PDA

View Full Version : feels awesome!

DeepJeep
10-17-2016, 11:22 AM
Well, I finally did it. I shot my first grouse. Actually first anything. I know it's not much and people have harvested grizzlies and wolves but it felt amazing. I cleaned her at the spot by stepping on the wings and pulling at the legs. Got kind of weird to touch a dead bird but quickly got over it. Cleaned out the breast and legs. Now I know why people don't take legs. Before leaving for my hunt I grabbed a cooler and threw some ice in it. I have never done that before. Don't know why I did it yesterday but it was put to use :)

I was actually out deer hunting but I couldn't pass on this grouse. Went back to deer hunting but was distracted due to my excitement. Just wanted to go home and cook it. Anyways, after putting in my time at my spot I went home and cooked it for dinner.

Feels good.

some pics and a video :

View My Video (http://tinypic.com/r/2v0kisp/9)

http://i63.tinypic.com/4ieasp.jpg
http://i64.tinypic.com/2hmdeg6.jpg
http://i68.tinypic.com/ve2l2b.jpg
http://i66.tinypic.com/mh9isk.jpg

wideopenthrottle
10-17-2016, 11:26 AM
yum yum...looks awesome....nice to get a meal out of the trip at least

albravo2
10-17-2016, 11:32 AM
Awesome! Good for you.

You have now connected the dots all the way from planning a hunt to eating a dinner from your hard work.

It is both humbling and exhilarating, right?

Bugle M In
10-17-2016, 11:39 AM
There ya go....good job.
Was it tough eating?
I was told to only shoot Males, especially when it come to Ruffed/Franklins.
Anyways, congrats, looks like you did a good job preparing it.

DeepJeep
10-17-2016, 11:43 AM
Thanks guys..
it was chewy. A co worker told me to boil it first. I like that idea and will try it next time. It still wasnt bad by any means. Breast was tender but legs were tough muscle fibers. And the leg bones are really brittle.

As albravo mentioned, it was humbling. I stared at the dead grouse for a minute, looked at the head, the eyes, the feathers and just admired it and felt VERY thankful to nature. Great experience.

albravo2
10-17-2016, 11:47 AM
I've never heard anyone recommend boiling food before cooking it... perhaps a marinate?

Remember, most people overcook game meats and that will make it tough for sure.

I typically cube my grouse and throw it into a stir-fry or a curry. The other ingredients lend a bit of moisture.

I'm getting hungry just writing this...

.264winmag
10-17-2016, 01:13 PM
Same as all game aging helps tenderize, a week in the fridge works great. Slice into strips and bread/fry HOT and short, or LOW and long. Good flavour either way, congrats on your first kill she's a beaut!

Glenny
10-17-2016, 01:16 PM
Thanks guys..
it was chewy. A co worker told me to boil it first. I like that idea and will try it next time. It still wasnt bad by any means. Breast was tender but legs were tough muscle fibers. And the leg bones are really brittle.

As albravo mentioned, it was humbling. I stared at the dead grouse for a minute, looked at the head, the eyes, the feathers and just admired it and felt VERY thankful to nature. Great experience.

Most just take the breaststeses. Grouse get tough if cooked too long. try flour egg warsh then the spiced flour again and deep fry for a minute. (Strips) serve with fav dip sass.

Bugle M In
Maybe an "Englishman" can tell us.
I'll google it, but somewhere I heard you hang the bird for 4 or 5 days, not sure if you were supposed to gut it or
not (can't imagine not gutting it however), but just what I was told when I was young.
I may have my facts wrong and have forgotten it all......OA (old age)

AgSilver
Maybe try a dry (or even wet) brine next time. I did that with my last grouse, but then forgot and seasoned it again before sous viding so it was salty as all get out. Woops!

The one I picked up a couple of weeks ago is in the freezer...gonna sous vide that one, too...with a shorter dry brine this time.

Linksman313
10-17-2016, 01:27 PM
Way to go , congrats on your first bird, that Buck is waiting just around the corner for you!!
P.S. Nice grouse rifle setup

DeepJeep
10-17-2016, 01:33 PM
thanks guys..i'll clean it up next time and keep it in the fridge. I quickly checked up recipes online before cooking it and they seemed pretty extensive. I think I may have cooked it for too long. Still got a dinner out of it though.

receip was: melted butter, rosemerry, oregano, lime concentrate, little bit of soy sauce, black pepper, pinch of salt, little bit of ketcup to get that sweet/sour taste. turned out to be ok...

