PDA

View Full Version : Hunting ground blinds

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
10-09-2016, 09:43 PM
So Tonight . I Was Hunting using a ground blind on a river flat . A Ground Max Matrix.. first time ever i was in one .. i loved it . i want one . i just wanted to know what everyone else has.. i probaby wont be using it for archery much . just rifle season . Elk or Whitetail . I Had one of those little folding 3 leg chairs to sit on.. The chair was a little low for me . the windows a little high . Im a bigger dude . 6 feet 250 Pds.. Myself and the owner were cozy .. but there was still things i noticed .. First, was there was only one small pocket to keep gear in . no hangers of any kind to hang gear , jackets , bugles .. etc.. But it did do nice to cut the wind and keep us hidden . i was amazed how fast we put it up , Easy as Pie .. So what would you recommend ?

Sitkaspruce
10-10-2016, 08:52 PM
I have 4 of them:

- Ameristep Brickhouse - My first one, a definitely a gun/xbow only blind, good for one person, had 4 years and so far no problems.
- Ameristep Bone collector Brotherhood - My biggest one, tons of room, can be used for archery, but is designed for gun/xbow.
- Ameristep Bone Collector - My one and only archery blind, with the long narrow windows allow for shooting for a chair. is also good for gun/xbow.
- Barronett Grounder 250 - Good blind with lots of room, gun/xbow blind.

I am 6" 205 and all these fit me fine with room for my pack, heater and tripod. I use either a plastic deck chair or good quality camping chair, with arm rest as I find them handy when sitting all day. I add a butt cushion for insulation. What ever you use, make sure you are comfortable. I either wear my stuff or carry it in my pack, so never thought of storage etc. I have only used mine in late season and they are nice in the cold with the heater going.

Look for deals at Canadian Tire as they usually clear them out after the season at 40-50% off, same as Cabelas.

Cheers

SS

markt308
10-10-2016, 08:55 PM
yep I have an ameristep as well. can't remember the exact model but it has been fun to use over the years in certain situations

Stone Sheep Steve
10-10-2016, 09:02 PM
I have an Ameristep Doghouse and Ameristep Carnivore. The doghouse is
cozy for two people and too small for archery so I upgraded to the Carnivore. Bought it
it on sale for 50% off but have yet to use it.

Jagermeister
10-10-2016, 11:37 PM
So Tonight . I Was Hunting using a ground blind on a river flat . A Ground Max Matrix.. first time ever i was in one .. i loved it . i want one . i just wanted to know what everyone else has.. i probaby wont be using it for archery much . just rifle season . Elk or Whitetail . I Had one of those little folding 3 leg chairs to sit on.. The chair was a little low for me . the windows a little high . Im a bigger dude . 6 feet 250 Pds.. Myself and the owner were cozy .. but there was still things i noticed .. First, was there was only one small pocket to keep gear in . no hangers of any kind to hang gear , jackets , bugles .. etc.. But it did do nice to cut the wind and keep us hidden . i was amazed how fast we put it up , Easy as Pie .. So what would you recommend ?
That's why you carry your gear in a pack. I use a Barronett 350 Grounder. Seeing as how I hunt most often with a ATV, packing gear is not an issue. Couple of fold up chairs, small collapsible table, shooting stick, folding single burner propane stove incase something needs heating. 'tis truly comfort.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
10-12-2016, 08:46 PM
Of Course i carry my gear in my pack . tips . but instead of having it laying around the ground or having to sort thru my pack . . its nice to have it strategically placed in pockets or on hangers .over 6 thousand posts you spend a lot of time on here !.. Hey i dont blame you , i love this site . lots of good people , lots of good advice and gear reviews .. So tell me about the 350 grounder .Sounds like a Ameristep is a popular brand i should check into .

Jagermeister
10-12-2016, 11:49 PM
Of Course i carry my gear in my pack . tips . but instead of having it laying around the ground or having to sort thru my pack . . its nice to have it strategically placed in pockets or on hangers .over 6 thousand posts you spend a lot of time on here !.. Hey i dont blame you , i love this site . lots of good people , lots of good advice and gear reviews .. So tell me about the 350 grounder .Sounds like a Ameristep is a popular brand i should check into .
See my start date? About the only thing that I share in common with Jelvis. He started on the same date although if you check his profile it says he started on 07-18-2006 and his post count is currently at 20,516 which is erroneous too as it was about 5000 higher that the current number and he has been absent to quite a while. The point is, my post average is <1.5/day. Well eclipsed by Stone Sheep Steve who posted above mine.
Anyhow, I am sure that whatever brand you want to go with, they all will be fairly similar to each other. Hell, my Eskimo ice fishing hut is pretty much the same except for the color and windows. It too pops up the same as the Grounder 350. The picture in the following link makes it look like the walls are concave, the corners are concave and the walls are convex. You can see that in the schematic drawing illustrated below the pictures. Aside from that most others are likely to be the same. One thing, the windows do have a camo screen that you could shoot through. I just open the screen enough to allow the firearm or bow to clear. The screen further obscures the nice shiny white face from being exposed. It says it is big enough for three people and technically it is, but two is better and face in opposite directions.
Here's the link http://www.barronettblinds.com/grounder-350-hunting-blind-with-bloodtrail-woodland-camo

