PDA

View Full Version : Elks in Elkford

rapid shot
10-12-2016, 09:11 AM
Just down the road from Chera's. The owner is asking people to take them in the farm.

ramcam
10-12-2016, 06:31 PM
That's in town limits, beside the golf course.

Bugle M In
10-12-2016, 06:38 PM
Crossbow opportunity ....I suppose???

Otchunting
10-12-2016, 09:56 PM
Does anyone have a contact for the owner?

Thanks

j270wsm
10-13-2016, 04:58 AM
RAPID SHOT, not sure where you got your info but it's wrong!!!!!!!!! As ramcam said, it's in town limits and is a no hunting zone. The property is not a farm, it's owned by Teck.

Rhyno
10-13-2016, 05:47 AM
Not to mention there is no GOS for antlerless elk.

Xenomorph
10-13-2016, 08:21 AM
That's one way of flooding the area ...good one.

gunpower
10-13-2016, 09:50 AM
And it is elk- not elks !!!

dog812
10-13-2016, 09:20 PM
I got a Leh for there a couple years ago.
We hunted so hard for two weeks. Saw lots of grizz but no elk not in the mine. Watched a 7x6 every morning like 200 yards on mine property. Saw a herd of 60+ also on mine property.... Was frustrating. Then finally on the last day got one. Thanks to some help from a local from this site.

300H&H
10-14-2016, 06:56 PM
I got a Leh for there a couple years ago.
We hunted so hard for two weeks. Saw lots of grizz but no elk not in the mine. Watched a 7x6 every morning like 200 yards on mine property. Saw a herd of 60+ also on mine property.... Was frustrating. Then finally on the last day got one. Thanks to some help from a local from this site.

Dad and I had a draw for that area also.
Every single elk (with the exception of one) was on mine property.

gunpower
10-14-2016, 08:03 PM
Dad and I had a draw for that area also.

Every single elk (with the exception of one) was on mine property.
You were just hunting in the wrong places , The elk read the regs every year and know where to go during hunting season.
If you knew my son he would take you out or show you where to go. He and my grandson had there elk in the first 4 days of elk season!!
I guess that's what happens when you have lived your whole life in the Elk Valley!!

300H&H
10-14-2016, 08:07 PM
You were just hunting in the wrong places , The elk read the regs every year and know where to go during hunting season.
If you knew my son he would take you out or show you where to go. He and my grandson had there elk in the first 4 days of elk season!!
I guess that's what happens when you have lived your whole life in the Elk Valley!!

Ummmm....is that a "offer" ?

j270wsm
10-14-2016, 09:04 PM
I have made multiple offers to help people find elk in 4-23, and have been honoured to meet - luck of the draw, Charlie horse and dog812. All great guys who hunt way harder for elk than I do. Dog812 tagged his cow and luck of the draw and Charlie horse seen 20+ bulls but couldn't find a 6pt.

As gunpower said, my son and I were both tagged out on elk by sept 14th. I posted my sons elk story from this year but decided my story was too boring to post.

Bugle M In
10-14-2016, 11:46 PM
I have made multiple offers to help people find elk in 4-23, and have been honoured to meet - luck of the draw, Charlie horse and dog812. All great guys who hunt way harder for elk than I do. Dog812 tagged his cow and luck of the draw and Charlie horse seen 20+ bulls but couldn't find a 6pt.

As gunpower said, my son and I were both tagged out on elk by sept 14th. I posted my sons elk story from this year but decided my story was too boring to post.

I'm about ready for a new area....can ya pm me an area or 2 for next season!:lol:

j270wsm
10-15-2016, 07:57 AM
The elk population in this portion of 4-23 is is getting lower and lower every year. Areas where I've always seen elk had very little sign or activity. 2 guys I work with put 60+km on horse and foot in the back country and didn't see any elk.

But it you really want to head this way next fall..............pm me.

Bugle M In
10-15-2016, 11:56 AM
The elk population in this portion of 4-23 is is getting lower and lower every year. Areas where I've always seen elk had very little sign or activity. 2 guys I work with put 60+km on horse and foot in the back country and didn't see any elk.

But it you really want to head this way next fall..............pm me.

What you just stated is exactly what is happening where I hunt.
I hunt hard, and far, and know the watershed where I hunt very well.
I know how the elk traditional moved, and locations they liked to hole up in.
Been doing it over 30 years there now, my father even longer.
The Elk just don't seem to be around.
The guys that hunted way back in the high country with horses...well..
they just aren't coming back any longer.
I'm from the LM, so I don't have a few advantages as the locals or forestry fellow/gals,
so for me, it makes it hard to know what is going on.
Thanks for the pm offer, I appreciate that, but I fear elk are in major decline right now.
And, it's seems they are in the lowlands now, and easy pickings, but these are also the same
elk that should have gone back to the high country but aren't.
So, we are not making the situation any better I fear.....IMO

wiggy
10-16-2016, 10:01 PM
Hint. The elk aren't in the backcountry

Bugle M In
10-16-2016, 11:32 PM
Hint. The elk aren't in the backcountry

Ya...saw that on my drive.
10 cows and 1 large bull on someone's farm field.
5 cows and another big bull on another 10 minute later.
I believe you.