't make it to anywhere with access to alpine 'cause my buddy was uncertain how much gas was left in his truck as the gauge was broken and he didn't want to drive any further.

I think the deer were much higher than we were still. It was cold at night but there was no snow yet.

BCBairdo
06-29-2007, 08:27 AM
Have hunted up Relay creek area....steep country but you won't see another soul up there and some smoker bucks....take the spotting scope. Good luck.

rollingrock
06-29-2007, 08:33 AM
I'm going back there this early season too. There're bucks up there. I saw some huge bucks up there last time I was there. However, they were all 3x3s and not allowed to be taken during 4x4 only season. There're a few good spots with walking access only, but the best spots are surprisingly close to civilization.

MichelD
06-29-2007, 09:14 AM
Two hunting buds of mine (who are younger and way tougher than me) hiked way back into Relay a couple years ago and then spent the better part of three days snowbound in their tents in the first week of September.

They saw some big bucks too, they said, but realized they were just too far back in the mtns to pack anything out.

I'd sure like to go though, just to have a look.

rollingrock
06-29-2007, 09:35 AM
Relay is a tough area to hike in for sure. Getting out there with heavy load on the back is really tough and dangerous.

Jelvis
06-29-2007, 07:19 PM
Seth >>> MU 3: 32 <<< Main access to this rugged, beutiful land is via the Bridge River road which leaves the Fraser River 12 km north of Lillooet. About 25 km from this junction the highway swings down to cross the Yalakom River. Straight ahead, a gravel road runs along this river, passable for most vehicles for about 30 kms then 4 by but good mule deer along the ridges above the road. You might want to try it. >> Jelly << again the ridges above the road >> good muley Bucks if you like to hike a little .......

frenchbar
06-29-2007, 07:57 PM
Seth >>> MU 3: 32 <<< Main access to this rugged, beutiful land is via the Bridge River road which leaves the Fraser River 12 km north of Lillooet. About 25 km from this junction the highway swings down to cross the Yalakom River. Straight ahead, a gravel road runs along this river, passable for most vehicles for about 30 kms then 4 by but good mule deer along the ridges above the road. You might want to try it. >> Jelly << again the ridges above the road >> good muley Bucks if you like to hike a little .......

The valley can see a lot of hunting pressure,but like jelvis says if you want to bust your tail andclimb to the top of the steep ridges there are some nice muleys to be had.My dad used to hunt and guide in the valley in the early 60s and said the hunting was unreal then.

horshur
06-29-2007, 09:23 PM
Two hunting buds of mine (who are younger and way tougher than me) hiked way back into Relay a couple years ago and then spent the better part of three days snowbound in their tents in the first week of September.

They saw some big bucks too, they said, but realized they were just too far back in the mtns to pack anything out.

I'd sure like to go though, just to have a look.

I was up there same time--lotsa snow--couldn't actually go where I wanted to--didn't matter, hunting was good anyway--shot a 4 point second day. Very good deer hunting--three years--three bucks within 3 days of the opener--but all shot while backpacking.

oscar makonka
06-29-2007, 10:06 PM

Jelvis Jocko Rocko north river boy, aint it about time you got a new BC hunting guide book to quote from, that ones a quarter century old

rollingrock
06-29-2007, 10:27 PM
Jelvis Jocko Rocko north river boy, aint it about time you got a new BC hunting guide book to quote from, that ones a quarter century old

:mrgreen: Could still be good....

Seth
06-29-2007, 10:33 PM
I was looking at a few areas and the Taylor Creek area looks good. Anyone spent any time in there?

steveo32
07-02-2007, 03:23 AM
Relay creek and being tough;) Man that is only the beginning, you can basically drive to the alpine and walk for miles but it all depends on how far you want to pack a deer, get mattb or kirby to post a story of there 05 muley hunt up there and how far back they went and how far they packed matts buck. you will all laugh at the distences but then he went even farther last year;)

steve

Seth
07-08-2007, 11:32 AM
I can't seem to find Relay Creek on any of my maps. Where abouts is it? North or South of Carpenter?

steveo32
07-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Look up paridise valley that should help you out:wink: Or try up cadwallder valley the back end has lots of alpine and dana and i saw some nice muleys while i was recovering from beaver fever:mrgreen:

steve

frenchbar
07-08-2007, 12:59 PM
I spent the summer up the cadwalleder with dana, and we did see some nice bucks, along with goats. not to much info but glass the alpine in the early season they will still be up high.

steve Hey Stevo,how did ya like Bralorne. spend any time in the claim jumper bar listining to the oldtimers gold stories.definatly some nice country back of cadwalder crk.

MattB
07-08-2007, 01:51 PM
It was decent but not ot many old timers around btu they sure have some cool pics in the gold bridge pub too. some nice rams and alpine muleys.

I think the ministry still has nto sold a stick of timber out of tha cadwalder country i guess it is like a black hole for logging

steve

steveo32
07-08-2007, 01:52 PM
Sorry i was signed in as my brother matt

steve

Brambles
07-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Sorry i was signed in as my brother matt

steve

Seems to be happening quite a bit these days:-D

Anyone have some pictures of the terrain in those there woods?

Seth
07-08-2007, 02:01 PM
[quote=steveo32;164874]Look up paridise valley that should help you out:wink:

Still can't seem to find it. What's the nearest body of water?

hunter1947
07-08-2007, 02:09 PM
I saw a big buck one year at carpenter lake ,it was coming out of the timber about mid way along the lake ,it was a nice 5x5 ,it was on the north side of the lake ,hi way side ,it was late July when i saw it.

Seth
07-08-2007, 02:19 PM
I'm thinking that I might head up on the August long weekend to do a bit of scouting for Sept. 1.

steveo32
07-08-2007, 02:28 PM
find gun lake and folow the paridise valley logging road until you hit relay crk. but as far as i know gun lake is closer. And pictures of the area do a search of mattb and you will see some successful pics of his high alpine mule deer hunt and it shows some good area shots.

steve

mapguy
07-09-2007, 06:30 AM
buddy hunts up that way he saw a world record last year

Husky7mm
07-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Can you draw us all a map to the deer? This bla bla bla is a great way to get an area over hunted.

Brambles
07-09-2007, 09:17 PM
buddy hunts up that way he saw a world record last year

What are the odds??? I seen at least 4 world record animals last year too;)

Seth
07-09-2007, 09:29 PM
Can you draw us all a map to the deer? This bla bla bla is a great way to get an area over hunted.

Yeah, I'll keep that in mind next time you have a question about anything!

Brambles
07-09-2007, 09:46 PM

They're trying to promote one area to take the pressure off a better area. Throwing a lamb to the wolfs to save the flock, so to speak.

