PDA

View Full Version : Missing Spatsizi hunter

BCrams
06-27-2007, 04:37 PM
A reminder for those who are still planning their foray into the Spatsizi or for those who are contemplating a solo trip.

http://www.missinginspatsizi.com/ (http://www.missinginspatsizi.com/)

frenchbar
06-27-2007, 05:22 PM
Same thing happend to a felow from Lillooet quite a few yrs back up in the Relay crk area.him and a buddy went out for a day hunt ,split up when they left the pickup,one of them was never to be seen again,never did find a trace of clothing or any of his belongings.

oscar makonka
06-27-2007, 05:30 PM
I remember going on that search party, there was absolutely no trace of the guy anywhere, almost like he didn't want to be found.

Jelvis
06-27-2007, 05:40 PM
Thanks BCrams I was dreaming about sheep hunting, but it turned into a nightmare, I'll stick in Reg 3 for monster muleys and spike/fork mooses. Jelly Bean

rollingrock
06-27-2007, 07:46 PM
Too bad...could he be lost in the mountain and still alive living like a caveman?

StoneChaser
06-27-2007, 09:17 PM
Sad, but an extended solo trip in the mountains in September is just asking for trouble...

browningboy
06-27-2007, 09:44 PM
I've never heard of hunters disappearing all together without a trace, thats harsh but with some areas I guess it can happen but would be tough when with a partner. Common sense comes into play but everyone will get into a pickle every now and then, especially me!:mrgreen:

srupp
06-27-2007, 09:58 PM
Hmm as a qualified Military air spotter it is amazing how well stuff just blends in...downed aircraft are damned hard to find at times..let alone a solo hiker in sept. in camo....

Caveman
06-27-2007, 10:48 PM
Hmm as a qualified Military air spotter it is amazing how well stuff just blends in...downed aircraft are damned hard to find at times..let alone a solo hiker in sept. in camo....

Steven, is that through CASARA ? If so what a coincidence.

hunter1947
06-28-2007, 05:39 AM
You never go alone back into that kind of country ,you are just asking for it ,i feel for the family and friends ,i hope they the hunters can find him this year.

BearSniper
06-28-2007, 07:01 AM
Man that is really tragic:frown:

Judging by the pictures, its incredibly beautiful, yet, wild & dangerous country. As Hunter1947 said, best to have a partner there.

If he's in cammo gear, it would be virtually impossible to spot from the air, especially in dense ground cover.

I suppose this would be a damn good argument for renting or investing in a satellite phone & GPS unit.

I feel sad, as I'm sure we all would, for the family:frown:

ratherbefishin
06-28-2007, 07:34 AM
yah,I read a story a few years ago about a solo goat hunter who fell and broke a leg-a death sentance except he had a sat phone, and was picked up and in the hospital within hours.Of course-he was concious-if he wasn't it wouldn't have helped.Funny though-trappers never went in pairs-but I suppose a few of them disapeared too

bigwhiteys
06-28-2007, 08:15 AM
A solo sheep hunt for me will probably never be in the cards... Too much to risk... The sheep mountains of BC are very unforgiving places.

Hopefully someone, someday will stumble across him and the family can have their closure.

Carl

Fisher-Dude
06-28-2007, 08:35 AM
A friend of my brother found the "cedar hat man" in either Tatshenshini or Spatsizi (can't remember which one now :frown: ) a few years ago. That fellow had been frozen in the edge of a glacier for about 500 years they figure. Lots of history up there.

Hope they find the missing fellow for the family.

kutenay
06-28-2007, 08:37 AM
I have done a lot of multi-day backpacks in some rough, remote areas; it is risky and requires experience, topnotch gear and, especially, the judgement and self-discipline that tells you when to backoff. So far, I have done many treks in the Valhallas, as rough an area as any in BC, over Earl Grey Pass some 30 years ago and through much of Kokanee Glacier as well as other BC areas.

I enjoy it, but, I have never had kids, my wife accepts that I need this just as she needs her high-powered urban-based career and I can accept the risks as it will not damage anyone else if I "go under" when in the bush.

This poor chap just came to what we all must and at least he lies in a place where he wanted to be, as wonderful as any, "this side of Paradise"' and I hope that his wife and kids can take solace from knowing that he died, fulfilling his dreams..........

A former schoolmate of mine, in Nelson, and a good friend of my hunting partner were two of guys who found that frozen hunter from long ago.....things haven't changed all THAT much, eh?

BearSniper
06-28-2007, 08:54 AM
Yes true, he went doing something he loved.

