PDA

View Full Version : white tailed deer hunting kamloops

Dorarem
10-14-2016, 08:16 PM
Hello hunters. Has oneone hunted white tailed deer around Kamloops? checked 3-19 area ( meadow creek road, and a few lodging roads on that area) and havent seen any at all. Havent seen any mule deer bucks, only does too. Can someone give me any suggestion where to go for whitey aaround Kamloops please? thank you

hoochie
10-14-2016, 08:39 PM
something strange is going on this year. There are many posts and comments about people having a hard time finding animals this year. I spent some time near kamloops 2 weeks ago and had to move on. just wasnt what it had been in previous years.

butthead
10-14-2016, 08:50 PM
this is getting really scary
this is the worst year ever i have had in seeing deer in 30 years
been out 3 times as much this year and seen like 30 deer to date would usually see that a day.
just not seeing the dear at all.
think ive seen 4 wt this season
wth?

Cyrus
10-14-2016, 08:54 PM
I have had one of those years as well...does but no bucks. I will blame the shitty weather, rainy and not very cold...3 spikers all this year so far. After this weekend I am on to November.

Quince
10-14-2016, 09:41 PM
Just finished 7 days, 3 guys hunting hard and seen less than 5 wt's in region 3 north. Ran into another group and same thing hardly seen any deer at all....

HarryToolips
10-14-2016, 09:45 PM
The deer are adjusting to the pressure I'm sure is all it is....and we haven't had a bad winter in a while no? what you should be asking yourselves is: is there still lots of deer sign?

Quince
10-14-2016, 09:51 PM
Saw the most sign on our last morning hunt. Nowhere what we saw last year.
Wolf scat on main fsr's and one yote that was gone in a flash when we saw him. Some really big bears as well. Grouse numbers are way up though as well

Rob
10-14-2016, 10:05 PM
Just curious are people cruising the roads or getting out and hiking the tree patches in/around the blocks? The bucks are there, there being pressured for sure but it is October.

Quince
10-14-2016, 10:21 PM
our group connected hiking and truck hunting.

Glassman
10-14-2016, 10:35 PM
2 of us hunted around Bonaparte lake. Always pulled a couple of decent 3 and 4 pointers from around there. Not this year. Went to the "honey hole" and never even seen a deer. Went to a couple of other spots and same, nothing. 2nd day went to a spot thats usually good for a small 2 point. Saw a couple of does but no bucks. Went to Rendall Creek(Christian Valley) a week later, and only saw 2 WT does with 2 fawns. Conservation officers, collecting overtime, were out harassing people that were driving down the valley road.

Seymourarm
10-14-2016, 10:40 PM
2 of us hunted around Bonaparte lake. Always pulled a couple of decent 3 and 4 pointers from around there. Not this year. Went to the "honey hole" and never even seen a deer. Went to a couple of other spots and same, nothing. 2nd day went to a spot thats usually good for a small 2 point. Saw a couple of does but no bucks. Went to Rendall Creek(Christian Valley) a week later, and only saw 2 WT does with 2 fawns. Conservation officers, collecting overtime, were out harassing people that were driving down the valley road.
It's cool how you know who's collecting overtime?

hoochie
10-14-2016, 10:40 PM
I normally saw lots of WT in previous years, and knowing that deer are habitual.. I went to those locations. I could not find one in 2 weekends and a week long trip. That was in Sept.
Friends of ours have taken WT in 3, but we didnt see any.
we asked them "where are all the deer??
After telling us another location to try, we reported back to them, and said we hadnt seen anything but Mule deer. These people live there, and they said after talking to us.. they had gone back to try and cut another tag, and hadnt seen anything. They said it was just very odd. They saw lots of deer.. then they vanished??

palmer
10-14-2016, 10:52 PM
Conservation officers, collecting overtime, were out harassing people that were driving down the valley road.

Good, glad to hear they are checking hunters....hope they are out more

Seymourarm
10-14-2016, 10:59 PM
Good, glad to hear they are checking hunters....hope they are out more
Me too! Complain when you never see them , then mad when you do.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-14-2016, 11:07 PM
Remember. October is typically a tough month to hunt whitetails in...and we had an unusually wet year.

Deer

will

be

fine.

hoochie
10-14-2016, 11:23 PM
maybe we should start a new thread or a poll and see how many people hunt in 3, how many have seen WT in 3, and how many have harvested in 3.
Im starting to wonder if the 2 Doe limit has had an impact.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-14-2016, 11:48 PM
maybe we should start a new thread or a poll and see how many people hunt in 3, how many have seen WT in 3, and how many have harvested in 3.