You have to ask yourself, if the hunting is so good then WHY are they so liberal with their info:wink: They're trying to take the pressure off Clearwater. You know, everyone on the internet heading up there because they think thats where Dana/Steve/Matt/Greg/Thad are shooting the big buggers. Clearwater has big country, its like finding a needle in a haystack, have you seen all the roads in that area, holey crapola, I wish we had that kind of access in the West Kootenays.

There may be a few guys on the net who are sharp enough to figure out where they hunt, I think I have;) but I ask you this!! Why would you want to go and poach someones hunting spot, do your own homework, find your own spots, makes the reward that much sweeter. Or find some friends that are willing to share the information or invite you along freely. but if guys don't want to tell then thats their right.

Good hunting partners will lie to help protect certain spots, and rightfully so, I wish I had a hunting partner that could, I have one hunting partner that I won't take into any of my special spots anymore. He was telling people where I took him right in front of me, even after I told him to keep his piehole shut, I just threw my hands in the air and walked away...:confused:

Oh ya!!! Plus the area they are giving info on requires a pretty decent hike to get in, and if you get something then it requires a long heavy hike out, and thats with one deer and two guys so with , 2 deer and 2 guys plus all your gear in one trip????. It will cripple you. At that point you have earned it.

wsm
07-09-2007, 10:08 PM
if you want areas you can ask the co's and most times they will help you out. if you already have an area you just cant connect ask the co. you might be suprised

Jelvis
07-09-2007, 10:31 PM
Knowing where a good area is, like Carpenter Lake. is no secret, anyone that hunts mule deer in B.C. knows that area is good. and if they don't. then they are new hunters. After all is said and done, theres more said then done. Knowing the areas good, is one thing only, getting your butt out of the truck and camper is another. Try keeping up with hunters who consistently get mule deer bucks over the score of 150. Area is one thing, hunting the area is another. and what you know about how to hunt a species, is yet another. You could put four hunters in the forest two foot ball fields big in a fenced area with a buck deer and none would see it most of the time. An area the size of 3-32 with that terrain, most guys wouldn't go one half kilometre off the road. IMHO Road hunters need hunting too!

mapguy
07-10-2007, 08:06 AM
i would imagine that theres world record deer all over bc a map with an x might be nice but you need to talk to that willey old buck first he might not cooperate

mapguy
07-10-2007, 08:07 AM
buddy hikes in 3 miles oh did i forget that part

mapguy
07-10-2007, 08:09 AM
Oh yes i forgot if it starts to snow get out quick

steveo32
07-10-2007, 11:15 AM
I am being liberal with the info cause i head north and guide there fore i cant have some fun chasing the deer in the alpine. Giving him this info takes no pressure off clear water cause when they get snowed out of the alpine up relay crk they may as well head else where. All i have to say is good luck and i hope you like walking cause the big boys dont hang out in the first basin but then again maybe any 4 point is big for you :mrgreen:

steve

dana
07-10-2007, 04:14 PM
Brambles,
How are we to mentor the new hunters and increase the hunter numbers if everyone holds onto their info?

Brambles
07-10-2007, 04:42 PM
What I'm going to say may sound harsh dana, hope you or anyone else doesn't take it the wrong way.

I don't go hunting with the specific goals of mentoring people or increasing hunter numbers, I don't hunt for any other reason than my own enjoyment/sport/food and the enjoyment of my family. Sure I teach my friends stuff and don't mind sharing stuff with people but hunting isn't my "cause" its my Sport and Hobbie. And like any sport there is a certain amount of competition. Im not a politician nor a teacher, and I'm certainly not an activist. I don't need a "cause" to survive.

I do what I do and in the end if I did a little mentoring then so be it, but thats not my goal, its just a by product of my good nature. Now i realize that this may sound that I have no good nature but I assure you this is not the case. I admit that I am a little selfish when it comes to my hunting, I'm not a snob about it but I am honest about it.

I'm not adverse to sharing info, but this carpenter lake thread is basically a roadmap to muledeer, its not a little bit of info its basically the whole hunt, just add some hard work and a little luck. So it raises a question, Why are they sharing so much info? and of course I had my theory about it, thats all, just a theory.

I have, and still do ask for advice, but I have said before that I don't want spots to hunt just general hunting info. I feel that sucess is sweeter when you find your own places to hunt, normally I start by picking a place on a map and start hunting, takes years sometimes to get an animal or sometimes no time at all, but thats hunting.

Hopefully I have explained this without sounding like a total ass, probably not, computers!!!!!!

Seth
07-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Once again, an innocent post gets blown out of proportion! It's not as if I was asking for a GPS co-ordinate to someones favorite spot. I simply asked for any info pertaining to the area. Someone then mentioned Relay Creek which I couldn't seem to spot off a map. The Carpenter Lake area is huge, for anyone to think that I and now everyone else is going to flock there because of this one post is rediculous.

Husky7mm, Brambles, I'll make sure to address you personally before posing a question in the future. . . Should there then be guidelines as to what kind of questions can be asked on the site?.

dana
07-10-2007, 05:37 PM
Brambles,
You are totally entitled to your opinion. Hunting is very competitive for some. It isn't just man vs nature, but at times it can be man vs man. Many people have called me an egotistical SOB because I'm a trophy hunter and they take me seriously when I also I have fun on these sites. Fact is, that couldn't be further from the truth. I like to help people out and I like to pass on the passion for the hunt. That is why I post pics all the time. When people see pics of big bucks or other critters, it stirs up the fire and gets them dreamin'. When I was a kid, I always dreamed about monster bucks or bulls, hoping that we might come over the hill and there one would be. We were meat hunters, so normally the first buck to stand still was dropped, but that dream was kept alive every year. My old man would take us to the Koots every summer and we would spend our vacation looking through the spotter and watching big muleys, big billies, big rams, big whiteys, or big bulls. That passion my old man passed on to me, is definately evident in my kids. If I can help other kids get that same passion, by sharing my stories or my pics or by sharing a some info, I will. Info like this thread is good. There are big bucks in all the areas talked about, but realistically, most will take the first legal buck that stands still long enough. This province is huge, and there is good hunting all across it. If the info given out here helps a newbie, then great. That's what it's all about.

JMac
07-10-2007, 05:59 PM
Hey Brambles... .

wsm
07-10-2007, 06:08 PM
dana has helped out a hunter by answering a question. no harm there , if the others dont like it thats just to bad. good on you dana

Brambles
07-10-2007, 06:36 PM
Once again, an innocent post gets blown out of proportion! It's not as if I was asking for a GPS co-ordinate to someones favorite spot. I simply asked for any info pertaining to the area. Someone then mentioned Relay Creek which I couldn't seem to spot off a map. The Carpenter Lake area is huge, for anyone to think that I and now everyone else is going to flock there because of this one post is rediculous.

Husky7mm, Brambles, I'll make sure to address you personally before posing a question in the future. . . Should there then be guidelines as to what kind of questions can be asked on the site?.