You could make an argument that getting out of bed in the morning involves risks. Heck , all of life involves risks. Try driving after midnight in the lower mainland- 50% of all motorists on the road at that time have consumed alcohol, and of that, half are legally impaired. Sooner or later you'll get schmucked:frown:

I remember hearing a saying that "too many people die with the music still in them" . In that, they never took any risks in life or never lived it to the fullest.

Perhaps that why we go out into the bush knowing the dangers involved, even though we still keep common sense around us. I think thats part of what the non hunting crowd doesn't understand. Someone once said: "you'll never learn anything about yourself and others, unless you're willing to step out of your comfort zone".

I take my hat off and mourn the loss of a hunter doing something he had a passion for, and I have the greatest respect for the courage it took to face his end alone.

hunter1947
06-28-2007, 04:36 PM
Yes true, he went doing something he loved.

You could make an argument that getting out of bed in the morning involves risks. Heck , all of life involves risks. Try driving after midnight in the lower mainland- 50% of all motorists on the road at that time have consumed alcohol, and of that, half are legally impaired. Sooner or later you'll get schmucked:frown:

I remember hearing a saying that "too many people die with the music still in them" . In that, they never took any risks in life or never lived it to the fullest.

Perhaps that why we go out into the bush knowing the dangers involved, even though we still keep common sense around us. I think thats part of what the non hunting crowd doesn't understand. Someone once said: "you'll never learn anything about yourself and others, unless you're willing to step out of your comfort zone".

I take my hat off and mourn the loss of a hunter doing something he had a passion for, and I have the greatest respect for the courage it took to face his end alone.

At least there are people around when you are in the city ,but to go into a remote area by your self ,and no one there ,your just asking for it ,this missing hunter puts me a mind of the Timmy mcbay thing.

daycort
06-28-2007, 05:40 PM
there is a sense of acomplishment when you do something yourself. I don't mind it at all by myself although it is easier to go with a hunting partner. Myself i could go with or without company, it probably isn't anymore dangerous then driving. You have to know your limits and stay within them. As soon as you second guess yourself you are buggered. Still this is very sad and i hope the family has found some peace.

Jetboater
06-28-2007, 06:03 PM
my friend broke his leg last year after he shot his ram in the lytton /lilloett area, crawled out with his ram on his back, he was lucky he was a Km from the truck when it happened, he ended up having to drive to the lytten hospital, driving a standard, he said that was worse than the crawl.

Chuck
06-28-2007, 09:58 PM
That's for sure guys, but then there are some like trappers or prospectors who have managed for many years alone in the bush and about the only thing that has happened to them is they begin to talk to themselves and turn a bit strange. But yah, bad things will happen, and families will suffer.

Pete
06-29-2007, 10:01 PM
Folks........People disappear. I can name several examples where individuals have gone into areas and never been heard of again. I personally know of at least 8 instances. For example; Anyone hunting up in the Beaver Lake Country West of Windfileld, a chap went missing 2 years ago. To date there has been no remains found. Again in the same area about 15 years ago another man walked away from a vehicle and no trace of him has been found either. This is all despite large searches being mounted by Ground SAR personel as well as RCMP dog section, Helicopter and fixed wing aircraft. Closure is an issue here not only for the families but for those who spent countless hour looking for these missing people. If you come across anything that might give a clue as to the whereabouts of these and other missing persons please contact your nearest RCMP
thanks
Pete

300 wsm
06-29-2007, 11:20 PM
it is in tha back country rule book dont go alone atleast thats according to my set rule book if u go alone make sure u leave a detaiiled set of plans with ur lovedones it is a sad story but also a lesson to be learned s$it can and well go wrong in tha back country i pray for this fellas family and him for a safe returni will leave this topic on that a prayer we all need em once in awhile right?

7 mag
06-29-2007, 11:41 PM
A friend of my brother found the "cedar hat man" in either Tatshenshini or Spatsizi (can't remember which one now :frown: ) a few years ago. That fellow had been frozen in the edge of a glacier for about 500 years they figure. Lots of history up there.

Hope they find the missing fellow for the family.

Fisher Dude; I know the fellow who found the "Ceder Hat Man" exuse my proper pronunciation.
He went back in 2 yrs later & found the rest of the remains. Truly a remarkible discovery on everyones part (considering they were low life SHEEP HUNTERS) LOL
I quess all i'm saying is some of the best naturalist's are - CONSERVATIONALIST'S/ ENVIORMENTENTALIST'S & HUNTERS.

GOD BLESS!

