PDA

View Full Version : edge clarity in binos

twoSevenO
10-15-2016, 01:38 PM
After buying a Razor spotting scope this year i realized how much of an improvement i need to make in my binos. I've been using Vortex Diamondbacks since 2009. They've served me well, but want something better for next year.

Leica Trinovid hd, Zeiss Conquest HD, Vortex Viper/Razor are some of the ones on the short list so i went to check them out at Wholesale.

I was surprised to see that the edge sharpness of all of them was really not as good as i had expected from binos that are $1000+. I put them up and read letters on the label of a propane bottle. But when i moved the binos up to read the label using the edge of the glass i couldn't make out the letters on any of the binos. The razor did seem a little better than the rest.

One of the biggest improvements i noticed in my new Razor HD spotting scope was the clarity of image at the edges ... so i had hoped to see the same in these binoculars as well.

Am I being unreasonable?

Blockcaver
10-15-2016, 02:44 PM
That is where Swaro EL HD Swarovision (10 x 42 in my case) are tops as they are clear right to the edge with their field flattner lenses. My 13 yr old ELs are not as good near the edge......more like what you are experiencing in tyhe binos you mention. They are also expensive.....by a factor of 2X over your stated binos.

sako79
10-15-2016, 02:58 PM
X2 on the Swarovski. But mine are 10x32 el swarovisions. So glad I bought these brand new for $1,300

HarryToolips
10-15-2016, 04:50 PM
I'm happy with my Zeiss Conquests...

knothead
10-15-2016, 05:26 PM
I'm also happy with my Conquests, slightly better I think than the Vortex though they were a little more money new, I bought mine on Clist for a grand.
Well worth the money in my opinion.

twoSevenO
10-15-2016, 06:33 PM
they were all head and shoulders above my diamondbacks, there's no question about that. It's just that i expected the edges to be clearer on a pair of binos that were above $1000. Perhaps im expecting much. I should have compared Leica Ultravids or the Zeiss Victory to the group listed above. I may go back and do that comparison to see.

Sharpish
10-15-2016, 09:01 PM
Remember $1000 bins are barely even mid-grade. Swarovision and the like are alpha glass and cost 2-3 times as much.

ljalberta
10-15-2016, 09:08 PM
If you get a chance, try out a pair of the Meopta Meostar HD or if you can still find them, the rebranded Cabela's version - Cabela's Euro HD. They're right around the $1200 mark usually I believe, and pretty tough to beat the glass in that price range. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.

twoSevenO
10-16-2016, 02:24 AM
Remember $1000 bins are barely even mid-grade. Swarovision and the like are alpha glass and cost 2-3 times as much.

It's funny that we live in a world where $1000 is considered childs play for a pair of binoculars.

Anyways, you're right .... but i'd still expect the $1000 pair to blow my $300 diamondbacks out of the water in every aspect, including edge clarity. But honestly, they didn't. The edge clarity was really not that much better than my diamondbacks. I have to say, i was rather disappointed.

Weatherby Fan
10-16-2016, 02:53 AM
It's funny that we live in a world where $1000 is considered childs play for a pair of binoculars.

Anyways, you're right .... but i'd still expect the $1000 pair to blow my $300 diamondbacks out of the water in every aspect, including edge clarity. But honestly, they didn't. The edge clarity was really not that much better than my diamondbacks. I have to say, i was rather disappointed.

Optic quality today is amazing even in some lower line models, I had bought a cpl pairs of MINOX BL 10x42 (made in Germany model) binoculars and surprisingly great optics for $250 cdn

I use a pair of 10x42 Leicas and by all accounts looking through both by day you couldn't tell them apart, but glassing a bedded doe one evening as it got dark the Minox lost that deer and you could see it no problem with the Leicas well into dusk !
The other thing will be the quality in the build which we don't see from the outside, and finally extended viewing time you don't get eyestrain or headaches ........go with the Leica or the Zeiss

boxhitch
10-16-2016, 04:58 AM
What amazes some is childs play to others

For best reviews on optics, go to a birder site and maybe be surprised at which binos are top rated.
Birders are a huge market and focus on optics, unlike hunting sites that discuss packs, rifles, camo, boots scents etc. etc. ad nauseam

ie birding-binoculars.net/reviews
beware of the 'professional' reviewers

Boner
10-16-2016, 05:40 AM
I've got an itch for new glass too. Maybe next year.

I agree with twoSevenO. I expected better out of my binocs but after reading others experiences, I have to pay a lot more to get what I want to have edge clarity.

