PDA

View Full Version : Giving away an entire deer?

DarekG
10-14-2016, 12:13 PM
Hey Guys,

Had a question regarding the giving of game meat. I know I can give it away, with a slip of paper with my hunter number, tag, date, etc. But how about giving 100% of the meat to someone?

The reason I'm asking is because I know someone who is going through some seriously rough times, he has a family, but will be unable to hunt this year. I feel really terrible for the guy, and I usually max out at 2 deer (Live alone, small freezer!) - But I'm wondering if I get a third this year, is it legal to give away 100% of the meat?

I don't imagine it would be any different than giving a few steaks away, but I wanted to make sure I'm not doing anything illegal.

Xenomorph
10-14-2016, 12:22 PM
Hey Guys,

Had a question regarding the giving of game meat. I know I can give it away, with a slip of paper with my hunter number, tag, date, etc. But how about giving 100% of the meat to someone?

The reason I'm asking is because I know someone who is going through some seriously rough times, he has a family, but will be unable to hunt this year. I feel really terrible for the guy, and I usually max out at 2 deer (Live alone, small freezer!) - But I'm wondering if I get a third this year, is it legal to give away 100% of the meat?

I don't imagine it would be any different than giving a few steaks away, but I wanted to make sure I'm not doing anything illegal.

You dropping it off, is he going to butcher it himself?

Not a problem giving meat to family and friends.

campking
10-14-2016, 12:27 PM
Have you thought of starting a go fund me page for your friend (I think that is what it is called?)

boxhitch
10-14-2016, 12:32 PM
Good on ya for sharing, could be just the thing that makes the big difference for your friend.

DarekG
10-14-2016, 12:33 PM
Have you thought of starting a go fund me page for your friend (I think that is what it is called?)

That's a good idea.

I just heard news of what was going on with him a couple hours ago, so I'm still kind of processing it. He's a co-worker as well so I'm trying to get a 50/50 raffle going for him here at work as well. I was planning on cleaning it and cutting it up before giving it to him. Sounds like its all legal though, so that's good news!

J_T
10-14-2016, 12:40 PM
Hey Guys,

I don't imagine it would be any different than giving a few steaks away, but I wanted to make sure I'm not doing anything illegal. When I harvest I distribute the meat widely among family, friends and those in want or need. Last year, 2 deer and an elk where shared among many. You don't need any paper, just a box or cooler to transport it.

ramcam
10-14-2016, 12:58 PM
My two cents here, I never go out with the intention of killing wildlife to give it away. Yes I do share what I shoot for myself and family but I don't agree with what I call contract killing. I think it is a privilege to hunt and eat wild meat not a right, So at the end of the day if we all killed more than we can use or to give it away I don't agree with it. I get it its a nice gesture but if every one did it how does that affect our wildlife population? like I said just an opinion

10-14-2016, 01:16 PM
My two cents here, I never go out with the intention of killing wildlife to give it away. Yes I do share what I shoot for myself and family but I don't agree with what I call contract killing. I think it is a privilege to hunt and eat wild meat not a right, So at the end of the day if we all killed more than we can use or to give it away I don't agree with it. I get it its a nice gesture but if every one did it how does that affect our wildlife population? like I said just an opinion

Who cares if it is used? He is allowed three deer and that is based, hopefully, on sound management practices so shoot three and who eats it should be of no concern. I've given basically whole deer to old timer hunters who can no longer go out into the bush. Sharing is an integral part of hunting and the hunting culture.

DarekG
10-14-2016, 01:16 PM

I think that is a fair point.

I know his family eats game meat, I wouldn't say they "rely" on it per se but put yourself in his shoes. If you were in a condition where you could not work potentially for months, I think knowing he has some meat in the freezer would give some peace of mind - As well as potentially help financially.

In this case, the guy himself is an avid hunter and I can almost guarantee that if he wasn't in his current condition he would bag a deer no problem. It's not something I would do for someone that wasn't a hunter, and it's not something I would do except in the most dire of circumstances.

It's certainly and interesting moral dilemma.

Gateholio
10-14-2016, 01:20 PM
I don't see any moral dilemma at all. Give him as much meat as you want.

Bugle M In
10-14-2016, 01:26 PM

x2...............

.264winmag
10-14-2016, 02:13 PM
It's a regular thing with our hunting community, lots of meat and even animals gifted away. Nobody says much or thinks twice, just what we do as hunters. Old retirees', family, friends outta work or going through tough times are welcome to the spoils. As long as it's tagged and taken legally anyone can eat it, just not for remuneration.

j270wsm
10-14-2016, 02:37 PM
Who cares if it is used? He is allowed three deer and that is based, hopefully, on sound management practices so shoot three and who eats it should be of no concern. I've given basically whole deer to old timer hunters who can no longer go out into the bush. Sharing is an integral part of hunting and the hunting culture.

We should all care how it's used, if not, then we're no better than the hunters with special hunting seasons. Pretty sure cam is saying that people shouldn't shoot an animal with the intentions of giving it away. I'm sure we have all given meat to friends and family, I know I've given lots of meat away.