Seth

Sorry if you thought that what I said was directed at you, It wasn't. Someone just asked why some guys were being so liberal and drawing excess attention to a certain area, I just gave my theory on why.

The part about poaching someones hunting spots was more in reference to something I read on another thread where a CO talked to some guy from the lower mainland while hunting in Clearwater and the guys said he was there because thats where Dana hunts those big mulies.

Again, I wan't attacking you, I ask my fair share of questions on these forums too.

Brambles

dana
07-10-2007, 06:47 PM
Brambles,
If you look at the map, the areas that were mentioned in this thread are BIG!!! They might be a point in the right direction, but they ain't no 'x' marks the spot. One still needs to hunt their ass off to pull out a big un out of that country. If you think the info is liberal, you obviously have never been to these areas. And no, it isn't a conspiracy to draw people to other areas and away from my areas. I've personally hunted the Carpenter area several times. It's a nice place to hunt. If I was hunting on a budget and lived in the Lower Mainland, it is definately one area I'd be spending some time in.

Brambles
07-10-2007, 07:13 PM
Brambles,
One still needs to hunt their ass off to pull out a big un out of that country.

I agree, in fact thats exactly what I said in my post.

Sorry Seth for Hijacking your post, lets get back to helping this guy with some information, I wish I could help but I can't so, back to you boys...:mrgreen:

BlacktailStalker
07-10-2007, 09:43 PM
Nothing wrong with what Brambles said or Dana said. We all have our reasons, goals and theory and no man can take away from that or say they are wrong for that. If a guy wasnt hunting on a budget lol, where would one hunt Dana ;) You monster mulie slayer you LoL

I love reading everybodys posts. I love the island (van island) I'm stuck on but it sure does interfere with exploring scouting etc. I spend about 4k each year on hunting and another 2-3 (nothing guided on either, hell no) but it is just too time consuming and costly to be able to get to the mainland and scout/hunt for big bucks and find "that" special place at the certai time of the year you need to be there. Each time (6 times now) I have been (usually close to the fraser somewhere between williams lake and cache creek) has been the wrong timing (lack of snowfall to push the deer into their wintering range or too much snow slowing them down and they arent there yet) and I havent been able to find the inbetween spot. It KILLS me as I always want to give that extra effort to get what most people say they want to achieve and really dont Apply themselves enough to get, which is a big mulie in big mulie country. I have seen my share of 160"mulies but havent found that basin/valley/ravine/alpine that holds the big boys and the posts you guys submit, and pictures, keep me going and give me nothing but faith.
It should for everyone else out there too.
Think about all the things you've accomplished in life... Did you have them given to you or did you bust your ass to get them?? Well if you didnt bust your ass you didnt accomplish anything. That being said you need to do the same in this sport. Take each thing you hear/learn on here and take it for what its worth, a general point in the right direction. be thankful of what you learn and be sure to return the favour if a guy really points you in the right way.

I came into the sport of hunting because I thought I would enjoy it, the time outdorors, the people I'd meet and the experiences I'd go through. I knew NOBODY that hunted and had nobody to hunt with. My family thought I was "weird" and I pursued it anyways. Everything I have learned and accomplished aside from my elk hunt last year (thankyou wayne) I taught myself.
Well here I am now, knowing the very little I do , lthe ittle I have accomplished, can say after reading so much I have read over time, that I can relate, or feel like I can relate, to everything or most of everything that people say on here. Dont view what you read here as an impedence on your hunt, intrusion on yoiur spot or a free ticket to get what you want, see it as a boost in confidence or a suggestion and take it all lightly, absorb it for what its worth and if it doesnt help you the way you think it should, then forget it and let it help somebody else in whatever way they may think it does.

rollingrock
07-10-2007, 10:14 PM
Carpenter Lake area is huge. If you spend some time and pay a little more attention every time you drive by, you'll be able to collect good game info without having to be extraordinarily smart. I think I've learnt a lot of stuffs from this site without asking people for specific spot. If someone wants to get into hunting, sure he/she has to do own homework. You can ask people for general directions, but you can't expect people to give out their spots. Be reasonable. This is one of unique features of hunting. That being said, I do share my spots with some people here who helped me, mentored me and pointed me to the right direction.

mapguy
07-11-2007, 07:22 AM
there's nothing more gratifying than starting a new hunter out or pointing them to a decent area the only ones i put on an exact spot are kids and even then nothings garranteed carpenter lake area you really have to work for your deer and the good ones you need a couple pair of hunting boots hehehehee

horshur
07-11-2007, 09:04 PM
I will tell you a funny story that happened in this country--spruce lake wilderness---buddy new to horse packing--hunting mulies in oct--sorta thought he was pretty smart but maybe not so much--anyhow he got lazy and wrapped lead shank around horn of saddle--dropping down into slim crick his riding horse went up, pack horse down, buddy caught in saddle by shank and pack horse hunkers down to make ground pulling buddy's horse over--after all the dust settles--my good friend finaly agrees he's a dumb SOB just like I said.LOL---anyhow--we're glassing some bucks on slope above the crick--I have a set of B&L he has some Tasco's--buddy is not seeing what I can see grabs mine--holy shit there they are--looks through his--****--grabs mine again--shit--Then I see them new binos of his flying through the air against the grand backdrop of mnt's and deep valleys scree slopes and sheep trails down down down. It was a poignant moment in time. LOL. Good Whisky in camp that night:wink:.

Brambles
07-11-2007, 09:51 PM
AHHH Tasco's, nothing better:mrgreen:

Jelvis
07-12-2007, 12:10 AM
Jel says, "You want it simple?" In Mu 3-32, A lake called, Carpenter Lake, do you have a rec atlas? Ah Haa, See where it shows a creek named Gun creek. Yaaaa, where it hits the main road Yaaa, and goes into Carpenter Lake. Yaaa. Really gooood, now stop, look theres a camp spot, see it? Hey, a camp spot, where it looks like lots of people parked before, wow, I wonder why, right by the creek, thats cool Jel. Ya, I know big fella, now park vehicle. Take your gun in hand, gooood, put one foot in front of the other, greaat, and repeat, your a quick learner, now walk across main road, keep putting one foot in front of the other, excellent, so far fellas, now, Walk The Ridges Above The lake, when you see a big typical four point mule deer buck, take good aim, and pull trigger. POW, wasn't that easy. Now a little lesson, look into the water in Carpenter lake, what do you see,( no not that, jeez guy), and why? Old fences, running down into the depths, can you see them? Whoa, da, how cum, Jelvis I mean dats really wierd man, fences with old barb wire, going down under da wodder? Well ya, see the water wasn't that high, before the dam was built. A dam? What dam Jel? Ya, so, since then, the deer stay above the main road now, above Carpenter Lake. Whys that Jel? Cause. No, ah come on Jelly, tell me, tell meeee, pleeeease, why, why? Ok, I will, relax, ok, cause, the deer don't have scuba gear yet. Oh Jel your pulling my legs aren't you? Deer can't swim under water da ha da ha. Can they Jel. can they? Come on, l--ies can you complicate that? lol rotfl lmao

Derek_Erickson
07-12-2007, 12:23 AM
your quite the character eh, northshore folk

Brambles
07-12-2007, 01:23 AM
Jelvis is off his Meds, quick call the doctor.......