Comerade
10-16-2016, 08:21 AM
I have swarovski 8x20 compacts,minox 10x43 hpo (their best) and new vortex compact spotting scope and feel these three work well for me. I am surprised how good the Razor spotting scope works for me. Vortex,is not quite the quality as the others...but is the best value imo

boxhitch
10-16-2016, 12:49 PM
I have to pay a lot more to get what I want to have edge clarity.Look for BAK-4 prisms instead of BK-7, big step in the right direction. Nikon uses them, not in Diamondbacks

twoSevenO
10-16-2016, 04:47 PM

I agree with twoSevenO. I expected better out of my binocs but after reading others experiences, I have to pay a lot more to get what I want to have edge clarity.

yeah, that seems to be the case. I was disappointed in how little improvement in edge clarity binos that were $1000 more than mine offered. I will have to go back and compare at twilight and see if they make up in low light enough to warrant a thousand dollar upgrade.

Which ones do you have? Which ones are on your short list?

The Hermit
10-24-2016, 09:51 PM
What amazes some is childs play to others

For best reviews on optics, go to a birder site and maybe be surprised at which binos are top rated.
Birders are a huge market and focus on optics, unlike hunting sites that discuss packs, rifles, camo, boots scents etc. etc. ad nauseam

ie birding-binoculars.net/reviews
beware of the 'professional' reviewers

Yep check out KOWA Genesis binos... and call me if you want a quote. Like all US based pricing they have gone up a lot in price but still a great value at any money especially against Swaros etc. Same quality for a lot less.

donny.brooke
10-25-2016, 06:04 AM
If you want sharp clear images to the edge of your field of view only the swaro el swarovision will do that for you. Nothing else even comes close.

.264winmag
10-25-2016, 06:42 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?131777-Fs-swarovski-10x42-el-swarovision-binoculars

They are unreal, best investment I've ever made. Zero eye strain and spot game damn near in the dark. Out the sat morning and threw them up in my spot at 06:45, BOOM deer a 1000 yds away. Weekend warriors hadn't even started rolling in yet and I had 12 deer glassed up before 07:00.
Haven't tried em all, but I doubt there's much better.
Stunning glass...

300rum700
10-25-2016, 07:18 AM
Leica Hd glass is cleaner and crisper than swaro.

HighCountryBC
10-25-2016, 07:21 AM
Bird watching forums are probably the best places to get reviews on optics. Here's a great link to an in depth review. Done on 8x42's but translates to the larger magnifications as well.

http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2012highendbins/chart_2012.html

.264winmag
10-25-2016, 07:30 AM
Leica Hd glass is cleaner and crisper than swaro.

Not to my eyes, but my eyes ain't what they used to be. Need all the help I can get HA

300rum700
10-25-2016, 04:33 PM
Not to my eyes, but my eyes ain't what they used to be. Need all the help I can get HA

Swarovski Hd glass brings out yellows and greens which makes the glass appear brighter and let more light in, and it does. But, if you compare them side by side in hunting conditions and not from a front counter in a store you'll see the color contrast and crispness of the leica glass is much better.

Blockcaver
10-25-2016, 04:58 PM
I've got two pair of Swaro and three pair of Leica binos. The Leicas are not "much better" as
stated above. Actually I think the Swarovision ELs have a slight edge. Everyone's eyes are different though so what I see may not be what you see! The Leicas are excellent, or I wouldn't own them. And this
is under field conditions.

.264winmag
10-25-2016, 09:31 PM
Swarovski Hd glass brings out yellows and greens which makes the glass appear brighter and let more light in, and it does. But, if you compare them side by side in hunting conditions and not from a front counter in a store you'll see the color contrast and crispness of the leica glass is much better.

Tried my buddies leicas last season side by side with the swaro's, definitely not as bright in low light. Wasn't much for colour to really compare as it was late fall, crispness not quite sure but brighter is crisp to my eyes and swaro wins. His were the range finder model, maybe something to do with it?

Ourea
10-25-2016, 10:55 PM
Most of my encounters with quality animals are at first light and the last few minutes of legal shooting light. Having said that.......

When it comes to optic brand and model separation, in regards to performance, low light is where the rubber meets the road.

Any half ass pr of binos or spotter will be reasonably clear and serve ur cause in good light.

I would suggest to anyone looking at buying/evaluating binos ......that you take several pr out and glass at sunset til dark. This is where you will see quality optics standout.

That will parley into performance in foggy and wet conditions etc

Low light definition and clarity is a paramount evaluation criterium in optic selection for some and I support that 100%.

Something to consider

brian
10-26-2016, 11:08 AM
When it comes to optic brand and model separation, in regards to performance, low light is where the rubber meets the road.

Any half ass pr of binos or spotter will be reasonably clear and serve ur cause in good light.

I completely agree with this. Does anyone know if shear edge to edge clarity has any bearing on light transmission? Because by my standards low light performance is far preferable to edge to edge clarity. I have amazingly clear inexpensive optics that blow in low light whereas my old vortex viper binos (that I f*ckin lost) were amazing when it was getting dark.

One more thing to keep in mind when reading birders reviews, most birds go to bed when the critters we're hunting start peeking their noses out. I always look forward to hearing the forest go quiet, I imagine that's when the birders go home. So not being a birder, I imagine low light is probably not high on their list of desirable bino traits.

twoSevenO
11-22-2016, 01:10 AM
Stopped at the optics counter at Cabelas the other day and did my edge clarity test again but this time included the top dogs.

