PDA

View Full Version : New boot treatment?

ajr5406
10-18-2016, 08:15 AM
Picked up some Meindl Alaskan Hunters and wonder what to use for boot treatment? I know Meindl recommend their wax product, but what do you guys think is best?

Stew
10-18-2016, 08:18 AM
BgBlkDg has suggested a number of times Obenoufs.
Not sure how to spell (obeneufs)

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
10-18-2016, 07:57 PM
Go to the Hanwag web site.. they have the best advice on how to keep your boots in good shape.

twoSevenO
10-18-2016, 09:31 PM
new boots are already treated. No need to decrease their breathability with additional product. Even says on the tag of my Lowas that they're good to go out of the box.

BgBlkDg
10-18-2016, 09:45 PM
No offence, but, I strongly disagree with this and I treat ALL my boots with Obenauf's HD LP thoroughly before wearing them out of the house. I treat 1-2-3 times per year thereafter depending on uses and ambient conditions and I wear highend hikers-mountain boots every day, all day due to damaged legs from accidents.

One pair of Scarpas, I wear very often is now 15+ years old, soon to get the third set of Vibram soles and has been on quite a few hunting and trekking trips, including on horseback and in snow. Nothing I have used in more than 55 years of wearing good boots has ever equaled Obie's and it works on GT boots, Nubuck, split leathers and both roughout and smooth FG leather.

Warm your boots, when new, warm the Obie's and work as much in as you can.....DO NOT warm boots ANY hotter than your skin can handle due to contemporary construction methods/materials.

twoSevenO
10-18-2016, 10:30 PM
No offence, but, I strongly disagree with this and I treat ALL my boots with Obenauf's HD LP thoroughly before wearing them out of the house. I treat 1-2-3 times per year thereafter depending on uses and ambient conditions and I wear highend hikers-mountain boots every day, all day due to damaged legs from accidents.

One pair of Scarpas, I wear very often is now 15+ years old, soon to get the third set of Vibram soles and has been on quite a few hunting and trekking trips, including on horseback and in snow. Nothing I have used in more than 55 years of wearing good boots has ever equaled Obie's and it works on GT boots, Nubuck, split leathers and both roughout and smooth FG leather.

Warm your boots, when new, warm the Obie's and work as much in as you can.....DO NOT warm boots ANY hotter than your skin can handle due to contemporary construction methods/materials.

No offence to you ... but you're living in the past. Things have changed. They are all good to go out of the box. Just like all new gore-tex jackets don't require any DWR treatment to start. Water beads off out of the factory. Applying extra product on top of what already has been applied from the factory probably just reduces breathability.

Here it is straight from the Lowa booklet that came with my Tibet GTX:

A good shoe deserves good care! Balanced and regular care has a considerable effect on the wearability and lifespan of your shoes. The following tips apply to mountain and trekking shoes in particular, but they can in principle be extended to all other shoes:

1. Newly purchased footwear requires no additional treatment before the first outing. It is advisable to "refresh" the impregnation.

Then number 4 talks about the impregnation needing to be done after they are damp following a cleaning etc etc ... Though, if you are using a wax type sealer then it's obviously better done when they are dry and warmed up.

BgBlkDg
10-18-2016, 11:05 PM
I bought my latest pair of highend boots last June or July, Hanwag Yukons with the leather lining I prefer and currently own and wear climbing/hiking boots by Meindl, Scarpa, 2 pairs, Galibier, Kastinger, Hanwag and have owned most other Euro. and North American makes.

The "waterproofing" or "treatment" Lowa's instructions refer to is the spray "wax" which is very nice and lasts from a couple hours in BC rain to maybe 10 minutes in snow and/or mud.

Lowa, has always been one of THE boot makers and I have experience with them from 1970 until I retired in 2001. However, while I will not get into personal arguments here, my opinions are based on facts and are up to date.

As to GT jackets, I bought the first of many in 1978 and did not ever spray anything on them then and now. I "graduated" to eVent several years ago, found it much superior to any GT I have used (lots) and then Neoshell about 3.5 years ago, the best I have ever used.

I wear my ID custom eVent jackets still and they perform as Evan Jones told me they would, but, my Westcomb APOC is far superior after three winters of nearly daily use in our "lovely" climate.