Gateholio
07-12-2007, 01:57 AM
The first time I ended up in the Carpenter lake area was when my buddy Jordan and i got back from a hiking trip to a note on our door that said "COME MEET US" and gave vague dirctions. About 1988...

because we went there right away, and we were expecting to meet our (fully stocked) buddies, we had low supplies... we missed them and ended up with virtually nothing , by Mowson Pond, in a lightning storm (Not uncommon for there, I have been in 3 such storms there, since!!

As soon as te weather cleared, we were out in our float tubes, and as sssonas he caught a fish, we sped back to camp and ate it,wit our supplies of one onion and one lemon!!:mrgreen:

Ayway, we fished and ate trout alot for the next 3 days, and found Goldbride and ber..but i digress..

There is lots fo area up there to hunt, but you gotta get a few miles from the truck, or get lucky...

it's not a paradise with bucks standing in line to jump in your truck. Put on you r pack and go hike for aday, you will get into good terrain..Drive around in your truck and you may get lucky. Or not.:mrgreen:

Husky7mm
07-12-2007, 09:35 PM
I'm soooo sorry some people feel they deserve an answer for every queastion they ask, being were all so close and all.
Really I was just trying to get people thinking. It has nothing to do with not wanting YOU to hunt there. THIS SIGHT HAS 3000+memebers and all their friends. I BELIEVE QUESTIOSN LIKE THIS SHOULD BE ANSWERED IN PM ONLY.:idea:An area can only have a certain amount of deer.Kill them all and it will run out and thats juat a fact.
I never had family to teach me how or where to hunt, I figured it out my self. If someone told every memeber at hunting BC to "turn up THIS road and walk THAT ridge and it just happen to draw a map to my hiddy hole I'D BE PISSED.Think of places like gang ranch or rock creek, or pink mountian ect.....( soon to be clearwater)LOL .Full of hunters!!!!!!!!!!!
Im all for hunters helping hunters but I also care about people having a good hunt in areas they PUT IN THERE TIME to figure out. I care about how many animals there will be there next yr. This really has nothing to do with carpenter lake or clear water for that matter. Its about taking your bottom lip and firmly pressing your top lip against it and shutting your pie hole. GGGGreat now your a fast learner. Yaaaaa:razz:

mapguy
07-12-2007, 09:49 PM
whats the point of having a website if were not prepared to share info or offer advice 1000's have gone to carpenter lake area and the big bucks are still there .Ive taken many into my spots and it has never had a serious effect on the deer population . and when it comes to a youngster getting his first buck
geez i'd sit him on a stump and dog it right to him if needed . hunting is about the outdoors and if we can't share it we might as well stay home

Gateholio
07-12-2007, 09:53 PM
Well, Husky, some people believe that a ittle info is not going to hurt anything, since what is really important is who is hunting, and how much effort they want to put in, rather than some "Secret Spot"

I've hunted in that area many times, since it's close to home. sometimes I came home with a deer, more often I didn't. As I said, the bucks arent' lined up on the road, waiting to get shot!:mrgreen:

Husky7mm
07-12-2007, 09:57 PM
If you want to stay home stay home. Once again, really NOTHING TO DO WITH CARPENTER LAKE just discorage RAPPING out an area because of the internet!
If you want to help kid get his first buck go to the famous areas where deer only live to be 1.5 yrs old. Good luck you won't need it.

dana
07-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Gang Ranch, Rock Creek and Pink Mtn eh? Do you think the internet has made these places known to all the hunters of the province? Sorry to burst your small bubble but those places have been legendary for decades upon decades. Heck, Clearwater was has been known as a world class hunting destination since the 40's and 50's. Carpenter Lake? Why do you think there are names like Slaughter Hill? Wanna list off some more? How bout the legendary Nakusp? What about the Monashee Pass? How bout the Fly Hills? How bout Big Lake? How bout the Blackwater? These are all areas that have produced for generations and will continue to produce for generations. The List goes on and on and on. If you think these places are secrets, you've haven't been around very long. Saying these names on the internet does nothing. These are all Big Areas with a ton of escape terrain for the Big Boys to hide out in. Fact is most people who hunt these legendary places get disappointed quite fast when they learn that monsters aren't behind every tree. But, for the diehard who busts their ass, they can be rewarded. Do you have what it takes?

Husky7mm
07-12-2007, 10:13 PM
I understand you need to work for you aniamal in this area.
Dana these "areas" & ECT...................are highly disgust buy EVERYONE. Thats what thy're NOT GREAT ANY MORE. The internet is an example, word of mouth is very strong too. YOU of all people should understand about keeping an area from being over hunted. If you think Im in a bubble you just flapping your gums. Read my post carfully and think about it.

frenchbar
07-12-2007, 10:16 PM
Ive hunted the carpenter lk area for 25 yrs,mainly up high an in the alpine and can honesty say i might have run into a couple other hunters in all that timeand i dont think its going to change because of the internet info.most people i see are bombing around the roads hunting logged blocks.thank god for quads.

dana
07-12-2007, 10:22 PM
Not great anymore eh? Really???? Hmmm, I guess I should stop hunting them then eh?

Husky7mm
07-12-2007, 10:28 PM
The key word is GREAT. An yes you should take off and go find your own honey hole(spot poacher) LFMAO, LOL

Gateholio
07-12-2007, 10:31 PM
I understand you need to work for you aniamal in this area.
Dana these "areas" & ECT...................are highly disgust buy EVERYONE. Thats what thy're NOT GREAT ANY MORE. The internet is an example, word of mouth is very strong too. YOU of all people should understand about keeping an area from being over hunted. If you think Im in a bubble you just flapping your gums. Read my post carfully and think about it.

That is funny...Dana hunts Clearwater, and there are zillions of hunters there every year.:mrgreen:

The reason he does better than most is becuase he gets out of his truck.8)

BCrams
07-12-2007, 10:32 PM
The key word is GREAT. An yes you should take off and go find your own honey hole(spot poacher) LFMAO, LOL

The hunting is still great in these areas!

With increased hunting pressure and people, animals learn to adapt, particularly big bucks. As a hunter, if you can adapt - you'll get onto some great hunting!!

dana
07-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Hmmm, I hunt many of these legendary areas every year. I guess I've been doing it all wrong. Somehow I was led to believe I was having a GREAT time hunting these GREAT AREAS, and I actually thought I was having some GREAT success on some GREAT animals. I guess not. Husky is obviously an GREAT authority on the subject. Maybe I should PM the GREAT ONE!!!:mrgreen:

Husky7mm
07-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Gatehouse, Im sorry I always thought of you as smart, educated and witty. I dont want to argue with you. I dont road hunt either. What is your point. Do YOU know ME.