300 wsm
06-30-2007, 12:15 AM
mr kutenay sure u might think no one will suffer what u have no cousins no uncles are aunts so what u have no kids think farther than kids u r askin 4 trouble one day but eh i am not here to preach

kutenay
06-30-2007, 04:39 AM
That IS a bit too personal as MY relationships with relatives (or yours) are really a private matter.

I HAD to work alone in extremely remote wilderness areas from 1967 to 1993, it was part of my job. I also am from a pioneer family and was raised by men who spent winters alone on traplines and summers alone prospecting. I am 61 years old and I KNOW what I am doing in the bush and do NOT take foolish chances.

Some people are suited for solo bush work/life and others are not, Im have always enjoyed it and would actually live in wilderness northern BC by choice if I were single.

The real issue here is that SOME choose to accept a different level of risk in certain aspects of life than others and sometimes that results in death/injury. The gentleman in question MAY WELL have been killed even WITH a companion, who knows, it never is certain that you will come home.....or, even wake up every morning......

horshur
06-30-2007, 07:57 AM
The real issue here is that SOME choose to accept a different level of risk in certain aspects of life than others and sometimes that results in death/injury. The gentleman in question MAY WELL have been killed even WITH a companion, who knows, it never is certain that you will come home.....or, even wake up every morning......

Worst that can happen is you die a little sooner.

338 winmag
06-30-2007, 08:24 AM
death is a reality for all of us , i hope my last days are spent in the mountains not lying around in some old folks home.

dana
06-30-2007, 08:27 AM
Fact is you have a much higher chance of getting killed in a vehicle accident in this province than in the bush. I've worked solo in the bush and I've hunted solo. I will continue to do so. I feel a much higher level of security when I am in the bush than when I am in a city. If you use your head, the wilderness is pretty damn safe. A city on the otherhand is totally unpredictable. I'd rather have a face to face with a sow grizzly than be in downtown Van.

rollingrock
06-30-2007, 08:44 AM
Fact is you have a much higher chance of getting killed in a vehicle accident in this province than in the bush. I've worked solo in the bush and I've hunted solo. I will continue to do so. I feel a much higher level of security when I am in the bush than when I am in a city. If you use your head, the wilderness is pretty damn safe. A city on the otherhand is totally unpredictable. I'd rather have a face to face with a sow grizzly than be in downtown Van.

DT Van isn't that bad if you use the same common sense as you use while in the bush. 8)

338 winmag
06-30-2007, 08:48 AM
Fact is you have a much higher chance of getting killed in a vehicle accident in this province than in the bush. I've worked solo in the bush and I've hunted solo. I will continue to do so. I feel a much higher level of security when I am in the bush than when I am in a city. If you use your head, the wilderness is pretty damn safe. A city on the otherhand is totally unpredictable.
I'd rather have a face to face with a sow grizzly than be in downtown Van.been under both situations , need a few minutes to decide which one was worse.

kutenay
06-30-2007, 08:49 AM
I gotta agree with Dana, I worked security alone in some of the worst parts of Vancouver for years, a second job to afford my guns, gear and so forth. I feel MUCH safer in the bush as Vancouver IS getting pretty bad and nobody seems to care, except for the "poor little victim" lobby.

StoneChaser
06-30-2007, 09:29 AM

Many of us work and hunt alone in the woods, often a LONG distance from other humans and our pick up, and most have walked around Vancouver at night.

A good bunch of us also likely do short solo backpack trips into wilds for days at a time...

However, there is a HUGE difference between these types of excu1rsions, and a 3 Week solo backpack trip into the Cassiar country in mid-late September...not even comparable!

Grizz are a small worry up there, at that time of year falling and freezing to death would be my first concern.

oscar makonka
06-30-2007, 07:44 PM
I would feel a whole lot more secure if I could pack a .338 with a .45 chaser on Hastings street, since I can't I'll just stay in the bush where I know its safe. The animals in the hills are a whole lot more predictable and trustworthy than the animals downtown.

GoatGuy
06-30-2007, 10:07 PM
Plenty of guys have died when together or being guided. Slipin on a log down the river, off the cliff, heart attack, horse kicks you, whatever.

I've often thought I'd be better off by myself than packing a wheezing, clumsy, heart attack waiting in the wings, hunter with a sat phone - course they're probably happy their with somebody than by themselves :neutral:

If I have a tag in my pocket and no one to go with I go anyways.

The Hermit
07-01-2007, 01:23 PM
I did a lot of solo hunting a few years back. I liked it a lot and was probably more careful and paid more attention to every detail than I tend to do when I am out with others. I know that is stupid but its just human nature. when we "feel" safer then we tend to relax more. Personally I like that hightened sense of being a little on edge, acutely aware when I'm out walking around in the back country.