I saw several bucks while scouting in Region 3 before the season. Went back to the same spot and saw ZERO bucks come opening day when the traffic started.

gameslayer
10-15-2016, 12:38 AM
This is by far the wettest year I've seen in a very long time everything was still very green late season . I saw some bucks and lots of does (mule deer) before the season opened & the pressure started but like many once it opened they dig in a bit & are harder to spot. The weather's been bad which does not help but I feel with so much feed around the deer have no reason to move out in those open areas we call the "honey holes "which makes them easy targets . They can easily hold up in more remote areas that still have lots of feed and not be seen . There should be some record bucks this year with all that feed and lots of nutrients for Antler growth. Probably need to push the bush some more this year than years previous to get a good one. But once the pre rut starts anything to happen.

RackStar
10-15-2016, 12:38 AM
Deer are allergic to lead.
Think like a deer.

boxhitch
10-15-2016, 03:25 AM
Have seen the usual numbers of deer in the Salmon River area, more in the headlights

Looking_4_Jerky
10-15-2016, 05:44 AM
Lots of respondents and most replies have one commonality: pressure. More than ever before around Kamloops, and increasing yearly. The correlation I've seen is way more hunters, way fewer deer being seen, way fewer bucks being taken. The guys that are consistently producing are generally hunting time-tested spots, which coincidentally I believe almost nobody is going to blab about online, given that there are fewer and fewer that aren't overrun with traffic, or walk-in areas that get ATVs pushed in. Many locals have learned the hard way how much time and effort it takes to find a great spot and how quickly things go downhill when only a guy or two catches on... Then they tell a guy or two, then they tell a guy or two... You get the picture.

Good luck in your search. Hopefully you channel some time and work into the right spot and you're lucky enough to find something you can start hunting for a few years.

Wild one
10-15-2016, 07:21 AM
Wt adapt to pressure and get really spooky and turn nocturnal. The doe season changed there habits does become just as spooky as bucks once pressure is on them

there is a reason the most commonly used hunting method for wt is sitting and waiting. Get into the thick stuff off the roads and wait them out. WT are just not coming in the open during daylight as often in areas under pressure. If you find areas that are not being hit hard the habits have not changed.

some areas numbers may have dropped but most of the hunters I know that changed tactics or have always targeted WT in the thick stuff think the deer are still around just the habits have changed

try it put in the time to learn to pattern them in the thick stuff it may improve your success but it takes time to adjust. In my crews opinion if you can see over 50 yards the bush is not thick enough. It can drive a man crazy sitting all day and seeing nothing at times but once you dial it in things make sense and improves your odds

been saying it for years don't go out targeting just deer each species acts different

SR80
10-15-2016, 07:29 AM
all the whitetails me or my buddies get are within the last 10 minutes of day light, hardly even worth looking for them during the day, all youll see if that white flag as it runs away from you. Have to sit for those guys like mentioned before.

lovemywinchester
10-15-2016, 07:30 AM
Lots of deer all over. Not sure how many wt does I have seen this season already but its a lot. Go out at the magic hours and you will see lots of deer. WT like to start moving before dusk and that's when you see them. Oureas whitetail thread has CLEARLY stated that lots of WT live just off the main roads in the thickest stuff they can find and right under our noses. I'm not sure why anyone is surprised they are not standing there waiting to get shot in the open.

A few seasons ago a HBCer was on here and listed a bunch of local Kammy WT areas. I told him to keep it to himself or these areas would be ruined. Other HBCers told me I "was ruining the sport" ,among other comments, for not sharing all these areas online with thousands of other hunters. Well, now those areas are a friggen zoo with guys doing laps all day and hiking all season through there. People can't keep their mouths shut so this is what happens. Now everyone wonders where all the deer are?? On private land and running nocturnal.

sausage lover
10-15-2016, 08:33 AM
I'm a Kamloopian and there are still deer around but the WT in the easy to get to spots are very spooky! I took one a couple days ago in a spot where nobody gets out of there truck.Go in around 5:00 set up and waited glassing the fringes of thick cover,sure enough they crept out.Deer went down around 6:30 but it bolted into the thick stuff.Ended up recovering Deer the next morning:smile:.Scout before the season starts! this is key to success,if they hear a quad or a truck there gone! Cheers and best of luck finding WT this year.

Big Rub
10-15-2016, 08:35 AM
having lived in kamloops all my life, and hunting around here for 45 years or so, i can tell you that the animals are no way as numerous as they once were. moose used to be everywhere, now, you can spend a month in the bush and be lucky to see one. with the any buck season in october, and the doe season for whitetails, sure thins them out. used to go out and see several nice 4 pts. in a day. now, good luck finding one, and if you do, chances are its a dinky little genetically flawed buck. don't put all the blame on the wolves either,sure they take animls, but wolves have always been around, even when ungulate numbers were at their peak. i blame poor management stratgies from the gov't. and the out of control rape and pillaging of our fish and wildlife by the indigenous people of B.C. These people have no concept of conservation at all, but that's another discussion. just got back from 5 weeks up chetwynd area.Elk numbers are exremely low, thanks to the ministry still doing the L.E.H. for elk into February. and the cow/calf seasons etc. They wanted to wipe out the elk, and they sure have. They're doing the same thing with the elk, as they did with the moose in region 5, wipe them out, then with a stupid look on their face, decide to close moose for 5 years to bring them back, etc..i'm getting way off track here, but at the end of the day, The ministry of environment couldn't organize a piss up in a brewery, let alone manage wildlife.