BCrams
07-12-2007, 10:42 PM
Just because a person doesn't road hunt .... that it means they can get onto big animals.

Gateholio
07-12-2007, 10:46 PM
[QUOTE=Husky7mm;166399]Gatehouse, Im sorry I always thought of you as smart, educated and witty.

You forgot "Good Looking"

I dont road hunt either.

I didn't say you hunted one way or the other. How you personally hunt is irrelevant.

What is your point.

The point is there are tonnes of hunters around where Dana hunts, but since he knows what he is doing, he is more sucessful. The numbers of hunters around Carpenter could double, and there won't be a measurable difference in quality of hunting for those that get off the road, since most of those hunters would road hunt.

Do YOU know ME.

I don't recall ever meeting you, no.

Husky7mm
07-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Husky is obviously an GREAT authority on the subject. Maybe I should PM the GREAT ONE!!!:mrgreen:
Im sorry if you miss understand Im not here to give advise, more to learn it,(please pay atention). Im not for giving information, Im more for keeping it.
Can you imagine next yr when 1800+ hunters STUMBLE around in your area trying to find MNT's sons.:shock: What a $hit show. You put in the time and are a talented hunter. DONT FORGET ABOUT BLIND LUCK IT HAPPENS EVERY YEAR.:idea:

dana
07-12-2007, 10:52 PM
Gate,
I've spent quite amount of time in that whole Carpenter area. It truely amazes me how little hunting pressure is there. I thought being so close to the coast, more guys would flock too it. This isn't the case at all. Why? Because most coastal guys are busy chasing after my so-called Clearwater bucks. Still amazes me to think how many guys assume just because I live here, I must kill all my bucks here.

dana
07-12-2007, 10:54 PM
Husky,
Did you miss the Muley Crazy article? MnT was killed in Alberta.

Husky7mm
07-12-2007, 11:00 PM
I guest they call that a bit of a rope-a dope. The biggest buck i ever shoot was in the chest:-DWhere is the most deer located, " between the head and the a$$.:lol: Nuff said

GoatGuy
07-12-2007, 11:06 PM
Im not for giving information, Im more for keeping it.

:shock: Wow, can't say I've heard that one before.

Oh, now here's a quick edit.

My wife was drawn for bull elk in 4/08 B( lucky girl). I dont know the area at all.Prefer PM for this hunt;-)

Thanks for asking - I know 4 people that have been drawn for this and killed bulls all the way up to the 350 class and brought back some phenomenal video footage.

Since you've been so considerate and helpfull, I think I'll keep the info to myself.

Gateholio
07-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Gate,
I've spent quite amount of time in that whole Carpenter area. It truely amazes me how little hunting pressure is there. I thought being so close to the coast, more guys would flock too it. This isn't the case at all. Why? Because most coastal guys are busy chasing after my so-called Clearwater bucks. Still amazes me to think how many guys assume just because I live here, I must kill all my bucks here.

Oh no!! Now Dana is trying to mislead people, away form Clearwater!! Don't listen, guys, he's trying to decieve you!!:mrgreen:

The whole area is huge, and the hunters are pretty spread out. last time I hunted there I shot a 3 pt in October, and I htink we saw 2 other groups of hunters, both times when we were on the road. Saw noone anywhere else, for 3 days.

Husky7mm
07-12-2007, 11:11 PM
Is that a sin. Whats your point, or were you just trying to help the goat though the tall grass and over the fence?:-D

Husky7mm
07-13-2007, 09:52 AM
[quote=Husky7mm;166367] I BELIEVE QUESTIOSN LIKE THIS SHOULD BE ANSWERED IN PM ONLY.:idea:An area can only have a certain amount of deer.Kill them all and it will run out and thats juat a fact.
I do practice what I preach, please pay attention:razz:

horshur
07-13-2007, 06:29 PM
[quote=Husky7mm;166367] I BELIEVE QUESTIOSN LIKE THIS SHOULD BE ANSWERED IN PM ONLY.:idea:An area can only have a certain amount of deer.Kill them all and it will run out and thats juat a fact.
I do practice what I preach, please pay attention:razz:

Maybe if they were all stupid and allergic to tree's and such. But they are not. If you thought Carpenter was a secret---you have just come up hard too the truth---not really very many secrets left---So are you hunting in Clearwater this fall???

Husky7mm
07-13-2007, 06:47 PM
No thanks, Im sure its agreat area and all, but good spots come and then they get played out. Its a cycle. I was hoping to get people thinking about that. Stop blabbing so to speak. You wont hear me contributing to it......... but this is obviously a lost cause, glad I dont hunt there.

horshur
07-13-2007, 06:56 PM
No thanks, Im sure its agreat area and all, but good spots come and then they get played out. Its a cycle. I was hoping to get people thinking about that. Stop blabbing so to speak. You wont hear me contributing to it......... but this is obviously a lost cause, glad I dont hunt there.

Might need too now--since Carpenter is gonna be overun.LOL.

BCrams
07-13-2007, 07:09 PM
No thanks, Im sure its agreat area and all, but good spots come and then they get played out. Its a cycle. .

Can you provide some specific examples of this as a result of over hunting?

Jelvis
07-13-2007, 07:23 PM
Carpenter Lake, is the best mule deer hunting area I have hunted, if it was closer to home I would hunt between Gun Creek to Relay Creek just above the lake, all the time. It is mule deer habitat like none other I have seen, and that's no bull, I had to say it. It is a pleasure to hunt there, plus the fishing is really good too. You know how I hunted there was with B.C. Safari's I met the guy at his hunting booth at the P.N.E. and went there, I was impressed with the area right from the start. Jelvis

Husky7mm
07-13-2007, 09:10 PM
Can you provide some specific examples of this as a result of over hunting?
OK. I have never been to Pink mountian but...... Most people I talk to that go there say a small town is created every hunting season, lots peolpe very little moose. Usually a lot of the hunters come back with there diks in there hand and thats it. :( Im sure is wasnt always like that.
I hunted in chetwyn twice, nothing. The locals said , check out jack fish , del reo, or stewart lake. What a gong show.A few happy hunters lucked apon a moose, a few drunk's who dont care and the rest of them giving you the dirty eye and thinking oh no, not ANOTHER hunter! People used to flock to region 5, huge havest for YEARS, then one year, moose CLOSED. Overhunted. Sure there are other factors but overhunting is the leader.There more examples from hot areas 20-30- 40 yrs ago, I dont know all the names, just storys and complants from people with more experience than I. Some of these areas are coming back, but for now they need a rest. I'm no expert just observaion and campfire BS