The test, again, was simply to focus on some tiny letters on a propane bottle 30 yards away then raise the binos slightly and to read the letters using only the edge of the glass.

The cheapest binos with a clear edge that allowed me to read the letters without refocusing were Vortex Razor HD. Superb quality. Swarovski were better but not by much.

A shocking disappointent, however, were zeiss Victory binos. Awful edge clarity in my test. Significantly improved if you refocus while looking at the edge but thats ridiculous as you would never be actively looking through at the edges. Was very very disappointed at the victory in this test.

Again, with a well lit store this was just a test of edge clarity of the glass compared to the center.

I think the Razor HD just went to the top of the list for bino replacements in 2017. Was really impressed with their clarity.

todbartell
11-22-2016, 01:21 AM
Swarovski sales rep taught me to do that test. He called it 'mapping the glass' - it is a great test, and like you found with the Zeiss, it can be very surprising what binos don't impress!

I love my Razor 10x42 but going to try 8x42 Razors for bigger field of view when hunting elk in the timber

.264winmag
11-22-2016, 08:25 AM
Ever since I bought my EL's I've been doing this in the field. Prop em up on a stump or why and scan every nook and cranny, edge to edge, without moving binos. Field of view is increased quite s bit also. Amazing what you can pick out even from a km. An ear twitch, tail flick, antler tine white snout these things find em all...

donny.brooke
11-22-2016, 09:19 AM
My buddies brand new leica rangefinding binos have horrible edge to edge clarity. He wasnt impressed after looking thru my EL.

Bonz
11-22-2016, 09:32 AM
our eyes all see diff and shaped diff so we may like diff gear for optics. what one guy sees as clear may not be for another. even if glass is better

twoSevenO
11-22-2016, 09:54 AM
Swarovski sales rep taught me to do that test. He called it 'mapping the glass' - it is a great test, and like you found with the Zeiss, it can be very surprising what binos don't impress!

I love my Razor 10x42 but going to try 8x42 Razors for bigger field of view when hunting elk in the timber

Let me know if the 10x42 are going for sale ;)

Got a razor HD spotting scope this year and the edge clarity on it has been superb as well. Top notch quality from Vortex high end lines. Impressive.

Whonnock Boy
11-22-2016, 10:06 AM
He sold them last week.

Let me know if the 10x42 are going for sale ;)

twoSevenO
11-22-2016, 10:11 AM
He sold them last week.

Ughh ... for how much? (So i have a reference point how much used ones go for)

Stormy
11-22-2016, 10:30 AM
I have Razor 8x42"s - great glass - can't say that they are better or worse than the Swaros my son hunts with - I cant tell the difference to be honest.

The 8x42 Tallon's made by Vortex are good value for money, had those for a couple seasons before getting my razors as a birthday pressie.

Fisher-Dude
11-22-2016, 12:42 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/1en1zq.jpg

Boner
11-22-2016, 04:10 PM

yeah, that seems to be the case. I was disappointed in how little improvement in edge clarity binos that were $1000 more than mine offered. I will have to go back and compare at twilight and see if they make up in low light enough to warrant a thousand dollar upgrade.

Which ones do you have? Which ones are on your short list?

I have the leupold BX3 Mohave in 12x50. They fit my dad perfect. He loves them and finds nothing wrong with them. Maybe I'll sell them to him for a song. I don't even take them out hunting. They're like new. I glass with my zeiss rangefinder when I'm out for my half day hunts.

My short list would be the big 3. For no other reasons than I want to buy once/cry once. Very happy with my Swarovski ATS-65 HD spotter. Maybe I'll go that way with binocs too.

smallfry14
11-22-2016, 04:16 PM
I'm in the same boat as you. Never looked thru high end binoculars in my life, but as we glassed a mountain about 2km away, buddy says he sees a sheep. I tried for a few minutes to spot it with my Vortex Diamondbacks, and cant find it. I then held the Swarovski in one hand and the Diamondbacks in the other. Put up the Swaros, there's a couple sheep horns glowing in the sunlight. Put up the diamondbacks, and there wasn't a sheep anywhere to be found.

Currently saving for either Vortex Razors or Swaro glass.

twoSevenO
11-22-2016, 04:35 PM
Yes swaros are amazing. But you have to draw the line somewhere ... and i draw the line at $1000 for binoculars .... which it looks like ill have to cross slightly when and if i can find some used razors next year.

Whonnock Boy
11-22-2016, 04:39 PM
He was asking 1300. Actual sale price, don't know. Black Friday is this week.

Ughh ... for how much? (So i have a reference point how much used ones go for)

Salvelinus
11-22-2016, 06:19 PM
Zen Ray.... The glass is absolutely outstanding for the price

todbartell
11-22-2016, 06:21 PM
He was asking 1300. Actual sale price, don't know. Black Friday is this week.

sold for $1250 shipped (Razor 10x42) - mint shape