10-15-2016, 09:26 AM
. Went to Rendall Creek(Christian Valley) a week later, and only saw 2 WT does with 2 fawns. Conservation officers, collecting overtime, were out harassing people that were driving down the valley road.

this is a beauty of a Quote ......... Wow, out there collecting overtime, out harassing people.

So you know this for a fact, were any harassment charges laid against the officers? Maybe the officers banked time, or maybe they were getting over time. It appears you have an issue with Conservation Officers doing what they are suppose to do. Their Job.

Quite frankly, I like getting checked, wish we would see more of them ....... All hours of the day or night.

CT

Jal
10-15-2016, 09:48 AM
I was in region 3 on 11, 12th oct. it was after old tracks would have been washed out by snow, and heavy rain of the thanksgiving week end. I did not see any tracks or any hunters.

BigfishCanada
10-15-2016, 10:25 AM
Lots of deer all over. Not sure how many wt does I have seen this season already but its a lot. Go out at the magic hours and you will see lots of deer. WT like to start moving before dusk and that's when you see them. Oureas whitetail thread has CLEARLY stated that lots of WT live just off the main roads in the thickest stuff they can find and right under our noses. I'm not sure why anyone is surprised they are not standing there waiting to get shot in the open.

A few seasons ago a HBCer was on here and listed a bunch of local Kammy WT areas. I told him to keep it to himself or these areas would be ruined. Other HBCers told me I "was ruining the sport" ,among other comments, for not sharing all these areas online with thousands of other hunters. Well, now those areas are a friggen zoo with guys doing laps all day and hiking all season through there. People can't keep their mouths shut so this is what happens. Now everyone wonders where all the deer are?? On private land and running nocturnal.

Id say its time for the weekend warriors to head back to region 8 next year, Rock Creek . Region 3 this year had hunter camps every 100 yards, the deer should be there but as winchester said hiding from the gong show!

skibum
10-15-2016, 06:04 PM
I hunt hiking in - in areas without too much pressure.

I would sure like to know what happened to "my zoo" this year. Moose, lots of deer last year. this year seen only one deer and saw no sign that was newer than a couple months. today was my last day in there -- I am pissy as I did put some time into setting this place up for good shooting lanes this summer

Luckily I did find a spot, after many hikes, that had multiple deer trails and sign. Hopefully it will play out.

The word I have gotten from a couple other kami hunters is no deer seen this year.

I think it is deer changing patterns because of wolves. Not necessarily way fewer. But will admit my lack of deer biology knowledge just leads to simplistic answers

tinhorse
10-15-2016, 06:19 PM

It seems in every area that they have opened the doe or even given out doe leh authorizations the deer have seemed to adjust and are hiding out a little more. Region 5 used to be ridiculous for seeing deer. 100+a day easy. Then they started to give out doe leh tags and the does were shot up. They started hiding out more and so did the little spikes, 2 pts and 3's that would hang out with or around them. It wasn't until the weather would get really nasty and start to push the deer into their winter ranges with the rut starting that they would start to show again or be more huntable in the open doug fir timber.

lovemywinchester
10-15-2016, 07:22 PM
I think it is deer changing patterns because of wolves. Not necessarily way fewer.

Lots of wolves around so you may be correct. Anywhere north of the T is loaded with them it seems. Time for some winter wolf killing.

I forgot to mention earlier that the WT in reg 3 are being managed to lower populations. 2 buck limit and the doe season are meant to have an impact on numbers so maybe its working.

Ohwildwon
10-15-2016, 07:49 PM
this is a beauty of a Quote ......... Wow, out there collecting overtime, out harassing people.

So you know this for a fact, were any harassment charges laid against the officers? Maybe the officers banked time, or maybe they were getting over time. It appears you have an issue with Conservation Officers doing what they are suppose to do. Their Job.

Quite frankly, I like getting checked, wish we would see more of them ....... All hours of the day or night.

CT

Oh Yeaaa......

Lillypuff
10-15-2016, 08:03 PM
i have seen whitetails in every direction around kamloops while fishing. I see them fishing on a regular basis and I fish the popular lakes so that should give you a pretty good idea where to spend a little time

blacklab
10-16-2016, 06:21 AM
Lots of wolves around so you may be correct. Anywhere north of the T is loaded with them it seems. Time for some winter wolf killing.