BCrams
07-13-2007, 09:29 PM
OK. I have never been to Pink mountian but...... Most people I talk to that go there say a small town is created every hunting season, lots peolpe very little moose. Usually a lot of the hunters come back with there diks in there hand and thats it. :( Im sure is wasnt always like that.
I hunted in chetwyn twice, nothing. The locals said , check out jack fish , del reo, or stewart lake. What a gong show.A few happy hunters lucked apon a moose, a few drunk's who dont care and the rest of them giving you the dirty eye and thinking oh no, not ANOTHER hunter! People used to flock to region 5, huge havest for YEARS, then one year, moose CLOSED. Overhunted. Sure there are other factors but overhunting is the leader.There more examples from hot areas 20-30- 40 yrs ago, I dont know all the names, just storys and complants from people with more experience than I. Some of these areas are coming back, but for now they need a rest. I'm no expert just observaion and campfire BS

Some of those areas you mentioned indeed are very popular and busy during the season but that doesn't matter. The hunting is great! Especially if you're a hunter with the know how and skill. I'm surprised you've gone to Chetwynd twice with nothing. Super hunting there !!

Pink mountain is a busy place too! And some of the best moose hunting is still to be had despite the numbers of people.

I don't know where the 'overhunting' is coming from and sometimes the campfire banter is best left as campfire banter - there's not a whole lot of truth to them as far as over hunting goes.

dana
07-13-2007, 10:02 PM
Hmmm, 180,000 hunters with GOS back in the early eighties. Now, 80,000 with a ton of LEH and we still have guys that think our record high game pops are being overhunted???? Please, someone tell me where in this great big province of ours, where are the deer herds hurting right now due to overharvest???? Please, someone please tell me, where are the moose pops hurting from over harvest????? Heck, I'd say it's very safe to say the wolves kill way more moose than the misily amount of LEH draws handed out. And yet, the moose pops are doing very very well. Hmmm, overhunting eh? Can't say I know of any areas currently that seem to be overhunted.

Just because a group of guys go somewhere on a trip and they come home skunked don't mean there are no game to be had. Chances are your friends aren't very good at getting the job done is all?

GoatGuy
07-14-2007, 08:24 AM

Pink Mountain has plenty of critters; it's only busy in the early moose season and moose are tough to find in August regardless of where you hunt. Nevermind the fact that 99% of the folks are buzzing up and down the roads. If you can find a spot to get up high and glass you'll be into plenty of critters as long as you're willing to do some work. :wink:

Chetwynd is also chalk full of game, you just have to know where to look. If you're hunting in August - bull moose are tough to come by any place in Canada not just Chetwynd. Last year hunting north of Chetwynd at the end of October was tough because we couldn't find the bulls but the year before when I was up there at the end of October we saw over 30 moose in one day alone - several bulls included. And no it isn't busy in August if you leave the road. August/Sept 2005 in 5 days of hunting we didn't hear or see any other hunters. Saw a couple moose, no whoppers and a pile of elk but not the whopper we were looking for.

I call BS on this - 20,30 and 40 years ago there was no internet and there were also twice the hunters.

dana
07-14-2007, 08:55 AM
Isn't funny how people are? They drive a bizzilion miles up the ALCAN Highway and then won't even get out of their vehicles when they hunt. Then, they bitch and moan when they get skunked and say they area is overhunted. Classic. Hunting is not like going to the grocery store. If it was, then it wouldn't be called hunting. It is amazing how so many people in our modern world have lost touch with the old skills of how to really hunt.

GoatGuy
07-14-2007, 09:04 AM
Isn't funny how people are? They drive a bizzilion miles up the ALCAN Highway and then won't even get out of their vehicles when they hunt. Then, they bitch and moan when they get skunked and say they area is overhunted. Classic. Hunting is not like going to the grocery store. If it was, then it wouldn't be called hunting. It is amazing how so many people in our modern world have lost touch with the old skills of how to really hunt.

Yeah, it's unbelieveable really.

Drive all that way and then they have BIG expectations that there are going to be 50 inchers wondering around the road in August. If they were willing to hike up the hills and find a good spot to glass they'd realize there are moose all over the place.

dana
07-14-2007, 09:20 AM
Isn't it also funny how defensive people get when you say "you ain't going to get the big one out of the cab of your truck." How dare you say that. The classic "I walk all the time" rebutal Blah Blah Blah. And yet, even in the most busy areas that I hunt, like Churn, I rarely ever see anyone pounding the boot leather. Many people see the big bucks that I kill and they think that 'they are all that' and they give ol' Clearwater a try. They jam themselves like sardines in above my house. Vehicles bumber to bumber within the first 4 kms. They see me walking and they roll down the window and say, "See anything? Damn the hunting is the shits eh?" Do I tell them I just saw 60 deer in a matter of 2 hours with several of those being legal 4 points, or do I just say, "Yea, the hunting sure is shitty today."

GoatGuy
07-14-2007, 09:31 AM
Isn't it also funny how defensive people get when you say "you ain't going to get the big one out of the cab of your truck." How dare you say that. The classic "I walk all the time" rebutal Blah Blah Blah. And yet, even in the most busy areas that I hunt, like Churn, I rarely ever see anyone pounding the boot leather. Many people see the big bucks that I kill and they think that 'they are all that' and they give ol' Clearwater a try. They jam themselves like sardines in above my house. Vehicles bumber to bumber within the first 4 kms. They see me walking and they roll down the window and say, "See anything? Damn the hunting is the shits eh?" Do I tell them I just saw 60 deer in a matter of 2 hours with several of those being legal 4 points, or do I just say, "Yea, the hunting sure is shitty today."

Exactly - even in hiking spots. One shot and I hunted an Alpine patch in region 8 a couple years ago and ran into a couple of road hunters on horses - "how's the hunting?" we asked. The reply was "terrible, only got 1 small 4pt in the past week." We saw over 30 bucks that day 10 of which were 4 pts. Thought they were bsing us about the hunting but when we saw their camp they only had 1 squeeker there -not to mention they never got off their horses to glass, were back well before dark in the evenings and never got out until an hour after first light in the mornings.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

dana
07-14-2007, 09:38 AM
Having hunted several backcountry areas with horses in the past, I too, have seen those kinds of horse hunters. People all hunt for different reasons, so I ain't knockin them. But.....why do these people bitch and moan about how shitty the trip was? They have only themselves to blame.
Many on this site think I am Anti-Road Hunting or Anti-Quad. The reality, I could care less how one hunts. I like the fact I rarely see another boot track.

