PDA

View Full Version : White balls, tapeworm cysts? in mule deer region 3

northbc
10-13-2016, 01:31 AM
Was cutting up a deer and found some small white cyst/ball things inside it. Squished some and a little tiny (1mm) worm type thing came out Only 3-4 all in different parts of the deer. From what I've gathered it could be tapeworm cysts. I'm not too bothered by it, but my wife will be when I tell her.
Do I need to get a sample tested to positively ensure that they are tapeworm cysts? Anything else they could be? My dog also cleaned up any trimmings and blood, is a simple de wormer all hes going to need? Can he eat scraps if they are boiled?

Rob
10-13-2016, 05:40 AM
I would maybe call your local vet and ask about the custs/worms on the deer and mention about the dog. Then decide if your wife even needs to know.

.264winmag
10-13-2016, 05:55 AM
Rob nailed it. A woman in fsj told me a story about feeding raw game scraps to their dogs. The dogs loved it naturally and were healthy, but from playin with and licking her little grandchild the mutts passed on some sort of worms that started showing up in the diapers. Now that's effin gross HA.

Stresd
10-13-2016, 06:45 AM
Says that none of the ten weird parisites living in deer are dangerous to humans.

Good info and lovely tastey pictures::-P

https://www.qdma.com/10-weird-parasites-live-inside-deer/

Bugle M In
10-13-2016, 09:23 AM
Had a buck, couple years back, that had these large egg sized cysts.
They were just inside the hide, but not into the meat.
Didn't realize it, until I cut thru one of the cysts as I was cutting thru hide to open up deer to gut.
All this greyish white goop oozed out of it.
This deer had 4 or 5 of these cysts all on the underbelly side of him.
Don't have a clue what they were, never seen that before.
Anyways, made sure not to cut into any other ones while field dressing.
Wasn't concerned as it did not go into the meat.....but....
I sure was curious to know what the hell those cysts were???
Thoughts/info anyone???

whitlers
10-13-2016, 09:38 AM
Had the same thing on my region 3 buck 3 seasons ago. I just cut around it and cleaned up the area. I have eaten that entire deer and I'm still here haha

moosecaller
10-13-2016, 09:50 AM
Taenia krabbei
Not harmful to humans normal find in most ungulates.

http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/wildlife-diseases/documents/MooseMeasles-2004.pdf
https://idfg.idaho.gov/wildlife/disease/tapeworm-cysts
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=disease.muscle1

Looking_4_Jerky
10-13-2016, 01:41 PM
Had a buck, couple years back, that had these large egg sized cysts.
They were just inside the hide, but not into the meat.
Didn't realize it, until I cut thru one of the cysts as I was cutting thru hide to open up deer to gut.
All this greyish white goop oozed out of it.
This deer had 4 or 5 of these cysts all on the underbelly side of him.
Don't have a clue what they were, never seen that before.
Anyways, made sure not to cut into any other ones while field dressing.
Wasn't concerned as it did not go into the meat.....but....
I sure was curious to know what the hell those cysts were???
Thoughts/info anyone???

Don't know what they are, although I've heard they may be associated with old injuries. I found one in a deer once that looked like a damn jumbo perogie. I thought it was totally made of connective tissue, but much to my dismay when I poked it with the knife it ruptured and expelled the disgusting creamy matter. It was enough to gag a maggot.

khoffnbud
10-13-2016, 01:52 PM
Had this in a mulie I shot with a buddy, who's a vet, a couple years ago. Consume as normal.

sawmill
10-13-2016, 02:56 PM
Had the same thing on my region 3 buck 3 seasons ago. I just cut around it and cleaned up the area. I have eaten that entire deer and I'm still here haha

Not gaining any weight I bet! The Mule Deer diet.

skibum
10-13-2016, 03:15 PM
DISEASES YOU CAN GET FROM WILDLIFE - good comprehensive document for bc

http://www.bccdc.ca/resource-gallery/Documents/Guidelines%20and%20Forms/Guidelines%20and%20Manuals/Health-Environment/diseases_from_wildlife_safetymanual1.pdf

Abscesses
• Pus & bacteria-filled lumps found within animal tissues, usually during butchering - Most animals appear to be healthy
• If there is only one abscess, trim away and discard the affected meat
• If multiple abscesses are found, it is safer not to eat the animal
NEVER cut into abscesses or eat meat containing abscesses

moosecaller
10-13-2016, 03:48 PM
Don't know what they are, although I've heard they may be associated with old injuries. I found one in a deer once that looked like a damn jumbo perogie. I thought it was totally made of connective tissue, but much to my dismay when I poked it with the knife it ruptured and expelled the disgusting creamy matter. It was enough to gag a maggot.

Sounds like glands they have pus type filling and are oval like an egg ping pong ball size are some? Lymph nodes?

Bugle M In
10-13-2016, 03:50 PM

That is exactly what came out.
I didn't take photo's, cause I didn't want the reminder.....puke.
Interestingly, we shot 2 bucks in the 2 days.
The one buck still had the summer colors, so I assumed he was a local "lowland" buck.
The other had full own winter coat, and assumed he came from off the high altitude plateau (migrator).
It was the Migrating buck that had these cysts.
And had already had some broken off tines, so he had been fighting most likely.
I wondered if the were some form of "injury/fighting cysts/puss that possibly developed"??? don't know.
But, they were all located, from what I recall, near his underbelly side.
I cant recall if he had one on his side/flanks area.
Anyways, avoid cutting into them, if you see them....
they do excrete a lot of junk!

Rhyno
10-13-2016, 07:34 PM
Consume as normal.
And...don't tell your wife! Unless you want all the game meat for yourself😀

khoffnbud
10-13-2016, 07:41 PM
I thought that was a given!

Backcountry Hunter
10-13-2016, 08:55 PM
Also have cut up a few deer in the past 4 years that have small white gooey things inside the meat. Weren't moving and didn't smell so figured we were fine. Did not tell the wives!