I forgot to mention earlier that the WT in reg 3 are being managed to lower populations. 2 buck limit and the doe season are meant to have an impact on numbers so maybe its working.

White tail in region 3 are not being managed! They are being exterminated.

If there are all these whitetail around why don't we see more road kills, why don't they show up on trail cams.
I hunt regions 4 and 8, why are the deer there so much dumber than those in region 3?

lovemywinchester
10-16-2016, 11:23 AM
Uh...nevermind

Rob
10-16-2016, 12:07 PM
I don't think we are seeing a shortage of whitetails..not what I've seen anyways in the Merritt areas. But they do act differently than mulies as far as reacting to pressure I think. Trying to still hunt whitetails seems a lot more difficult than doing the same with mule deer. When you jump a mulie you stand a good chance of it stopping again where as ths whities keep on running until they reach Alberta . Just my 2 cents.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-16-2016, 12:12 PM

If there are all these whitetail around why don't we see more road kills, why don't they show up on trail cams.
I hunt regions 4 and 8, why are the deer there so much dumber than those in region 3?

I've seem more and more whitetails where I hunt deer in Reg 3. Pics on tcams as well...although I didn't run a cam there this past year.

blacklab
10-16-2016, 03:05 PM
Ya there's lots, they just don't show up on trail cams, they don't get hit on the highway in region 3 like they do everywhere else.

I know there are still some on or adjacent to private land where hunting access is restricted, but up here where it's mostly crown land they are few and far between.

BigfishCanada
10-16-2016, 03:25 PM
i have seen whitetails in every direction around kamloops while fishing. I see them fishing on a regular basis and I fish the popular lakes so that should give you a pretty good idea where to spend a little time

I seem them fishing also, not so much while hunting lol

Lillypuff
10-16-2016, 03:45 PM
me as well happen to see them while anchored. as well as to and from the lakes

blacklab
10-16-2016, 04:30 PM
Can some of you smart guys that see all the whitetail, tell me why when I drive highway 6 through Lumby or Cherryville I see lots of whitetail.
Highway 33 or highway 3 through the region 8 I see lots of whitetail.
Are you telling me there smarter in region 3.

Seymourarm
10-16-2016, 05:29 PM

I was told some years ago by a CO that they do want most whitetail gone. WT have stronger genes, so we would lose mulies. Muley were here much longer

hoochie
10-16-2016, 05:37 PM
Can some of you smart guys that see all the whitetail, tell me why when I drive highway 6 through Lumby or Cherryville I see lots of whitetail.

No, they are telling us ( you and I) that we are blind. we do not use proper hunting techniques, and have little or no idea of what we are talking about.
maybe next year they will believe us!

#1fishslayer
10-16-2016, 05:47 PM
Yep see them every year.... they just don't stand around like a mulie. All the whitetails I've seen are on the move.

kamloopshunter25
10-16-2016, 06:22 PM

I have lots of trail cam pics of whities some no more then 10min out of town. It's been said that the deer disappear in Oct and comeback when the rut is on?

Rob
10-16-2016, 06:24 PM
No, they are telling us ( you and I) that we are blind. we do not use proper hunting techniques, and have little or no idea of what we are talking about.
maybe next year they will believe us!

Wow dude. Hope your not talking about my post.

ghost
10-16-2016, 06:24 PM
I live in kamloops and see them quite regularily.See them them in the front yard,in the forest and dead on the road.The pressure makes them nocturnal,first thing in the morning or last light.

Lastcar
10-16-2016, 06:39 PM
Spend a ton of time in 3-19 in the summer. I saw more bucks this year than in the past 3.

There is an insane amount of road traffic in 3-19. There is an insane amount of roads. There is not much distance between the roads. I can't imagine it makes for a very relaxing area for deer during the day.

I can see why they'd be hunkered down. It is even tough for a human to get away from the roads in much of 3-19. But there are spots.

It has taken me awhile to find a few. Even then, occasionally a human finds a way.

I lack the experience and knowledge to comment on historic levels or current causes of less deer being seen. My guess though is it less being seen, not being there when folks are hoping to see them.

Which is not a slight against anyone's hunting ability, before that topic gets any more steam...

Well actually it is a slight against mine. :)

blacklab
10-16-2016, 06:42 PM
OK so they're nocturnal. We used to see them regularly on the Logan lake golf course, now region 3 whitetail are afraid of golfers.
I will agree you have more whitetail within 10 miles of the city center than you do anywhere else in MUs 3-18 or 3-19. The Inks lake area is a good example lots of private farmland where they're safe.
I'll ask again why are they so different in region 3 than regions 4 or 8?
Unlike some of the other posters to this thread, I have no vested interest in perpetuating the "there are lots of whitetail" myth.
I just love to hunt them, and before somebody that says otherwise, I do so with some success.

