PDA

View Full Version : Where are the bucks??

Cyrus
10-08-2016, 11:51 AM
27 trail cameras set up since Aug I have had pics of about 6 bucks and nothing over the very small dinky two points. My hunting trips have been more of the same, does, fawns, no bucks....I know its October but it really seems like there is nothing moving or out there. I am just guessing all this rain this year might have something to do with it? Normally this time of year I see a few bucks almost every time I go but the small ones aren't even around? Hit the highway or the road to my house and I see bucks??? what gives?

Buckmeister
10-08-2016, 11:55 AM
27 Cameras????? Dude, I think there might be a self-help group out there for this obsession, lol. We've got 2 cameras set up for the last few months, only one buck, 4 point mule. And not much of ANYTHING the last 4 weeks, weird.

Cyrus
10-08-2016, 12:00 PM
27 Cameras????? Dude, I think there might be a self-help group out there for this obsession, lol. We've got 2 cameras set up for the last few months, only one buck, 4 point mule. And not much of ANYTHING the last 4 weeks, weird.

I had more but have lost a few due to bear attacks and human garbage that take them...but those are the risks I guess. Last year with them likely to sell them as a lot next year. They help but very time consuming.

Surrey Boy
10-08-2016, 12:21 PM
They've gone urban. Find an urban hunting spot, buy a crossbow, and tag out like me.

monasheemountainman
10-08-2016, 12:48 PM
I had more but have lost a few due to bear attacks and human garbage that take them...but those are the risks I guess. Last year with them likely to sell them as a lot next year. They help but very time consuming.

Glad I don't hunt in your area I don't wanna get caught on camera taking a shit! You should host a season of Big Brother! Backwoods edition !!!

weird you aren't seeing bucks! I think you will connect though keep atter!

Dash
10-08-2016, 01:08 PM
Glad I don't hunt in your area I don't wanna get caught on camera taking a shit! You should host a season of Big Brother! Backwoods edition !!!

weird you aren't seeing bucks! I think you will connect though keep atter!

Haha that's exactly what I was going to say. Going to wrap myself in a mini tarp next time I wander off to do my business.. lol

GrandA
10-08-2016, 01:13 PM
Thats awesome the more cameras the better. I used to get upset when all my cameras showed no bucks. IMO if they show lots of does stay and wait it out bucks will show up. If the cameras show just a few does take the positive approach and know that for some reason your area doesnt hold many deer...and you wont be wasting your time. GL

rocksteady
10-08-2016, 01:22 PM
I have a 4 by 3 hiding in my deep freeze :)

Osprey
10-08-2016, 01:22 PM
Think you need a to pick a new area. In some areas more mature bucks seem to leave the area during certain seasons while the does and young bucks will stick to an area. You could just give it time. I know a few areas that come October 20th the deer just seem to "show up". I have several trail cameras and each time you put one out is a learning experience. think to yourself, why would a deer be here? And when each cam is successful in finding a good location that consistently gets you pics of deer than take that into consideration when putting out your next cam.

markt308
10-08-2016, 01:26 PM
27?........my goodness haha. Hopefully as the weather changes in the next couple weeks you will have more luck on the cams

Glenny
10-08-2016, 02:53 PM
I usually find them in groups of 2 -4 around the 12th.

smallfry14
10-08-2016, 03:58 PM
I hunted hard for the last 2 weeks of October last year, found usually 6-10 does a day but never saw a single buck until Oct.31. a Small spiker. 2 weeks later, the first snowfall of november came and the rut started kicking in, there were bucks crawling all over the same area.

mikeman20
10-08-2016, 05:53 PM
They sure ain't where I am. Hopefully some colder weather will come soon

HarryToolips
10-08-2016, 10:08 PM
Hunting pressure....

Rayne
10-08-2016, 10:10 PM
I took a buck today in 8 and he was in full rut. Just a spike but boy did he smell

adriaticum
10-08-2016, 10:48 PM
Today was the ugliest day to hunt but we got it done

monasheemountainman
10-08-2016, 10:56 PM
Today was the ugliest day to hunt but we got it done
Fckin rights adriaticum I've been waiting for you to post up a kill you've had a lot of good posts let's hear about it!!!!

Shikari300WSM
10-09-2016, 01:07 AM
Do you have a salt block set up to bring them in? I find if you do the bucks don't tend to show up come September because they don't require too much of the mineral. Of course you still get a few but majority don't come around. However if your getting does - give it another 3 weeks and the bucks will be all over them

J_06
10-09-2016, 10:53 AM
Damn, those 27 cameras sure turned out to be a great investment. Really helping to put the meat down!

Salty
10-09-2016, 11:26 AM

I don't think you'll find many (any?) folks interested in buying 27 trail cams?? :) Maybe if they're real cheap there'd be interest by some wanting to flip them and make a buck. Lots of 2, 3 or 4 would be better. fwiw I have 3 cams I find them a blessing and a curse they take a lot of time and mature bucks aren't likely to cross your path and pose for a pic when tracks show they're in the area in my experience. If a guy was anal about scent and prep at each sight maybe, but I haven't had that success. Just my 2 cents

Cyrus
10-09-2016, 11:28 AM
Damn, those 27 cameras sure turned out to be a great investment. Really helping to put the meat down!
actually that has very little to do with it...more of a hobby and pic collector...but yeah sometimes they help. Most big bucks that I get pics of I never actually see.

adriaticum
10-09-2016, 12:35 PM
Fckin rights adriaticum I've been waiting for you to post up a kill you've had a lot of good posts let's hear about it!!!!

I will post up when I get the pic.
Buddy took the picture and he is still up in the mountains.