YMMV, my Zamberlan leather lined boots now on my feet are 4+ years old, treated with Obie's and also need their third soles, yet, the uppers are like new and this is, IMO, due to correct use of the Obie's.

twoSevenO
10-18-2016, 11:30 PM
no one's saying it's harmful to do it .... just like waxing a car you waxed a week ago. is it harmful? no. Is it the best use of your time a week later? probably not.

How do you like the leather lined boots?

I have never owned a pair, simply because i haven't found anyone that carries them. However, i do wear dress shoes for work and can't stand anything but leather lined shoes. My feet get hot and sweaty unless they are leather lined .... Though i haven't noticed it with hiking boots. probably because the thicker wool sock helps wick better than a thin dress sock.

brian
10-19-2016, 09:31 AM
Applying extra product on top of what already has been applied from the factory probably just reduces breathability.

I doubt it... Chrome tanned leather isn't all that breathable to begin with. You loose whatever breath-ability is left the moment you put water treatment on it. Putting more treatment on won't reduce it much less than it already is.

604Stalker
10-19-2016, 10:21 AM
Rendered bear fat works well :)

adriaticum
10-19-2016, 10:31 AM
Mink oil is what I use

Squamch
10-19-2016, 12:32 PM
I use snowseal on my work boots and lowas. As long as it's not a petroleum based product that's going to melt your boots apart, you should be good.

Zedbra
10-19-2016, 05:43 PM
I'm a big fan of Obenauf's as well - I use it on all my leather that gets used: slings, sheathes, boots, you name it. It made my 70 year old K31 sling feel like new leather again - great stuff.

digger dogger
10-19-2016, 06:21 PM
I use Obenauf's also.
Recommended by The Dewd, Dewey. About 5-6yrs ago.
I've heard bear fat, mink oil, rots the stitching.
I used to use sno-seal, Obeneuf's lasts longer, i think.

ajr5406
10-20-2016, 08:23 AM
Great input - thanks all. Where can you buy Obenauf's in the lower mainland?

adriaticum
10-20-2016, 08:43 AM
Where does one find this Obenauf thing?

TARCHER
10-20-2016, 09:53 AM
check cabelas.ca. I ordered mine a few years back direct from Obenaufs state side

adriaticum
10-20-2016, 10:26 AM
check cabelas.ca. I ordered mine a few years back direct from Obenaufs state side

Cool thanks, I found it.

mike31154
10-20-2016, 07:39 PM
How about
Dubbin?

BChunter
10-20-2016, 08:32 PM
I applied NIKWAX on my Meindles in the summer twice. It dries and penetrates so well I mountain hunted 6 days, then elk hunted another week and they never allowed in water even walking through creeks half way up the laces. Try to beat that! I only use these boots for hunting so they dry well and I hand spread two coats. Enough said,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

BChunter
10-20-2016, 08:43 PM
more,,,,, I have used boot coatings for over 35 years on heavy leather boots for outdoor work. Daytons, Pierre Paris, Vibergs and Vasque.
Dubbin, Mink Oil and Neats foot oils all soften leather. They are good for that but not water repellency. It has to be a wax base. Take the laces out and really coat the instep and sewn seams and along the soles. Allow to dry for "days". Very happy with my Meindles and Nikwax. hope this helps, I hate wet feet too.

IronNoggin
10-21-2016, 01:18 PM
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0340/4253/products/IMG_8990_1024x1024.jpg?v=1443130349

A 100% natural all season boot care preservative.
Contains long lasting bees wax/propolis suspension with anti-bacterial properties.
Will not soften leather or rot stitching.
Preserves and protects against moisture, mildew, bacteria and salt.
Compatible for all Goretex and Sympatex footwear.

Citori54
10-21-2016, 02:18 PM
I believe that the Viberg product is actually Obenhauf with the Viberg label which is a good thing as it is a great product. I use it on my leather/non Gortex boots only though. On my Gortex boots I use Nikwax and very happy with it.

Iltasyuko
10-21-2016, 08:40 PM
Nikwax waterproofing wax/cream works well.

http://www.nikwax.com/en-ca/products/productdetail.php?productid=572&itemid=-1&fabricid=-1