Rob
10-16-2016, 06:49 PM
Not sure about region 4 or 8 as Ive only hunted them here and am no means an expert on their behaviour at all. There are a few spots that I know of that have whitetails but doesn't mean I'll always see them or see lots of them. What I see is pocket areas of whitetails with mulies surrounding. If that makes sense.

hoochie
10-16-2016, 07:21 PM
heading back to 3 this week to give it another kick at the can.

Rob
10-16-2016, 07:28 PM
heading back to 3 this week to give it another kick at the can.

I pm'd you cell #. Send me a text.

280 77
10-16-2016, 07:52 PM
OK so they're nocturnal. We used to see them regularly on the Logan lake golf course, now region 3 whitetail are afraid of golfers.
I will agree you have more whitetail within 10 miles of the city center than you do anywhere else in MUs 3-18 or 3-19. The Inks lake area is a good example lots of private farmland where they're safe.
I'll ask again why are they so different in region 3 than regions 4 or 8?
Unlike some of the other posters to this thread, I have no vested interest in perpetuating the "there are lots of whitetail" myth.
I just love to hunt them, and before somebody that says otherwise, I do so with some success.
It's called hunting pressure . region 3 is seeing a lot more of it and we have never had the same numbers of white tails as the other regions.
I see decent numbers on the backroads in the winter but they're gone as soon as they start hearing the quads running around.

Rob
10-16-2016, 08:19 PM
Hoochie did you get my PM?

hoochie
10-16-2016, 08:27 PM
did now.. text sent

blacklab
10-16-2016, 09:00 PM
I'm about done with this thread. I just can't figure out what is to be gained by trying to rid this region of the whitetails we have left.
Why is there a 2 antlerless limit in region 3, and nowhere else?
Why are region 3 whitetail deer different than any other region?
It surely isn't because of less hunting pressure!

WHY?

Seymourarm
10-16-2016, 09:15 PM
I'm about done with this thread. I just can't figure out what is to be gained by trying to rid this region of the whitetails we have left.
Why is there a 2 antlerless limit in region 3, and nowhere else?
Why are region 3 whitetail deer different than any other region?
It surely isn't because of less hunting pressure!

WHY?
To make more room for mule deer, when they interbreed you lose the muley!

wideopenthrottle
10-17-2016, 07:15 AM
never hunted WT in reg 3 but my co-worker and 6 others just came back from there with 7 muley bucks after a 10 day trip

longwalk
10-17-2016, 07:45 AM
The white tailed deer are there. As others have said they adapt to pressure very quickly. I just came back from a region 8 hunt. Couldn't find any mule deer where I normally see them. I bet I passed 100+ along the highway between my camp and Greenwood one evening. Saw
more moose than mule deer while hunting. Never saw white tailed deer during the day. At first and last light you could see them popping in and out of the brush. Lots of road hunting pressure. High winds meant a bit of patience was necessary but eventually a fat dry doe hung around long enough.....

Linksman313
10-17-2016, 08:01 AM
Id say its time for the weekend warriors to head back to region 8 next year, Rock Creek . Region 3 this year had hunter camps every 100 yards, the deer should be there but as winchester said hiding from the gong show!

No Thanks, you can keep them, we have more than enough camped in every nook and cranny here right now. Picked up enough beer cans/boxes to buy a round for everyone who's commented on this thread so far just this weekend. WT's just as elusive and invisible here as K-loops

J.P.
10-17-2016, 09:36 AM
Had an interesting experience last Monday/Tuesday in region 3. A whitetail doe in stood at 30 yards for about a minute stomping its foot and snarling at me. My girlfriend and I thought it might actually charge us. Anyways, we pushed 4 different groups of whitetail within about 1km of hiking. You just need to get off the roads and find them.

Wild one
10-17-2016, 10:34 AM
Had an interesting experience last Monday/Tuesday in region 3. A whitetail doe in stood at 30 yards for about a minute stomping its foot and snarling at me. My girlfriend and I thought it might actually charge us. Anyways, we pushed 4 different groups of whitetail within about 1km of hiking. You just need to get off the roads and find them.

Normal for wt to stomp there hoof when nervus often when they are unsure if you are a threat or not. The sound you heard is an alarm call letting other deer maybe even yearling know. Wt are more vocal than mule deer

Common and nothing to fear

blacklab
10-17-2016, 10:36 AM
I had hoped this thread might generate some grown up discussion. Obviously not.
All the great hunters that tell me how to hunt might want to look at some old posts, I have taken a few whitetail.
It's just another thread with all the experts with no pictures of dead bucks telling everybody else how to hunt.
Done with this thread, done with this site!