07-18-2006

Buckmeister
10-13-2016, 01:32 AM
I made my own out of old calf hutches and placed them permanently on my relatives private property. Pain in the butt to get them into the bush, but they work pretty good. Lots of room inside, and I can place as many hooks or shelves inside as I want. They required some wall reinforcing once modified in order to hold up to the snow load of winter. First time I sat in one I had 3 does pass by at less then 5 yards! This will be the 4th season using them. Two bucks have been shot from one of these so far.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_0161a.jpg

srupp
10-13-2016, 10:38 AM
Hmm used one last February when guiding for wolves...pretty big...plenty of room for gear..heater..lunches..hopefully use it again this February.
Cheers
Steven

Brez
10-13-2016, 11:40 AM
my first time using ground blinds was this year, for a pronghorn archery hunt. We used Bone Collectors and Double Bulls. All three of us preferred the Double Bulls as they were more roomy (I have a long axle-to-axle bow) and large removable mesh sections. Just a tip that I was given that I will pass on is to wear all black and blacken your face and hands and the critters won't see you - even from a couple of meters away. Another tip is to lay 4 of those interconnecting foam play mats on the ground to cut down on noise and moisture/cold.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
10-13-2016, 05:38 PM
I like that your old time members for sure . i cant even imagine how long it take me to make that many posts.. And i like the looks of that grounder 350 blind . nice high windows. that you for adding the photo . Has anyone used a small burner to create heat in them ? if one should get cold . . i like the price on the Grounder more that the Double Bull !. lol

Stone Sheep Steve
10-13-2016, 05:44 PM
I just set up the Carnivore blind in the backyard. Bought it 1 1/2 years ago but never used it last year.

Easy to set up...way faster than the doghouse. Windows are adjustable up and down....really flexible depending on your height and chair. Nice and roomy for archery. I'm 6'2".

Lots of loops to add natural vegetation to brush it in.

For a heater I use a Coleman Catalytic heater. Someone gave it to me years ago and when I finally opened the box a few years ago, I found it had never been used. Uses white gas. Keeps us plenty warm and is completely silent. I even use it in my treestand.

SSS

todbartell
10-13-2016, 06:17 PM
A couple years ago I got a Primos Double Bull "Shack attack" for Xmas, I look forward to using it with my 2yr old son in a couple more years. It's roomy enough even my older son Gatehouse can fit in there too :mrgreen:

todbartell
10-13-2016, 06:21 PM
as for post count - you need to be an old school HBC post whore like me! :D

RiverOtter
10-13-2016, 07:34 PM
Ameristep Dog House, Brinkman LP catalytic heater, tripod stool and a tarp for my midday nap....err, to set gear down on.....:mrgreen:

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
10-13-2016, 11:30 PM
as for post count - you need to be an old school HBC post whore like me! :D No kidding . .wow. .lol.

blaine
10-14-2016, 02:42 AM
one thing to remember though is to not have the Velcro mesh done up on the windows as it is very Noisey on a frosty morning :shock:

Backwoods
10-14-2016, 05:59 AM
I have an Ameristep Doghouse. The doghouse is decent for two guys, Bought it
it on sale for 50% off also. Been using it this season a few times now

Cyrus
10-14-2016, 08:01 AM
I have four as well. Go with whatever says is two man tent as it will be okay for two but even better for one person. I have the Baronett 250 which I have had since 2012. Still going strong but zippers are a bit noisy. A few zippers have broke in the windows over the years. Good quality for the money. I like the fact the screen mesh opens all the way and is also on a zipper, some don't and only have a small peep hole, when it gets to last 30 min of light it makes things difficult. I have two Ameristep bone collectors. Nice quiet material on the outside. Good material. I must have two different models because one just has the peep hole in the mesh screen and the other does not. The mesh is kept on by velcro which is loud when undoing. My last is the Ameristep man cave, too my knowledge the biggest one out there. You could fit 4 people in there if needed easily. As well you can stand and still shoot. Overall very good but I find the tent poles not as stiff as others. A huge blind though and if you want your family with you the one to get.