Husky7mm
07-14-2007, 09:54 AM
Dont presume that everyone is a road hunter, our just has no skills. Some times you just can't find a legal animal. I feel LEH's have given better oportunites for hunters in places where the game can't handle a GOS, due to people flocking there and overhunting it. Where I live the area hold lots of game, perticulaly white tails. Come opening season its like some one turned a tap off. Almost every 2.5 yr old deer and down has been turned in to a gut pile. I pass on 20-30 young bucks in the first week or so of hunting and people just come up here and mow them down. Can you imagine how many decent deer would be around if people didnt overhunt the young bucks?

butcher
07-14-2007, 09:55 AM
All right I've had enough. I KNOW WHERE DANA SHOOTS HIS DEER. (some of them anyway) I've been hunting there my whole life. IF YOU WANT TO KNOW PM ME. I WON'T SAY ON THE OPEN FORUM.

If you don't believe me too bad. But I have killed 180 class bucks out of that same spot.

Jelvis
07-14-2007, 09:59 AM
Oh oh The jig is up, truth or consequence. "Buddies gone wild"

GoatGuy
07-14-2007, 10:00 AM
Dont presume that everyone is a road hunter, our just has no skills. Some times you just can't find a legal animal. I feel LEH's have given better oportunites for hunters in places where the game can't handle a GOS, due to people flocking there and overhunting it. Where I live the area hold lots of game, perticulaly white tails. Come opening season its like some one turned a tap off. Almost every 2.5 yr old deer and down has been turned in to a gut pile. I pass on 20-30 young bucks in the first week or so of hunting and people just come up here and mow them down. Can you imagine how many decent deer would be around if people didnt overhunt the young bucks?

Maybe you need a 4pt or better hunting season? Or maybe a 150" minimum?

Jelvis
07-14-2007, 10:07 AM
How come there's so many three points walking around towards the end of the season in 3? Their jumping does too I seen them trying, is it because four points is what a lot of hunters want?

Husky7mm
07-14-2007, 10:08 AM
All right I've had enough. I KNOW WHERE DANA SHOOTS HIS DEER. (some of them anyway) I've been hunting there my whole life. IF YOU WANT TO KNOW PM ME. I WON'T SAY ON THE OPEN FORUM.

If you don't believe me too bad. But I have killed 180 class bucks out of that same spot.
Do tell he doesnt care right? Why PM, I've been taking shit from eveyone for days overthat one.:???: These guys want to hepl everyone, the hills will never run out of aniamls, its all in my head. There is no such thing as overhunting.:confused:

mapguy
07-14-2007, 10:10 AM
hunted most of bc have never been anywhere that other people don't show
up . have even had the locals asking where the moose are doesn't matter how many are hunting an area only certain people connect all the time well maybe most of the time knock on wood it takes knowledge and work to bag an animal and some horseshoes

Gateholio
07-14-2007, 10:31 AM

I odn't know the Clearwater area too well, so I don't know specifically, but here is the obvious (for the November hunting, anyway) :

He isn't that far off a road.

He knows some good ridges around home, drives there, and gets out and hikes and hunts. He keeps telling people this but I think some folks think he has the keys to some secret gate.:mrgreen:

Even when he is out burning down wall tents, they aren't that far from a road, because he had to drive in to burn the wall tent down.8)

Now, "far off" the road varies with people. Some people think that 100 yards is far off (and actually sometimes there is excellent hunting wihtin 100 yards of a road) Some peopel think that far off means a days march.

I guess it's all relative to the terrain and how many roads there are!:mrgreen:

The truth is, the amount of animal sign I've seen when I get a few steps off the is much increased.

dana
07-14-2007, 12:05 PM
If anyone wants to know Butcher's secret stone sheep spots Please PM me. Too many locals talk too much. :twisted::mrgreen::mrgreen: From what I've been hearing around town, all a guy has to do is talk to the CO and he'll tell ya anything that you want to know. Hell, he'll even tell ya where dana hunts. The problem is, he can't be trusted either cause he's about as hard-core as they get. ;)

Gateholio
07-14-2007, 12:08 PM
If anyone wants to know Butcher's secret stone sheep spots Please PM me. Too many locals talk too much. :twisted:

Send me the info, I will send you a case of beer.:mrgreen:

Wasn't there a thread about trading Danas and Butchers secrets for beer some years ago?:mrgreen:

dana
07-14-2007, 12:14 PM
I can tell ya there are only 3 guys that I consider competition in this valley. Butcher is one of them. Horshur is another. We all will sell each other out at a drop of a hat if it will give us the edge to beat the other guys. :) Pretty bad, when your own flesh and blood offers to give up your hidey hole on the internet to the highest bidder. ;)

BCrams
07-14-2007, 12:33 PM
Now why do something like that ...

Jelvis
07-14-2007, 12:53 PM
All is fair in hunting and war. Your buddy there from your area the meat cutter guy, I asked him to pm but it's a no go. So don't have a stroke. Change their mind in a hurry. Oh oh I ummm jeez. Anyway to let you know. Your place is safe for now. Up the Wells Grey road I'm guessing, Candle creek and perhaps Spahats Cr. Thanks for the chatter and put a drive into Sock Lake and Molla L, wouldn't hurt, good luck we'll see ya all soon. What kind of truck would a guy use up there?

butcher
07-14-2007, 02:36 PM
Well I was trying to get Dana to bite and he wouldn't go for it. Good on you Steve. Truth be told I'm not much competition for him any more 'cause i don't have the muley bug like I used to. I even use up some muley season to hunt "dinky dog deer" in Alberta. I DO know where he hunts but I hunt there too and I don't want to screw it up.

Truth be told I'd just as soon be calling coyotes. So if any of you guys have access to some really good uncalled property I might be willing to trade a little info.

Now I don't worry too much about him spilling my sheep spots because there ain't too many guys who know the really good ones. I know I offered to show him and Horshur a good october sheep spot but they didn't take me up on it yet.

Jelvis
07-14-2007, 06:30 PM
So we're all pals again, I guess I gotta work a little harder. What kinda a truck would I be looking to drive up in those neck of the woods?

WoodOx
07-14-2007, 07:21 PM
Probably something with 4 wheel drive? Would be a safe bet? Im sure brand wont make any difference.

Now if you are asking what kind of truck to use, hoping dana or butcher will tell you what they drive, then you follow them - well best of luck :D

Jelvis
07-14-2007, 07:38 PM
You forgot some one. agaucher, one of the three Wells Grey Warriors. butcher. dana and horshur. The Clearwater connection!. One for all and all for one. Guess what truck they would drive by their personalities. Maybe a four wheel drive? Consider gas economy, room, has to have a box to carry moose and deer. Family truck or probably would have a extra car for the family tho. Boat rack? color of paint? I could guess it but I'll let others do that. Those fellas are too smart to fall for any kinda tricks!

WoodOx
07-14-2007, 07:41 PM
A GPS tracking chip could do you wonders, Jelvis.