Lastcar
10-17-2016, 10:51 AM
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/5b/5b7e0fdd39178dc8d4148618607fc96fb8908a1ea62c041196 30f50f349c4ce1.jpg

wideopenthrottle
10-17-2016, 10:53 AM
All the great hunters that tell me how to hunt might want to look at some old posts, I have taken a few whitetail.
It's just another thread with all the experts with no pictures of dead bucks telling everybody else how to hunt.

when looking for riches, not every lump is a gold nugget....

Darksith
10-17-2016, 11:01 AM
In Reg 3, there are way less white tail than 4 or 8...and where there are white tail, they are in small pockets, which if the locals know about, are obviously targeted. Another reason to see less and this isn't to cause a shit storm, just speaking in regards to my personal knowledge of a pocket I am aware of...it is basically hunted year round legally by FN, and even at night, so these types of actions are pushing the deer into the bush. I never see them when driving, Ive personally never even killed one, have friends that have (mostly does) yup first light and last light, but my trail cam sees them ;). Maybe get into the forest and still hunt if you can locate the pocket. I suspect they get easier to hunt as we get closer to the rut, and definitely easier to locate once snow hits the dirt.

lovemywinchester
10-17-2016, 01:41 PM

Considering you live in good WT country, I'm surprised at your comments. I won't say where as we don't need any MORE pressure there but shaking your fist and yelling about exterminating management practices doesn't seem like grown up discussion to me.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-17-2016, 02:31 PM

Those areas have some of the highest hwy corridor deer densities in the province. If that's the benchmark you are using then I see the problem.

I hunt the east side of the central OK. Whitetails are not everywhere and yet we kill bucks every year. You need
identify their preferred habitat. Sometimes you only need to move several hundred yards to change from preferred muley habitat to preferred whitetail habitat. Some places are decent for both species.

Let me see....Many parts of the east, west koots, boundary district and some places in the Okanagan are losing mule deer. Most of these places have also seen an increase in whitetail deer...and some areas have seen a substantial increase in whitetails. Region 3 is still one of the strongholds for mule deer. I think most want to keep it that way.

Wild one
10-17-2016, 02:49 PM
[QUOTE=blacklab;1830605]I had hoped this thread might generate some grown up discussion. Obviously not.
Done with this thread, done with this site![/

people are only stating what they are experiencing and opinions just as you are

mention of tactics is only trying to add to why hunters may be having different opinions. If you get results in how you hunt wt and have faith in tactics it is your hunt go nuts. I know a good still hunter can lay a beating on wt but it is a skill

i don't doubt the season has impacted some areas. I also think BCs approach to wt management is BS. It is a cop out way to try and improve mule deer numbers well causing a negative impact on wt which have shown an ability to thrive. Debated my stance on BCs wt management plan in past threads

.308SLAYER
10-17-2016, 02:49 PM
My brother and I both punched whitetail tags this weekend Saturday 2 pm in the pissing rain and Sunday 11 am gotta look hard they're not gonna wave at you

cmarrie
10-17-2016, 04:38 PM

Wow, you are a sensitive one, eh? You didn't even start this thread, but you're hijacking with your tantrum. I think your questions were answered honestly by a few people on here, the best they know anyway.

Region 3 is different because it's classic Mule Deer country and perhaps the Biologists are cognizant of that, and are less managing whitetail as they are Mule Deer. From what many on here have said, whitetail will outcompete mule deer, even up high. Lots of threads and lots of studies linked on here about that issue. Whitetail are spookey and cagey creatures regardless of region. They learn quick too I think. There's always safety in numbers. Region 4, 8 have more whitetail, therefore they feel safer I think. But as they see their family unit and fellow "herd" get harvested one-by-one, numbers go down, there's more one-off's and they get hunter shy for lack of better word. They learn to avoid roads, become increasingly nocturnal, etc. I think that is the case in region 3 on a lot of the crown land. Anyway, why leave a site just because you didn't get the answer you wanted. If you know the answer, tell us.

blindcast
10-17-2016, 06:42 PM
When you get to that other site, I recommend you spend time listening instead of ranting. A good deal of insight has been offered so far on this thread. You just have to listen up instead of letting a bunch of self centered expectations get in the way.

lovemywinchester
10-17-2016, 07:32 PM
Another issue with increased WT #s in traditional Mulie country is the increase in cougars that follow the increase of WT. More deer = more cats. Cats come with the WT but find the dumb mulies easier prey. This leads to higher mortality on mulies. The other problem mentioned in the study was the higher fecundity of the WT. The study showed 100% of WT does get knocked up compared to 70% or so for mulies as well as more twins for WT. Once the WT get established its very hard to affect their numbers. Contrary to the opinion of many on here. I'll see if I can dig up the study, going by memory so my numbers may be off but that was the gist of it.

