PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on my gear from recent trip

Lastcar
10-10-2016, 11:26 AM
Just back from a 5 day goat hunt in the Kootenays. Thought I would do a quick summary of the gear I packed and my thoughts.

Pack: Stone Glacier Sky Archer 6200 with lid and Access Bag. http://www.stoneglacier.com/hunting-packs/zt75cjc6uudujtuuac0mm18bahxoa5

After some help with fitting from SR80 before the trip, I am very pleased with it. Had some doubts last year, but knew I didn't have it fit properly.

Tons of room, lid holds a lot and can prove very handy but gets a little messy if you are not using something to keep loose ends organized.

First time with the Access bag attached to the back of the pack adding 900 cubic inches. Also handy for quick access to items like rain gear and layers.

Ditched the spotting scope pocket and likely won't go back. Was never a fan and the Approach bag has taken its spot. May try it on the side one day, though.

Had two medium hip pouches, one for snacks and one for gloves or beanies, etc.

I'd like to give the Talus bag a go, as I am not sure I'd ever need to strap a bow to the bag as the Archer allows easily. But I can't rule out a pack in archery trip in that first week of September one of these years.

Clothing:

Sitka Gear: Timberline Jacket & Pants, Merino zip tee, medium weight core zip tee, silk boxers, Dewpoint rain gear

Timberline pants continue to be the rock star pants. I love them, knee pads and suspenders are something I didn't care about. Until I had them. The rocky and rough terrain the knee pads came in handy when needing to be low to the ground. Having no belt under the pack and using suspenders makes for no fussing when lining up the hip belt on the pack. Perfect warmth for this trip. Lots of room to layer under for when you get into the below zero. Ample pockets including secure zipping ones for anything you certainly can't lose.

Timberline jacket saw minimal use; temps were higher than anticipated. So can't comment much. Seems good, though, but not very breathable. So not sure where I stand on it yet. Not quiet but not overly loud either. Needs more time in it to figure out where I stand. If you are thinking of buying one but cringe at a price, I would hold off. May not be what you expected. The thing is damn pricey.

Merino Zip Tee, the Sitka Merino has always been my favorite of the merino I have tried. I have it in the gray, so it is versatile for every day where too. Just does what it should and is comfortable.

Silk boxers, comfy and seem to hold things where they should. No idea if they are made of silk, or they are describing that the fabric is smooth and soft. Don't appear to get too stinky. In fact, on day five if I had been sniffing my underwear at the end of the trip (ok fine, I did) the odor wasn't too bad at all. My guess is Saxx are superior, but I have three pairs of these silks so it'll be awhile until I try them.

Took the Stormfront gloves, but they saw no use. Seem like they will be fantastic in temps well below freezing, high winds or rain. The liner is easily removed so you can layer a lot of other gloves under the shell, which comes way up your arm.

Merino beanie, as goofy as it looks it is often my go-to headwear when the temps or wind cross the line from the ball cap. Also just does what it should and is easy to layer under a ball cap or additional toque like pieces.

Jetstream Beanie, windproof and light insulation. Was dynamite for glass sessions.

Firstlite: Chame Hoody and Slate gloves.

Chama Hoody fell out of favor with me for a time this spring, but I was crazy to think I'd stop using it. Comfy, warm and a perfect layering piece or as a top layer. Will be with me for a long time and I highly recommend it.

Slate gloves, also a winner. Just the right amount of insulation and have leather (goat skin) is all the right places to make it a versatile and durable glove. Were on my hands the whole time.

KUIU: Zip off merino bottoms, down glassing mitts, gaiters

There zip off bottoms continue to amaze me that it isn't more common. Being up to layer up or down under your pants without taking them or your boots off is the best. I have looked around and haven't found other outdoor clothing companies doing this, but may be some. Not a huge fan of the merino blend as far as feel against the skin but seems to be fine as far as performance goes.

Down glassing mitts, not sure what to think. Didn't need them but tried them around camp one night. Didn't float my boat but can see why they may be dynamite when sitting on your butt glassing in crisp weather. But will need more time with them.

Gaiter, they just do what they should. Seem sturdy as heck and easy to deal with. But really, they are gaiters. With any kinds of effort, how could a company screw up gaiters, other than cheapening out on materials. 4oz lighter than Sitka but heavier than OR gaiters. Which seem to have a no questions asked warranty.