DeepJeep
10-17-2016, 01:34 PM
Linksman313, I am determined to get a deer this year. At least try my best.

Ryo
10-17-2016, 01:37 PM
I eat the breast of grouse medium - 3 minutes a side, tops. Still pink in the middle. Definitely not tough when cooked like this! Snowshoe hare I'll cook all day however.

A lot of people, myself included, are comfortable with eating hunted birds less well-done than domestic ones (I also eat my venison medium to medium-rare). You can do your own research to decide where you fall on the topic. Lots of people don't know that there is even the possibility of eating birds rare, due to our domestic poultry guidelines.

DeepJeep
10-17-2016, 01:39 PM
interesting... I was nervous of eating it rare and I love medium rare meat.

I eat the breast of grouse medium - 3 minutes a side, tops. Still pink in the middle. Definitely not tough when cooked like this! Snowshoe hare I'll cook all day however.

A lot of people, myself included, are comfortable with eating hunted birds less well-done than domestic ones (I also eat my venison medium to medium-rare). You can do your own research to decide where you fall on the topic. Lots of people don't know that there is even the possibility of eating birds rare, due to our domestic poultry guidelines.

dustybeat
10-17-2016, 02:04 PM
BBQ for a couple minutes a side and a little pink never killed no one. At least not to my knowledge haha

10-17-2016, 02:23 PM
Congrats! Grouse hunting is FUN! For your next grouse, simply brine the breast overnight in salt water with a touch of vinegar and it will be moist and tender. Alternatively, you can also brine it overnight in Coca Cola....amazing

caddisguy
10-17-2016, 02:35 PM
Great pictures! I really need to spread the wings next time I take a photo.

I tried the legs for the first time this weekend. No bad at all!

Congrats on the grouse! I am sure it will be the first of many. Shooting gross never gets old or less tastey IMHO.

todbartell
10-17-2016, 02:36 PM
I stared at the dead grouse for a minute, looked at the head, the eyes, the feathers and just admired it and felt VERY thankful to nature. Great experience.

this is great. Enjoy life and good luck moving forward on future hunting adventures

cheers

DarekG
10-17-2016, 02:45 PM
Great job!
We have the exact same .22 setup, what an awesome little rifle hey? Deadly accurate for a .22 as well!

You never forget your first kill, no matter how big or small.

DeepJeep
10-17-2016, 03:05 PM
great tip and easy enough to follow. thank you... Since it was the first time I was eating grouse I wanted to have it immediately.
Congrats! Grouse hunting is FUN! For your next grouse, simply brine the breast overnight in salt water with a touch of vinegar and it will be moist and tender. Alternatively, you can also brine it overnight in Coca Cola....amazing

DeepJeep
10-17-2016, 03:07 PM
The rifle is awesome. And didn't break the bank either. Came with the scope and is perfect for small range shooting.

Great job!
We have the exact same .22 setup, what an awesome little rifle hey? Deadly accurate for a .22 as well!

You never forget your first kill, no matter how big or small.

DeepJeep
10-17-2016, 03:07 PM
thank you.

Great pictures! I really need to spread the wings next time I take a photo.

I tried the legs for the first time this weekend. No bad at all!

Congrats on the grouse! I am sure it will be the first of many. Shooting gross never gets old or less tastey IMHO.

Harvest the Land
10-17-2016, 03:25 PM
Awesome job Deep Jeep. Is there anything more amazing than experiencing the whole process through from start to finish?

Congrats!

DeepJeep
10-17-2016, 03:47 PM
absolutely it was!

I just added a video I made. The grouse was really calm and was at the edge of the road and I took my sweet time to get everything set up. the phone was inside the truck on the dashboard.

Awesome job Deep Jeep. Is there anything more amazing than experiencing the whole process through from start to finish?

Congrats!

wideopenthrottle
10-17-2016, 04:17 PM
absolutely it was!

I just added a video I made. The grouse was really calm and was at the edge of the road and I took my sweet time to get everything set up. the phone was inside the truck on the dashboard.

it often works for grouse but dont expect to road hunt deer like that....heheheheh

two-feet
10-17-2016, 07:01 PM
I slice up the breast and add it to chili.