HarryToolips
10-17-2016, 09:11 PM
Wow, you are a sensitive one, eh? You didn't even start this thread, but you're hijacking with your tantrum. I think your questions were answered honestly by a few people on here, the best they know anyway.

Region 3 is different because it's classic Mule Deer country and perhaps the Biologists are cognizant of that, and are less managing whitetail as they are Mule Deer. From what many on here have said, whitetail will outcompete mule deer, even up high. Lots of threads and lots of studies linked on here about that issue. Whitetail are spookey and cagey creatures regardless of region. They learn quick too I think. There's always safety in numbers. Region 4, 8 have more whitetail, therefore they feel safer I think. But as they see their family unit and fellow "herd" get harvested one-by-one, numbers go down, there's more one-off's and they get hunter shy for lack of better word. They learn to avoid roads, become increasingly nocturnal, etc. I think that is the case in region 3 on a lot of the crown land. Anyway, why leave a site just because you didn't get the answer you wanted. If you know the answer, tell us.
Exactly, WT learn real fast...for example, in a high pressured area of region 8 last year, on one of my buddies t-cams by November every single pic he got of WT movement was at night...

BigBanger
10-18-2016, 12:35 AM
We pulled a coulpe mule deer bucks from that area at the beginning of October. I'm heading back up this weekend to get me a white tail, I hear they taste different then Mulies... I'm going to try blind hunting, I kind of know a spot where they were hanging out at the beginning of the month.. Find your spot, sit and wait... It's all about the spot, lol.

Wild one
10-18-2016, 03:32 AM
Another issue with increased WT #s in traditional Mulie country is the increase in cougars that follow the increase of WT. More deer = more cats. Cats come with the WT but find the dumb mulies easier prey. This leads to higher mortality on mulies. The other problem mentioned in the study was the higher fecundity of the WT. The study showed 100% of WT does get knocked up compared to 70% or so for mulies as well as more twins for WT. Once the WT get established its very hard to affect their numbers. Contrary to the opinion of many on here. I'll see if I can dig up the study, going by memory so my numbers may be off but that was the gist of it.

The over abundance of Cougars will eat more mule deer if you lower wt numbers. Removing 1 prey item to try and save another is flawed especially with mule deer being the proffered prey of Cougars. If preds are a problem that should be the focus

There is many flaws in kill wt to improve mule deer numbers theory. This program is being attempted in a few places out side of BC and I have yet to see any report of success.

In BC there is little to no change to mule deer seasons well other areas attempting this at least restrict mule deer harvest as well. Basically BC is running part of a management plan used in other areas that has not proven effective

BCs overall deer numbers really are not high compared to many places

i debated this enough in past a past thread and not going to write it all again

lovemywinchester
10-18-2016, 05:47 AM
More pred harvest is a good thing for sure. Lots of new cat hunters out there these days from what I have noticed but its expensive to do it with success. Trucks, Dogs, gps collars and tracking programs, sleds and the time to spend is out of reach for many.

I understand what you are saying about removing one prey item to save another may be flawed but my feelings are the new regs are intended to slow the spread of WT into areas where they are not yet in great numbers. Not really removing a prey item but stopping it from ever being there in the first place.

Wild one
10-18-2016, 06:43 AM
In my opinion it will be the habitat that will dictate the out come. Look at 812 814 for an example there is areas both species cross over but there is no doubt habitat that is dominated by mule deer and other dominated by wt. This area has a long standing wt population

if you want to experience how this management plan is flawed go to 339 in Alberta were there was years of liberal wt season and highly restrictive mule deer season. Wt still dominate the area because of the habitat and mule deer are limited

i have no issue with a wt doe season applied to manage wt where they are abundant but to attempt to drop there numbers to save mule deer is a waste

want more mule deer focuse on habitat and preds. Maybe even change mule deer harvest in areas that need it

metalface
10-18-2016, 08:38 AM

Dont let the door hit u in the ass on the way out

boxhitch
10-18-2016, 08:54 AM
Liberal seasons are also about hunter opportunity, possibly the larger reason over game management. .
Where the population can support it, opening up the seasons and bag limits are what hunters want, meat in the freezer.
WT are prolific breeders and with the changing habitat will fare better than MD pretty well anywhere in BC. WT are more responsive to pressures and will continue to flourish.
And with the nanny mindset of many hunters there will always be sufficient does to hunt, whether it is easy or not..

hoochie
10-18-2016, 09:25 AM
some interesting info coming out on this thread now.
The thing people seem to be missing is that when we are asking "where are the deer?" we arent saying that there are no WT deer in 3, we are saying that they arent where they used to be.

I have been hunting for a few years now, and have only taken WT, until this year.