Darn Tough socks, tons of reviews out there and the best socks I have used yet. But with boots and socks, everyone is different. But worth a try if you are in the sock market.

Camp gear:

Shelter Seek Outside LBO Base-Tarp-Vestibule combo with 12" Ti wood stove. This thing continues to shine. A ton of room (almost ridiculous for two guys and gear), floorless, three entrances, the stove, is a beauty for warmth and to keep a guy entertained. All under 4lbs. Standard condensation with any single wall shelter, although I am going to try some pitching variations to allow more airflow.

Stove, MSR Winderburner, moved to his last year from the Jetboil. A few ounces heavier but more sturdy and seems to boild water faster. Primarily used in the tent, but if using outdoors in a breeze would certainly out perform the Jetboil. MSR knows what they are doing and tends to make good stuff. Jetboil was plenty ample too. So six of one, half-dozen of the other. But if in the market for a new stove, I'd take a good look at the Windburner.

Enlightened Equipment quilts, continue to be a fan. I can't stand turning into a sausage overnight. I use two, a 40 degree and 20 degrees. On colder trips I combo them up with the special straps they offer for this purpose. I wish I had gone 30 degrees and 10 degrees and will send them back to have more down added. First night temp was below zero, and I was sweating most of the night. Layered down for the rest of the trip at bedtime and was fine. And never once thought I got caught in Chinese finger trap. You have options to wrap it as snug as you like under your sleeping pad, just depending on how much you want to be able to vent during the night or keep all the heat in.

Thermarest X-Therm - all the crinkling it is known for is now broken in or more so out and it is a great pad. Warm as hell. Just does what it should and is plenty light. Highly recommend.

Luci Lantern - is a rechargeable solar "lantern." Can put off some pretty good light but nothing that you'd read by at any distance from. But it lights up the shelter enough to do basic tasks without a head lamp. But more importantly to me, it lights it up enough to make it feel a little homier and comfortable. Makes it feel just a little less that you are in a tent. And saves on batteries in your head lamp. Well worth the 2.5 oz.

Lastcar
10-10-2016, 11:26 AM
Optics

Alaska Guide Creations Bino harness. I think I have the KISS with basement. Works plenty fine, has the right number of places to store things and just does what it should, No complaints, nothing stands out. Which is usually a sign of the perfect product? While I am intrigued to try an FHF harness, it is nothing more than curiosity. Likely to be happy for some time with the AGC.

Sirui T-025x tripod with Manfrotto 49c ball head. Still like this thing and it is nice and light, But am not sure if it is as steady as I would like. Going to order a Promaster XC525C and Benro S2 head today and give that a go. Will end up at a pound heavier but the extra stability will be nice if it is there. Shame to have good glass and still get the most out of it. Continue to be 100% sold on binos on a tripod. Pretty much anytime I am going to glass with them for more than a few minutes tripod comes off the pack and on go the binos. The 60 seconds that takes to get set up is more than worth it. Especially with 10s.

Razor HD 85mm spotter. Again seems to be plenty fine for my needs and I got a screaming deal on it two summers ago. New in the box for around 1300 Canadian. No idea why but one of the US photo and optics company had them on sale that low. The dollar was good then I couldn't help myself. But another reason I want a sturdier tripod. A lot of weight on my current setup. Although a better head on it may make a ton of different.

Delorme Inreach, lots to be found about it online. Another thing that just does what it should and is nice for peace of mind. For me when I am out there and for those at home. Only send a few messages back and forth. Each comes with a link to my location so if something were to happen she'd be able to tip the authorities off to a ballpark location. Of course there is the SOS button if I need it.

GAIA GPS app on my iPhone. Works like a normal GPS. Don't keep the phone on all the time. Comes on to take pictures or to review topo maps and satellite images as needed. Mark trailheads or the location we made substantial shifts in course when not on trails. Mark waypoints of good glassing spots or other things of note. Can download many maps views and options. Easy to do and I fit the area and much more on my phone with room to spare. Even when we totally changed zones quite a ways from the planned trip I still had the maps, topo and satellite. No plans to have gone that far astray from our plans, but I just grabbed a huge swath when downloading. You do need to be smart about power but like any GPS no need to have it on all day anyways. I bring a spare battery to top the phone up but rarely need it.