RackStar
10-14-2016, 02:59 PM
Your doing a good thing. Good karma. And hopefully not, but If one day your in a similar situation I'm sure your friend would do the same for you. As long as it's not sold and legally taken, I don't see why anyone would have a problem.

finngun
10-14-2016, 03:07 PM
As long meat is not wasted,,,( i dont agree to shoot deer or moose for dog food)by all means give it to somebody who needs it..shoot 3 deers if ya can.
Thera are many hunters who are not able to cut all tags..not too many deers is gonna die.deer population is healty in most part of b.c.
Just shoot any wolf...coyote..blackies..ya see on ya hunt too..that helps..

10-14-2016, 03:13 PM
We should all care how it's used, if not, then we're no better than the hunters with special hunting seasons. Pretty sure cam is saying that people shouldn't shoot an animal with the intentions of giving it away. I'm sure we have all given meat to friends and family, I know I've given lots of meat away.

Please elaborate. Does it matter if I or my family eats the meat or if someone else does? I use a tag that I purchased and shoot a deer in season. I do not exceed my bag limit. Would it be different if I invited 20 people over to my house and made a feast for them and I personally didn't eat a bite of the deer?

Like I said, I know old timers who can't go out anymore. I'll happily cut my tag and give them the meat. In fact, I'll go out with the intention of giving them the meat. I'll also butcher and wrap the meat for them. I've got enough elk, moose and deer in my freezer to be able to spare some for a fellow hunter and friend who is running low.

KodiakHntr
10-14-2016, 03:18 PM
I'll happily cut my tag and give them the meat. In fact, I'll go out with the intention of giving them the meat. I'll also butcher and wrap the meat for them. I've got enough elk, moose and deer in my freezer to be able to spare some for a fellow hunter and friend who is running low.

Damn straight.

I have absolutely zero issue with anyone who is wanting to hunt an animal for the specific purpose of sharing meat with another person who needs or wants it.

j270wsm
10-14-2016, 03:23 PM
Please elaborate. Does it matter if I or my family eats the meat or if someone else does? I use a tag that I purchased and shoot a deer in season. I do not exceed my bag limit. Would it be different if I invited 20 people over to my house and made a feast for them and I personally didn't eat a bite of the deer?

Like I said, I know old timers who can't go out anymore. I'll happily cut my tag and give them the meat. In fact, I'll go out with the intention of giving them the meat. I'll also butcher and wrap the meat for them. I've got enough elk, moose and deer in my freezer to be able to spare some for a fellow hunter and friend who is running low.

Re read your opening question......" Who cares if it is used? "

russm86
10-14-2016, 03:34 PM
" Who cares? As long as it IS used... "

Happy now? May not have been the best wording but I got what he meant...

10-14-2016, 03:47 PM
Re read your opening question......" Who cares if it is used? "

Who cares if it is used = who cares as long as it's used. Perhaps I should have put a comma - "who cares, if it is used". Where is the grammar police when you need them.

walks with deer
10-14-2016, 04:21 PM
I have given my paraplegic uncle many deer...

And I share with my friends and family all the time and they share with me..sorry I thought that's what it's about...I cringe when people sausage deer and moose .

Surrey Boy
10-14-2016, 04:25 PM
Hope you get a fat one.

True generosity is rare these days.

RB2
10-14-2016, 04:37 PM
X3. Good on ya for trying to help a guy out!

moosinaround
10-14-2016, 04:50 PM
I have done this before, killed my bag limit and shared it with people! I never took more than was going to be used, it was enjoyed, and it took some of the stress off of this family for a year! I'd do it again too, not everyone can get out and hunt, and sharing with my family and friends makes me feel good! Moosin

10-14-2016, 05:13 PM
I have done this before, killed my bag limit and shared it with people! I never took more than was going to be used, it was enjoyed, and it took some of the stress off of this family for a year! I'd do it again too, not everyone can get out and hunt, and sharing with my family and friends makes me feel good! Moosin

I believe sharing is central to the ethos of hunting. That good feeling you get is, imo, innate just like the desire/need to hunt itself.

rocksteady
10-14-2016, 05:22 PM
No issues as long as paperwork is in order

M.Dean
10-14-2016, 07:08 PM
Far as I know, once the meat is processed, you can do anything you want with it, except sell it. And as long as your not going to post it on a public forum, who's to know anyways???

Rob Chipman
10-15-2016, 02:03 PM
I've shot game specifically to give it to old-timers who are in tough straits. If I could I'd do it again.

On a less generous tack I'd even do it to give to anti-hunting people - it's called "venison diplomacy" :-) If it's legally taken under a sound management system it's all good. Just make sure the paperwork is handled properly first.

fuzzy 63
10-15-2016, 05:39 PM
hi all . growing up as a kid knowing that my dad hunted , although never really successful on big game , when he would come home from work with a moose roast or some deer to have a meal is what made me become a hunter in the first place . the moose roasts especially sticks out as being the driver for me to get my licence . as well i respected the friend who would give us meat for the table .
It was really imprinting on a young person
Cya