PDA

View Full Version : Where to go?

bmynbr
10-17-2016, 08:59 PM
Hey there, I went for my first hunt Oct 1-2. Saw lots of Does but no bucks. We were hunting 8-3. Unfortunately my father in law decided to take a trip to California for the rest of the year instead of taking me out again. lol. So I am heading out Friday night with my 7 year old, and we are going to sleep in the truck and get an early start. not sure how much hiking he is going to want to do, so I was wondering if anyone would point me in a direction that we could do some truck hunting, and a little hiking. I live in Surrey, and would like to keep it within 3-4 hours from home.

Thanks guys,
Dave

Busterpayton54
10-17-2016, 09:17 PM
The hills south east of Brookmere look very promising.

edit... Had to look at my track to get more specific... The areas between thynne lake (just north of tulameen) and Allison lake(on the #5 about 30km north of Princeton) and northward including Thalia and lodewick lakes. Thalia has some great wilderness camp sites.

theres a lot of back country roads up there, and it's great country to walk. if nothing else, you and the kid will just love the terrain.

we did a big loop from our site on Thalia, south to manning creek, east on an old dirt road paralleling manning creek for about 10km to newish fat road going north, took that road for about 12km to a fork.. Right goes to the #5 about 2km away, left loops back to Thalia on an old dirt road about 8km away. This takes you past lodewick lake along the way.

all of it can be done in a regular 4wd truck.

Also so if you hike north beyond Thalia on an atv trail, there's a fork, left eventually comes out on the tulameen fsr, right goes to an amazing old abandoned cabin. It really must have been something in its day. I'm suspecting a very succeful rancher, hunting guide or some movie star that passed. Living there, on the lake, with that view, in that old cabin... To die for.

i crammed my Toyota through the trail but I'm special. The trail loops around the lake past the cabin.

Whonnock Boy
10-17-2016, 09:35 PM
Ya... you can go in there and travel all the way through to the 5A I believe. Tons of area.

The hills south east of Brookmere look very promising.

bmynbr
10-18-2016, 07:35 AM
Awesome thank you, should be fun times exploring.

Fella
10-18-2016, 08:17 AM
Hey good on ya for bringing your kid out with you. I got my love of the outdoors from exploring back roads with my dad in our old Aerostar van. We'd look at forestry maps, find a lake out in the boonies that we wanted to fish and then go try to find it. That old cam went through cross ditches like a champ!