If you at a lake, and every time you went to that lake; you saw ducks and geese... the following year, you go to that same lake and you only see ducks.
I am interested for next year to see if the WT can be found again in the area I had harvested them in years' past. As I have not seen hide nor hair of them in that hunting spot.
If they are such prolific breeders, then why are they not still in the location I have harvested them before?
these are the questions that make me scratch my head.

boxhitch
10-18-2016, 09:56 AM
Not everyone thinks you are wrong in your assessment, and it certainly can't be generalized for other areas.
Lots of 'maybe' reasons listing man-made, to habitat changes, to weather, to predators, to the passing of time. Nothing stays the same
But to try and nail the primary reason down......well imo time can be better spent

Spots change as veg grows up, sight lines change, cats move in, safety is compromised
But the next good spot isn't too far away.

kamloopshunter25
10-18-2016, 11:38 AM
missed an oppurtunity twice last night on 2 different WT. First time was still hunting and bumped 2 does bedded no more then 20yds (should've been using the binos more!) second was leaving 2 min too early and got busted by a nice buck as he was coming out of the timber, he gave me a nice snort and waved good bye.

Looking_4_Jerky
10-18-2016, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by blacklab

Dont let the door hit u in the ass on the way out

Metalface, you literally stole those words while I was writing them too!!!

blacklab the backyard wildlife biologist disagrees with our regional bios, so he's leaving the forum. That makes good sense...

Wild one
10-18-2016, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by blacklab

Metalface, you literally stole those words while I was writing them too!!!

blacklab the backyard wildlife biologist disagrees with our regional bios, so he's leaving the forum. That makes good sense...

Dont assume a degree means a bio always has the correct answers

I believe they do the best they can with the data they have. The issue is politics and in the end a managment plan is a theory on what should be done and it takes years to prove if these theories are correct or not.

if BC's wildlife managment never screwed up we would not have issues with moose, caribou, and wolf we have now

With the politics and lack of funding I don't want there job

Stone Sheep Steve
10-18-2016, 07:21 PM
To simplify things....there isn't a real deer biologist that is concerned about the long term survival of whitetailed
deer in North America: however, the same cannot be said about mule deer.

metalface
10-18-2016, 08:22 PM

Man... I guess that dude just really loved whitetails.

Great thread tho. Lots of info for the OP, lot of good discussion about game management in BC and a laugh or two.

Kami
10-18-2016, 08:44 PM
I was out in Region 3 on Sunday past. Pre dawn until noon. Saw 1 Mulie Doe running. All I saw was her ass. That was it for deer.
I saw tons of wolf tracks in the snow. Literally saw more wolf tracks than deer tracks. One might think the area has been decimated in some way or other.
A different area of region 3 I see multiple deer every time I go there. Bucks every trip so far this year. 5 trips so far. I'm holding out for a 4 point though.
Have not seen one yet. It's too far from Kamloops I think for most hunters on day trips. No pressure. I can walk to within 50 yards of the bucks and does
I am seeing. They are not overly sensitive of humans it seems. Left my trail cam in the area for all of July, Aug and Sept. When I picked it up it had 350
photos on it. 300 of them with deer. All mulies. No WT. Not 1 person, quad, moose, wolf, cougar, no cattle, nothing else. Just mulies. Plenty of bucks too. I think I found
my spot for this year anyway. Can't speak much about WT. I am not seeing any.

walks with deer
10-19-2016, 10:55 AM
Gameslayers post was spot on that's exactly my thoughts.
I noticed the whitetails have moved into thicker brush and private land with the pressure.I saw over 30 whitetails yesterday going to and from work.

walks with deer
10-19-2016, 10:56 AM
But if you want whitetails region eastern region 8 and 4 are where the density is.

TreeStandMan
10-19-2016, 11:51 AM
It's pretty clear to me that whitetail distribution in region 3 is really clumpy. I've spent a lot of time in some areas up the North Thompson, and have never seen a white tail ever in almost 40 years of walking through those woods. This said, last summer (before hunting season) I did see a whitetail doe close to the family cabin, the first one me or anyone else in my family has seen there since my grandpa built the place 60 years ago, so anecdotally they are spreading.

In any case, I love mule deer, and they will continue to be my primary region 3 game animal, but what I've seen and heard has caused me to put a whitetail tag in my pocket, and if I see one and it's in season I won't hesitate.

Glenny
10-19-2016, 10:14 PM
Wolves around LL and tunkwater. There goes the neighbourhood.

Lugg
10-03-2019, 06:18 AM
Three years later, I'm wondering if people still feel the same about this area. What are your thoughts?

I think I saw my first WT quarter in 3-19 as it ran away from me due to crunchy snow last weekend. I've been hunting the region almost exclusively for the last 3 years. Likely over 30 days there. We're still new hunters and half of that time was road hunting we then learned our lesson and the other half has been feet on the ground.