PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clean moose skull for Euro?

allan
10-10-2016, 03:58 PM
Well I've finally arrowed something I'm proud enough to hang on the wall and would like to do a Euro mount with my moose.
Can anyone give me pointers or advice on the best way to go about it?
I have never kept any head farther then I need to for proof of sex and have never cared before. This is a new challenge for me and I could use any help full tips
Thanks!

ItsGrouseTalk
10-10-2016, 04:06 PM
Remove as much meat as possible before. Remove the lower jaw also and boil as well if you want to keep it, or just discard, but either way it will fall off. Also don't actually boil, instead simmer. Boiling just weakens the bones quicker.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-10-2016, 04:12 PM
As above, Remove all meat you can, stir the brains with a wire or something so they aren't hard-boiled in place,,,,,,boil for 20-25(thrown in some Dawn)...then pressure wash with a good pressure washer. Keeping your boiling time down with keep the teeth in place and everything will remain solid....then peroxide.

GetLethal
10-10-2016, 04:18 PM
I did the above methods mentioned on my deer skull this year and it worked great. Simmer in the soapy water, scrape/poke/pressure wash and repeat until all of the meat is off of the skull. Then soak in peroxide. Just make sure you keep the rack out of the water or the bases might discolor.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-10-2016, 04:31 PM
I did the above methods mentioned on my deer skull this year and it worked great. Simmer in the soapy water, scrape/poke/pressure wash and repeat until all of the meat is off of the skull. Then soak in peroxide. Just make sure you keep the rack out of the water or the bases might discolor.

Right You can wrap the bases in multiple wraps of tinfoil. This will help to reduce discolouration but won't stop it altogether

Ferenc
10-10-2016, 05:12 PM
If the teeth do become loose.. Crazy glue is your friend : )

GetLethal
10-10-2016, 05:13 PM
If the teeth do become loose.. Crazy glue is your friend : )
Nose bones too

smallfry14
10-10-2016, 05:17 PM
Pics or it didnt happen! ;)

Cyrus
10-10-2016, 06:01 PM
when its done and dry brush on some elmers white glue to add some strength. leaves a nice matte finish too

allan
10-10-2016, 06:59 PM
Oh it happened my friend!! :) I will write a bit of a story before I post pics. I'm new at that too as I've never had anything worth posting!!

panhead
10-11-2016, 08:43 AM
My partner just throws the whole head into the salt chuck and leaves it there for a while ... say's it works great but I've never tried it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As I often say to the scrimpers and savers, the overly risk averse, the fanatical tree huggers, the vegans… Probably your best bet is just to shoot yourself right now.

dog812
10-11-2016, 08:15 PM
We simmer the head, then use a pressure washer to get all the meat and brains out. It's messy..
Then simmer again with green degreaser.
Then bleach the skull with formula 40 hair dresser stuff.

Slinky Pickle
10-11-2016, 09:02 PM
This guy does a good job of showing you what to do in his various videos. I've down about half a dozen using ideas from him.

https://youtu.be/lXxuuxhc308

Stone Sheep Steve
10-11-2016, 09:30 PM
My taxi also swears by a rotating head on a pressure washer but
they are not cheap

Caribou_lou
10-11-2016, 09:53 PM
My taxi also swears by a rotating head on a pressure washer but
they are not cheap

I have used straight stream and rotating. Rotating is much better. It will save you lots of time and effort. Worth the money!

allan
10-11-2016, 11:27 PM
I tried the rotating head ( rotary nozzle) before even simmering the head today. It will remove right to the bone if your patient enough on the cheek. I just checked my head and turned it to simmer the other way .
My friend said baking soda in the water is a good idea I will try that on my second boil after I pressure wash it tomorrow.
I have a diesel heater hot water pressure washer that rips pretty good. It should remove flesh pretty good.

I aslo made a pithing rod for cordless drill to agitate the brain then blasted it out with rotary nozzle before it hit the hot water.
That was the only time I got a little grossed out as grey mater mist came blasting back out at me as I got a little too close to the head ! :)