Jelvis
07-14-2007, 07:49 PM
I wouldn't know what to do I'm not a modern day computer geek type. I would like to see the info on any collar that the ministry would have on mule deer in the North Thompson tho, then you could see where they actually go year round that would be way cool. Imagine having the print out on that to look at.

WoodOx
07-14-2007, 07:50 PM
I have heard a rumor that MOE gave away the GPS number of a collared stones sheep. Smart. It was apparently for tourism purposes, but of course a hunter found and hammered the ram.

Anyone else hear of that example?

butcher
07-14-2007, 08:19 PM
I drive a jacked up Chevy Sprint. Use plastic chains when it snows.

Dana drives a dog sled

todbartell
07-14-2007, 08:24 PM
but its not pulled by dogs, its pulled by his crew of leghumping mulie partners...and one community sheep

http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/%7Eaf380/JamiesHooker.jpg

Jelvis
07-14-2007, 08:28 PM
horshur has a old willys cj with skinny tires and chains, top down, big roll bar with mega options. draggin a little trailer with everything, and the kitchen sink.

horshur
07-14-2007, 09:06 PM
Carpenter lake country and big basin-No jeep access.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/merlin.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/jenny.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/Scan0001.jpg

Danas dog sled
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/poodles20sled20low20qual.jpg

frenchbar
07-14-2007, 09:14 PM
Looks like ya gotcha a well trained little packer horshur .

horshur
07-14-2007, 09:19 PM
Looks like ya gotcha a well trained little packer horshur .

she ain't around anymore.LOL

Gateholio
07-14-2007, 09:28 PM
Horshur, I've been right where you took those pics...As you know, since you were there- There are NO deer there.

Just liek Pemberton:mrgreen:

horshur
07-14-2007, 09:31 PM
Horshur, I've been right where you took those pics...As you know, since you were there- There are NO deer there.

Just liek Pemberton:mrgreen:

No deer and a shitload of hunters.

frenchbar
07-14-2007, 09:34 PM
Seeing the pics with the horses and packs on gets a guy all raring to go ,sept cant come soon enough.liked the pic of her kneeling down for ya. sorry to here shes gone.

horshur
07-14-2007, 10:00 PM
Seeing the pics with the horses and packs on gets a guy all raring to go ,sept cant come soon enough.liked the pic of her kneeling down for ya. sorry to here shes gone.

Here are some more--deer pass--

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/Scan0002-1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/Scan0001-5.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/Scan0004.jpg

Looking towards coast range and headwaters of the taseko river

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/Scan0003-1.jpg

frenchbar
07-14-2007, 10:08 PM
nice pics thanx for sharing.does the little packer need to be led or will it just tag along without any hassels,its sure nice when you dont have to lead them .nice country up that way ,i havent been that far back towards taseko lk,one day i will do that trip .

horshur
07-14-2007, 10:23 PM
nice pics thanx for sharing.does the little packer need to be led or will it just tag along without any hassels,its sure nice when you dont have to lead them .nice country up that way ,i havent been that far back towards taseko lk,one day i will do that trip .

Usually after a little while they don't need to be led--then somtimes after a long while you need to cause they start to get slow--My best mnt horse got a little to smart--he liked to think some bout things--looked for shortcut--once while moving along worlds ridge from the newbie lks he stayed low to avoid the climb--buddy was looooonnngg way from us-- just a dot in the distance--sure came fast when we dived down towards harry LOL. The A frame on south slope in Ashinola had a packbox nailed on wall as a cuboard from a wreck we had with this same horse--come to think of it he bucked ole steve off and tried too kick him in the head once too---good judge of character eh-- I loved that horse.:mrgreen:

BCrams
07-14-2007, 10:26 PM
No wonder why he was telling me he hates horses. Great for hunting but hates them.

frenchbar
07-14-2007, 10:36 PM
ya they have moments all right,ive seen a couple wrecks over the yrs,bent barrels, squashed grub,broken boxes and the like. havent had one in about 20 yrs ,ya sure learn quick after a couple disasters.

Gateholio
07-14-2007, 10:37 PM
Andy, great pics...Awesome...

I don't have a teeny bit of experience wiht horses that you do, but I've been on a number o f horse trips. I found that just when you get to trust the pack horses to follow on thier own, they've been doing it for afew days...They get lazy and leave you. GRR!!!:mrgreen:

Gateholio
07-14-2007, 10:45 PM
Oh yeah..

Apparently, if the guy ahead of you accidently shoots his pack horse in the face with bear spray, it's bad...8)

houndogger
07-14-2007, 11:10 PM
Jeez Andy I thought after pounded nails in there feet all year you would just take old libby up with ya8)

WoodOx
07-15-2007, 12:12 PM
looks like gorgeous country. Ive been on taseko several times, but never up towards carpenter.

Great goats back in there!

steveo32
07-15-2007, 01:12 PM
Andy, steve does not like hosrses cause he is too f-ing short to get in the saddle, awsome pictures keep posting we all knwo you have more:wink:

steve

dana
07-15-2007, 02:52 PM
Horshur,
You got any pics of that hound of yours packin out your 4 point from the Carpenter area from a couple years ago?

Here's some more pics of the Carpenter area from a backpack trip Horshur and I did in 02. We held out for the big boys until the end of our trip. Then we went 3 for 3 on meatbucks. Was a fun 6 days.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Andysbuck2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Mybuck1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/AndyView1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/AndyThad.jpg

BCrams
07-15-2007, 09:27 PM
Horshur,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/AndyThad.jpg

Isn't that Dana behind the middle backpack??

horshur
07-15-2007, 09:46 PM
Since you ask here she is packing meat at twin lakes south chilcotin in the Relay creek basin--lotsa snow--she couldn't work the button to get a pic of me with the buck. Matt and Kirby were in there just a few days before--lucky *******s- snow is almost crotch deep. Sept 11 I think.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/libby_pack.jpg

MattB
07-16-2007, 05:52 PM
Isn't that Dana behind the middle backpack??
LMAO, yea i think i see an ear poking out.

Tron
11-05-2010, 07:24 PM
I just found this old thread. All of the talk was about hunting Carpenter lake in the early season. We are heading there on Wednesday Nov 10th. What can we expect for Weather? Will the alpine still be accessible. We both hike. Will the deer have migrated some were else? We were also thinking of Hunting off of the Pavilion rd. Any suggestions and valued info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

twoSevenO
12-10-2019, 08:09 PM
Well, howd ya do on your trip

.... from 9 years ago :)

wildcatter
12-10-2019, 09:37 PM
I've been in the Yalakom many times, not far from Carpenter Lake and got a nice buck out of there.
Beautiful country, hiked all over the place, even the top of Big Dog.

Steelpulse
12-11-2019, 03:48 PM
Love a good old thread

shot a goat up there couple seasons ago near truax on the south side of the lake.

didn’t see any deer but I was way up top finding goats and not looking for deer

grizz and ptarmigans around though. Saw some moose down low as well