PDA

View Full Version : 7-23 Moose ?

Arctic Lake
10-14-2016, 12:23 PM
Hey Fellas

Has anyone on here hunted 7-23 this year for moose or in the last few years . Parsnip River and Table River area .
Thanks
Arctic Lake

Boner
10-14-2016, 03:15 PM
The Table is tight. Really brushed in. The beavers have been busy with their dams. Part of the road is wrecked. I can't remember how far I drove in last fall. I think to the cabin. I could have went a few km farther but I ran out of time. No recent logging that's for sure.

Arctic Lake
10-14-2016, 06:10 PM
Okay Thanks Boner ! Have not been in there in 15 years and was wondering what it was like in there now.
Arctic Lake

Boner
10-14-2016, 07:21 PM
There's a couple of areas in there to hunt as long as you go in when the bulls are responsive. It's a roll of the dice though. All I've called in so far are hunters in 7-15 and 7-24.

buzz720
10-14-2016, 11:08 PM
I've been on the table to the second deactivation. You can go farther with a quad or side-by-side. There are some decent looking swamps. All the old blocks are very over grown. The road is starting to get fairly skinny too (paint on my truck is effed now... lol). Tons and tons of elk signs in the old growth. You should have better luck hiking a bit off the road. I would look at the Hominka river, which is the valley south east of the table river valley. Newer blocks and more open country. There is a lot of active logging to the north the table river valley. There will be logging in there for about 4-5 years. There are some huge bulls there. You will see a lot of hunters on these roads. There are definitely some moose that are being harvested. Not a huge amount but not low either. If you do go, remember you are in grizzly country and not be like some people who had their meat hanging 10 feet from their tent.

Arctic Lake
10-15-2016, 10:09 AM
Thanks again Boner and Thanks Buzz 720. 7-23 was productive for us all those years ago.

Arctic Lake

moosecaller
10-15-2016, 10:17 AM
Have been up the Anzac the last few years the activity from the pipe line surveyors has pushed what moose were there virtually out. One morning was just like a war zone helicopters so close flying over the wall tent was flapping! I just had one close encounter with a grizzly last fall and that was the extent of it. Also saw very few tracks and we put on a lot of miles looking.

Boner
10-15-2016, 05:17 PM
Have been up the Anzac the last few years the activity from the pipe line surveyors has pushed what moose were there virtually out. One morning was just like a war zone helicopters so close flying over the wall tent was flapping! I just had one close encounter with a grizzly last fall and that was the extent of it. Also saw very few tracks and we put on a lot of miles looking.

So the proposed pipeline is to blame for you guys having no luck? I doubt it. I can say the same for most areas and watersheds that I have hunted in north of PG. Less moose and less sign. I've worked on the proposed pipeline route when work is made available to me for three years so I'm familiar with where the proposed route is from where it crosses Pine River to where it crosses the Nechako River.

moosecaller
10-15-2016, 08:35 PM
So the proposed pipeline is to blame for you guys having no luck? I doubt it. I can say the same for most areas and watersheds that I have hunted in north of PG. Less moose and less sign. I've worked on the proposed pipeline route when work is made available to me for three years so I'm familiar with where the proposed route is from where it crosses Pine River to where it crosses the Nechako River.\

Wow I was just saying that the helicopters were flying so close the tent was flapping and when we spoke to the pilots they told us that they had not seen a moose for many weeks prior to us arriving. This was the LNG twin line that is coming through we saw many core drilling crews as well it was one busy place just saying?? I was just trying to answer the OP as to my experience and observations in that area, not once trying to blame anyone including the pipe line survey crews, they were just doing a job.

Boner
10-15-2016, 09:06 PM
Fair enough, I wasn't trying to come across as angry, sorry it came out like that. I'm in the air quite a bit, it's not easy to see moose when you're flying. Im one of the guys who makes the work sites for the drillers.

I read into your post that you implied that my industry pushed out the moose, I was pointing out that I doubted that it did. All of our projects encourage animal sightings recorded and sent up the ladder. Numbers are good in some places, others not so well. Good access, proximity from communities and predation are of course huge factors for our wildlife sightings.

Helicopters are definitely a problem to caribou. We can't work for months on end where the calving grounds are. We can't even walk in caribou zones during the closed time. No activity whatsoever.