Can't think of any other odds and ends that are worth mentioning but if I think of them, I'll update this.

Hope this helps anyone contemplating new gear.

Pinewood
10-10-2016, 07:57 PM
Great post with lots of good info. Thanks for posting. It really seems Seek Outside has some top quality gear.

Ry151
10-10-2016, 09:03 PM
Great review. Thanks. I now have some shopping to do lol

Elkaholic
10-11-2016, 06:50 AM
Great insight into the gear used. This will benefit anybody who reads this. Thanks for taking the time.

NorBC
10-11-2016, 06:59 AM
People don't realize how awesome that Gaia app is, every one should buy it.. Should be noted that you don't need service to use the app.

Kopper
10-11-2016, 07:28 AM
^Completely agree. It uses a lot of juice when making a track so carrying a portable charge stick on multi-day trips helps.

Lastcar
10-11-2016, 09:02 AM
People don't realize how awesome that Gaia app is, every one should buy it.. Should be noted that you don't need service to use the app.

100%. Go into Airplane mode and you can stretch it out along ways. Tracking does kill the battery pretty quick. While it is cool to be able to see the stats of the trip, you are going to lose out on battery life. I love seeing the stats after a long trip in and out but depends on the amount of days I'll be counting on it.

AgSilver
10-11-2016, 11:37 AM
The problem with Gaia is that the aerial maps are only ok. I wish I could have Google Earth offline.

Chopper
10-11-2016, 11:41 AM
I have the stone glacier 6200 ... unreal pack , when your In shape and the pack is adjusted and packed properly, you barely know its there.

Lastcar
10-11-2016, 12:44 PM
The problem with Gaia is that the aerial maps are only ok. I wish I could have Google Earth offline.

Truth. Although I believe if you dig around there may be a way. Pretty sure you can upload your own maps...just a matter if you can download a map file from Google Earth.

I often set out to find a way but then end up on the politics thread on here. And there goes 4 hours...I have no maps and no idea if I am any better off for what I just read. ;-)

I'm blown away at how well the Google Earth desktop or mobile app works. Amazing the "scouting" you can do prior to a trip. Any better and you'd be able to find the goats before a guy even left! ;-)

Lastcar
10-11-2016, 12:53 PM
I have the stone glacier 6200 ... unreal pack , when your In shape and the pack is adjusted and packed properly, you barely know its there.

Ya, I was pretty pleased. No matter what pack, if you don't have it fitted properly you can't blame the pack. Once fitted well, then you can tell if it is a match for you. But it is tricky sometimes to be willing to constantly fiddle until you get it right.

I also tried something I heard from one of the guys at Exo. I used no stuff sacks. Odds and ends went into a kifaru zip up and the rest went in loose. Quilts were just stuffed into the bottom in their storage bag. Clothes likewise. Socks, under-roos and shirts went in a larger than needed zip up as well so it was as good as loose. Shelter went in my partner's pack but he did the same. Just stuffed it in.

The theory is you are not stuffing a bunch of hard stuff sacks in your pack, akin to a half dozen bowling balls. Allows the pack to fill out better and form a more natural shape. Certainly got everything I'd have gotten in if using stuff sacks to make a bunch of bowling balls.

Seemed to be true. Pack rode better, was easier to get at things I needed. Never felt it was a hot mess in there. All the ticky tacky things were in the lid. Extra layers in the access pouch on the back.

In fact, you sure notice what you are bringing when you watch it all march into the pack. Those stuff sacks are like trojan horses, all kinds of things hidden in them you thought was a swell idea.

Felt good enough to keep trying it until proven otherwise. Brought a contractor bag if we ended up with wet stuff, like rain gear or had to load wet shelter in the pack. So other stuff wouldn't get wet.

DMD
10-11-2016, 03:10 PM
Try gps kit. You can download the google earth imagery.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
10-25-2016, 12:18 PM
Nice . Thank you for taking the time . Really Excellent reviews.. looking forward to more. i just updated my Christmas list .. The Firstlite Chama Hoody and the Slate gloves . which exact model are you using ? The lil bug out shelter looks really cool !. i like that .. some photos of the set up and the stove would be awesome .. and by the way . how did your goat hunt go ?