Phreddy
10-17-2016, 07:08 PM
I'll google it, but somewhere I heard you hang the bird for 4 or 5 days, not sure if you were supposed to gut it or
not (can't imagine not gutting it however), but just what I was told when I was young.
I was a kid in the '50s an old Englishman down the road used to hang pheasants, fully intact, on a post outside his door. When the body fell of the head he then prepared and ate it. It's an old English method.

Skull Hunter
10-17-2016, 07:09 PM
I just slice up the breast and make a stir-fry with some veg and some seasonings. Congrats on your first harvest!

scoutlt1
10-17-2016, 07:19 PM
Great post and pics!

Last few years it's been hard to resist cooking up grouse at camp the same day they're shot. I like to cut thin slices, season with spices (your choice/preference, I like Montreal steak seasoning), heat up some oil (nice and hot) in the pan, add the meat, throw in some butter and cook just until done. Careful not to overcook.

Probably the tastiest appetizer ever!

Congrats.....and welcome to the nightmare!! :)

SSG-man
10-17-2016, 07:20 PM
Definitely hang for a day or 2 in cooler temperatures.

I like to quick fry in bacon with the fat, searing the meat first really hot. Also don't slice the breast open like that, it lets all the juices out when frying or roasting.

HarryToolips
10-17-2016, 07:27 PM
Congrats on your first harvest, it is a good feeling....I find the leg meat worthwhile, makes the harvest a little more satisfying, there is also part of the gizzard that's edible, its actually the most tender and tastiest part of the bird I find..

elch jager
10-17-2016, 07:28 PM
Hey Deep... Glad to see you popped your cherry. Give me a call if you are in Kelowna this week. I am going back to our spot to kill that WT doe tomorrow evening. Got one in region 4 last week.
S

DeepJeep
10-17-2016, 07:47 PM
Hey Deep... Glad to see you popped your cherry. Give me a call if you are in Kelowna this week. I am going back to our spot to kill that WT doe tomorrow evening. Got one in region 4 last week.
S

Hey Steve,
I was thinking about sending you pics directly. I am coming to kelowna tomorrow. Will be there by 4pm latest i think. I'll give you a call when I am close. i am planning on hitting the same spot lol. I can get there directly and meet you there. Bought a truck recently so accessing spots is not a problem.

talkto you soon.

LupieHunter
10-17-2016, 07:48 PM
Great job! Next grouse try doing it shake n bake, absolutely delicious!

DeepJeep
10-17-2016, 07:49 PM
interesting ideas. Ill definitely wait a bit to cook it next time.

elch jager
10-17-2016, 08:27 PM
Perfect. I'll walk you through field dressing a larger aminal...
You can shoot any deer 'cept a mulie doe in 8-10 right now. Assuming you also picked up an appropriate centrefire... otherwise you only get to watch.

Brambles
10-17-2016, 08:37 PM
I always debone the breast...fried with seasoning salt and rosemery in olive oil....then let it sit with the lid on in its juices till its cooled a bit......delicious...

.264winmag
10-17-2016, 08:59 PM

Ole man used to say hang em but the neck until the body falls off LOL

DeepJeep
10-17-2016, 09:53 PM
Perfect. I'll walk you through field dressing a larger aminal...
You can shoot any deer 'cept a mulie doe in 8-10 right now. Assuming you also picked up an appropriate centrefire... otherwise you only get to watch.

Steve, I Picked up a 30-06 and have been practising with it at the range. Talk to u tomorrow.

Looking_4_Jerky
10-18-2016, 07:02 AM
Deepjeep,

Congrats on the grouse! Killing game is bittersweet. The hunt is satisfying, but it's always sad for me to walk upon an animal and know I'm the reason for its death. I find it's not bad with grouse, but walking up to downed large game can be tough. I get through it by distancing myself from the thought for a while. A chunk of fried tenderloin help ease the pain too!!

Pretty sure your grouse was a female Spruce. Many people find Spruce grouse quite strong in flavor and don't really care for them. You should attempt to find a Ruffed grouse or a Blue grouse and try them. They are more mild and the breasts are light meat as opposed to the Spruce having a dark breast. As a bonus, they're also bigger than Spuce, especially the Blues, which can get quite large!

Have fun out there!

panhead
10-18-2016, 08:41 AM
I like my breasts dressed ... congrats
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are those who know the price of everything, and the value of nothing.

DeepJeep
10-21-2016, 10:42 AM
thanks all.