Keep in mind these things do not like wind, especially the an cave one. Any wind upwards of 50 km in an open area and you can kiss it goodbye. I had two previous others I left out and they got trashed, broken tent rods and ripped them up. I would suggest getting bigger tent pegs that have to be nailed into the ground to avoid this. The little narrow tiny ones are easy to get in but will pull out easily when the wind hits especially this time of year when the ground has a lot of moisture in it.

For a chair I have a blind lawn chair. You sit up high and straight and has a really good shooting position, much better than just a reg lawnchair. Also cheap ($35 cabelas) and easy to pack. There are some real nice ones you can buy that swivel but packing them would be a pain. I uses a primos scent spray as well, they smell like a china factory when new. Then get a tripod..if you are shooting a rifle and you are set. I have shot a lot of deer from one of these. It sure is nice to get the drop on them when they come out instead of the other way around.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
10-14-2016, 12:17 PM
Nice reviews . Thank you thank you Members .. thats what i love about this Site.. People taking the time to give good solid Advice and reviews on the Products you have bought and used.. Save so much money and disappointment later . And yes a good folding chair is a must ,Its the things that make it worth while .I noticed the velcro is noisy too but i just open and close it slow . i planned on stocking up with scent killer and other sprays to kill scents .

Ourea
10-14-2016, 12:40 PM
Quite a few blinds use the "Hub" pull/pop out walls.
Although incredibly easy and quick to set up they are somewhat fragile when it comes to wind stress and snow accumulation.

As mentioned by some, you have to anchor ur blind down.... hard.
I would ask you consider setting up ur blind of choice and tie it down to some logs you drag over in addition to floor pegs.

Spikes and pegs will pull out under any amount of wind.

Another lesson I've learned is to cut a pole and fit it to the center height of ur blind.
When u leave, wedge the cut pole in the peak of the blind.

I have had several blinds collapse under snow, breaking some of the spokes on the hub in the process.
Coming in to sit and finding ur blind either destroyed by wind or collapsed under snow is vey frustrating.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
10-14-2016, 07:04 PM
Although incredibly easy and quick to set up they are somewhat fragile when it comes to wind stress and snow accumulation.

I would ask you consider setting up ur blind of choice and tie it down to some logs you drag over in addition to floor pegs.

Another lesson I've learned is to cut a pole and fit it to the center height of ur blind.

I have had several blinds collapse under snow, breaking some of the spokes on the hub in the process.
Coming in to sit and finding ur blind either destroyed by wind or collapsed under snow is vey frustrating.
Good idea. .I never thought of snow load being a problem . Snowing good in the mountains around here right now .

Sitkaspruce
10-14-2016, 08:46 PM

A couple of other hints that I use:

- I remove the screen mesh and toss it, then I take an old black t-shirts and place them where the windows would be if the window was done up. That way the animals get used to a black hole in the blind when the window is down.
- make sure you are dressed in dark colours to blend in to the blind
- Put them up sooner rather than later....deer will notice them and can change their patterns. I usually will place them up a week before I place any grain or other attractant.
- double what Ourea says about the centre post as snow will collapse them fast.

You do need patience and unless you like to just stare and day dream, or you hunt a place where there is deer all over the place, you will need to find something to pass the time. I like to read, so a book is a must, I also bring a tablet to play mindless games.

Cheers

SS

Cyrus
10-14-2016, 08:59 PM
A couple of other hints that I use:

- I remove the screen mesh and toss it, then I take an old black t-shirts and place them where the windows would be if the window was done up. That way the animals get used to a black hole in the blind when the window is down.
- make sure you are dressed in dark colours to blend in to the blind
- Put them up sooner rather than later....deer will notice them and can change their patterns. I usually will place them up a week before I place any grain or other attractant.
- double what Ourea says about the centre post as snow will collapse them fast.

You do need patience and unless you like to just stare and day dream, or you hunt a place where there is deer all over the place, you will need to find something to pass the time. I like to read, so a book is a must, I also bring a tablet to play mindless games.

Cheers

SS

still beats road hunting...I do evening hunts mostly in the blinds and the last hour is usually when something happens. Squirrels will tell you when something is coming out.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-14-2016, 09:26 PM
Some great points made on here that I will definitely takentp
heart.

One other thing is that we cover each chair in a fleece
blanket then place a larger blanket across us with the heater between us.
Can you say 'schvetty balls' ?
Pretty damn warm