PDA

View Full Version : Elk Bait

nelsonob1
10-10-2016, 09:20 AM
What would be best for attracting elk? I have buckets of several grains including summer grain, corn, oats, chick peas and other grains. Heading to EK later this week and would like to set up a tree stand over a spot.

thx in advance for any help.

silvertip0260
10-10-2016, 09:22 AM
Pretty sure it is illegal to bait in BC

Shikari300WSM
10-10-2016, 09:25 AM
It's legal to bait elk and deer in bc. Illegal to bait bears. If I had a selection like you I might try a mix of everything. But I don't think you can go wrong with the corn!!

nelsonob1
10-10-2016, 09:31 AM
Thx Shikari, I was thinking that. Maybe throw in some salt too. I'll post how it works out.

Mulehahn
10-10-2016, 09:32 AM
It is only illegal to "to intentionally feed or attempt to feed dangerous wildlife (cougar, coyote, wolf and bear)," elk are fine.

As for the original question, all of what you have will work. The problem is getting the bait pike established. Grains like that are often eaten quickly by a variety of animals or will not be discovered by the elk. If you know they are in the area the best option may to set up a few smaller baits in the area so they become accustom and with a focus towards your stand.

Pioneerman
10-10-2016, 09:42 AM
It is only illegal to "to intentionally feed or attempt to feed dangerous wildlife (cougar, coyote, wolf and bear)," elk are fine.

As for the original question, all of what.

Only illegal to bait bears

Pioneerman
10-10-2016, 09:47 AM

As for the original question, all of what.

Only illegal to bait bears

Looks like you got part of the information from the regs
18. To intentionally feed or attempt to feed dangerous wildlife (cougar, coyote, wolf and bear) except when lawfully engaged in hunting or trapping where baiting is authorized.
19. to hunt bears by placing bait or by using a dead animal or using part of it as bait.to shoot wildlife from a motor vehicle or

BRvalley
10-10-2016, 10:01 AM
this sounds like a one time stand/bait pile effort? so everything you have will work I'm sure, scouting to select a promising location will matter more than what specific bait you use imo...if it was a long term stand then it's very good chance of having a bear find your location and sit on your bait till it's gone, no good

I prefer to use alfalfa or horse hay...don't put out expensive grains until November

Shikari300WSM
10-10-2016, 10:36 AM
Thx Shikari, I was thinking that. Maybe throw in some salt too. I'll post how it works out.

Hey no worries bud. Like BRvalley posted alfalfa is a pretty good idea too. Cheap and effective! I don't know where you are hunting but if it's near agricultural fields the alfalfa/hay combo can work great too. And like MuleHahn said the establishment may be an issue but if you are seeing elk and finding fresh sign in your area then the baits should do the job. But that's the thing - you need to confirm they are in the area before throwing any baits out!

Yes please.make sure you let us all know how it goes - and good luck!

Mulehahn
10-10-2016, 11:09 AM
Yes. Can bait wolves and yotes. Not cougars i believe when hunting